Yellow fever for Brazil?

NDRB

There aren't any requiered vaccinations for entry to those ports (and shore excursions) on HAL Amsterdam's route, are there?

I had read that a yellow fever vacination is sometimes required for entry to Brazil , but it looks like the CDC only recommmends it if you are traveling outside urban areas?

Nina

Why not just get the vaccine to be safe? We had the Yellow Fever vaccination and it is good for 10 years. I've heard that there are mosquitos in Iguazu Falls. Mosquitos love areas that have lots of water. Also, there are thousands of Muslims who live near Iguazu Falls. I was surprised to learn that.

Has anyone else (not going to the Amazon or Iguazu falls) been on HAL lately without the yellow fever vaccination?

Nina

Me...I just returned from the Amsterdam and went to the Falls and Machu Picchu with no shot. Sure wouldn't take it if I didn't have to.

We were on Marco Polo on the Amazon last March, leaving from Buenos Aires. We had to have the Yellow Fever shot. It had to be done two weeks before you got on the ship. We had a three day precuise hotel stay in BA before that. We heard that several people had been told by their travel agent that it was not necessary. Since it was over a week from BA to the first Amazon port, we heard that they were given the shots in BA (two days before the cruise) and they accepted that. Wouldn't take the chance.

They checked for our yellow card very carefully as we embarked.

We were on HAL Amsterdam in December, Rio to Valparaiso. No need for shots. Noone asked to see our yellow cards. We also went to Iguazu and no shots required there, either. BTW, we were there three days and did not see a single mosquito.

Karen

Just back from cruising from Fort Lauderdale via the panama canal around South America and ending up in Buenos Aires. We also went to Iguazzu Falls and did not need the Yellow Fever Shots.

I was surprised at how few bugs there were at the falls.

Have a great cruise and don't worry!!!

Ann

We just received our docs for our SA cruise on the Amsterdam. There was a notice that said YELLOW FEVER VACCINATIONS are MANDATORY and guests who do not have proof of vaccination will not be allowed on board and will not be eligible for a refund. This notice is for the March 30th and April 15th sailings. Hope this helps.

Carol

Haven't got my docs yet, but I called my TA.

He called HAL and they assured him they were not needed in Rio, but you do have to have them for the Valparaiso to California leg.

Since we are going to the Falls, we went ahead and got a shot. Had to go to the county health department (and make an appointment so they'd have em on hand.) Cost $75 each.

Because of my age, she said it was more likely I would have a reaction -- fever or flu-like symptoms, but it has been four days now and I feel fine.

Not sure if it just a ship thing.. but Oceania sent a warning notice a few weeks ago with docs to anyone on Amazon area cruise that Yellow fever shot is mandatory.. so you should check with your ship ( and don't 4get Brazil visas)..25 people didn't get their visas on our cruise and they were not allowed to board ( nor was the ship allowed to enter Brazil until they received them) luckily they were able to expedite them but they still missed a few days cruise do to not having them!

Just my two cents. I'm going from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale (via Peru, Ecuador, Aruba) on Princess. I was notified a few weeks ago that the yellow fever vaccine was mandatory. After shopping around I found local prices (San Diego) varied quite a bit--from $92 up to $200. I got my shot last Wednesday. On Sunday I had a really bad reaction with flu-like symptoms. I'm feeling better today, but it was two days of discomfort. BTW, according to the CDC website, reactions generally occur 5-7 days after the shot.

I've been told by three HAL reps (incliuding one who checked with a supervisor to be sure) that the Yellow Fever vaccination is only required if you are on the Valparaiso to Seattle segment, not if you are only on the Rio to Valparaiso leg of the cruise (which an earlier poster had also stated).

So, hopefully they are correct!

Yes, that Brazilain visa is a must!

Nina

Archived