If we book a GTY cabin...

jdfloyd

In the past we booked specific cabins. On all but one we were upgraded from as far out as 2 months to finding we were upgraded when we checked in.

Recently I booked two GTY. I was upgraded one category. On a Transatlantic this coming September I booked a GTY and was assigned a cabin about a month ago. No upgrade. On an Alaska booked for May I booked a specific cabin so far No upgrade. As others have said, the Upgrade Fairy can strike anytime. Even after final payment.

Expect what you paid for and be happy if you get an upgrade. It's possible but should never be expected. Most "upgrades" are the same cabin type but a different location. I booked a GTY (the cheapest outside possible) for my Royal Princess cruise in April and was upgraded several categories. The only real difference is the deck and location. I'm now mid-ship on the Promenade deck. Color me happy. :)

Pick up a set of dice, roll them, and that will be your chances of an upgrade. No one can predict who or who will not receive one. Your chances are just exactly as good as the next passenger. Booking late, booking and paying in full, booking a certain cabin type, none of it really matters. It will all depend on the mood of the computer when it is time to dish out those upgrades.

Best of Luck though, I hope you get lucky!

I have sailed 7 times with Princess have NEVER been upgraded. Did Gty this trip assigned a cabin about 2 weeks after booking and it hasn't been changed. As you can see i sail in 10 days...oh well I will be happy with what I ahve.

Just a quick question..anyone out there ever travel solo and get an upgrade?? This trip is a single. Past trips have been two to a cabin. :rolleyes:

Remember one thing, a true upgrade is not an upgrade in the same category. These do not happen as often anymore as they used to. Most upgrades are just from one cabin to another one exactly the same but to another part of the ship.

Sorry, I can't remember hearing of any solo travelers being upgraded, at least not lately. :(

After over 30 cruises on Princess, we see very few upgrades and only have had one real upgrade. Categories mean nothing in the way of an upgrade. If you go from an inside to an outside that is an upgrade. Not from one deck to another. Princess inside cabins are generally 135 Square Feet. One deck up or one deck down does not mean much of a difference. On the Grand class ships, the higher you go deck wise, the more motion.

I just had an upgrade from an AE Gty to an AA. Some of you are saying that is not an upgrade. To me it was a substantial $$$ savings. I call that an upgrade.

In the past I have been moved up as high as 15 Cats.

A GTY is the way to go....

Our last 6 cruises we have booked GTY. All have been 3 to 9 categories up. As "they" say some have been a true upgrade. ie. Obstructed to Balconey. Our friends (elite) went from outside to mini. You never know. We never book at GTY that we won't be happy with if no changes. One change was only 3 days before sailing.

;)

Our last 6 cruises we have booked GTY. All have been 3 to 9 categories up. As "they" say some have been a true upgrade. ie. Obstructed to Balconey. Our friends (elite) went from outside to mini. You never know. We never book at GTY that we won't be happy with if no changes. One change was only 3 days before sailing.

This is confusing to me - I thought on Princess an upgrade was from an inside to an outside cabin.

I wonder if any consideration is given to past passengers who have cruised with Princess several times like 10+.

We booked an inside cabin for Alaska in 6/05 - requested an upgrade. Wonder what will happen? I have been told that a cabin for 3 passengers is difficult to get on the Regal.

dottycan

I agree with ERsecurity. On both of our last cruises we booked the lowest inside guarantee. We were still assigned an inside, but several categories higher. Booking these categories at the beginning would have cost us several hundred dollars more.

The price difference between the lowest suite and just 3 categories higher can be more than $1000 pp, sometimes, depending on the cruise. That, to me, would be an upgrade!!! IMHO

I agree that you need to be happy with what you book, and that the only real upgrade is one from one cabin type to another (ie, inside to outside; balcony to mini; etc.) The lower category you book, particularly a GTY, the greater your chance of upgrade, particularly on the Grand class ships, because there are so few of those cabins available. The higher the category that you book, the less chance you have for an upgrade because there are fewer "better" categories available. And of course, when a ship is full, there is less of a chance of an upgrade.

That being said, we have sailed frequently with Princess, and prefer mini-suites. Therefore, we book a mini-suite. Although we have been upgraded to other locations on the ship, we have not had a true upgrade. And that is fine with us, because we are getting what we want. For those who really don't care about their cabin type, and who are very cost-conscious, they can book the cheapest inside cabin on a GTY basis and stand a very good chance of receiving some type of upgrade.

Archived