Jewel VS Gem Feb sailing out of NYC

Olstick

My wife and I wish to sail to the Carribean out of NYC on Feb 1st or 2nd. I see that the Jewel has Nickleodeon on board. I would like to have your opinion as to which ship you prefer. I understand It will be cold (We live in the NY area) Please let us know of any pro's and con's about the ships and which of the 2 ships might be better for a retired couple. Your opinion is important. We have sailed on NCL numerous times but not on the Gem or Jewel. Any feedback will be appreciated.

My wife and I wish to sail to the Carribean out of NYC on Feb 1st or 2nd. I see that the Jewel has Nickleodeon on board. I would like to have your opinion as to which ship you prefer. I understand It will be cold (We live in the NY area) Please let us know of any pro's and con's about the ships and which of the 2 ships might be better for a retired couple. Your opinion is important. We have sailed on NCL numerous times but not on the Gem or Jewel. Any feedback will be appreciated.

It will be cold the first night, but usually by noon on the first sea day you will see the sun worshipers out by the pool...:)

GEM and JEWEL are sister ships, with only a few differences. The GEM has a bowling alley/bliss lounge, and the JEWEL doesn't is the biggest difference. The GEM has a nice bridge viewing area, so you can watch the bridge during the day while the ship is cruising along. The Jewel has Nick, for the kids, which on most cruises doesn't really affect other areas of the ship and is limited to the kids club. There is one sailing on the Jewel in February which is a total nick cruise, which will have the ship taken over by the Nick characters....I believe.

Either ship will be an excellent choice. I know in January there are price differences, so I would go with the cheaper of the two....and the one that best fits your schedule since they cruise a day apart.

Friends of mine had the Gem booked for January 2011 but recently changed to the Jewel sailing because she saved over $1500 for the same suite with a one day later sailing date.

I believe the biggest difference is that Gem has a bowling alley and the rock wall.

I have read on these boards that the Jewel buffet is set up a little better as far as flow.

It seems that they are really more alike than different, except for some of the prices and what I mentioned above.

Hope you have a great time.

I've sailed on both ships and they are both great. I will however, tell you that I chose the Gem for my December sailing so I won't have to deal with the Nickalodeon issue. I've heard that it doesn't really affect the cruise, but I prefer not to take the chance. I like a quiet more older crowd so I went with the Gem.

We were on the jewel at the end of august. we have 5 year old but we aren't kids (we qualify for AARP).

You have to look really hard to find the nick events on the normal cruises (not the totally nick cruise). You won't even know the nick characters are there. They have the activities segregated, there are no decorations and that time of year the kids are in school anyway. The activities are a nick breakfast, one hour long nick at the pool event and then a nick photo op. frankly, as a mom of a nick fan, it's a bust. oh yes, don't forget the nick stuffed toys in the gift shop....which every kid wants.

in short you won't even notice it. if you like a sunday departure, get a good rate and want the best exec chef in the fleet, sail on the jewel.

if you like a saturday departure, get a good rate and want one of the best concierges in the fleet, sail on the gem.

Jewel has the bridge observation area as well, Deck 11 Port. Even when they close the blinds (when docking/pilot aboard or at night) there is still a navigation and radar repeater.

I did not even see Nick stuff when on the 9/4 cruise except I went to the Nick Live in the main theater and it was very funny (even though I don't have kids). You don't have to worry about it unless its the All Nick cruise that is in February.

January and the first week of Feb. both the GEM and JEWEL do 10 day cruises to the Carribean.

oh that's right...I totally forgot. Thanks.

I just noticed that during May the Jewel is doing a 3 9 day carib. cruises....nice!!!!

Having been on both the Gem and the Jewel it is really a toss up if I would have to choose between the two as they are very similar.

The buffet area on the Gem is really annoying when it is busy as is the pool area on the Jewel which was always crowded with a small adult pool and larger family pool with a slide and hard to navigate on sea days. We loved the crew on the Jewel and the hotel manager was the best ever.

My opinion would be choose by the pricing and if that is similar flip a coin but the Jewel has the slight edge because navigating the Gem's buffet for a 9 or 10 day cruise would not be fun.

are they adding an extra port as well for the 10 day? or is it just arriving back on May 10th?

I'm not sure. The website is still a bit confusing, other than the dates. One part shows round trip from Miami, when the ship in fact goes out of NY....when you click on itinerary Antigua shows up on the map as a stop....but it isn't listed in the daily itinerary with the times.

My online TA still doesn't show the JEWEL going to the Carribean at all out of NY in May. :confused:

Seems odd that the prices are all the same... I suppose they will correct that once someone points it out to them...:D

Actually one of those is a 10 day...May 1st -10th, and is the same price as the other 2 cruises. :)

technically you could be correct..if you call debark on May 10 a day. If not it looks like a 9 night cruise...just like the other 2.

I'm not sure. The website is still a bit confusing, other than the dates. One part shows round trip from Miami, when the ship in fact goes out of NY....when you click on itinerary Antigua shows up on the map as a stop....but it isn't listed in the daily itinerary with the times.

My online TA still doesn't show the JEWEL going to the Carribean at all out of NY in May. :confused:

Seems odd that the prices are all the same... I suppose they will correct that once someone points it out to them...:D

they did have some sort of 10/11 day thing going on for May 2011 but I think that all got moved around because of the previously scheduled drydock for the first week in May. I thought they cancelled the Miami thing and it looks like they added the 3 9 day cruises. Either way, I am on the April 24 cruise and am thrilled not to be the last cruise pre drydock. I wish our cruise could be bumped up to 9 days!!!:D

Archived