Who will be the NCL Epic Captain and Cruise Director for 12-11-10 Sailing?

cowbuoy

I read that Captain Trygve Vorren and Captain Hakan Svedung are the Captains of the Epic, but is there a way to know which one is scheduled to be Captain onboard 12-11-10 ?

Also, NCL released that Captain Vorren is Norwegian but doesn't say the nationality of Captain Svedung (although it does say he lives in Sweden).

Does anyone know the nationality of Captain Svendung?

Same questions for Cruise Directors Klaus Lugmaier and Sean Wurmhoeringer.

Does anyone know who is scheduled (or how to find out) for the 12-11-10 sailing and their nationalities?

Also, any hints on how to pronounce their names (first and/or last) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Captain Hakan Svedung is Swedish and has just gone on vacation, so Captain Trygve Vorren would be scheduled to be onboard for the 12-11-10 sailing (they normally work on a 10 week rotation).

Klaus Lugmaier and Sean Wurmhoeringer are Hotel Directors (not Cruise Directors)

I'm curious as to why it even matters

I just thought it would be nice to know the name of the person in charge of the boat and in charge of "hotel" portion while we are on our cruise and be able to say hello and pronounce their names properly if we ran into them.

I just thought it would be nice to know the name of the person in charge of the boat and in charge of "hotel" portion while we are on our cruise and be able to say hello and pronounce their names properly if we ran into them.

That is a very good response. I would agree with you.

For this information, I think it is best to just wait and ask at the pier. That way a) you don't have to worry that the information might change before you sail, and b) you get to hear someone pronounce the name(s) correctly.

Besides....the people at checkin are going to be more aware of who is in charge that day than people here on a message board are going to be months in advance.

I see. Well, hope that works out for you. :)

That is a very good response. I would agree with you.

For this information, I think it is best to just wait and ask at the pier. That way a) you don't have to worry that the information might change before you sail, and b) you get to hear someone pronounce the name(s) correctly.

Besides....the people at checkin are going to be more aware of who is in charge that day than people here on a message board are going to be months in advance.

I doubt it. The people doing check in at most ports are per diem employees who may be checking in passengers on an NCL cruise today, a Carnival cruise tomorrow and a Royal Caribbean cruise the following day.

I doubt it. The people doing check in at most ports are per diem employees who may be checking in passengers on an NCL cruise today, a Carnival cruise tomorrow and a Royal Caribbean cruise the following day.

Well, duh...but that is why you ask the question of the Cruise Line Personnel and not the contracted workers at the pier.

And...if you don't know the difference, then you're probably not going to be able to identify the Hotel Director and/or Captain of the ship by sight either.

Well, duh...but that is why you ask the question of the Cruise Line Personnel and not the contracted workers at the pier.

And...if you don't know the difference, then you're probably not going to be able to identify the Hotel Director and/or Captain of the ship by sight either.

Well, duh..you're the one who suggested they ask "the people at checkin"...and who checks you in? The per diem employees.

Well, duh..you're the one who suggested they ask "the people at checkin"...and who checks you in? The per diem employees.

Sorry...I didn't say "checkin"...I said "at the pier" where there are both Cruise Line and contracted employees working. And again, if someone doesn't know the difference...

Sorry...I didn't say "checkin"...I said "at the pier" where there are both Cruise Line and contracted employees working. And again, if someone doesn't know the difference...

I suggest you reread the last sentence of your post:

"Besides....the people at checkin are going to be more aware of who is in charge that day than people here on a message board are going to be months in advance."

I suggest you reread the last sentence of your post:

"Besides....the people at checkin are going to be more aware of who is in charge that day than people here on a message board are going to be months in advance."

Right...but again..."ask at the pier". What I said about people at checkin is that they are aware of who is in charge. If you are asking a question about Ship's Personnel (forgetting that you should know the difference) a contracted employee will either refer you to their supervisor or to an actual NCL employee...as they are in charge.

Are we done trying to pick apart my posts yet?

So do you know what each of them look like so that even if you know their names you'll be able to address them?

So do you know what each of them look like so that even if you know their names you'll be able to address them?

Well, I know that the Captain is the one with all the stripes on his sleeves!

Also, there are pics on the NCL Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=154642012619

If anyone has pics of the hotel directors (and cruise directors) that would come in handy!

Thanks!

Well, I know that the Captain is the one with all the stripes on his sleeves!

Also, there are pics on the NCL Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=154642012619

If anyone has pics of the hotel directors (and cruise directors) that would come in handy!

Thanks!

I don't think that Klaus Lugmaier will still be onboard as he is normally shore-based in Miami as Director of Shipboard Operations and came onboard Epic for the introduction phase of the ship.

Suggest you join the Cruise Critic roll call for your sailing and then go along to the Meet & Greet - most times several of the senior officers (incl. the Captain and Hotel Director) attend these and you may get a chance to meet them.

I don't think that Klaus Lugmaier will still be onboard as he is normally shore-based in Miami as Director of Shipboard Operations and came onboard Epic for the introduction phase of the ship.

Suggest you join the Cruise Critic roll call for your sailing and then go along to the Meet & Greet - most times several of the senior officers (incl. the Captain and Hotel Director) attend these and you may get a chance to meet them.

Actually, that is a very good observation...

Klaus actually left the Epic on Oct 2nd...he is currently on the Norwegian Jade. Denis is serving on the Epic at this time.

I haven't been afraid of talking with the captains on both of my NCL cruises. On these cruises the captains have been countrymen from Finland and they seemed happy to exchange a few words. On the Gem, the captain came often to the Garden Cafe in the morning to greet passengers. Seems that NCL has many Nordic captains.

• 1 year later...
I am with you on this one...However, if you need to get a hold of Klaus his extension is 8888...He is proud to give it out to anyone that will listen...:)

have fun on the epic i am going back on the norwegian pearl for my 3erd time next year cant wait did u hear about this sad news ??

Capt. Trygve Vorren, whose last assignment was a high-profile one—bringing out Norwegian Epic—died Aug. 2 after a battle with cancer.

Vorren had a long career with Norwegian Cruise Line, starting aboard the Norway.

When his appointment as one of two masters for Norwegian Epic was announced during a webcast, Vorren noted that at 1,068 feet, Epic is longer than the Norway which, at 1,035 feet, was the world’s largest cruise ship when he joined it as a first officer in 1980.

Vorren brought out Norwegian Epic in 2010 and served on board through early 2011.

Norwegian Cruise Line called Vorren’s death ‘a great loss for our company.’

After sailing on the Norway, Vorren served on the Skyward, Sunward II, Southward, Dreamward, Leeward, Royal Odyssey, Starward, Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty.

From 1999 through 2001, he sailed on Norwegian Star and Norwegian Sea. In 2001, he joined the Norwegian Sun site team at Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven and was assigned to that ship until June 2006. He then sailed on Norwegian Dawn and in 2009, on Norwegian Jade in the Mediterranean.

He had attended maritime college in Norway with Capt. Svein Sleipnes, NCL’s svp marine operations.

When not at sea, Vorren enjoyed spending time at his vacation home in the mountains of western North Carolina and in Norway. His favorite pastime, NCL told employees in a note, was ‘sitting on a river bank, rod in hand, waiting for the catch of the day.’

He is survived by two sons, Kristopher and William.

have fun on the epic i am going back on the norwegian pearl for my 3erd time next year cant wait did u hear about this sad news ??

Capt. Trygve Vorren, whose last assignment was a high-profile one—bringing out Norwegian Epic—died Aug. 2 after a battle with cancer.

Vorren had a long career with Norwegian Cruise Line, starting aboard the Norway.

When his appointment as one of two masters for Norwegian Epic was announced during a webcast, Vorren noted that at 1,068 feet, Epic is longer than the Norway which, at 1,035 feet, was the world’s largest cruise ship when he joined it as a first officer in 1980.

Vorren brought out Norwegian Epic in 2010 and served on board through early 2011.

Norwegian Cruise Line called Vorren’s death ‘a great loss for our company.’

After sailing on the Norway, Vorren served on the Skyward, Sunward II, Southward, Dreamward, Leeward, Royal Odyssey, Starward, Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty.

From 1999 through 2001, he sailed on Norwegian Star and Norwegian Sea. In 2001, he joined the Norwegian Sun site team at Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven and was assigned to that ship until June 2006. He then sailed on Norwegian Dawn and in 2009, on Norwegian Jade in the Mediterranean.

He had attended maritime college in Norway with Capt. Svein Sleipnes, NCL’s svp marine operations.

When not at sea, Vorren enjoyed spending time at his vacation home in the mountains of western North Carolina and in Norway. His favorite pastime, NCL told employees in a note, was ‘sitting on a river bank, rod in hand, waiting for the catch of the day.’

He is survived by two sons, Kristopher and William.

I'm confused as to why you brought back this year-old thread? :confused:

Archived