How do they choose states for Residency Discount?

It's kind of like the upgrade fairy (we know that she gets drunk and arbitrarily flies into random reservations). They have a residency discount genie. And like the upgrade fairy, he gets liquored up and flies around a map of the US. When he crashes into the map he looks at the state he's in (pun intended), and that's the state that gets the discount! I hope this clears things up.;)

I've often wondered that myself, but I have to vote for the dartboard. I have no idea! There doesn't seem to be a pattern that I have been able to figure out. I would love to hear the real answer.

---------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises – 66 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/2008

RCCL Oasis of the Seas –7 Days Eastern Carib. with our Friends – 4/17 – 4/24/2010

Booked & Paid Cruises

Not yet… ready to pull the trigger…

Planned Cruises

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

The Med – 14 day – 2013?

One theory I head that makes sense is that they offer it to states where there is a relatively low number of people already booked for that particular sailing. This lessens the number of price drops they have to give.

No, sillies!

They use "Rock, Paper, Scissors!":p

Come now...

A modern, forward thinking company like RCCL would not stoop so low as to use such a childish game for something that important...

They use "Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock".

PRC

I wondered about this also. Booking the Liberty last month for January, it seems that there wasnt a Residency Rate in the months before booking during the WOW Sale. Searching all the cruise sites, I still havent seen a NJ Residents Rates. Our cruise on the Explorer last Thanksgiving was booked within a month of sailing. A week or so after booking, someone on CC informed me that they were offering a Residents Rate for NJ, so they may offer them in the beginning and again closer to embarkation.

They factor in the cost of airfare vs the cost of the cruise.

If the airfare is pricey, they'll have a residency special on the cruise to entice bookings.

Cruisingly Yours

Nope....because we usually have the highest airfare of anyone and have never had a residency discount.

One theory I head that makes sense is that they offer it to states where there is a relatively low number of people already booked for that particular sailing. This lessens the number of price drops they have to give.

Nope....because not many folks from our state cruise either....and we have never had a residency discount so that can't be it either. LOL!

It is only for states that end in certain letters.....like A for California, Florida, Georgia or Alabama or Y for New York, New Jersey, or Kentucky or S for Texas, Kansas, or Massachusetts.

They factor in the cost of airfare vs the cost of the cruise.

If the airfare is pricey, they'll have a residency special on the cruise to entice bookings.

Cruisingly Yours

targeted marketing

I do believe all three of these are correct...we got the PA resident discount for the Explorer Nov 28 and all three are very possible...I would say a combination of all three...and I am sure there are a few of the others in there too...lol

Not on RCCL, but I noticed something strange on Carnival. That's my next cruise. :rolleyes:

Since I booked about 3 months ago, there has been a residency rate on and off for TN, where I live. Always a Senior rate. Yet, in SC, where the ship sails from, they have yet to have a residency rate to offer their own. They have had a Senior rate.

In fact, the fares for SC residence are quite a bit higher than that of TN. We are a little over two weeks out. While the TN availability shows almost all categories, the SC fares show limited availability. Why do you think that is? Of course, I feel sure that sometime next week, Carnival will drop the SC rates and give their residents a good last minute deal. Just don't understand why they are not doing so now.

It's kind of like the upgrade fairy (we know that she gets drunk and arbitrarily flies into random reservations). They have a residency discount genie. And like the upgrade fairy, he gets liquored up and flies around a map of the US. When he crashes into the map he looks at the state he's in (pun intended), and that's the state that gets the discount! I hope this clears things up.;)

The upgrade fairy drinks?:p

There are a lot of factors. If a cruise is undersold, they may try to fill with people close to the port, who don't need to plan for airfare.

They also work closely with the airlines. If a route has a lot of empty seats, they may reduce the price of a cruise for people from that state, to help fill seats on planes.

The industry is basically always trying to fill cabins and seats on planes....whatever it takes.

Archived