century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

Celebrity could not have done worse in this situation. It was almost as if someone said...what should we do, and then did the opposite. Absolutely no management leadership on board...and no one who could make a decision.

B2B cruisers were treated the worst...we know nothing, call this phone number and they will explain what we are doing. Couldn't get a phone line for hours...then connected to celebrity home office only to wait one 1/4 hours (we timed it) only to reach someone who didn't know there was a problem and didn't know why we were callling. Transfered to three people, all of whom knew nothing. Finally reached someone who said, if you didn't book your air thru celebrity, we'll give you $250 towards your air arrangements home...but we won't help you make them....we won't let you use "select air" to get reasonably priced tickets. Good luck

Dear friends:

For my fellow Europeans who purchased their cruises from Celebrity in Europe or from any EU travel agency:

Celebrity must arrange to get you home at no cost to you, not just give you a flat sum of money to "help" with changing your airline tickets.

If they cannot get you home immediately, they must pay for your hotel, meals, surface transportation and telephone calls until they can get you home.

You are entitled to a full refund IN CASH of your cruise, round-trip airline tickets (you wouldn't have flown to Barcelona had the cruise been cancelled and the fact it was cancelled the next day has nothing to do with it) and other related expenses (hotels, tours, etc.) PLUS compensation of 25% of everything you paid (cruise, air, hotels, etc.) in CASH. Do not feel obliged to accept future cruise certificates unless you feel that they are a better offer. All of this must be paid to you within 30 days.

The above is the law in the EU so stick to your rights. There is no need to use any private travel insurance you may have purchased. If you choose to use the travel insurance because you feel it is more convenient, the insurance company will probably ask you to sign over your rights against Celebrity, because the insurance company will not allow Celebrity to evade its legal responsibilities.

Sorry, but that is only valid if you have booked the cruise and transportation (flights) via Celebrity Europe. If you have booked your own flights it´s totally up to you to get back home again. This has been the same with the volcanic ash.

steamboats

I am so sorry for everyone whose trip is disrupted. I am reading of those who are making or are able to make the best of it and those who are still to reach the point of accepting the situation. Now when I say accepting, it is right that people should take issue with certain parts of the event if they believe they have a valid claim within the jurisdiction of the country their booking was made under. I will leave it for others to debate the rights, wrongs, whys, wherefores and details of this

I am however worried about the crew. Firstly, they should never be berated. But worse, for many they will be coping with this in the certain knowledge that their earnings for this period are shot. There will be no bar tips, I am not sure if prepaid service charges would be paid out on the basis they are being refunded to the passengers, there will be no extra tips, there will be no chance to get that extra recommendation about how good you have been - maybe you are near contract end and you really need that to secure your future

Perhaps in this perfect storm we should remember those for whom the imperfection may have greatest financial impact and for whom it will be hardest to recover the situation

I am on board. Are we disappointed? Of course--we really wanted to see Croatia and many of the other ports. However, we are thankful this happened while in port and not at sea.

But a large part of the passengers seemed to think that Celebrity could wave a magic wand, find hotel rooms for all, change their airline tickets, etc, and all within 24 hours. As the poster above wrote, this was probably one of the worst logistical nightmares that took place.

More than once I had to remind myself that a day on a bad cruise is better than a regular day at work.

Great attitude and I do hope you guys can still enjoy a different adventure with the certain knowledge you have one more cruise coming that you have already paid for

Dear friends:

The volcanic ash incident was considered a force majeure incident. Under EU law, if you were stuck someplace in the EU flying any airline (or stuck outside of the EU flying an EU airline), the airline was legally responsible for re-routing you, paying for hotels, meals, and surface transportation along the way, as well as telephone calls or e-mails. If you purchased an air/sea package through a cruiseline, for example, this responsibility shifted to the cruiseline, insofar as the cruiseline was the "organizer" to use language from the EU laws. However, because this was a force majeure incident, you were not entitled to additional COMPENSATION or DAMAGES beyond what I describe above.

This case is totally different. It is not a force majeure case, but rather an incident whose responsibility is directly attributed to the cruiseline. Therefore it is a blatant breach of contract case. The cruise line is therefore responsible for getting you home, and for returning you to your original financial position as if you had not booked the cruise, PLUS PAYING YOU EXTRA COMPENSATION OR DAMAGES under the premise that the cruise line breached its contract by not providing you with the trip you purchased.

The package travel laws need not apply to this case of breach of contract, since it would also fall under other consumer protection provisions of EU laws as far as contracts are concerned. However, please remember that in the 20 years the package travel laws have been in existence, they have evolved a great deal as people's patterns of booking trips have evolved and what consumers perceive as a package has evolved. Whether by case law or by legal regulations, in each member state a package is generally now much more loosely defined -- for example the air portion of a cruise does not necessarily have to be purchased from the cruise line. It is sufficient for it to be purchased from the same travel agency, or from the same website.

Also remember that if you make your purchase through an EU travel agency, the travel agency is jointly and severally liable with the cruise line.

Here in Spain, most cruise distribution is arranged through the large travel agency chains. Everybody knows the laws inside and out, and because the cruise lines cannot afford to cause ill-will with the large travel agencies, I have never heard of a case where the cruise line did not make the situation right for mishandled passengers, and I work in this area of the law.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hello UK Tog,

You are of course absolutely right. The crew will be living a nightmare.

We are booked on the October 25th Transatlantic crossing cruise and as of this moment are not sure whether it will go ahead. I am sure Celebrity are not sure either because until the ship gets into dry dock and they assess the damage nothing is certain.

However, if our cruise is cancelled we will be disappointed because we had planned to meet friends in Miami but we will just do some research and book another cruise.

For the crew it will be a calamity.

When things go wrong sometimes we just have to think of others.

Ciao

Hazel

Hello UK Tog,

You are of course absolutely right. The crew will be living a nightmare.

We are booked on the October 25th Transatlantic crossing cruise and as of this moment are not sure whether it will go ahead. I am sure Celebrity are not sure either because until the ship gets into dry dock and they assess the damage nothing is certain.

However, if our cruise is cancelled we will be disappointed because we had planned to meet friends in Miami but we will just do some research and book another cruise.

For the crew it will be a calamity.

When things go wrong sometimes we just have to think of others.

Ciao

Hazel

Well said, Hazel!

We are also on the TA and will just "play it by ear" as far as using our flights and pre-paid pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona. If we know more about the situation before Wednesday, we can plan accordingly.

Hope that all who are going through this difficult time on Century have a quick resolution as to getting home or somewhere else -- safe and sound.

Can you imagine each piece of luggage has to be carried by hand to a tender.. the poor guys on board are going to be dead tired and will need a week to recuperate.

The logistics of this disembarkation would be a nightmare.

Sharon, thanks for the link.

About communications..

I was called last night by Captain's Club because I had sent an email about next week's cruise. I was assured that "Century's propellers were being fixed right now" and that the Transatlantic would leave as scheduled.... and if not there would be other ships to take us back to the US.

There is still no announcement on the Celebrity website nor an email of assurance from Miami concerning the actual nature of the problem.

To think that life could be boring...

I don't think this is accurate because the trip already started and was "interrupted". They are calling it canceled, but it had started. So, I do believe (in the US anyway) insurance would cover trip interruption, but only to a max extent. Many if most are 150%, some are only 100% of the amount insured. So, if a cruise cost a passenger $5,000.00pp (and they insured that amount), in many cases one would have a policy of $7,500.00 max to cover interruption expenses (Medical and Med Evac have diff limits per each policy), which would be enough to fly home.

Im sorry Jade but Cruisengermans post is accurate, under EEC law Celebrity are liable for all charges that are met by the passengers in being repatriated due to the breakdown of the ship.

It doesnt matter whether the trip is 'interrupted' or 'Canceled' a contract is held between the passengers / cruiseline which was not fulfilled due to mechanical breakdown. Therefore Celebrity is fully liable under Maritime law.

It is the responsiblity of Celebrity to, if necessary, block book return flights from the port that passengers are stranded at back to the point of origin, any costs would be met by the company. I am glad to see that already they have already offered a fully refund plus 25 pct, but the additional expenses need to be clarified/claimed by the passengers.

:)

... the poor guys on board are going to be dead tired and will need a week to recuperate....The logistics of this disembarkation would be a nightmare....To think that life could be boring...

I also appreciate the picture link Sharon, thanks.

I am sad for the passengers, the crew and the ship. We loved our cruise on Century and have two more planned in the not too distant future. However, when issues like this occur, we certainly think twice about trips from distant ports. We are truly spoiled living in FL with so many port options. That being said, we still plan on taking our transpacific cruise next fall on this very ship. Perhaps after following along on the boards during the current interruption, we will be better prepared for a situation such as this, and hopefully would take it in stride, as so many here on this board have done.

I never settle for boring when we have cruising in our lives...another adventure every day....good or bad...I'll take it :)

Happy cruising....Joanne

We loved our cruise on Century and have two more planned in the not too distant future. However, when issues like this occur, we certainly think twice about trips from distant ports. We are truly spoiled living in FL with so many port options. That being said, we still plan on taking our transpacific cruise next fall on this very ship.

If we go to Australia I want to book a cruise that returns to North America such as HAL. We are totally rethinking our Century bookings around Australia in 2012. One-way planning when Celebrity (other cruiselines are similar) seems to have a pattern of abandoning passengers without Celebrity flights is disturbing.

I'm hoping to read a post from someone who experienced Millennium's breakdown and cruise cancellations in Australia.

This is the second time Celebrity has had bad luck in Villefranche

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2123

Im sorry Jade but Cruisengermans post is accurate, under EEC law Celebrity are liable for all charges that are met by the passengers in being repatriated due to the breakdown of the ship.

It doesnt matter whether the trip is 'interrupted' or 'Canceled' a contract is held between the passengers / cruiseline which was not fulfilled due to mechanical breakdown. Therefore Celebrity is fully liable under Maritime law.

It is the responsiblity of Celebrity to, if necessary, block book return flights from the port that passengers are stranded at back to the point of origin, any costs would be met by the company. I am glad to see that already they have already offered a fully refund plus 25 pct, but the additional expenses need to be clarified/claimed by the passengers.

:)

Hello, My response was regarding insurance in the US. This would be considered an interruption as far as how much $$$ was available from the insurance policy to get one back to the US, pay for hotels, etc. I think Celebrity is responsible to pick up what was not covered by insurance. Of course they are already giving a full refund so legally (in the US) may not be responsible for anything else. If someone paid 10K for the cruise, they are getting 10K back. There is an issue in my opinion regarding the flights especially if one can not change them for $250.00 or used FFmiles. They have to make passengers whole (But part of that they will say that the passengers had a couple of days of the cruise).

Btw, I would be interested in your law regarding interruption and missed ports (most of the ports) on a cruise because of a hurricane warning (natural act which never occurred).

We were on a Canada/New England cruise from Montreal last month with a lot of Brits and after the first two ports it was announced we were skipping the rest of the ports and heading directly to Boston where we arrived 2 days early. While we left when we got there, passengers were allowed to stay aboard and the cruise seemed more like a hotel. All the pools were closed (and they decided to do maintenance and re-tile) and of course everything else was closed since we were in port. Would your law guarantee a moving ship? Btw, everyone is getting 25% of what they paid to be used for a future cruise. While the cruise line will not guarantee the ports we did not have any substitutes which is what is happening on a number of cruises this season and they are getting the exact same compensation (Western Caribbean cruise on Ryndam turned into Southern itinerary - one port the same and 3 others different, and Veendam Bermuda skipping Bermuda and going to the Bahamas), on our cruise we had no substitute ports as the cruise ended early (so sitting in port) but passengers not booted off until the day the cruise was supposed to end.

I must apologize :o for not giving credit for the link to maryann2, who posted it on our roll-call for the TA.

That's okay Sharon. I copied it from Steamboats (see the sticky at the top of the page):D

Leaving this morning for England so keeping fingers crossed that the ship is repaired.

Dear friends:

Insurance is not really set up for incidents in which the cruise line itself is at fault.

In this case, Celebrity cancelled, interrupted or stopped the trip itself, and Celebrity is fully liable.

Even if people have insurance and insurance pays out, the insurance company is going to repeat against Celebrity or Celebrity's insurance.

This isn't a case of weather preventing you from continuing your trip, or missing the boat due to airline connections, etc., but rather this is pure breach of contract on the part of Celebrity.

Insurance might make it easier for passengers to get home right now, but in the long run Celebrity should be held liable for the entire incident.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

To answer your question about EU law.

In the example you use, if the cruise line decides to cancel ports, switch ports, etc. before the cruise starts, if the passenger doesn't agree with the changed itinerary, the passenger has a right to a full refund, even if past the cancellation period. Furthermore, at least as far as Spanish law is concerned, silence by the passenger in this respect is not deemed to be implicit acceptance, but rather implicit rejection, and therefore a refund must be given. The passenger, therefore, has to specifically agree to the itinerary change in order for the trip to remain in tact.

The case of ports being eliminated mid-cruise is trickier. Generally speaking, if a port is eliminated or substituted due to force majeure (weather, for example), and that elimination or substitution does not substantially impact the rest of the cruise, you are probably not entitled to anything beyond specific charges not used (port fees) and perhaps a credit for your inconvenience. However, in the example you cite, a major portion of the cruise seems to have been eliminated, and the passengers sat in port for several days while repairs were being made on various parts of the ship which could be interpreted to have substantially affected the trip. In this case, if the cruise line is at fault, you would be entitled to a proportional refund PLUS DAMAGES. If due to force majeure, you are probably entitled to a proportional refund, because your trip was indeed significantly impacted even if due to force majeure, but you will probably not be entitled to ADDITIONAL DAMAGES in this case.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

The crew is truly overwhelmed and some have been brought to tears by those who are quite angry about the situation. Most of them have never been something like this so many are in the dark as much as the passengers are.

This has been almost like a perfect storm of events. Canceled cruise on Day 2 of a 12-night journey. Happened in a tender port. Strike by French transportation making it very difficult to move 2000 passengers back to Barcelona. Limited flights from Nice as we come into the low season. Very little extra capacity and airlift by the airlines.

I can't agree more with this statement. I am on board. Are we disappointed? Of course--we really wanted to see Croatia and many of the other ports. However, we are thankful this happened while in port and not at sea.

Last night I decided to go back to my room and rest because everywhere I went, passengers were complaining. The manner in which passengers berated some of the staff is truly sad. I certainly empathize about our fellow passengers' vacation plans getting cut short, having to reroute themselves, etc. But a large part of the passengers seemed to think that Celebrity could wave a magic wand, find hotel rooms for all, change their airline tickets, etc, and all within 24 hours. As the poster above wrote, this was probably one of the worst logistical nightmares that took place.

More than once I had to remind myself that a day on a bad cruise is better than a regular day at work.

Hi Joe, your attitude is one many folks could take a lesson from:)

Like it is the crew's/staff's fault this happened?:eek::confused:

I, too, have been on a cruise that had problems. The most disturbing thing to me was the reaction and attitude of fellow passengers. I have just heard from a friend currently onboard Century and sadly he tells me that many passengers are treating the crew horribly. As upset and disappointed this is to everyone, taking it out on the crew is not the answer.

If there is a lesson in all of this, the value of a great travel agent has been shown here in this thread. When bad things happen (and unfortunately they do and will), the ability to turn to a good agent can make the ALL the difference in a situation like this. While we'd like to think and expect that Celebrity can help all passengers immediately and get everything taken care of in a country where there is a strike that is making matters worse is unrealistic. Being able to turn to your travel agent who can help work out logistics with you is invaluable.

Wishing better days for those onboard Century and for her crew. To those who are onboard and have posted here....thanks for the updates!

Host Anne

Thank you for your post...I would add a good TA(not an online agency) and travel insurance. I myself rarely buy Insurance but when traveling to Europe and other Int'l destinations(excluding the caribbean) I make sure I'm covered.

CC

If there is a lesson in all of this, the value of a great travel agent has been shown here in this thread. When bad things happen (and unfortunately they do and will), the ability to turn to a good agent can make the ALL the difference in a situation like this. While we'd like to think and expect that Celebrity can help all passengers immediately and get everything taken care of in a country where there is a strike that is making matters worse is unrealistic. Being able to turn to your travel agent who can help work out logistics with you is invaluable.

Thank you for saying this Anne. I have been saying this mantra over and over that a great TA matters far more than a bottle of wine or an OBC. While we would all like to save money, there are some OTAs that have been unreachable in this.

I can only say that it was a 5pm email (11pm in France) that alerted me to the issue and started the wheels in motion for a resolution. Having an international cell phone is important and having a smart phone or laptop is invaluable.

If you follow this rather colorful blog about the incident: http://fourtimesthefun.blogspot.com/ WARNING LANGUAGE

You can see that you can choose to go through life as a tourist and have everything planned and wait for a decision to be made or you can be a traveler and explore.

What will end up happening as far as my clients are concerned is they will have paid for a flight and two days in Barcelona, a slight fee to change to fly home from Nice and their hotel and most expenses in NICE will be reimbursed by their insurance policy.

I am not going to defend Celebrity in their response but I am not going to blame them either. However taking it out on the crew does nothing to improve your situation. As I emailed my clients, once they get to the hotel, go explore, take a bus, enjoy the south of France and be thankful you are not on a 10-hour bus ride and stuck endlessly at a hotel nowhere near the city or at the airport Barcelona trying to get a flight home.

Yes Anne, a great travel agent like Babette and others is invaluable for these rare occasions.

Perhaps you are not going to blame Celebrity, but I don't understand why not.

Celebrity holds full liability and responsibility here.

Why should an insurance company pay out when it is Celebrity's fault and responsibility?

As I say in previous posts, travel insurance may make things easier now, but in the long run Celebrity, either directly to its passengers, or to the various insurance companies, is going to have to foot the bill, as they should.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

C'mon Arno, "intheknow" is a one hit wonder. I wouldn't put much (any) credence in that post

Unfortunately the fact that there are so many irate people on board indicates that for some guests Celebrity is not providing what X promises:

Celebrity is passionately dedicated to providing guests with a vacation experience that exceeds expectations. Designed for you!

One poster on board has described the guests as newly weds and the "nearly dead". For those who have neither cell phones nor computers and those who stress easily, finding accommodations and transportation may cause them to lash out at anyone who cannot help.

Just as the Captain's Club person who called me last night to offer assurances that Century's propellers were being fixed as we spoke proves that communications has never been Celebrity's strength.

A newly wed is on Celebrity's facebook expressing his opinion and he is upset as well.

Only those who are directly affected can enlighten us.

Archived