century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/#

I don't remember how long the ship is, but you get that image when you zoom very close. You'll notice that the track is within 200m, so I would assume that the ship is anchored and just floating around the anchored point.

I second that. The Century is anchoring and floating around the anchor point. As you can see the tug Corrado Neri is still next to her.

steamboats

Hi Phil:

That's what I thought too but now it looks like Century is about to anchor after turning away from the port entrance. ?

Hello Arno! Chris here. Trisha & I are following this saga with great interest and we are learning a lot with all the good posts from you and others. We do hope that everyone from Century is able to salvage their vacation in some acceptable fashion. We also are anxious for your upcoming trip and of course hope that things come together for you two! I am sure that you will adjust and have an enjoyable trip!

If I may ask, would you and the other experienced cruisers make some comments about your preferences for travel insurance? I am about to buy an annual policy which seems to be a good value for us. Any tips you have in regard to insurance would be welcome. We saw a passenger that had to be Heli-vac'ed from a ship last year and learned that the cost for that was $25k up front. I haven't considered all that might be involved with a situation like the Century now faces, so what is the best way to cover that?

Again, good luck to you and to all the folks that were on Century!

I am a bit annoyed about those who are saying people should travel around [take trains to Italy hire cars etc] Its not in everyones nature to do this

The whole idea of seeing Europe from a cruise ship is that it is a safe and easy and someone else is looking after everything and at the end of the day Celebrity took everyones money to do just that!

Ilove Celebrity and have cruised with them many times and enjoyed their wonderful service and worry free cruising but if something had gone wrong I would have expected them to take care of me as a passenger .

Yes its great to get the money back but its my understanding that passengers felt that the Century staff were more concerned about the Transatlantic cruise going ahead

Well I am sorry for the next lot of passengers but the priority should have been to those on board who should have been given days to sort out their alternative plans.

Celebrity has along with any other cruiseline or airline a duty of care to its passengers who are on board .

go to insuremytrip,com and put in all your info as requested. You will then have an opportunity to compare about 20 different policies, prices, etc. and can make your choice from there.

I have used them many times. If you ahce a question about a policy or policies, you can e mail them and you will recieve a prompt reply.

Hello Arno! Chris here. Trisha & I are following this saga with great interest and we are learning a lot with all the good posts from you and others. We do hope that everyone from Century is able to salvage their vacation in some acceptable fashion. We also are anxious for your upcoming trip and of course hope that things come together for you two! I am sure that you will adjust and have an enjoyable trip!

If I may ask, would you and the other experienced cruisers make some comments about your preferences for travel insurance? I am about to buy an annual policy which seems to be a good value for us. Any tips you have in regard to insurance would be welcome. We saw a passenger that had to be Heli-vac'ed from a ship last year and learned that the cost for that was $25k up front. I haven't considered all that might be involved with a situation like the Century now faces, so what is the best way to cover that?

Again, good luck to you and to all the folks that were on Century!

Annual policies fall short of the necessary comprehensive one needs when traveling. Do a side by side comparison. Cancellation, trip interruption, trip delay, emergency medical, emergency repatriation, baggage delay and lost baggage are the coverages you need.

This is where a real TA comes is worth his/her weight in gold! . . . .

Thanks to all of the brick and mortar TA's who help us out!

I'm sure you're right but one of the frustrating things about CC is that you can't ask for or get recommendations (to use or to avoid) for TAs. I'd love to know of a competent, conscientious TA preferably local.

Well I am sorry for the next lot of passengers but the priority should have been to those on board who should have been given days to sort out their alternative plans.

Celebrity has along with any other cruiseline or airline a duty of care to its passengers who are on board .

We totally agree with you. We are on board next week and truly deplore the cavalier treatment so many cruisers seem to have received. I can't imagine hauling all my stuff while travelling through Europe. Our European friends had their car broken into and all their belongings stolen while they were having a meal in Spain. The reason many people cruise is because they are safe away from pickpockets and thieves and their valuables are secure.

On facebook Celebrity promises:

Celebrity is passionately dedicated to providing guests with a vacation experience that exceeds expectations. Designed for you!
Unfortunately the people who actually booked a cruise based on that promising statement will have a different view.

I would like to find out from returning passengers how treatment varied if they were:

back to back cruisers also on the Transatlantic,

cruisers who booked flight and cruise as a package from Celebrity,

cruisers who booked Choice Air on Celebrity.

I'm in total agreement with you, although we would probably look into going to Italy.

I also believe that if X was going to bus people to Barcelona they should also provide a hotel, not just dump them there. But, people all all doing diff things.

World travelers can navigate on there own, including the majority on this web site. The majority of those that are the most "angry" may also be those who aren't able to make all of these decisions/changes on their own.

People like me & my DH take cruises because we are not "world travelers". We feel safer with a cruise & that we are not on our own out there! Usually, cruising takes alot of the stress & planning issues out of the equation. For example, for our upcoming Princess cruise, we booked air & pre-cruise excursions on our own, but other than we that took Princess transfers & pre-cruise hotel & will book mostly ship's excursions... This makes it very easy & low stress, even if more costly.

On prior trips we have done more self-planning but decided to take what we thought is the easy route next time. We are not super seniors & have an international cell phone, but still would find this a bit daunting to cover, esp. without a TA to help us. Will reconsider using one in the future after seeing the efforts the TAs have made for their clients-- Luckily, our next "across the pond" cruise is confined to one specific area (British Isles) where I hope they do not strike as often & all speak English!

I 100% agree about just dumping folks in BCN being not so nice! Barcelona is easy in many ways but, but not everyone speaks English there by any means & even some do not speak Spanish--they speak mostly Catalan. Hopefully at hotels they do have Eng. speaking staff. Celebrity seems to think by taking them to the final destination they have fulfilled their carrier obligations but since it is too early for most to make their orig flights, I think they must do more by way to assist! Not liking celebrity right now!!

Just thinking aloud, but if you had all that time off for vacation, why not grab a hotel in Nice and enjoy being in France for a week? Then look at changing your ticket for your original departure day, which would give you a few days so you wouldn't be booking as last minute.

I don't understand why an interrupted cruise means you have to take a bus back to Barcelona and fly home immediately? Make lemonade out of lemons and all that jazz...

Just to add...don't get me wrong, I'd be upset, but I would refuse to have it totally ruin my vacation. Think in a few years the funny story you'd have.

This is exactly what i was going to post - lemonade. I would be disappointed to miss the things that i had planned. Given the refund of the cruise and excursions, I think I could put together something to amuse us until the flight back from Barcelona. I figure 10 days, a few thousand dollars, and a little flexibility, would get me somewhere.

People like me & my DH take cruises because we are not "world travelers". We feel safer with a cruise & that we are not on our own out there! Usually, cruising takes alot of the stress & planning issues out of the equation. For example, for our upcoming Princess cruise, we booked air & pre-cruise excursions on our own, but other than we that took Princess transfers & pre-cruise hotel & will book mostly ship's excursions... This makes it very easy & low stress, even if more costly.

On prior trips we have done more self-planning but decided to take what we thought is the easy route next time. We are not super seniors & have an international cell phone, but still would find this a bit daunting to cover, esp. without a TA to help us. Will reconsider using one in the future after seeing the efforts the TAs have made for their clients-- Luckily, our next "across the pond" cruise is confined to one specific area (British Isles) where I hope they do not strike as often & all speak English!

I 100% agree about just dumping folks in BCN being not so nice! Barcelona is easy in many ways but, but not everyone speaks English there by any means & even some do not speak Spanish--they speak mostly Catalan. Hopefully at hotels they do have Eng. speaking staff. Celebrity seems to think by taking them to the final destination they have fulfilled their carrier obligations but since it is too early for most to make their orig flights, I think they must do more by way to assist! Not liking celebrity right now!!

I know they have a team of celebrity employees over there to handle the situation... I think we need to wait and see and hear first hand from those pax on board the real story of how X handled things....

CC

We were on the Infinity returning from Hawaii to San Diego in 2007 when one of the pods failed. We were 7 hours late into port which meant that most people missed their flights. The ship knew this was happenning hours in advance and opened phone lines and internet cafe's on board free of charge. They also accomodated people booked through Celebrity flights into hotels and paid an allowance to people who had arranged their own flights. That was it as far as they were concerned.

As far as UK insurance was concerened , we were not covered by the insurance. This sort of failure was down to Celebrity and their insurance should cover it.

It was a hard fight, but we got all our expenses back eventually from Celebrity.

Stick at it and make sure you get what you are out of pocket.

to ontario cruiser---I believe that you do not understand where I am coming from--I do enjoy life --but I believe that people who are wronged should be made whole by those who are at fault---in the US--the injured party asks for compensation---thus since the passenger has been injured as a result of the action of Celebrity he or she should be compensated--I do not believe that a refund and a %25 future cruise credit is adequate compensation--in the US people are compensated for pain and suffering--as well as out of pocket loss---- I still believe that C needs better PR

to ontario cruiser---I believe that you do not understand where I am coming from--I do enjoy life --but I believe that people who are wronged should be made whole by those who are at fault---in the US--the injured party asks for compensation---thus since the passenger has been injured as a result of the action of Celebrity he or she should be compensated--I do not believe that a refund and a %25 future cruise credit is adequate compensation--in the US people are compensated for pain and suffering--as well as out of pocket loss---- I still believe that C needs better PR

Wow, Pain and suffering... Huh? Now a car accident where I was almost killed last year is pain and suffering... where I still have chronic pain... but cancelling a cruise. :eek: OMG

Goodness, stuff happens all the time, that is life. Deal or don't deal. My daughter was T-boned in her car door a few weeks ago and though the car was a total loss she managed to get out of the car via the passenger side. A bit sore, yes, but alive and well. I would no more sue that person then drink poison.

It isn't all about "compensation" or "pain and suffering". That is what is wrong with this world. When people work together instead of against one another, great things happen, ie, the rescue of 33 miners last week. No one, especially X wants a mechanical problem. Do you sue your car manufacturer everytime there is a mechanical glitch for your "pain and suffering?" Who was injured in this unforseen incident? You should see what true pain and suffering is, you have no clue. I hope you never do.

Is this a wind up? I cant believe that you would make a comment as daft as that !:confused:

Well, I think she does a good job of proving her point. She and her DH are not "world travelers". I'd guess most of us have misconceptions about different parts of the world.

Well, I think she does a good job of proving her point. She and her DH are not "world travelers". I'd guess most of us have misconceptions about different parts of the world.

Im sorry but with a posting amount of over 8,000 I find that 'misconception' a bit hard to believe. England - English !!!:confused:

I am terribly sorry for everyone who has had to scramble to figure out how to handle this and even more sorry for the staff who have had to deal with (reported) abuse from angry passengers (absolutely uncalled for no matter how trying this may be) and will be short all these tips this cruise.

I agree celebrity needs to pony up whatever the change fees are for airfare--even if it is over $250--and I like to think that if you prove to them that you paid more they will come through eventually. I cannot see why Celebrity should be responsible for paying hotel fees--use the money you get back from the cruise fare. And I REALLY do not see what "pain and suffering" people think they have been through to warrant monetary damages beyond a refund and reasonable change fees. Being stranded in a gorgeous French village, with the option to be taken to Barcelona may well be stressful but not truly painful or a cause of great suffering (it is not like people are stranded away from good medical care or in a war zone). I applaud those who have found ways to cope with this situation without making enemies. Julie, the lady whose blog was posted, and others--I am proud of you all for being graceful and sensible under pressure.

Agree with Harcin. Seems like there were more than a few whiners on this cruise. Anyone who expects travel today to be free of incidents should not travel. Stuff happens, unfortunately, whether it's weather, strikes, hijackings norovirus, equipment failures, delayed flights, etc. You have to be flexible in today's travel environment. I do not see where Celebrity fell short in dealing with the situation. There are no spare ships at the ready to replace a ship with a major mechanical problem. To offer a full refund, a 25 percent savings on a future cruise, and transportation back to Barcelona seems fair to me. But for 200 people to (if the reports of passengers is correct) mill around at 1 a.m. demanding immediate assistance, compensation, alternative arrangements, etc. seemed counter productive I would have been grateful to Celebrity for taking the ship out of service for my safety, regardless of the any personal inconvenience. I still look forward to boarding the Century Oct. 25 and am hoping all the unhappy people are gone.

Agree with Harcin. Seems like there were more than a few whiners on this cruise. Anyone who expects travel today to be free of incidents should not travel. Stuff happens, unfortunately, whether it's weather, strikes, hijackings norovirus, equipment failures, delayed flights, etc. You have to be flexible in today's travel environment. I do not see where Celebrity fell short in dealing with the situation. There are no spare ships at the ready to replace a ship with a major mechanical problem. To offer a full refund, a 25 percent savings on a future cruise, and transportation back to Barcelona seems fair to me. But for 200 people to (if the reports of passengers is correct) mill around at 1 a.m. demanding immediate assistance, compensation, alternative arrangements, etc. seemed counter productive I would have been grateful to Celebrity for taking the ship out of service for my safety, regardless of the any personal inconvenience. I still look forward to boarding the Century Oct. 25 and am hoping all the unhappy people are gone.

Hi 67miner,

Wouldn't you like to come join us on the roll-call for the Century TA? We're all busy biting our nails to the quick while wondering whether or not we will be sailing on the 25th. (If you haven't yet found that part of the forum, we are located at the Celebrity "Connections" Roll-Calls. We are all hoping to be able to get together on the 25th at sailaway.:D

I feel no sympathy for those DIY'rs who would not use a TA or take out travel insurance with a in travel assistance programs. Or for those who only looked at the short teem and sought out the highest OBC with no thoughts for what would happen in this event like this, they are getting what they paid for or what they saved.

The supplier has a pretty strong contract that states they can do anything they want and are not responsible for extra expenses a passenger incurs due to the failure of the supplier. Read it sometime.

I am sure there are those who will never learn.

I feel no sympathy for those DIY'rs who would not use a TA or take out travel insurance with a in travel assistance programs. Or for those who only looked at the short teem and sought out the highest OBC with no thoughts for what would happen in this event like this, they are getting what they paid for or what they saved.

The supplier has a pretty strong contract that states they can do anything they want and are not responsible for extra expenses a passenger incurs due to the failure of the supplier. Read it sometime.

I am sure there are those who will never learn.

Even if what you are writing may be true to an extent, there are somewhat nicer (diplomatic?) ways of phrasing things. Why so bitter??

Archived