NCL wins 4 gold Magellan Awards EPIC - Best Contemporary Cruise Ship Overall

cowbuoy

Travel Weekly, an influential news resource in the travel industry, has recognized Norwegian Cruise Line with four gold and six silver 2010 Magellan Awards in the Contemporary Ship Design and Advertising/Marketing categories. Awarding Norwegian more gold awards than any other cruise line, Travel Weekly features Norwegian in the current issue that includes a special section devoted to the most exciting and innovative work being done in the travel industry today.

Norwegian’s newest and most innovative ship, Norwegian Epic, won nine of the ten Magellan Awards, including “Best Contemporary Cruise Ship Overall,” and gold for her luxurious Villas, located in the largest ship-within-a-ship complex, in the Contemporary Ship and Suite Design categories. Norwegian Epic’s most innovative features received silver Magellan Awards - Cirque Dreams® & Dinner for restaurant design; the Mandara Spa for spa design; the expansive Aqua Park for pool design; and the Studios, the first staterooms designed and priced for the solo traveler, in the Contemporary Ship/Cruise Elements category. In addition, Norwegian received two gold and two silver Magellan Awards in the Advertising/Marketing category for a variety of marketing activities including the Year of the Freestyle Vacation promotion, Norwegian Epic trade marketing campaign, and Norwegian Epic’s digital and out of home campaigns, which included billboards throughout Miami, prior to the ship’s launch in July.

I suspect since they weren't asked for their picks, that most of the general public couldn't care less about these awards.

The only ones who really care about this are probably NCL and Travel Weekly.

Just for fun, post this over on the RCI board and see what responses you get.

Remember the pet rock was innovative at the time.

Norwegian’s newest and most innovative ship, Norwegian Epic ...received two gold and two silver Magellan Awards in the Advertising/Marketing category

Well deserved!

This is Epic advertisement from http://www2.ncl.com/ship/epic/onboard/play#tab_detail:

joggwalk.jpg

The reality on Epic (this is where ventilation fans are):

joggwalk1.jpg

Sorry, I didn't see that anyone gave them the "most accurate picture of the jogging track" award. Awards for the suite complex, spa, studios, pools and the Cirque tent are well deserved.

The marketing awards were for "variety of marketing activities including the Year of the Freestyle Vacation promotion, Norwegian Epic trade marketing campaign, and Norwegian Epic’s digital and out of home campaigns, which included billboards throughout Miami, prior to the ship’s launch in July"

Sorry, I didn't see that anyone gave them the "most accurate picture of the jogging track" award. Awards for the suite complex, spa, studios, pools and the Cirque tent are well deserved.

The marketing awards were for "variety of marketing activities including the Year of the Freestyle Vacation promotion, Norwegian Epic trade marketing campaign, and Norwegian Epic’s digital and out of home campaigns, which included billboards throughout Miami, prior to the ship’s launch in July"

Hey Mike, while I see your points on this, I wonder why such a variety of marketing activities has not included a television commercial for the Epic or NCL in general.

I'm seeing spots for the Allure, RCI in general, and Carnival on an almost daily basis, but nothing from NCL in 10 month's or more.

Maybe a lack of funds, or shortage of media partners, or is NCL not particularly fond of showing a wide TV audience just how 'innovative' the Epic looks?

In my marketing/promotions experience, I've never seen such an approach, but I guess at least one travel magazine seems to thinks it is working.

Hey Mike, while I see your points on this, I wonder why such a variety of marketing activities has not included a television commercial for the Epic or NCL in general.

I'm seeing spots for the Allure, RCI in general, and Carnival on an almost daily basis, but nothing from NCL in 10 month's or more.

Maybe a lack of funds, or shortage of media partners, or is NCL not particularly fond of showing a wide TV audience just how 'innovative' the Epic looks?

In my marketing/promotions experience, I've never seen such an approach, but I guess at least one travel magazine seems to thinks it is working.

It could very well be that the marketing department at NCL has determined that TV ads are not as effective as other methods for bringing in customers. If you think about it, NCL just might be leveraging the ad dollars spent by others. If RCI is running TV ads and it raises somebody's interest, most people that are inclined to go shop for a cruise will also consider other lines. IF they contact a TA they certainly will. NCL is almost always in the consideration set, so those same customers will also be shopping NCL without them having to spend a dime on expensive TV ads to drive interest. They might be focusing their dollars on conversion (special pricing, incentives to TA's, etc.) to pick up a larger % of those shoppers. I might be giving them too much credit, but it could be very strategic.

It could very well be that the marketing department at NCL has determined that TV ads are not as effective as other methods for bringing in customers. If you think about it, NCL just might be leveraging the ad dollars spent by others. If RCI is running TV ads and it raises somebody's interest, most people that are inclined to go shop for a cruise will also consider other lines. IF they contact a TA they certainly will. NCL is almost always in the consideration set, so those same customers will also be shopping NCL without them having to spend a dime on expensive TV ads to drive interest. They might be focusing their dollars on conversion (special pricing, incentives to TA's, etc.) to pick up a larger % of those shoppers. I might be giving them too much credit, but it could be very strategic.

You may have something there Mike, but we'll never know as we're not privy to their advertising/marketing plans.

I do know that NCL has many times run television advertisements in the past, and this is the first time that I can recall them not running anything. Especially, after launching a new build, I just find it strange not to see the one and only flagship of the company(Epic) on my TV screen alongside the other major players.

No doubt about it, television advertising is a proven method of driving business. I recall as a child that most of us wanted the toy we saw on TV, not a knock-off or substitute and just look at the fast food industry. KFC's 'double down' has somehow become a popular sandwich which very few would probably purchase just by looking at the menu at the store. TV sold that sandwich.

With the cruising industry, to me it just looks like RCI and Carnival see the television advertising expense as a cost of doing business. Now, whether it's an accurate perception or not, personally it makes NCL look cheap by not showing up to the battle. Just my opinion.:cool:

Hey Mike....I agree... But I have to say that everytime I hear the music for one of the Royal Caribean "Nation of Why Not" commercials I am ready to run down the gangway and jump on a ship.....and I've never even sailed on an RCI ship.

I've also never seen a Celebrity TV commerical since the commercial where the woman was standing onthe stairs of the dining room giving an acceptance speech......

I thought that commercial was really clever....and the last NCL commercial I remember wat the commercial with all the passengers marching to dinner and other activities while in navy uniforms......that was a great commercial.......

You may have something there Mike, but we'll never know as we're not privy to their advertising/marketing plans.

I do know that NCL has many times run television advertisements in the past, and this is the first time that I can recall them not running anything. Especially, after launching a new build, I just find it strange not to see the one and only flagship of the company(Epic) on my TV screen alongside the other major players.

No doubt about it, television advertising is a proven method of driving business. I recall as a child that most of us wanted the toy we saw on TV, not a knock-off or substitute and just look at the fast food industry. KFC's 'double down' has somehow become a popular sandwich which very few would probably purchase just by looking at the menu at the store. TV sold that sandwich.

With the cruising industry, to me it just looks like RCI and Carnival see the television advertising expense as a cost of doing business. Now, whether it's an accurate perception or not, personally it makes NCL look cheap by not showing up to the battle. Just my opinion.:cool:

I know what you mean. I have that same issue in my industry (I'm a director of product marketing for a software company). We do very little business out of tradeshows anymore, but if you're not there people notice and talk about it. So for the time being we keep throwing money at this, while the most effective marketing is turning out to be partnerships with various industry associations.. things the public never sees.

Like I said, they could be riding the coattails of big ad spends from others and marketing more effectively (the cost per sale through public ads is very high), or I could certainly be giving them too much credit. :)

Hey Mike....I agree... But I have to say that everytime I hear the music for one of the Royal Caribean "Nation of Why Not" commercials I am ready to run down the gangway and jump on a ship.....and I've never even sailed on an RCI ship.

I've also never seen a Celebrity TV commerical since the commercial where the woman was standing onthe stairs of the dining room giving an acceptance speech......

I thought that commercial was really clever....and the last NCL commercial I remember wat the commercial with all the passengers marching to dinner and other activities while in navy uniforms......that was a great commercial.......

The only cruise commercials I remember were for Carnival, and I still have not sailed on them. lol. In my case seeing the commercials makes me think CRUISE!!...but then I do my shopping and homework and end up sailing on someone else. :)

Interesting to hear you comments about advertising. Down here is FL I see a Carnival add weekly. RCI semi-weekly and their Why Not hasn't appeared in over a month.

NCL, Celebrity and Holland American - no ads to speak of.

It also speaks to the demographic they are targeting. Adult males from 21 - 30 (for example) have a very different "shop to buy" pattern than, let's say, 50 year old well-to-do boomers. You rarely see mass market ads for the higher end lines (or services in general) because that's not where those demographics tend to congregate, how they learn about opportunities, how they are influenced, and how they make their decisions. I'm certainly no expert on cruise line customer demographics, but if we were each asked to line up the cruise lines from low to high end, or average age/income, etc. we'd like come up with similar lists. Because of who they are targeting, maybe Carnival and RCI have better results than, let's say Cunard, with mass market TV ads running on "The Price is Right". :)

NCL has been running tv ads here about their anniversary of freestyle specials. I won't speculate about who they are targeting (mostly because I can't remember what show I was watching when I saw the ads).

Cool. I've not seen those. I'm seeing a LOT of emails from them though. :rolleyes:

Some ads run in different parts of the country .We also live in Florida and see very few, but up north and in the midwest there seems to be more.

NCL has been running tv ads here about their anniversary of freestyle specials. I won't speculate about who they are targeting (mostly because I can't remember what show I was watching when I saw the ads).

Glad to hear it. What part of the country are we talking about here?

Archived