Secret Harbor beach

M&T

Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the restaurant. It is currently a bone of contention among several groups involved in the hotel management and condo associations. My understanding is that only hotel guests and owners are supposed to be able to rent chairs, but I have been surprised before...

Can anyone verify whether non hotel guests can rent chairs if we eat at the restaurant? Thanks. I sent an email to the hotel but have not heard back. Marlyne

I can tell you our experience on our port day at Secret Harbor in Feb 2009. We walked onto the beach, headed to the right to the shop where they rented and sold equipment, and we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella (don't remember the cost). We never used the restaurant. Of course things may have changed since then. Perhaps a more recent visitor will chime in.

March 2010, rented chair from the dive shop. I think only one chair, as we were mostly snorkeling, don't remember how much ($5 or $10?). We just wanted something to place our stuff on! We thought renting the chair (for whatever we paid) was a fair trade for the snorkeling info, using their shower, etc.

My parents went there in Jan 2010 and had a wonderful time. My husband and I were going to go there in Jan 2010 also but my husband was sick that day. They quickly responded to emails last year. This year, recently, I have sent three or four and heard nothing back. Wondering too if we are not welcome there anymore????? I wish they would answer so that I could make other plans for the day. I would hate to pay for a taxi to a place where we can't hang out.

We will probably go to Secret Harbor and if chairs can't be rented we will put our towels on the sand. After lunch, we could go over to Sapphire or back to town for some shopping. When I come back, I will tell you of my experience. M

• 2 months later...

There are two sets of chairs at Secret Harbor. When you walk onto the beach, about 50' from the parking lot, there are lounge chairs set out. Those are for the condo association guests and residents.

If you walk to the right there is a dive shop on the other side of the Blue Moon Cafe. They rent lounge chairs for $5 a day but you have to drag the chair to where you want to sit. Then you have to drag it back at the end of the day. They are aluminum chairs with vinyl webbing so it's not a big deal.

The attendant's at the condo association used to pick up a few extra $$$ by renting out the Condo's chairs on slow days. The condo association and the dive shop put the kibosh on that practice and they don't do it any more. Or at least they are not supposed to do it any more.

Both sets of chairs are identical but the dive shop has a red ribbon on some of theirs.

We sat on the hotel chairs way to the left as you face the water. A man came along and said those chairs were for hotel guests. He brought chairs to us for $5 each and we left them where they were when we left. We enjoyed the beach and snorkeling. The Blue Moon restaurant was great. I had the fish tacos and my sister had a cheeseburger. They were great. An iguana came to visit and that really made the day. Marlyne

We were there last week (taxi for us was $10- I believe we were at Havensight to dock- right across from Paradise Point). There was a sign that said chairs were for hotel guests, but the rental shack had no problem giving them to non-guests. However, at this beach we chose not to use chairs. The sand didn't get wet with the waves like some of the other beaches, due to the slope, so laying in the sand was perfect.

Snorkeling was WONDERFUL. We had planned to go to Sapphire but taxi made a stop here first due to another groups request, then told us the wind was too high there and we should just stay here. It was completely uncrowded in the morning, as the afternoon came it got slightly more crowded (but not much) and many people said they had stopped at Sapphire first and had to switch- yay taxi driver!

So that is $10 per person for the taxi not for the cab? And how far is it frompier?? thanks

We were there last week (taxi for us was $10- I believe we were at Havensight to dock- right across from Paradise Point). There was a sign that said chairs were for hotel guests, but the rental shack had no problem giving them to non-guests. However, at this beach we chose not to use chairs. The sand didn't get wet with the waves like some of the other beaches, due to the slope, so laying in the sand was perfect.

Snorkeling was WONDERFUL. We had planned to go to Sapphire but taxi made a stop here first due to another groups request, then told us the wind was too high there and we should just stay here. It was completely uncrowded in the morning, as the afternoon came it got slightly more crowded (but not much) and many people said they had stopped at Sapphire first and had to switch- yay taxi driver!

The taxi (open air safari bus) was $10 pp both ways. It's not charged by the number you fit in, and seemed to be the same for any type of vehicle going pretty much anywhere (vans, cars, safari buses) we were quoted the same price for Secret Harbor, Magen's Bay, and Sapphire.

I can't tell you how long because we lost the taxi lottery and had to go on someone else's jewelry drop off in the shopping district. We were in the car for over an hour, but apparently most of it had nothing to do with getting to the beach. (We just didn't know that until after they hopped off to run into the store for a minute. The actual run into the store took no time at all, but when we realized what was going on- we were not happy. We were in the taxi well before them too...so it's not like we hopped into theirs) /Sorry a bit of a rant there

Archived