Ryndam or Rijndam

SeaSheep

More research on RYNDAM (s).

Two fine maritime researchers in Rotterdam came back with more information and 'evidence'.

1. The first RYNDAM built 1901 was launched as RYNDAM. She was never intended to be RIJNDAM.

2. During the war, but still in HAL service she kept her name as RYNDAM. However, during the war they painted flags on the sides of the ship and the word RIJNDAM.

3. For a brief period she was chartered for the US Navy as a troop ship. There are photos using the name USS RIJNDAM. I still do not know if she had her officially name was as USS RIJNDAM or if it was a named used in photos... but not actually used. There are photos of the ship during this period and in come cases it is as USS RIJNDAM and as USS RYNDAM.

During her post war period she was definitely named as RYNDAM.

4. RYNDAM built 1951. Named as RYNDAM and only this way.

5. Confirmation. The third ship that came out as RYNDAM built in 1994. There was never a plan to name her as RIJNDAM.

In the Dutch language the name is usually written as RIJNDAM but never was used as a Holland America Line name in the fleet.

The old Daily News for HAL they used to be very attractive and with 'logo' on the top of the page.... nice drawing of the ship and if I remember one of them had the title as RIJNDAM I. Of course it was not correct.

I wish those Daily News. I liked them. Classy!

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
A bit more...

Ryndam

The "Ryndam" was a 12,340 gross ton ship, built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1901 for the Holland America Line. Her details were - length 550.3ft x beam 62.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 286-1st, 196-2nd and 1,800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 18/5/1901, she commenced her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to New York on 10/10/1901. On 18/1/1916 she was damaged by a mine in the North Sea, was repaired in Rotterdam and resumed the Rotterdam - New York service on 15/4/1916. On 21/3/1918 she was requisitioned by the US government for transport services, released in Oct.1919 and resumed the Rotterdam - New York service on 31/7/1920. In May 1925 she was refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers, and in May 1926 altered to cabin, tourist and 3rd class. She commenced her last Rotterdam - New York voyage on 16/4/1929 and was scrapped the same year at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. Although the name was spelt as "Ryndam" by the builders, it should have been "Rijndam" and although this was never amended, it was spelt this way in large white letters on the ship's side during the Great War for identification purposes.

Here three images showing RIJNDAM. First, note the postcard. Obviously the name is touched into the postcard... not the real name. The second photo shows the ship in the early years of the first war.... large lettering on the side as RIJNDAM -Holland America. This was simply for identification purposes. The next one of USS RIJNDAM. Probably most people thought the spelling because of RIJNDAM was on the sides of the ship. When people say she was 'commissioned' as USS Rijndam.... the prefix is what they are talking... the prefix 'USS'.

Found this one today, supporting your story;

10904589_635161233294140_9081935647453179831_o_zpsodncl9mu.jpg

In a similar manner, the Veendam was pronounced by the captain and cruise director with an Americanized v and long e instead of the more correct "Fayn dam".

igraf

Edited by igraf

Thanks.

Still confusing the issue... in some Fleet Lists for the US NAVY you can the name listed as USS RIJNDAM and ALSO as USS RYNDAM.

Stephen

I am guessing it is due to some kind of regulation or treaty of sort in the old days.

All of the cargo ships of the NASM (predecessor of HAL), ended with “dyk”, while the correct Dutch is “dijk”. Trying to read these names at a distance maybe more difficult using the IJ variant instead of the Y! In pronunciation, there is no difference in Holland, using the IJ or the Y, so that is not an issue.

It was changed to the Ryndam because that is the phonetic pronunciation of Rijndam-at least that is the story I heard from the same cruise director the following year.

I take anything a cruise director says with a pinch of salt. ;)

In a similar manner, the Veendam was pronounced by the captain and cruise director with an Americanized v and long e instead of the more correct "Fayn dam".

igraf

Sure... especially when sometimes an English captain is on board!:eek:

Stephen

I am guessing it is due to some kind of regulation or treaty of sort in the old days.

All of the cargo ships of the NASM (predecessor of HAL), ended with “dyk”, while the correct Dutch is “dijk”. Trying to read these names at a distance maybe more difficult using the IJ variant instead of the Y! In pronunciation, there is no difference in Holland, using the IJ or the Y, so that is not an issue.

Alphen,

You will get a sore head trying to sort out names over this!

Best thing to do it.... look for a REAL photograph of a ship and read the name on the bow. Or Lloyds Register of Shipping!

One of the best books on HAL.... 125 Years of Holland America by Dalkmann & Schoonderbeek (Captain Albert Schoonderbeek). We know the names in the cargo fleet used 'DYK' yet the authors used 'DIJK'... even in English text. Even the text... half way through the style switch to 'DYK'. Don't know why. Like for RIJNDAM used in the early part of the book, but we know it should be RYNDAM.... yet in the two later ships used the name.. and text in the book as RYNDAM.

Better not have a 'discussion' over this one!

Stephen

Alphen,

You will get a sore head trying to sort out names over this!

Best thing to do it.... look for a REAL photograph of a ship and read the name on the bow. Or Lloyds Register of Shipping!

One of the best books on HAL.... 125 Years of Holland America by Dalkmann & Schoonderbeek (Captain Albert Schoonderbeek). We know the names in the cargo fleet used 'DYK' yet the authors used 'DIJK'... even in English text. Even the text... half way through the style switch to 'DYK'. Don't know why. Like for RIJNDAM used in the early part of the book, but we know it should be RYNDAM.... yet in the two later ships used the name.. and text in the book as RYNDAM.

Better not have a 'discussion' over this one!

Stephen

Your ever so right, life is too short. By the way, still wondering why it is Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam, which is all correct Dutch, but Noordam, without the "er"??

On the other hand, better just sail and enjoy them in full, without puzzeling :)

My guess...

Noorderdam does not roll off the tongue like NOORDAM.

Likewise

ZUIDERDAM OK

WESTERDAM OK

OOSTERDAM OK

but

ZUIDDAM

WESTDAM

OOSTDAM

Uhhhh.... does not work like a good name.

But some words like Noorderlicht ( northern light) is fine.

Make sense? ;)

Stephen

My guess...

Noorderdam does not roll off the tongue like NOORDAM.

Likewise

ZUIDERDAM OK

WESTERDAM OK

OOSTERDAM OK

but

ZUIDDAM

WESTDAM

OOSTDAM

Uhhhh.... does not work like a good name.

But some words like Noorderlicht ( northern light) is fine.

Make sense? ;)

Stephen

True, make sense.

All the H .A.L. Ships have dam at the end it is a Dutch habit to put a dutch word which is : dam behind it like our King that will be Koningsdam and because they are travelling under Dutch flag we will always be proud of them and prefer to travel with their ships all over the world .to be honest their service is up till now excellent to!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk