Disabled but need input from able bodied veteran cruisers

I am disabled and will be cruising on Voyager in Jan 2011. I have posted on the "Disabled" forum but have not had too many replies. I'm hoping that some able bodied veteran cruisers on RCCL will be able to help. The POC will be Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth. I know that Grand Cayman will be a tender port and Falmouth is questionable. We will be boarding in Galveston and I will have my own scooter (a Pride Elite that breaks down into four pieces) plus a Rollator walker with a seat. I can walk short distances and do some stairs. In Cozumel we plan on getting a taxi to Chankanabb. Any other suggestions or helpful information is greatly appreciated!

Take or rent a folding wheelchair for excursions. Your scooter won't be allowed on the tender. H/C taxis are available in Cozumel, ask ataxi stand. If on ship excursions scooters usually are no go. Don't get a transport chair with little wheels!

Sherry

Hi,

My aunt and uncle (both disabled) just got back from a cruise on the liberty. I rented them scooters that were delivered to the ship. My aunt could not get the hang of it but my uncle did not find difficulty driving it, but gave up using it after two days because of so many rude people that kept walking in front of him and not letting him by.

My cousin ended up begging the front desk for the use of two wheelchairs. At first she was told there weren't any to use and after she broke down crying, they managed to find two that they could use.

So I guess I would suggest a wheelchair instead of a scooter.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Pam:)

So sorry Pam that your aunt and uncle had such a bad experience. I would rather stay at home than burden dh or someone else pushing me around in a wheelchair. And since i am bringing my own scooter no need to rent. I realize i wont be able to tender with scooter in grand cayman but may try with my walker.

Did you read up on it on their web site, and also ask them your questions over the phone? I just did a little similar research for my father and got a lot of info that way. I do understand wanting personal tips from other cruisers, though!

Have you looked into renting a beach wheelchair? I have seen them on many islands - they have HUGE wheels so moving thru the sand is much easier. This might be nice to have in Chankanabb. Don't think you want to take the scooter in the sand.

It is so nice that you are still cruising. My dad is in a wheelchair and he won't go anywhere. My poor mom misses cruising so much.

Good luck!

Hi,

My aunt and uncle (both disabled) just got back from a cruise on the liberty. I rented them scooters that were delivered to the ship. My aunt could not get the hang of it but my uncle did not find difficulty driving it, but gave up using it after two days because of so many rude people that kept walking in front of him and not letting him by...........

Too bad he couldn't just say something like "EXCUSE ME! You know I would love to change places with you and walk instead of sitting here but I can't. So do you 'MIND MOVING a few inches over."

Please tell your uncle that not everyone is like those rude people. Since I grew up in the early 60s with a classmate who had had polio (the steel brace from his neck all the way down his spine) and walked with crutches I make it a point to give anyone in wheel chairs and scooters the right of the way. My sister and I have even stopped people from getting on elevators to allow a person in a wheel chair to get on.

Hi,

My aunt and uncle (both disabled) just got back from a cruise on the liberty. I rented them scooters that were delivered to the ship. My aunt could not get the hang of it but my uncle did not find difficulty driving it, but gave up using it after two days because of so many rude people that kept walking in front of him and not letting him by.

My cousin ended up begging the front desk for the use of two wheelchairs. At first she was told there weren't any to use and after she broke down crying, they managed to find two that they could use.

So I guess I would suggest a wheelchair instead of a scooter.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Sorry that your relatives had such a difficult time. Unfortunately not everyone speaks english so maybe they didn't understand "Excuse me". Maybe a horn would have worked or just running them over. A few knocks in the back of the ankles will make people thing twice about cutting off a wheel chair. ;)

My mother uses a scooter and she really doesn't have a problem on the ships. She is lucky to have my sister who walks a little in front of her when she is trying to get through a crowd to kind of "part the waters" if you know what I mean. The biggest suggestion I would have for on the ship (you probably don't need this since you already use a scooter) try to avoide areas that you know will have a huge crush of people. My mom tries to leave early to get to places so she gets there before it gets crowded. That way she gets to sit where she wants and she's not frazzled from trying to avoid people's heals.

She has found that most people are pretty understanding, especially when they see the scars on her knees.

Hope you have a good time on your cruise.

Several years ago I had an accident and shattered by ankle. Luckily I didn't require surgery...just a cast up to mid-thigh. It was Christmas season and I was frustrated to still have shopping to do. My daughters got a wheelchair for me and took me to my favorite department store. I had always been very active. I never realized the number of people who would not move, acted as if I was deaf when I said, "excuse me" brushed so closely by me that their shopping bags hit me in the head and side of the face without so much as a "sorry." Everyone should spend one day in a wheelchair to realize the "people" obstacles. A few years ago, we had to start taking a wheelchair on the cruises with my Mother because she couldn't walk the distances on the ship, piers and shopping. On the islands, we ran into stores that had no handicapped entrance, so she couldn't go inside, uneven sidewalks where we almost toppled her over a few times and streets with just a curb that you had to manuver over. It's easy to forget that not every country has access for wheelchairs on their public areas or their stores. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We found the walker with the seat (can't remember the name) was extremely helpful to have.

yes, my research indicates that a scooter or wheelchair might not work in some of the ports but it seems that Chankanaab is somewhat handicap friendly so we plan on taking a taxi (my scooter breaks down into 4 separate pieces and will fit in a trunk). There is also a handicap van service in Jamaica that I am checking into. Probably won't try the tender in Grand Cayman with my rollator but am bringing it just in case. I agree with Bmarchal's mother to leave early and go with the flow - I'm not in any hurry:D

Shebbieal and any other with opinion on the small wheeled transporter chair.

We will be cruising 6 week after my DH broke his knee. He is stubborn and dose not want to take any chair! We have the tranporter and regular chairs.

I want to take the transporter chair to help him get to the different places on the ship. He will be on a cane but will be moving slow.

Which chair would you take just in case he is willing to use it?

My wife has multiple sclerosis and also can walk for short distances. We always use our own manual wheechair on the cruises. She has a motorized scooter, but the manual chair folds up much better in the cabin. It is not a problem for me or others to push her -- unless we aren't paying attention and run her into one of the metal bumps common throughout the ship. You might have a wait sometimes for an elevator. Often we would go up even if we wanted to go down, just to get any available elevator.

MC1,

In theory a transport chair sounds really good, but as a full-time wheelchair user there are major diffuculties

They are harder to push (says my hubby), especially when the floor surface change like when carpet butts up to tile, then it changes to teak like on a ship. Almost impossible to take on an island with no curb cuts.

From a seated perspective, you can't propel yourself like regular manual chairs making yourself TOTALLY dependant on the pusher. They are pretty uncomfortable as well.

I speak from experience, I own a transport chair but never use it as my only source of transit. It does come in handy when out to lunch with gal pals, because they can put it in the trunk easy.

Take the large wheel wheelchair!!

Sherry

My wife is paralyzed on right side from a brain stem injury ages ago. Affects her arm and leg and to some extent balance. She can walk but not long distances and definitely not after a drink or two or on a rocking ship. So we always take her folding wheelchair on trips, cruise or otherwise. We've found ships to be pretty easy to deal with except that the standard cabin doors are too narrow even for her Jr. size chair. Have had to have her walk into the cabin and I fold up the chair to bring it in. This next cruise we'll be trying out a handicap cabin.

We've never had too much problem on ships with people blocking passage. We DO see this way too often on streets at the curb cuts (ramps) at corners. It always amazes me how able bodied walking people divert to intentionally walk up or down the ramp rather than step over the curb - thereby blocking the only route we have. Actually I can wheely pop her over a curb without breaking stride but it is sort of jarring for her to tip back and forward.

For tenders we found that Brilliance OTS had a wheelchair lift but it was slow and we almost missed an excursion because we got directed to another tender from the one our group was going on. When the crew lets me it is easier to have her walk the stairs and I carry the folded chair onto the boat.

They are harder to push (says my hubby), especially when the floor surface change like when carpet butts up to tile, then it changes to teak like on a ship.

Pet peeve....CARPET, Arrrrrgh! :mad: Very hard to push on sometimes and on the ships we've noticed it tends to pull the chair one way or another randomly. I know it helps reduce noise but I avoid pushing the chair on it when I can. Another ship issue is for some doorways to outside there is a hatch ledge with a ramp up and over, but the ramps are often pretty steep. Easy to push over but might be a problem if self propelling.

Finally, on Brilliance in the theater there were limited options for her remaining in the chair and us sitting together. Only place we could get to was in the balcony level. Worth scoping out in advance before going to any shows.

Does anyone have experience with a 4-wheel scooter in a cabin? RC told me 24" wide for the doors and my dad's scooter is just that wide, he says. If it can't come in it can be stowed but it'll be a pain to have to get fetched by the steward frequently. It's not a HC cabin but it's a GS so I'm hoping it'll come in the door at least.

Has anyone left a scooter in the hall for long? I asked if that was an option and was told it wasn't recommended, which I assume means it's allowed but be prepared for theft. ?

Mary09,

Find out the width of the opening for the door, the hinges take about 2 inches out of the equation.

The reason no scooters in the hal is a fire issue in that another scooter or wheelchair may not be able to pass by it.

General rule (of course there are exceptions, especially a small scooter and a small person) is that a scooter will NOT fit thru the opening of a regular cabin and can NOT be parked in the hall. I have heard that sometimes guest services will store it but it means getting and returning it. No, before it is asked, it can't be stored in the elevator lobby.

Call the special needs department not regular customer service.

Sherry

My husband used a motorized scooter for years as a result of arthritis in his hips. It was a four wheeled scooter a bit larger than the small scooters. The only cabin we had a problem getting it into was the small outside cabins on Majesty... we had to take the arms off the chair to get it into the cabin and just left them off, so I don't think getting the scooter into any cabin will be an issue for you. Just fyi, during the daytime we did park the scooter in the hallway (not the corridor outside the door) on Majesty and there was never any issue, I just made sure the guest services desk knew what cabin we were in and took the key with us.

We have taken his scooter off the ship in several ports including Cozumel, Nassau, Ocho Rios, and even tendered on Grand Cayman. The tender attendants assist the scooters on and off safely...don't be afraid to take the scooter with you. In Cozumel we have done both breaking the scooter down to put in a trunk of a taxi and used the handicap taxis... last time we did that we were told there were only 2 such cabs on the island so we were given a telephone number to call and arrange a pickup...told us to call at least 30 minutes before to ensure they could accommodate us.

You should have no problems using the scooter on and even off the ship.

Hope this information helps

My hubby uses a Pride Rally as he cannot walk., We have cruised for years and he gets around just fine with his scooter. There are issues that you will deal with, but if you are tough, you'll do just fine. First of all, you won't believe how many rude, obnoxious people you will find. After the first cruise a dozen years ago, he decided he has as much right to use the public areas as anyone else, so he will use his horn or say excuse me, no more than twice, if they don't, he will run over them. Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you are one of the courteous people, you won't be. We have had people step directly in front of him when he is moving nearly causing him to turn over stopping so quickly and they just look at him like he is a rude alien. People will hit him in the face or back with bags and spill drinks on him and then laugh. So now he plays the game their way. We just came back from the Bahamas where he actually ran over someone's foot when they stepped in front of him and then they started yelling and cussing at him calling him selfish and rude and said, "you crippled people should stay home". We both just smiled and I told her we felt very sorry for her and she really got ticked off and but huffed away, then he got a huge applause from other bystanders. The elevators pose a problem in that you will have to be very stubborn. But, hey you are entiitled to be treated like a person, not like a problem. We always have to book an accessible cabin and that can also be a problem since all but the newer ships have a very limited number so book early. As someone said, many ports have limited access to their stores, restaurants, etc. One of the most aggravating is Nassau. The easiest we have found are St Maarten, St Thomas, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Contrary to what an earlier post said, you CAN take a scooter on the tenders unless the waters are very rough. We have never had a problem with the exception of one time in Grand Cayman, but the other times there we had no problem. Just be sure you are aware of going ashore on certain beaches and islands. The biggest problem we have had is on RCCL's Coco Cay. Cannot use a scooter there....you will need to reserve a beach wheelchair. First time we took the scooter there nearly burned up the motor...learned our lesson. Anyway, have a great time and after cruising with your scooter once, you will know what you can and cannot attempt. We never let anything stop us. We love to cruise.

Mary09,

Find out the width of the opening for the door, the hinges take about 2 inches out of the equation.

The reason no scooters in the hal is a fire issue in that another scooter or wheelchair may not be able to pass by it.

General rule (of course there are exceptions, especially a small scooter and a small person) is that a scooter will NOT fit thru the opening of a regular cabin and can NOT be parked in the hall. I have heard that sometimes guest services will store it but it means getting and returning it. No, before it is asked, it can't be stored in the elevator lobby.

Call the special needs department not regular customer service.

Sherry

I was talking to the special needs dept. I would've thought it'd be firmly disallowed in the hall, too, but that's not what he said. I guess there's room in the halls for housekeeping carts and luggage piles. He did say there's an overnight storage area we could pay for, and the steward would stow it daily for us.

Mary, good to know you've done it. Also good to know about removing the arms! This is why I love forums.

Thanks!

Archived