Some things you've experienced while cruising that you might not have otherwise

I'm in a nostalgic mood tonight and have been thinking about my past cruises. More specifically, some of the amazing things I've been able to do and see that I might never have had the chance to otherwise.

I have many experiences tucked away in my memories that I look back on fondly and wonder what kinds of memories other's have from their cruises.

I can remember things like swimming with sea turtles or stingrays or dolphins. There was the night kayaking excursion in Puerto Rico and exploring the rainforest canopy in Costa Rica. There were the schoolchildren in Huatulco, Mexico whose faces lit up as we joined in their game one afternoon, or seeing the glow of lava as it flowed from an active volcano while we sailed past in the middle of the night.

I'm sure if I had chosen to do something else with my vacation time and money I would have some other fun memories but I wonder if I would have the same eclectic mix of experiences that I have now.

I love that I have had a chance to experience all of those perfect moments and I consider myself really lucky.

What are some of your cruise-related moments?

Probably the biggest for me is all the wonderful tablemates we have had over the years. No other vacation type throws perfect strangers together for the length of cruise. We have always gotten great tablemates and many we have stayed in touch for years.

Sitting down to dinner at a table for 8 and being the only people that spoke English as a first language. Out of the other 6, the first laguage for 4 was Portugese (from Brazil) and the other 2 spoke Swedish.

Made for an interesting and fun dinner event every night.

The things I remember most on my cruises are the memories of mom who passed away this year. I was blessed to travel with her on five cruises and cherish the time we got to spend together.

With my husband, it was a private sail boat (SLow Dancing) that we hired for a day in St. Thomas. It was one of the top ten memories we have together.

Every cruise I take adds to the time spent with love ones and just enjoying one another.

It is fun to laugh and act like kids again.

....agreed, feeling like a kid again.

No other venture in the last 10 years has made me feel like I do when we board (whatever ship)...and start to explore and feel the excitement.

...it truly is like Christmas morning!

....knowing we are starting a week's worth of fun, sun, shows, great food, people watching, port visiting, and memory making....all in one place (the ship).

We have been to LOTS of All Inclusives and ventured all around the globe.

NOTHING feels quite like boarding a fantastic ship for a week.

Nothing:)

On the contrary, LOTS of people wouldnt be caught dead on a cruise ship and make fun of me for loving it so much. They just cannot understand the whole concept and have zero desire. I guess we should all consider ourselves lucky that not everyone and their mother likes cruising :)

Maybe not a tear inducing memory, but the only place that I have taken off my bra and put it on some random man's head was on a cruise (NCL adult quest or whatever it's called). I don't recall having an opportunity to do that on land!

But for me it's all about being surrounded by that deep blue water.

Last year my fiance and I went on our first cruise on the Carnival Destiny, and he did one of those goofy pool competitions called "Battle of the Sexes".

Out of the five males doing it, they were all different ages, and 3 of them spoke English as a Second language, one of which hardly knew any English. Another guy translated for him so that they could figure out a synchronized swimming routine to do for the competition.

They wound up winning the competition by all jumping into the pool in order and then doing the macarena... I guess the macarena really does transcend cultures and generations :).

Oh, and we've met some cool tablemates. With cruising you definitely get to meet a lot more people than you'd meet on a land vacation. Normally in a hotel, even a resort, you don't randomly meet people like strangers, you just hang out with your family. Even on a cruise- you *can* just hang out with who you're sailing with, but it's nice that you have the option to make it what you want it to be.

I remember waking up early one morning at dawn, slipping out of bed and going out to the balcony rail and watching Cuba (I think) go by in the distance. We were on our way to Cozumel. So quiet, just very faint light and such a memory. The water going by and the waves slapping on each other. Such a great sight and one I would love every morning. Waking up at sea.

Julia

We have so many great memories where do I start….Cruising the beautiful Caribbean islands, flying over the Monsurat volcano, deep sea fishing off Aruba…..Cruising the Panama Canal…..Cruising the Hawaiian islands and flying over the Kilauea volcano….Cruising Alaska, seeing the Hubbard glacier, flying over & walking on the Mendenhall glacier….Visiting countries like England, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece & Turkey….All the wonderful people we have met & made friends with (crew & passengers) All wonderful memories thanks to cruising. Oh, and of course our very first cruise 11 years ago.

Ron :)

Listening to my late husband sing Karoke. One night he sang Neil Diamond's "I am I said". He got a standing ovation and everyone called him "Neil" the rest of the cruise. The best memory of that was the much older lady (like 70 yrs old) in front of me saying "I think I just had an orgasm". hahaha.

Great memories of lots of friends we took on cruises. Walking to Cable Beach from Nassau port because I thought it was about "1/2 a mile away". The 10 people with me weren't so happy. Winning 200.00 off the first 50 cents in a slot machine at Cable Beach.

Wrecking my scooter in Key West, fully expecting to pay for the ER visit. They told me they were "self taxed" for tourists scooter accidents. (that was before we got "kicked out" of Margaritaville when my late husband decided to sing "Margaritaville" acapella on stage at 2:00pm. They said it was a "family" establishment. hahaha).

Enjoying the serenity of St. John. Scuba Diving off Buck Island. Winning the "dirty dancing contest" (on Carnival when I was 18) and my dad watching the video every day on closed captioning. Watching the sunrise while anchoring in Grand Cayman. Swimming with Stingrays. Visiting the ruins in Costa Maya. Walking the street outside the gates at Costa Maya to get a cab. Stopping for street side Pineapple with "spices" on the way back from ruins (juiciest pineapple I've ever had). Sitting in a bar during a torrential downpour in Cozumel and meeting 20 people who were on the same ship, what a blast they were. Playing in the rain in Cozumel. Paying $8 USD to get $100.00 cash out of ATM in Cozumel, but got 100 pesos instead :( Walking all of 7 mile beach....

Being with friends and making more friends through CC and the general "good natured, fun loving" class of folks that cruise.

Along with all the great memories mentioned before me I also have memories of people in third world places. Like Belize on the outskirts of town, Can Cun on the way to Chichen Itza, and others, like the many Caribbean islands. How those people live with nothing near what we live with. And they are happy with what little they get. It really hits home when we look at our own lives and what we have wasted and cast aside. We really need to be more thankful in what we have.

I know it is the only time i can say I have no worries about work, email, cell phones, etc. My last cruise was great, I felt like I had not a worry in the world about everything. It was great, its the only time I've ever felt like that.

We've had the pleasure of meeting some "locals" in Nassau that we've remained friends with. Their culture and personalities make every trip even more cherished. I've made "Meeting and getting to know the locals on every travel" a bucket listing.

Winning the Women's Biceps Competition on the Mariner in April will have to be it! I can't believe I danced in front of male judges, flexed my muscles, let the judges touch my arms, and then did one-armed push-ups...:o

I'm in my 40's with two teenagers. :eek: P90X rocks!:D

But aside from that, meeting all the wonderful people that I have met over my cruises and have stayed in touch with.:)

Hi, our very first cruise was a 19 day back to back and the sheer luxury of "going out" to dinner every night, ( not to mention not having to cook!!) Then an evening of fantastic entertainment ending with a quiet coffee for two out on deck won me, we will shortly be going on our 4th cruise, (from Perth to Sydney via New Zealand) and I am so looking forward to it and I know I will enjoy every second.

Maybe not a tear inducing memory, but the only place that I have taken off my bra and put it on some random man's head was on a cruise (NCL adult quest or whatever it's called). I don't recall having an opportunity to do that on land!

But for me it's all about being surrounded by that deep blue water.

I'll volunteer to be the 2nd man you have done this with:p;)

Listening to my late husband sing Karoke. One night he sang Neil Diamond's "I am I said". He got a standing ovation and everyone called him "Neil" the rest of the cruise. The best memory of that was the much older lady (like 70 yrs old) in front of me saying "I think I just had an orgasm". hahaha.

Great memories of lots of friends we took on cruises. Walking to Cable Beach from Nassau port because I thought it was about "1/2 a mile away". The 10 people with me weren't so happy. Winning 200.00 off the first 50 cents in a slot machine at Cable Beach.

Wrecking my scooter in Key West, fully expecting to pay for the ER visit. They told me they were "self taxed" for tourists scooter accidents. (that was before we got "kicked out" of Margaritaville when my late husband decided to sing "Margaritaville" acapella on stage at 2:00pm. They said it was a "family" establishment. hahaha).

Enjoying the serenity of St. John. Scuba Diving off Buck Island. Winning the "dirty dancing contest" (on Carnival when I was 18) and my dad watching the video every day on closed captioning. Watching the sunrise while anchoring in Grand Cayman. Swimming with Stingrays. Visiting the ruins in Costa Maya. Walking the street outside the gates at Costa Maya to get a cab. Stopping for street side Pineapple with "spices" on the way back from ruins (juiciest pineapple I've ever had). Sitting in a bar during a torrential downpour in Cozumel and meeting 20 people who were on the same ship, what a blast they were. Playing in the rain in Cozumel. Paying $8 USD to get $100.00 cash out of ATM in Cozumel, but got 100 pesos instead :( Walking all of 7 mile beach....

Being with friends and making more friends through CC and the general "good natured, fun loving" class of folks that cruise.

Wow! Sounds like it was always an exciting time with your late husband. Loved your post. Especially getting kicked out of Margaritaville for singing Margaritaville! :)

I'm in a nostalgic mood tonight and have been thinking about my past cruises. More specifically, some of the amazing things I've been able to do and see that I might never have had the chance to otherwise.

I have many experiences tucked away in my memories that I look back on fondly and wonder what kinds of memories other's have from their cruises.

I can remember things like swimming with sea turtles or stingrays or dolphins. There was the night kayaking excursion in Puerto Rico and exploring the rainforest canopy in Costa Rica. There were the schoolchildren in Huatulco, Mexico whose faces lit up as we joined in their game one afternoon, or seeing the glow of lava as it flowed from an active volcano while we sailed past in the middle of the night.

I'm sure if I had chosen to do something else with my vacation time and money I would have some other fun memories but I wonder if I would have the same eclectic mix of experiences that I have now.

I love that I have had a chance to experience all of those perfect moments and I consider myself really lucky.

What are some of your cruise-related moments?

Apology in advance for my spelling.

Gondola ride with my wife in Venice.

Seeing the Collesium, Sistine Chappel and St. Peter's Basillica in Rome

Walking the streets of Pompeii and Hurculanium.

Zip lining (on Oasis. We're now looking at other zip line rides. Otherwise, we'd never consider it)

Walking in the field of miracles and seeing the leaning tower of Pisa.

Enjoying some very nice chocolate candy in France.

Snorkeling

Watching eagle's fly and whales breech in Alaska

There's many more but, those are the ones that come to mind quickly this morning.

I just remembered another wonderful memorie.

My husband and I each won $1,000 on the slots. We were playing $1 wheel of fortune. I won the second night and my husband won the last night. This was 4 years ago on the Jewel. We used the money for another cruise.:)

I would never have parasailed with out cruising, I only did it because the wife wanted to and they have that silly two at a time rule. But the one thing I most likely never would have done was:

bob4.jpg

I wouldnt have done quite a few things if it werent for cruising, but ive got to say my most memorable and most heart felt..."yeah this is what lifes all about" was walking back to our balcony cabin on the freedom of the seas and seeing my 2 teens (dd was 14 and ds was 13 at the time) sitting on the balcony, feet up on the rail, talking and laughing and sharing an icecream cup from ben & jerrys....i even snapped a pic real quick before they realized we were watching...soo precious!! could that have happened without being on a cruise?? sure, but I wouldnt have been able to see it!!

I just remembered another wonderful memorie.

My husband and I each won $1,000 on the slots. We were playing $1 wheel of fortune. I won the second night and my husband won the last night. This was 4 years ago on the Jewel. We used the money for another cruise.:)

Our whole "25th" Wedding Anniversary Cruise, B2B "JOS" for 12 days and Caribbean Princess for 7 days. The "Ultimate Balcony Dining Experience" and mini-suite. We have had some wonderful experiences and memories on each and every cruise. Can't wait until 10/30 to make some more memories!;)

To me, a cruise is a place where I may "let loose" a little more than on land, mostly because there is no driving involved. I hope I don't sound like a total lush :)...

Singing karaoke on NCL Dawn (I sang "Love Will Keep Us Together"... kept seeing people around the ship who said they loved it! Not sure if they were laughing at me or with me, but I didn't care :) I would NEVER do that on land)

Chatting at a bar with the bartender and another patron, telling divorce stories on my first cruise after divorce... a few martinis made it a very funny conversation, and we all decided our exes did us a favor!

Putting a whole $5 chip on one number at the roulette table and WINNING!!! $175. Crazy stuff for me, I'm a very low-rent gambler.

and of course, not drinking related, but... my son fiddling with the sprinkler, he wanted to "hang" his stuffed animal from it.. and OOPS turning it on! Our stuff got soaked (those sprinklers really WORK) and they actually had to move us to another cabin, I felt bad but the were actually really nice about it.

Archived