Some things you've experienced while cruising that you might not have otherwise

Yeah, especially that soft, light blue water in the carribean. Unlike the 'scuzzy' looking water we have up the US coast here. Believe me, I've tried to explain it to non-cruisers but I don't think they understand. I guess they're satisfied swimming in that brown water at our northern beaches.:D

The beaches at the bay ..the water is literally BROWN. And people who go in it just don't get it.

Once you've been in water where you can clearly see the color your toenails are painted... you really don't want to swim in brown water anymore lol

My first cruise with my kids in 2001, their little faces lit up and they were hooked! Writing an essay about my "favorite travel experience" (about cruising of course) and winning a 7 day cruise for it! :)

Honeymoon in 2005; we had some great romantic dinners (specialty restaurant and we were the only couple in there with a 3 piece band). We snorkeled in Cozumel and came across the most stunning statue of Mary down below about 40 feet on a beach in Cozumel. It was a once in a lifetime moment and the sun was shining right into the water right on the statue. It was a very surreal moment and I will never forget it. We also swam with the dolphins and it was a blast (my 2nd time).

Going to bed and waking up in a different country every other day. Having my coffee early in the morning on the balcony and watching the dolphins or the flying fish right next to the boat. Spending some good quality time with my family with no television nor phones nearby! (now that's real weird these days) Watching my husband be relaxed and enjoying life. Learning all about wine at the wine tasting. Having waffles and icecream with the captain and his wife on the bridge! My husband and I getting involved in the Quest game (because we had no clue) and our friends laughing their butts off. Winning enough at the roulette table to pay all 4 of our tips (and it was the first time we'd ever played) in one sitting.

Meeting different people from all over the world. Having some great meals that I would otherwise probably not have the time or knowledge to fix at home. Taking some great photos unposed and posed! Making some of the best friendships of a lifetime that we still keep in touch with and sail with.

Feeling very blessed that we can afford to take a nice vacation such as a cruise because many people can't.

:D

Our first RCL cruise was 1994. My kids were 9 and 7 at the time. We were sitting in a public area when someone shout "look out here". Everyone on the otherside of the room got up to look. As far as you could see, dolphins were swimming along with the ship.

Fast forward, 2009. Took the kids again. DS and GF and DD and best friend. We got picked as the "middle couple" in Love and Marriage. We were terrible. (Came in last place) I laughed so hard, I had tears rolling down my face, when the CD pointed out our totally embarrassed kids. They even put the spotlight on them. For the rest of the cruise, people kept coming up to us to tell us how funny we were. If the kids were with us, people asked them if they were scarred for life.

For me it's the people I've met. I met one of my nearest and dearest onboard the voyager. She was the last one off and we just chatted a minute. I invited her to meet up for dinne and the rest was history.

I have some other stories about the people I've met onboard, but I don't want to bore everyone.

1st (and only so far) helicopter ride and landing on a glacier on our Alaskan cruise to celebrate our 10th anniversary. ('04)

Actually getting up the nerve to do karaoke (albeit poorly, but I did it!)

Seeing the look of awe on DH's face as we explored Explorer (his first cruise). ('02)

Watching my DD thoroughly enjoy all of the attention the waitstaff gave her on her first cruise on the Mariner. ('04)

Ice skating with my parents and brother on our family cruise on the Mariner ('07).

Watching DH ditch his pants for the Quest, then having to go get them in his tidy-whiteys (he's normally a shy guy in large groups)

Jumping off a 20-foot cliff into the river after watching DD (7 at the time) do it successfully. ('07)

Riding horses through a thunderstorm on a very slippery path in the Dominican Republic. ('10)

One memory I plan to make in January: Ziplining and doing the Flowrider(both for the first time) on the Allure!!!

Meeting my lovely future bride on "The Love Boat" the old Pacific Princess....in 1996.:)

Taking my grandchildren on a cruise.......2008.

Meeting so many wonderful people.....from so many cruises, that we stay in touch with.......from over 10 countries of the world!!;)

Rick

Archived