Trip Insurance

BcIcemen

I've always used insuremytrip.com. I read through the policies starting at the low price end and figure out what is best for me. I once had a patient who fractured her femur on a motorbike in Nassau and the biggest expense was being airlifted back to the US for surgery, so I try to find a policy that has a good med-evac amount.

I have been using Travelguard bc they have cruise insurance. I don't use the ship's insurance. Thx for reminding me. I need to buy trip insurance for my upcoming Dec 2010 sailing. So far I haven't needed to use the insurance, though, so I cannot testify how that would work.

have a great cruise.

I've used both TravelGuard and TravelEx in the past, with good success.

If you have a pre-existing health condition, or have a family member with one (and you'd need to fly back home to tend to them), you need to book this sort of insurance within 2 weeks of booking your cruise.

insuremytrip.com is a good place to start exploring your options. Insurance offered by the cruise company often isn't comprehensive enough and costs more than what you can buy from a 3rd party.

I've always used insuremytrip.com. I read through the policies starting at the low price end and figure out what is best for me. I once had a patient who fractured her femur on a motorbike in Nassau and the biggest expense was being airlifted back to the US for surgery, so I try to find a policy that has a good med-evac amount.

DITTO: for me

I use http://www.tripinsurancestore.com .

I have found the owner, Steve to be very helpful and easy to contact by phone if I have some quirky question or to save some $$'s.

I personally look at:

1) I prefer primary coverage as I don't want to screw with filing with my insurance company, getting denied and then having to file with a secondary policy (your call).

2) Their website has the rating on the bottom of their comparison all of them offered there are financially sound.

3) I look at coverages as it's really weird that some are more expensive for about the same coverage so the comparison tool good to delete ones you don't want.

4) I always book within the pre-existing waiver deadline so it rules out most hassles that may arise (even though I'm healthy).

Just be sure that you notice that the price of the trip you put in is for each person, not the total trip costs. In other words, you divide the total by 2 (for a couple).

I've bought a few different companies through the site as I compare price and coverage.

I have been using Insuremytrip.com for many years and have chosen different policies over those years... TravelSafe, Travel Guard, CSA, Seven Corners, etc. We usually cruise together as a family group (5-12 of us), I obtain policies for everyone. I always buy those policies within the cut off for the pre-exisiting waiver (if you're gonna buy, might as well get all the coverage you can, most people do have some sort of pre-existing condition). I always look for good emergency evac coverage too, and a decent medical amount. This time, a few in my group opted to add the "cancel for any reason" coverage. The nice thing about their website is that it shows you several options, therefore, you can pick a policy that meets your needs (which aren't always the same from trip to trip). They have a toll free number if you need some help the first time or have questions. I've been really pleased with them so far. Oh, and just about any of their policies are way better coverage than what the cruise lines offer, for the same or lower cost. Definitely worth it!

Just wanted to add: For older passengers (I have 2 in my family that are 80+), the cost of an independent insurance policy becomes expensive due to age. In this case, sticking with the insurance through the cruise line may be the way to go, their price will be far less since it's basically a one-price-fits-all kind of policy. Weigh all the options.

We've always used insuremytrip, and TravelSafe. And I might add that we had a very good experience when we actually had to use it after hubby had a heart attack on board the Liberty almost 3 years ago.

Who does everyone use and what policy do you take?

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to a Pre-Existing Condition and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both claim that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages and are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process.

Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. The Princess Berkely Policy offers 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted (about 9%) Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Comfort and CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car DDW coverage!!! For Example:

· VISA Signature Card offers $500,000max Common Carrier Accidental Death & dismemberment, $3000max Lost Luggage by common carrier, $300max Luggage Delay by common carrier and Rental Car CDW.

· World MasterCard offers Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage.

Government Employee’s Blue Cross blue shield (BCBS) includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network.

ken

Who does everyone use and what policy do you take?

We're from Canada and use Blue Cross. We purchase a 1 year travel and trip cancellation policy which allows us as many 15 day trips outside Canada as we like. We're covered for trip cancellation and catchup (we used that last year), lost luggage (used that last year too), medical up to 5 Million pp, emergency flight evacuation and so on. Covers pre-existing provided there has been no change in medication within 30 days of travel. Of course if a Dr advises against travel it won't cover. We buy the policy for DW, me and DS - $316 per year total. It is a great deal for people who make multiple trips to the US like we do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived