Anyone want to start a new weight loss group with me?

5326jan

I am intimidated by joining a thread that has been established and has posts in the hundreds, so I'm offering up a new one!:o My cruise isn't until September of 2011, but I want to lose about 40lbs and I have many other reasons to lose sooner. Grandchild #3 is due in January, youngest son is getting married in July and our cruise in September. (yay on all of them!)

I joined WW, but haven't been motivated to stick to it much in the last few months. I am the "responisble relative" for an uncle that has had 2 amputations, a broken hip and 3 strokes in the last 18 months, so it's hard to get a good start. That's probably an excuse, but it's all I've got. :rolleyes:

I am 57, 5'5" and weigh about 179. I had been as high as 188 when I joined WW, I lost to 166, then Uncle started needing help. I want to get back into the swing of things and take care of my health too.

I hope someone is interested in checking in and joining me as a weight loss/activity booster "friend". Check in if you're interested!

I have been a bit intimidated by the older threads with hundreds of posts too, glad to get in on a new one.

We are booked on a Sept 2011 cruise too (9/10/11), I would like to lose at least 30 lbs before then.

No good excuse, just lazy and very unmotivated. Need a good kick in the tush and to be more accountable. :)

So here goes.

I started watching what I eat a little a week ago. I've lost 2 lbs so far.

I'm 61 yrs, 5'1" was 169 last week, today was 167.

I have a few health issues that make exercise difficult. (back, hip, knee pain, lung issues, no I never smoked).

I work as a Nurse case manager so a lot of walking in the mornings and sitting in the afternoon.

So here goes, We can do this!!!!

I have been a bit intimidated by the older threads with hundreds of posts too, glad to get in on a new one.

We are booked on a Sept 2011 cruise too (9/10/11), I would like to lose at least 30 lbs before then.

No good excuse, just lazy and very unmotivated. Need a good kick in the tush and to be more accountable. :)

So here goes.

I started watching what I eat a little a week ago. I've lost 2 lbs so far.

I'm 61 yrs, 5'1" was 169 last week, today was 167.

I have a few health issues that make exercise difficult. (back, hip, knee pain, lung issues, no I never smoked).

I work as a Nurse case manager so a lot of walking in the mornings and sitting in the afternoon.

So here goes, We can do this!!!!

OK Suzque49, there it is!!!;) Congrats on your weight loss! We CAN do this. Lets check in whenever we can... hopefully, others will join us and we'll do it! My goal for the week is to walk 3 times (I have an hour circuit) and to not drink any wine.:rolleyes: That's what I'll miss. I'm also going to go to my WW meeting on Monday and get an "in person" kick in the butt too! Talk to you soon, Thanks for joining me!

Hi!

I'm so glad you started this thread! I'd love to join in.

I'm cruising in Nov. 2011, and I'm so excited! We went to NYC a month ago, and fatigue really slowed us down. On the cruise vacation we want to go snorkeling and be able to climb around Mayan pyramids as much as possible. And of course I just want to feel more comfortable in my own skin.

I joined WW a week ago, and I have a friend to go to meetings with each week. I like WW because the point system is so easy to keep track of, especially with the app on my phone.

My sister and I have been working out almost every morning before work. A friend at work is going to advise me about exercise. I use the Couch to 5K plan for my cardio. I like it because you can apply it to any kind of cardio exercise, even swimming.

I'm 38 and I have about 70 to 75 pounds to lose. Even if I don't lose all of that, I really want to be in good shape and to look good in my formal night clothes! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to use new recipes and cook a bunch at one time, so that I don't have to try and cook during the week when I'm busy or tired after work. One of my new fav recipes is the slow cooked oatmeal that was featured on the WW website.

What are y'all doing to lose your weight?

Hi!

I'm so glad you started this thread! I'd love to join in.

I'm cruising in Nov. 2011, and I'm so excited! We went to NYC a month ago, and fatigue really slowed us down. On the cruise vacation we want to go snorkeling and be able to climb around Mayan pyramids as much as possible. And of course I just want to feel more comfortable in my own skin.

I joined WW a week ago, and I have a friend to go to meetings with each week. I like WW because the point system is so easy to keep track of, especially with the app on my phone.

My sister and I have been working out almost every morning before work. A friend at work is going to advise me about exercise. I use the Couch to 5K plan for my cardio. I like it because you can apply it to any kind of cardio exercise, even swimming.

I'm 38 and I have about 70 to 75 pounds to lose. Even if I don't lose all of that, I really want to be in good shape and to look good in my formal night clothes! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to use new recipes and cook a bunch at one time, so that I don't have to try and cook during the week when I'm busy or tired after work. One of my new fav recipes is the slow cooked oatmeal that was featured on the WW website.

What are y'all doing to lose your weight?

I'm also going to do WW. I've done it many times before and I know that I can lose on it.... time tested.. If only I could stick with it!!! :(

You'll be beautiful for your formal night, no matter what, but lets shed some pounds girls! :D

I would love to join you all in your journey if I may. I am 42 and need to loose close to 100lbs. I strated 2 weeks ago and so far I am down 10lbs...yippie.

I am really trying to watch calorie intake and walk at least 30min 4x per week. I use the site myfitnesspal it really helps me stay on track and be accountable.

My cruise is in Jan.I would also like to be as fit as possible in order to enjoy our excursions to the fullest.

Good Luck to everyone, together we can do it :p

Glad, too, to join this thread. Lost 100 lbs. originally and gained most back. Went to WW and lost 85 lbs. Decided not to lose more, because my face looked like an apple core left out in the sun. Again, gained a lot back since I lost my job. Now I have to lose 40 lbs. more to get back into my size 8 - 10's. Bought a couple of size 14's to get me through. I have vowed to go naked, if necessary, until I get into my small clothes. (This will not be a pretty sight. :eek:)

I am 61, 5'5". I have started walking three times per week, switching dogs to keep me company (I have three). They enjoy it . . . me, not so much, but I've been doing it. I lost 12 lbs., but still have that 40 lbs. clinging to my middle. I thought about pulling all this extra skin up to the top of my head, tying it in a knot, and just wearing a tophat, but my blood sugar just came up 101 and I am determined not to become a diabetic.

I, too will check in periodically and keep in touch with you. This will be a tremendous help to me. I have until the end of next year, too, to lose my weight, so I don't feel I have to crash diet. Just following the WW rules.

Good luck to all of you.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I started walking last week and I'd rather lick the floor than exercise, but I put an audio book on my ipod and it has given me incentive to walk longer and more often... I have to find out "who did it"!

This week my daughter and grandson (age 22 months) are coming for Halloween. Which brings up our first big challenge. CANDY!!! :eek: We live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids, so I'll have plenty of it around. When DD leaves, I'm sending any leftovers with her!

By the way, my name is Janet. Enjoy your Sunday and keep that mental image of the "you that you want to be" in your mind!

Hey, I'm also happy to join this new thread. I've been posting over on nearby "Gained it All Back..." thread as well.

Congrats to all of you getting started. I too have gained and lost over the years, and I finally thought, "enough"! I'm 62, and I too want to climb pyramids (this December, in Belize). And tromp around cobble-stoned streets and climb cathedral spires, etc. on future trips.

I'm mostly concerned about the health of my liver, and my heart.

So, in May I gave up alcohol for a while. About 6 weeks. And since I have started having an occasional glass of wine.

I immediately noticed I was losing weight. Dropped 9 pounds no problem. Then I got serious about it, and started portion control and paying attention to my diet. I'm now 13 pounds down. I'm kind of stuck at that, but I'm persisting.

I started exercising also in the summer, and have ramped it up. So I'm tightening up my gut and waistline. I used to walk several miles a day but I found that hard on my sacroiliac (arthritis), so now I'm doing a recumbent bike for 30 minutes most days. I also do Tai Chi once in a while, Pilates, and do a series of simple upper-body weight exercises with dumbbells. I also walk, but not as much.

I discovered http://www.myfitnesspal.com, and am now logging my exercise and diet.

I have plateau'd, and await a breakthrough. But since this is mostly about health, I try to be patient. but it's tough. I'd like to lose another 15 pounds.

One motivation is to try on some of my "cruisewear" that had gotten pretty tight. I'm hoping that by my cruise this December I will feel a lot more energetic and better about myself (and allow myself the odd cocktail.)

I was trying to get a head start on food for the week by cooking it all today, but I think I messed up at least one of the dishes. :(

I've been really inspired by Rachel Ray's new show. She usually cooks semi-healthy, but I haven't made anything from the show yet. My thing is that since I'm just cooking for me, I don't need anywhere near that much food. Still, cooking several things on Saturday or Sunday makes the week so much easier. Right now, soup is my go to food, but I'm getting a little tired of that. I need to diversify.

What do the rest of you do for cooking?

Sounds like you're off to a good start! The occassional wine will have to do it for me too. We're going to go to the Black Sea and one of the stops on the way is to the Monestaries of Meteora. They are way up on the steep cliffs and there are many stairs to climb. If I'm going to get up them, I'm going to need a lot less of me to haul up!:o

Lisa, I just saw that RR has a new show called "one day, five meals" or something like that. I'm really a food network junkie, which may be part of my problem! I like her, but sometimes her voice and saying "yummo" irritate me. Barefoot Contessa is my favorite. I'd like to be her neighbor! My DH is a very healthy eater. We're kind of like "Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean...." It's annoying, I want him to suffer through a diet too! Or to at least love food enough to feel like he was giving something up. Food is fuel to him, not love, fun, reward, consolation and all the things it is for me. Plus, he likes to work out... ugh, don't understand where he gets it from?

OK girls, Monday is going to be a great day and no matter which way we go about it, we're going to eat less, drink more water and park a little further away from where we're going. Also, walk or do whatever your fitness pal wants you to do!;)

janet

Jan, that's great, we went to the Black Sea 6 years ago (but no Meteora.)

Luckily I rarely drive in the city, so more walking.

I also am a food network junkie (but Canadian, slightly different shows.)

I'm retired, so I have the time to cook. In winter I make lots of soups, mostly vegetarian, with lots of veggies. It's a way of getting my husband to eat vegetables.

Luckily he's also trying to diet, but when he cooks, he tends to cook rich, fatty things, like sausage and scalloped potatoes. So when he does this, I combat with salads, and smaller portions.

Tomorrow is weigh-in day for me, not looking forward to it, but must be done.

Good Monday Morning Everyone

Today was weigh in day, down 1/2lb for a total of 10.5 lbs. Very happy that I am down as I put my back out and was not able to exercise this week and any loss is going in the right direction :p

Hope everyone has a wonderful week this week and good luck to those who weigh in today.

Here's to chicken, salad and of course the occasional glass of wine!

Hello ladies - if you don't mind, I'd like to join your little thread!

I'm worried I'm REALLY going to need help getting through the holidays (Yes, I consider Halloween a holiday!)

I decided this past June to get this tired, old bod into somewhat of decent shape. Or at least get some of these tired old lbs off of me. So far, I've dropped 28 pounds, but I seem to have plateaued and frankly, I've grown weary of counting calories, watching my portions, blah, blah, blah.

I had a lofty goal of losing 107 pounds, so I would have 79 to go at this stage. But for some reason my body has just stalled out. It seemed to reach this "stall" when I added a pretty intense work-out to the plan. When I was just eating 1500 calories and walking a mile each day I was steadily losing. But then I hired a personal trainer, starting doing intense workouts 3 times a week and yoga twice a week. Then I was lucky to lose tenths of a pound. Some weeks I even gained!

I've decided to go back to the old system of lighter workouts, keeping the mile walks everyday and staying on the 1500 calories. I'm going to keep the yoga twice a week - just because it feels good. Hopefully I can jumpstart the weightloss again. If I can get that back going again, then I'll gradually get back into the gym. We'll see. I'm weighing in tomorrow.

Ann

Magic, YAY on the half pound!! It seems small but it's two sticks of butter!!! When you visualize that there is that much less of you this week then there was last week, you should feel really proud of yourself!

Wendy, don't you just hate those plateaus?!? They take the wind out of your sail, but you can't let it get you down. If you work through it, drink your water and stay strong, you'll overcome it and probably lose a little extra on your next weigh in. Stick with your plan!

Welcome Ann!!! Glad to have you join our little cheering section! You've come a long way! 25% of the way to your goal is awesome! Now that you're working out and you know that muscle weighs more than fat, maybe you could go by measurements for a while instead of by the scale. As you tone, your muscles will get tighter and when the outer layer of fluff is gone, you are going to have one hot bod! Don't be discouraged by the scale. You know, the watched pot that never boils?:rolleyes:

Today I had planned to walk, but it's a rainy day, so I worked around the house. I didn't burn many calories, but I did keep to my points plan. Tomorrow and Wednesday are my volunteer days, so I'll be busy and walking a lot. I'm going to try not to obsess about the scale. I'd rather concentrate on how my clothes fit. I'm going to have a glass of wine when I get to 175. Then it will be my 5 pound reward! To me that's better than chocolate!:p

Thanks for being my weight loss friends!:D

Quote by 5326jan:

Anything with a "minus" in front of it is great news! Awesome!

. . . and so is my size!

Thank you. I'm trying to hang in there.

"A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step." :)

I'll join you all. I'm on a different diet, but I like your time frame of September 2011. That's eleven months. If I can lose four pounds a month, that is actually more weight than I can afford to lose, but Thanksgiving and Christmas will be difficult to maintain momentum. So I think Sept 2011 is a good, reasonable amount of time to get where I want to be, 125 pounds.

I'll join you all. I'm on a different diet, but I like your time frame of September 2011. That's eleven months. If I can lose four pounds a month, that is actually more weight than I can afford to lose, but Thanksgiving and Christmas will be difficult to maintain momentum. So I think Sept 2011 is a good, reasonable amount of time to get where I want to be, 125 pounds.

I'm glad that you can join us too! You're right about Thanksgiving and Christmas, they are going to be hard... I love to cook and have everyone over for dinner, that means leftovers all weekend. It's two weeks out of 11 months that we have until Sept of 2011, so I say we just pay it forward and give ourselves permission to enjoy the holidays.

Do you have another name so we don't have to call you "Heavy"? It kind of defeats the positive vibe!:eek::D

Do you have another name so we don't have to call you "Heavy"? It kind of defeats the positive vibe!:eek::D

You are so right. Heavy isn't exactly what we are going for here. Just call me Surf.

For the holidays I hope to just get by without gaining weight. Trying to lose weight the last five weeks of the year is really asking too much. Wow! It will be tough, no kidding.

Archived