Gifts for ship's staff in addition to cash

yazeee1

You imagine a happy room steward eagerly making a nice living and I picture a room steward separated from his/her family, without many other options to make money in his home country, living in cramped quarters, working very, very long hours cleaning up after other people who make a much nicer living than them (some of whom are not very nice and don't treat them with respect).

To each his/her own!!

This makes me laugh thinking of my day today working in retail. An extreamly rude person was screaming at the top of his lungs at my district manager and I was there silent. He was screaming at a person who more than likely makes 10x what I make for absolutely no reason at all. There are unhappy people everywhere, just because they just so happen to be a crew member on a cruise ship doesn't mean anything. It is what they have signed up for and dealing with people is a hard job no matter what.

You imagine a happy room steward eagerly making a nice living and I picture a room steward separated from his/her family, without many other options to make money in his home country, living in cramped quarters, working very, very long hours cleaning up after other people who make a much nicer living than them (some of whom are not very nice and don't treat them with respect).

To each his/her own!!

I'm not the person you quoted but quite honestly I don't feel sorry for them at all

They support their families very well and yes they work hard but so what?

Everyone works hard and the crew is more than fortunate to be earning a good living and being able to work in a descent environment and while you may not want to do their job that doesn't mean they are not happy to have those jobs

Every steward I've had was...

Clean and well dressed

Looked well fed

Appeared to be educated to a certain extent

Had good communication skills

The list goes on

But honestly I've never noticed a ball and chain on them and from what I've heard their families back home live better than most

So instead of feeling sorry for them why not compliment them on their good character and commitment to supporting their families?

There are plenty of " deadbeat baby daddies" out there that could learn a thing or 2 from cruise ship crew members.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

I'm not the person you quoted but quite honestly I don't feel sorry for them at all

Everyone works hard and the crew is more than fortunate to be earning a good living and being able to work in a descent environment

Clean and well dressed

Looked well fed

The list goes on

But honestly I've never noticed a ball and chain on them and from what I've heard their families back home live better than most

So instead of feeling sorry for them why not compliment them on their good character and commitment to supporting their families?

There are plenty of " deadbeat baby daddies" out there that could learn a thing or 2 from cruise ship crew members.

Just a simple question: would you work as a cruise ship steward if you had other options? They are perhaps able to support their families at home better than some others in their home countries - but that is only because there are only miserable options in those countries.

Are you kidding?

Everyone works hard and the crew is more than fortunate to be earning a good living and being able to work in a descent environment and while you may not want to do their job that doesn't mean they are not happy to have those jobs

Clean and well dressed

Looked well fed

The list goes on

I worked for 35 years and did work hard, but never as hard as the people I have met on cruises. I have been on many cruises on (Disney, RCCL, Costa, Carnival) and have always got to know our stewart and waiters. They love talking about their families back home. Perhaps we just meet different people. I have not met any who loved being away from their families and they only did it because it was the best living they could make. I am a mother and can't imagine being away from my kids that long. If you see having compassion for people's stories means "feeling sorry for them" then so be it. No one said you have to have compassion for them or bring them gifts so who cares what others do.

Edited by suesings

Just a simple question: would you work as a cruise ship steward if you had other options? They are perhaps able to support their families at home better than some others in their home countries - but that is only because there are only miserable options in those countries.

Are you kidding?

You dont get it at all do you?

So what if there are miserable options back home?

These crew members are very fortunate that they have had the fore site to overcome those miserable options and grab these sought after jobs!!!!

And guess what? It doesn't come easy and it takes hard work.

There are reasons why someone ...we here at home ...make sure to graduate high school and makes sure to get advanced training after that....be it college ...or trade school

Because the option of dropping out of high school at 16 only guarantees a miserable future for most ...here at home The smart people ....here at home...do the right thing to secure good futures. That is exactly what the crew is doing for themselves and their families...back home. Securing a good future and a good current lifestyle.

So again we should be applauding these crew members who are smart enough to recognize a way to lift themselves from these miserable existences we hear they could be stuck in back home

They are the smart ones who know how to change the course of theirs and their families futures for the better

But yet...the bleeding hearts will still pity them because they are oh so altruistic and feel so sorry for them

There is no shame in cleaning bathrooms btw and if you think there is then you have the problem not the crew

I know several people who have paid their kids college tuition from cleaning someone else's houses.

Do I do it? No....but I don't have to ....but if cleaning houses was the best money maker to lift my family to middle class status and educate my kids you can bet I would do it

And I wouldn't want anyone's pity but you can be sure if I was cleaning those bathrooms in a cruise ship filled with a bunch of guilt ridden pax......I certainly would be feeding them my tales of woe back home because I'm smart enough to know that will get me a bigger cash tip. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I worked for 35 years and did work hard, but never as hard as the people I have met on cruises. I have been on many cruises on (Disney, RCCL, Costa, Carnival) and have always got to know our stewart and waiters. They love talking about their families back home. Perhaps we just meet different people. I have not met any who loved being away from their families and they only did it because it was the best living they could make. I am a mother and can't imagine being away from my kids that long. If you see having compassion for people's stories means "feeling sorry for them" then so be it. No one said you have to have compassion for them or bring them gifts so who cares what others do.

Many many cultures have traditions of leaving their kids behind with the extended families or traditions of giving the first kid to the grandparents or sending the babies to live with the grandparents for the 1st year

They do this for many reasons

Cultural

Economic

Tradition

Honor

They want the kids in safe family environments while the parents work hard to better the lives of all concerned

Not every culture or country has traditional 9 to 5 easy commute jobs you know so don't knock it

It really is somewhat sad that so many here just don't understand how other cultures operate and think it all should be the same for them as it is for you

In one particular culture it is an honor for parents to send their child home to live with the grandparents for the 1st year so don't feel sorry for them....just recognize that their life and culture and traditions are different from yours and don't try to change them

Just like you wouldn't want them to try to change your traditions lifestyle and culture or feel sorry for you

Would I send my child away? Or would I work half a world away?

No....but then again no one in my middle class highly educated hard working neighborhood does or needs to do that either...for economic or tradition.... so why would I ?

However...there are some doctors at our local high end highly acclaimed hospital who send their babies back home to the grandparents for the first year....go figure huh?

It's not my life but that doesn't mean it's not someone else's life...and that's ok too

Edited by luvtheships

Many many cultures have traditions of leaving their kids behind with the extended families or traditions of giving the first kid to the grandparents or sending the babies to live with the grandparents for the 1st year

They do this for many reasons

Cultural

Economic

Tradition

Honor

They want the kids in safe family environments while the parents work hard to better the lives of all concerned

Not every culture or country has traditional 9 to 5 easy commute jobs you know so don't knock it

It really is somewhat sad that so many here just don't understand how other cultures operate and think it all should be the same for them as it is for you

In one particular culture it is an honor for parents to send their child home to live with the grandparents for the 1st year so don't feel sorry for them....just recognize that their life and culture and traditions are different from yours and don't try to change them

Just like you wouldn't want them to try to change your traditions lifestyle and culture or feel sorry for you

Would I send my child away? Or would I work half a world away?

No....but then again no one in my middle class highly educated hard working neighborhood does or needs to do that either...for economic or tradition.... so why would I ?

However...there are some doctors at our local high end highly acclaimed hospital who send their babies back home to the grandparents for the first year....go figure huh?

It's not my life but that doesn't mean it's not someone else's life...and that's ok too

Yes other cultures do thing differently for sure

I know a nurse who sent her infant twins to live with her parents in China for close to 4 years

She skyped of course but only saw them once in 4 years....

Why? Because she was working very hard in order to save money so that when she brought them back they could live in the NYC suburbs versus the not so safe inner city neighborhood she and her husband....yes husband...who also worked very hard....were currently living in while they worked 12 hour shifts plus overtime to make a better life for the kids.

While I'm glad I never had to do this....oh wait my paternal grandfather had to leave his family behind in Europe for 10 years before he could bring them over but I digress....

I do not pity or feel sorry for the crew but rather I commend them for being solidly committed to providing a better life back home for their families which of course also means a better life for themselves when they eventually leave cruise ship work and go home to run a successful business there which they started with the money they earned on the ships

Edited by Crusin6

I totally stole this from another thread on this topic, but I find those huge stuffed animals you win at the county fair to be especially prized and appreciated [emoji3]

Ha ha ha! And I bet they would smile and thank you and act like they are very excited about getting it, just like they do for every gift that is given to them, and then toss him overboard to swim with the sharks!!!:) I think gifts make the giver happy, but not always the receiver. We can convince ourselves that our gifts are wanted, used and liked, but the fact is that these folks are working for money to send back home and I would bet my house on the fact that they would prefer to have cash over a gift that they might not use or want. Why not ask the person when you are giving the gift if they would prefer the gift or the cash equivalent? I guess then you would know how they feel about gifts!!! Edited by NLH Arizona

I totally stole this from another thread on this topic, but I find those huge stuffed animals you win at the county fair to be especially prized and appreciated [emoji3]

To see their faces light up when you give them to the crew is a treasure. It brings me to tears when I pat them on the head and they hug my leg.

To see their faces light up when you give them to the crew is a treasure. It brings me to tears when I pat them on the head and they hug my leg.
I can see them running around the ship with the animal over their head showing everyone what they got and telling everyone that they are going to spend their hard earned money to send it back home for all in their country to see how much someone appreciates them. Edited by NLH Arizona

I have given Small gifts that I know were appreciated

a) phone card to call home

b) on every cruise. we bring 1 can of maple syrup from Home ( Quebec) and we pick our "employee of the cruise". When we have decided, we ensure that they know the difference between "real maple syrup" and the other stuff.

TRUST ME.........they appreciate it.

We even had one waiter say " this one is coming home with me. my son will finally taste this". And months later.......... FACEBOOK post......... young son having pancakes with the maple syrup.

c) Finally...... one year, we got Halloween candies and gave it to all the staff ( including towel hut, Maintenance and others that are sometimes "invisible" ) Again, trust me , they were happy.

Ha ha ha! And I bet they would smile and thank you and act like they are very excited about getting it, just like they do for every gift that is given to them, and then toss him overboard to swim with the sharks!!!:) I think gifts make the giver happy, but not always the receiver. We can convince ourselves that our gifts are wanted, used and liked, but the fact is that these folks are working for money to send back home and I would bet my house on the fact that they would prefer to have cash over a gift that they might not use or want. Why not ask the person when you are giving the gift if they would prefer the gift or the cash equivalent? I guess then you would know how they feel about gifts!!!

Oh no now you've opened up that pollution can of worms!!!!

How dare you say they though them overboard!!!!

Asking if you can throw someone's ashes overboard causes an uproar here didn't you know that? Lol

I have given Small gifts that I know were appreciated

a) phone card to call home

b) on every cruise. we bring 1 can of maple syrup from Home ( Quebec) and we pick our "employee of the cruise". When we have decided, we ensure that they know the difference between "real maple syrup" and the other stuff.

TRUST ME.........they appreciate it.

We even had one waiter say " this one is coming home with me. my son will finally taste this". And months later.......... FACEBOOK post......... young son having pancakes with the maple syrup.

c) Finally...... one year, we got Halloween candies and gave it to all the staff ( including towel hut, Maintenance and others that are sometimes "invisible" ) Again, trust me , they were happy.

I think you are joking here but honestly cant tell. Lol

We all know the phone cards are useless

Maple syrup....now that's funny

Halloween candy.....oh my....I just give then John Deere tractor key chains from my home state....the crew adores them!!!!!

Edited by Crusin6

Oh no now you've opened up that pollution can of worms!!!!

How dare you say they though them overboard!!!!

Asking if you can throw someone's ashes overboard causes an uproar here didn't you know that? Lol

Well, I figured with all the treasures they probably receive that they don't want or don't have room for, they could make the animal a little fish food. But, I guess you are correct about nothing going overboard:), so they will just have to spend their hard earned money to send it home or they can take him for a walk off the ship and just forget to bring him back on. Can't you picture stuffed animals left at every port!!!!:eek:

Well, I figured with all the treasures they probably receive that they don't want or don't have room for, they could make the animal a little fish food. But, I guess you are correct about nothing going overboard:), so they will just have to spend their hard earned money to send it home or they can take him for a walk off the ship and just forget to bring him back on. Can't you picture stuffed animals left at every port!!!!:eek:

I have never witnessed that scenario. Can you describe what you have seen in more detail ??

Cash is so crass.

Whenever I dine at a nice restaurant, in lieu of a tip, I leave a nice hand-crafted bar of soap.... or some fragrant potpourri the server would NEVER buy for herself. TRUST ME, it's appreciated more than she can express.

Or, after a multi-day hotel stay, I reward housekeeping with a SixFlags New England daypass (for four) groupon. TRUST ME-- I've seen employees break down and cry over my generosity.

Makes me feel so good.

I give the crew gifts I know they like and can use. I would not consider ridiculing them with other types of gifts.

How could you possibly know what the crew likes unless you put them on the spot by asking personal questions which in of itself is incredibly rude. I know they must adore your commerative plate from your last state fair.

I know you must feel they want your junk but trust me and ten million other cruisers, they don't.

Cash is so crass.

Whenever I dine at a nice restaurant, in lieu of a tip, I leave a nice hand-crafted bar of soap.... or some fragrant potpourri the server would NEVER buy for herself. TRUST ME, it's appreciated more than she can express.

Or, after a multi-day hotel stay, I reward housekeeping with a SixFlags New England daypass (for four) groupon. TRUST ME-- I've seen employees break down and cry over my generosity.

Makes me feel so good.

I'm tearing up just imagining it.

Cash gifts are an insult to many cultures so I just knit my room steward and butler each a winter scarf in lieu of tips. Sometimes the concierge, too - but only depending upon how much I utilized their services.

They always cry and it is very heartwarming to see how I have touched their lives in a meaningful way.

Cash gifts are an insult to many cultures so I just knit my room steward and butler each a winter scarf in lieu of tips. Sometimes the concierge, too - but only depending upon how much I utilized their services.

They always cry and it is very heartwarming to see how I have touched their lives in a meaningful way.

This is especially useful especially if they just signed a new contract for the Caribbean

How could you possibly know what the crew likes unless you put them on the spot by asking personal questions which in of itself is incredibly rude. I know they must adore your commerative plate from your last state fair.

I know you must feel they want your junk but trust me and ten million other cruisers, they don't.

I have known some of these people for several years. I should not respond to this nonsense, but you deserve to be enlightened.

Where did you get some of these weird ideas about the gifts I give my friends ????

It is becoming very difficult to conduct a sensible discussion on these boards.

Edited by swedish weave