What is your favorite MDR appetizer or entree?

ramby

I'm amazed to see so many votes for the Vidalia Onion Tart on here. I tried it on Vision last year, and wasn't very impressed, just a very average quiche. Also my husband had the escargot, the sauce had dried hard to the serving plate, no extra bread needed :( Maybe we were just unlucky. I don't know whether to try again or steer well clear when we are on the Jewel in three weeks ??

I was sitting with someone last year also on Vision who had the Vidalia Onion Tart - they also reported that it was like a very average quiche! It's the only time I've seen it so I don't know if it's always like that. The food on Vision generally wasn't good so I can quite easily believe it would be worth trying again to see if it can be better.

Really liked the Beef and Veal Tortelloni the one time I had it and also the Mahi Mahi Tempura. The formal night seafood kebab was very good on Indy in August.

As others have said, the onion tart is heavenly as are the cold soups. Strawberry is my favorite.

Count me in as a second vote for the Scallop Risotto too. I get that as my meal the night it's served.

For dessert I like the small flourless chocolate cake in the choco-chino trilogy.

Loved the onion tart and the lamb... didn't care for the savory bites (hard as rocks every night on our Indy sailing last February) or the Mahi Mahi tempura (just tasted like plain fried fish, nothing special).

Thanks for sharing the reciepe!

My wife's was a duck main course that we had on our 1st cruise but never since. There is a cheese pasta type dish that she gets each time that I'm going to order the next go around.

I typically enjoy all of the warm soup appetizers except for an Asian type one that smelled as bad as it tasted. :O)

I also typically ask or listen to the waiter's suggestion. We typically eat 2nd seating, and they share what got the best comments. When in doubt, order more than one! :)

Vidalia onion tart is hit or miss in my opinion - when it is served hot and the shell is crispy, it is definitely a hit!

Lemongrass chicken soup with asian dumplings (served the first night I believe) is one of my faves.

Filet of beef - has been awesome every time

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower - worth trying, it is fantastic!

Linguine in a creamy truffle sauce - fabulous

Wild mushrooms in puff pastry (is an appetizer and very good!)

Cream of asparagus soup with slivered almonds on top - Yum!

I have to agree with those who chose the Vidalia Onion Tart. I have it on every cruise. My last cruise out of Puerto Rico had an Onion Tart with a little more texture and taste (both good things). Nightly for desert, two (2) scoops of vanilla ice cream and whatever cake is available.

I found this link for RCCL food earlier on this board. Give a look, it may help you to remember a particular dish.

http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-1/

I'm with you on this. It's not to be missed. I also wait for the creme brule

O boy, make a special request of your waiter for Coconut Brule.....if you like coconut, you'll be mad for it!!

I also adore the scallop resoto and the lobster bisque. Am addicted to the garlic soup as well, could eat 2 of those!:rolleyes:

So this is beyond redundant but I agree with the onion tart. I also like the escargot and most of the cold soups (and am looking forward to trying some of the new ones). The family-style focaccia salad is good too.

I have also found the beef dishes to be done well, especially the prime rib and the NY strip steak. The roasted duck is also excellent (I really like the sides with this one too). I don't usually get vegetarian dishes but I really like the asparagus and brie tart (like a quiche, with salad) and some of the Indian dishes, including the potato curry and chana masala (chickpeas).

I love dessert but have been a little dissapointed with RCI's offerings (and I find the quality of these, out of all RCI's food, varies most greatly from ship to ship) but the key lime pie is good (as is the sugar-free version); if the ship's desserts aren't too gelatenous (perhaps some ships add more when the ship will be rocking?) the raspberry pana cotta is good. The cheesecakes are univerally bad. Desserts are better in the WJ and other venues and are excellent in Chops.

Breads are RCI's forte, from the breakfast stollen to the basket offered each night in the MDR (especially savory bites, cornbread, and banana bread).

Cheers,

I have to agree with those who chose the Vidalia Onion Tart. I have it on every cruise. My last cruise out of Puerto Rico had an Onion Tart with a little more texture and taste (both good things). Nightly for desert, two (2) scoops of vanilla ice cream and whatever cake is available.

I found this link for RCCL food earlier on this board. Give a look, it may help you to remember a particular dish.

http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-1/

Hmmm...this versin of the onion tart has a different sauce than I am used to: a leek cream sauce instead of a red pepper coulis. I'm not sure I will like the new one as much.

O boy, make a special request of your waiter for Coconut Brule.....if you like coconut, you'll be mad for it!!

I also adore the scallop resoto and the lobster bisque. Am addicted to the garlic soup as well, could eat 2 of those!:rolleyes:

Oh I forgot about the yummy scallop risotto! It was indeed very good, and could have made a meal out of it!

I am not a big beer drinker. Doctor said I could have one beer every day or none at all. I am going with none.

Pills from almost any health food store, GNC, or

http://www.traversebayfarms.com/tartcherry.htm?ky=tart%20cherry%20pills&gclid=CPeP64KM_KQCFc9a7AodWy68hw

Talk to your doctor about Colchicine. Keep it on hand, if you feel a gout attack coming on and start taking colchicine it will almost always stop it in its tracks!:)

Archived