What is your favorite MDR appetizer or entree?

ramby

Mmm escargots... love when I asked the maitre' d why they don't serve them in the shells with the little tweezer-type shell holders and a pick to remove the snail (that's what I remember from my first cruise years ago)... he laughed and said too many cruisers lost their grip and flipped them across the dining room into other diner's laps!!! LOL

Royal Caribbean handles all of their beef dishes very well, the weakness on Princess ships, where the beef often tastes liverish... and while I give Princess the higher vote for excellent seafood, on my recent cruises RCI has done quite well in that area, too (though I have to agree with the earlier poster that their lobster bisque is not divine).

They have a number of very light appetizers which are delightful and don't fill you up before the meal (eg. fruit slices with a coulis, etc.)

For dessert, I'm fond of the raspberry puddings which require an order of two... MM can you post that famous picture, please? : )

Best dessert: the SOUFFLES!!!! Ahhh.... love it when the waiter breaks the crust and pours in the topping... mmmm...

purchased the cook book on board and made it at home...BUT NOT AS GOOD AS ON BOARD IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM...can't wait til march to have a couple...also the fruit soup's are the bombh...my family thinks i'm crazzzzy and i am but i love anything with fruit in it...my gout condition will probabaly prevent me from eating any beef this cruise...but i'll make the adjustment...

Knew automatically I would say the Vidalia Onion Tart! I agree that the appetizers are my favorite part of my meal onboard.

I also like the potato leek soup available in the Windjammer on the first day. That is the first thing I head for.

purchased the cook book on board and made it at home...BUT NOT AS GOOD AS ON BOARD IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM...can't wait til march to have a couple...also the fruit soup's are the bombh...my family thinks i'm crazzzzy and i am but i love anything with fruit in it...my gout condition will probabaly prevent me from eating any beef this cruise...but i'll make the adjustment...

I just finished a gout flair up. My doctor thinks it may have been beer. Are you on Uloric? Have you tried tart cherry extract pills from health food store or online?

i'm not a big beer driner at all...buti dom it alot of cold cuts for lumnch and i waqs told that the preservative in this is full of uric acid...i have medication and tart cherry juice...but i have to tell ya Jack...those flair ups hurt like a bunavasich...the knuckle on my big left toe is like someone is hitting it was a freek'n jack hammer...i guess i'll have to bring the tart cherry juice with me in march on the liberty or try the pills...where did you get the pills

i'm not a big beer driner at all...where did you get the pills

I am not a big beer drinker. Doctor said I could have one beer every day or none at all. I am going with none.

Pills from almost any health food store, GNC, or

http://www.traversebayfarms.com/tartcherry.htm?ky=tart%20cherry%20pills&gclid=CPeP64KM_KQCFc9a7AodWy68hw

Pork Medallions the first night! Yummy! We cant get shrimp cocktail the first night but you can every other night if you ask. Savory bites are a must as well. Have never tried the Vidalia Onion tart. Can someone post a pic and explain what all the ingredients are beside the onion.

"

Gout, a painful form of arthritis, has long been associated with diet, particularly overindulgence in meat, seafood and alcohol. As a result, gout treatment used to include severe dietary restrictions, which made the gout diet hard to stick to. Fortunately, newer medications to treat gout have reduced the need for a strict gout diet.

In many ways, the gout diet resembles the healthy eating plan recommended for most people. Besides helping you maintain a healthy weight and avoid several chronic diseases, this diet may contribute to better overall management of your gout."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/AboutThisSite/AM00057

Royal Caribbean International

Vidalia Onion Tart with Red Pepper Coulis Garnish

October 2006

PIE

1 pie crust purchased or

1 cup all purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

¼ cup shortening at room temperature

3 Tablespoons water

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 cup julienned Vidalia onions (2-3 onions)

1 Tablespoon chopped thyme

Salt and freshly ground pepper

FILING

½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese

3 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon chopped parsley

1 Tablespoon chopped chives

½ tsp. ground nutmeg

RED PEPPER COULIS

4 red bell peppers

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

GARNISH

1 medium Vidalia onion

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Fresh chervil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, with a fork, lightly stir together flour and salt. With fork, cut shortening into flour until the mixture resembles crumbs. Sprinkle cold water one teaspoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until pastry begins to hold together. With your hands, shape into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry in 1/8 inch thick circle about 2 inches larger than pie mold.

Roll pastry circle gently onto rolling pin. Transfer to pie mold and unroll. With a sharp knife, trim edges, pinch to form a high ridge and make a decorative edge by pressing with a fork. Prick pie crust with a fork to prevent puffing during baking. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

Blind bake pie crust for 7 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.

While pie crust is baking, warm olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat, and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper.

Spread onions evenly in pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add cream, fresh herbs and seasonings. Beat until well mixed.

Pour mixture over cheese and onions. Bake for 40 minutes.

For coulis, blanch peppers in boiling water. Cool in ice water, and remove skins.

In a blender, puree the peppers and olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

For garnish, in a small skillet over high heat, warm oil and deep fry onion until golden brown (about 2 minutes).

Serve slices of tart on warmed plates, top with fried onions and garnish with spoons of pepper coulis

Archived