SD1 Spring 2011 Transatlantic crossing

Archipelago

I did not think it would be too early to start a thread on the SD1 Spring Transatlantic crossing San Juan to London so here it is :D. I tentatively have reservations at the Sheraton Old San Juan since it is close to the ship and I will only be there they day before . I have reservations at the newly re-opened Savoy in London for three days, but I may change that . It seems there are lots of great deals now . I also like the Stafford , One Aldwych, and Hotel 41 among others. I have a friend flying over to arrive the day that we disembark in London so that will be nice as well . Who else is going ? :p We will have a blast !!!!!! I live half way between Miami and New York which is DJ's and FT's same state ...North Carolina . I'm looking at the fall blog and picking out my deck chair in advance !!!!;)

It would be great to meet you !!!:D I picked that one because of the opportunity of sailing under the Tower bridge. I'm not sure I would have that chance again .. and allllllllll the way from San Juan to boot !!!:p I've been on two Transatlantics in the past on the QE2 and I really enjoy sea days and the camaraderie from the fellow passengers . Let us know if you do decide to book !! We are going to have a great time !!!!:D It is definitely exciting !!

I am booked for this sailing as well! Going solo, my DH says he can't be on board for that amount of time. Me, the longer the better! My mom is booked as well across the hall. Looking forward to the sail up the Thames. Sweet!! :p

It would be great to meet you !!!:D I picked that one because of the opportunity of sailing under the Tower bridge. I'm not sure I would have that chance again .. and allllllllll the way from San Juan to boot !!!:p I've been on two Transatlantics in the past on the QE2 and I really enjoy sea days and the camaraderie from the fellow passengers . Let us know if you do decide to book !! We are going to have a great time !!!!:D It is definitely exciting !!

QE2 is my all time favorite ship. Many transats on that beautiful ship.

OHMISS will be looking forward to meeting you and your mom !! I am going solo as well !!

Jim I was last on the QE2 on December 15th 2000 from the UK to NYC . We were in a force 12 gale with some snow and were several hours late getting to NYC.. all the flights had to be redone . Had a good time on that and had booked it not wanting to spend too much so I ended up in a broom closet close to the pool area . The cabin was not on any room plan,

and was really tiny , but I liked it since the whole voyage only cost me $900 and I never stayed in the cabin . I was out rocking and rolling with the ship and it was a sight to see the waves splash up on the windows on a high deck !!:p

Never too early to start a countdown or a thread for a SD sailing Archipelago:D

Sailing up the Thames and under the Tower Bridge is a Bucket List item for me!

Ohmiss has NC ties as well Archipelago:D

DJ, you can get rid of that one Bucket List item by booking the London sailing while you are on board this sailing!! We arrive in London on my birthday, we can celebrate yours too!! teehee!!

I look forward to meeting you too, Archipelago, it's a (2 week) PARTY!! Yes, as DisneyJen said--I lived in Charlotte for many years. Love NC.

DJ, you can get rid of that one Bucket List item by booking the London sailing while you are on board this sailing!! We arrive in London on my birthday, we can celebrate yours too!! teehee!!

I look forward to meeting you too, Archipelago, it's a (2 week) PARTY!! Yes, as DisneyJen said--I lived in Charlotte for many years. Love NC.

Only problem is that '11 is a BIG birthday for DJ's DH which means I have to do what HE wants for his birthday trip (I am guessing it will involve a 38 to 50 foot sailboat in the BVI).

Although maybe if I start now with trading my solo weeks in '11 and '12 in Aruba he will green light a solo crossing ... although it really wouldn't be solo because I would be with ohmiss and Archipelago:p

I know that there will be a booking made while we are on board ... NEXT WEEK!! Just not sure when or where.

I'm in Hickory north of Charlotte !! It's probably not too late to book DJ !! I've been perusing the past blogs and see where some of the same folks are on every year !! I think there may be a special ceremony when we pass under the Tower bridge !!!!:D It's gonna be nice !!!!:p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kids - please count us in....we too are looking forward to sailing up the Thames and docking by Tower Bridge. After, we plan to spend 3 weeks in London - a city we never tire of.

Look forward to meeting you Archipelago and ohmiss!

Cheers!

Dee and John

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have been booked for sometime. We have never been on Seadream, but have done many crossings. Seabourn Legend has been our smallest ship so far. We are not sure this is the best way to start on this line, but we do like sea days and require little entertainment. I do hope that the ship is mostly full or it could be a little slow. Any prior crossers on Seadream aboard?

Bruce and Lynn

Dear Bruce and Lynn - welcome! Like you, this is our first SD cruise though we have done many crossings. And our smallest ship for a crossing was Seabourn Pride.

Did you know there is a photo blog (not sure what to call it) of the current crossing? I found it the other day. It gives you some idea what a SD crossing is like. Sorry I can't give you the link...not sure how I found it! Hopefully someone reading this can help!?

Cheers - Dee

Dear Bruce and Lynn - welcome! Like you, this is our first SD cruise though we have done many crossings. And our smallest ship for a crossing was Seabourn Pride.

Did you know there is a photo blog (not sure what to call it) of the current crossing? I found it the other day. It gives you some idea what a SD crossing is like. Sorry I can't give you the link...not sure how I found it! Hopefully someone reading this can help!?

Cheers - Dee

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1307311

Theresa WI is in SE Wis. Nice, tiny rural community. We are in far North Central Wi. You do not want to many WI people onboard. We will just talk football the whole cruise.

I read a review on SeaDream that said the bed made so much noise that you have to put in on the floor to sleep?? Anyone been on this boat before?

I think that link is SeaDream II which I am told has totally different clientele profile. I have no experience, but that information dicated our crossing on SeaDream I.

For what it's worth, I've been on both ships a number of times starting as far back as 1995, on crossings, in the Med, Alaska, South America and in the Caribbean and I wouldn't say that the 2 ships have different clientele profiles. Of course, YMMV, etc.

Theresa WI is in SE Wis. Nice, tiny rural community. We are in far North Central Wi. You do not want to many WI people onboard. We will just talk football the whole cruise.

I read a review on SeaDream that said the bed made so much noise that you have to put in on the floor to sleep?? Anyone been on this boat before?

As I recall the review and thread that talked about a creaking/noisy bed is a few years old. Just off SD2 for its Fall Crossing where DJ's DH and I both commented on how quiet the ship was in terms of engine noise (lack thereof) and cabin noise (beds, neighbors, etc).

I think that link is SeaDream II which I am told has totally different clientele profile. I have no experience, but that information dicated our crossing on SeaDream I.

We have sailed three times on SD2 and twice on SD1 since 2004. I would sail on either yacht anytime. In our experience, the passengers aren't any different on SD1 versus SD2.

For what it's worth, I've been on both ships a number of times starting as far back as 1995, on crossings, in the Med, Alaska, South America and in the Caribbean and I wouldn't say that the 2 ships have different clientele profiles. Of course, YMMV, etc.

Our experience is exactly the same ctbjr.

Have to throw my 2cents in as well. Don't know where you heard that about the passenger mix but I also can tell no difference between the ships. The mix can and does change but apparently equally for either ship. Hard to pick a favorite out of these two. Noise issues can happen. A call to the hot man or ships officers usually fixes all issues.:eek:

J.

That's interesting...I hadn't realized there was much difference between SDI and SDII. Can some experienced SD cruisers explain and elucidate? Are there differences in the passengers and the ships themselves? How about the crew and officers?

Thanks,

Dee

Archived