SD1 Spring 2011 Transatlantic crossing

Archipelago

I've sailed on SD I two times, once in the Carib and once in the Med, and SD II two times, again once in the Carib and once in the Med, since 2007. I have a cruise booked on SD II in January 2011 in the Carib and a cruise on SD I in late June in the Baltic. I have enjoyed all of these cruises very much and have seen no real difference in the ships or their passenger mix. I would not have booked on both ships for next year if I found there to be problems! Certainly on any cruise you may encounter an obnoxious person or 2, a large group that changes the passenger mix dynamics, or depending upon your age you may have an older group or a younger group of passengers that perhaps you don't fit in with as well as you would like. I frankly have never had a problem finding interesting and compatible fellow passengers.

As for the crew and officers, I have found both yachts to have outstanding crew and officers. The level of professionalism, willingness to please, friendliness, service, etc is the same on both yachts. Also, I've always found the beds to be very comfortable.

Think you'll have a great cruise on either yacht!

That's interesting...I hadn't realized there was much difference between SDI and SDII. Can some experienced SD cruisers explain and elucidate? Are there differences in the passengers and the ships themselves? How about the crew and officers?

Thanks,

Dee

As a veteran SD cruiser (3 cruises on SD2 and two on SD1 for a total on 41 nights) I find this whole line of inquiry interesting. I really would be interested in learning the source/basis of oceanpath's comments, especially since he/she hasn't sailed either yacht.

In my opinion, there is NO difference between the two yachts. I am perfectly happy sailing on either! Obviously there are different captains and officers and staff and crew on each yacht but all of them meet the SeaDream standards. Most times the only way I know which yacht I am on is by the faces of the crew (not the service level) as we have favorites on each yacht.

In terms of passengers/clientele ... We have friends who sail on both yachts with no preference of one yacht over the other.

If you look at my March '08 (SD1) and March '09 (SD2) reviews you will see that both experiences were seamless. Let me know if you need the link.

Have to agree with the other posters - no difference between the 2 ships.

Passenger mix always changes, but I can honestly say we've never had a negative experience.... have always met interesting people on board and all of SD's crew are amazing.

Like whatnot, we're taking 2 SD trips next year - one on SDII; the other on SD I - and we're really looking forward to our 6th and 7th trips respectively with Sea Dream.

There's a reason BOTH ships have such a loyal following!

We're on this crossing........just got off, not long ago, the delayed crossing arrival in SJU.

Can't say much difference on 1 vs.2, we sailed both once, but, we did sail with Johannes on the 2, so, that was probably preferrable.

We're from New York, and, after a 2 day respite, we sail home on Queen Mary 2 from Southhampton on the 10th of May.

Hello A Train - sailing back on the QM2 should be great. They should be two quite different TA's. I envy you your cruise on the QM2 but on the other hand we are staying in London for 3 weeks before flying (:eek:) home. Wish were could sail back to California!

Cheers - Dee

Howdy John B.

Greeting's from the Seabourn Scalawag ~~I was tickled to see your postings! The Tower Bridge sailings are always dee-lightful ~I've been aboard the Pride several times when we arrived and when we departed ~a real thrill! Some of us will be Crossing on the Seabourn Legend in March ~ (Yes, I'm hosting a few festive parties! Theme is: "All Decked Out") Think about joining us for next Fall's Quest Nov. Maiden TA Crossing ~the new big Sister's are very elegant and mucho fun!

I mailed your Christmas card yesterday ~~

Wishing all the Sea Dreamer's a most fantastic TA Crossing and a joyous, blessed Holiday Season :p

Martita B.

Hey Miss M!!!

I mailed your card on Wednesday !!!:D It will be nice to get away this spring and it is good to hear from you on this board !! I'm working on the Dr John program and it has attracted the attention of David Holt and also an author from the western part of the state ! I grew the goatee and looked like him :p Now I have to act like him !!!

I will keep you advised of that and I hope to see you again soon . We are going to miss Will and Kate's wedding by one week so I guess I will have to decline my invitation !!;)

John B.

Hey Dr. B.

Wonderful news ~~My Son, John has a new gorgeous home down on Lake Amistad so I'm in Del Rio often ~~his good friends now own Dr. B's house in Del Rio ~~small world, huh? John's oldest daughter (Med. school) is marrying June 11 ~~sooo I had to decline the kind April 29th wedding invitation, as well ~~tooo many pre-nuptial parties in Texas that I must attend (he he ;))

I know your Sea Dream TA Crossing will be magical! I sail often with Capt. Erik L. Anderssen ~former Sea Dream ~he's a hoot!

I know Dee from Seabourn ~~great and cute gal! And Jim A. was aboard the Spirit ~I believe they had a good time!

Have a most joyous and blessed Holiday Season and a marvelous TA Crossing ~

Martita B.

• 1 month later...

Tower Bridge.....that's where we've anchored twice with Seabourn.

Just curious, we've been #1 waitlist for the bottom category, Y-2, since May. We thinks not possible that 17 cabins have not had a cancellation in 8 months.

Any of you booked Y-2 after May, 2010?

Thanks!

Just a thought. I cannot imagine that you will tender in London. It is the end of the voyage. The passengers and luggage have to be off loaded and the ship has to be replenished. You will dock somewhere.

Also good luck on a cabin opening.

zqvol - I agree - can't imagine using a tender to disembark. But if we don't anchor where do we dock? Guess I'll call SD.

Cheers - Dee

Sorry can't help with that as I haven't been in London. Call Miami, (SD office) they are always happy to help.

I'm impressed. I called SD yesterday asking where we would anchor or dock and today got this email reply:

SeaDream I will tie up alongside the permanently moored WWII warship, HMS Belfast, directly across the Thames river from the Tower of London . Docking will be dependent on pilotage times up the Thames but is expected to be around 5pm on Saturday 7th May. Disembarkation will take place in the morning, Sunday 8th May.

So we get to under Tower Bridge! And wasn't that good customer service?

Cheers -

Dee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi SeaDreamers! I made a snap decision and just booked on this transatlantic. It's been on my wish-list for years to cross the Atlantic by boat; I've done it so often by plane and I love the sea. I'm also a Trans-Atlanticer by birth; mother English, father American, dual national and lived half my life on the East coasts of each country. So I decided "what am I waiting for?" Will be solo - too long for my DH and, in any case, too long to leave my five pups in kennels, so DH has volunteered to keep them safe, walked and fed. I now live in Washington D.C. and so I just got a flight to San Juan to arrive the evening before we sail. I was thinking of getting a flight home on the Sunday May 8 -- there's flights at 5pm -- but saw someone here mention that a previous transatlantic was delayed. Does anyone know if delays are routine on these transatlantics? I'm very excited about this trip, but after two weeks will probably also be excited to see DH and the pups again!

Anyhow, we've sailed on two SD Caribbean cruises and absolutely love them. I do a lot of Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and at the beginning of this year DH and I sailed on Royal Clipper, the big tall ship with 42 sails. A great experience (and a special birthday treat for me)...but we both agreed that SD beats everyone else.

Very much looking forward to meeting you onboard; I'll likely have lots of questions between now and then.

Karen

I was thinking of getting a flight home on the Sunday May 8 -- there's flights at 5pm -- but saw someone here mention that a previous transatlantic was delayed. Does anyone know if delays are routine on these transatlantics?

Hi there. Lucky you. We just came home yesterday from our latest SD cruise and would love to be on this trip with you. As you noted, delays do happen but they are rare. SeaDream builds in extra time on crossings to help avoid delays and in fact you are scheduled to arrive in London the evening of May 7. With that said, I'd not hesitate to book a 5 PM flight out of London on May 8. If you do encounter a delay that causes an issue with your flight home I'd expect that SeaDream would step up and help you resolve the situation satisfactorily.

Have a great trip!

Archived