If You Like To Think Of The Star As A Good Ship...Do NOT Read This Review

SailorJack

Thanks for the thought, but another Cruise Critic member has already done that.:) He collected all of the reviews and put them in an e-reader format and has offered them to anyone who wants to download the collection.

I am not sure if has included this review, but I know he has collected all the others.

Where would we find that SailorJack?

Janette

OMG !!! I almost didn't read this because of the title...you are now famous in our family..as I sent a copy to everyone....you have become a family member through your humor alone!!!!

but as a side note: we did know Dad was out there having fun when we were young, just didn't know if any of those fast swimming things took in anyone else!! (we just can't figure out why no one gets us, our family or our take of the world???..but YOU must be another disturbed family member, lost in the secerts of life)..we are Italians we DO use our hands, but we would be there with you duct tape at hand with that drive!!!!

My only disappointment is NO ONE in our family is able to put it on paper..you my friend have it down to the point of hysteria...

The camel drive brought me to tears!! You need to write and I mean books......

I now can't wait to go back and EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WRITTEN..your like finding a great book in the middle of a series..have to go back and start at the beginning!!!

Thank you, thank you thank you..I enjoyed this more than you'll ever know.

Nancy

OMG !!! I almost didn't read this because of the title...you are now famous in our family..as I sent a copy to everyone....you have become a family member through your humor alone!!!!

but as a side note: we did know Dad was out there having fun when we were young, just didn't know if any of those fast swimming things took in anyone else!! (we just can't figure out why no one gets us, our family or our take of the world???..but YOU must be another disturbed family member, lost in the secerts of life)..we are Italians we DO use our hands, but we would be there with you duct tape at hand with that drive!!!!

My only disappointment is NO ONE in our family is able to put it on paper..you my friend have it down to the point of hysteria...

The camel drive brought me to tears!! You need to write and I mean books......

I now can't wait to go back and EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WRITTEN..your like finding a great book in the middle of a series..have to go back and start at the beginning!!!

Thank you, thank you thank you..I enjoyed this more than you'll ever know.

Nancy

WOW.:D I don't know about family:D, but SailorJill is of Italian stock (Sicily) and shares my style of humor. You have probably already seen it, but links to my other reviews are in my signature. Thanks again for your very kind words. I see you list Georgia and Florida as home - two great states. We have lived in Atlanta for years now and like to SCUBA in the keys. Take care,

Jack

You always make my day. I read your reviews with smiles and laughter.:)

Where are you and SailorJill heading next;)

Glad you enjoyed it. Nothing booked yet, but we will probably sail the Med again sometime around May. We usually wait for last minute deals and try to balance that out with higher airfares for booking so late.:)

That was an awesome review! Then, I went on to the other reviews you have listed in your signature! Thank you so much for the chuckles... Hopefully, you will be sailing again soon?

Thanks!:) As I mentioned above - next trip probably in May.

Sorry I missed meeting you and SailorJill on the Star. Once again, another great review!

We missed the Meet and Greet:( so was unable to connect with everyone on the roll call. That said, I heard you had a great one! To often, people go to the meeting, grab a chair and then talk only with the people sitting next to them. I hear you guys told people to stand up and mingle - and everyone had a chance to meet everyone else. Perhaps we will have another sailing together.

Jack

WOW.:D I don't know about family:D, but SailorJill is of Italian stock (Sicily) and shares my style of humor. You have probably already seen it, but links to my other reviews are in my signature. Thanks again for your very kind words. I see you list Georgia and Florida as home - two great states. We have lived in Atlanta for years now and like to SCUBA in the keys. Take care,

Jack

We are Northern Italian, Naples...still make homemade pasta with the family on Holidays!!!! This year I'm jumping ON ship to escape the 8+ day prep and execution for Thanksgiving dinner ...(which by the way I ‘m 99.9999% responsible for ).. life is good!!! Oh, their complaining but I’m not listening

I'm near Helen, Ga. just up from you.(have a couple of vacation rentals on the Chattahoochee up here) My husband works at the new Loews hotel in mid town.

We rent an apt yearly on Amelia island just above Jacksonville, but I'm truly a 3rd generation of Floridian from Lake Worth by West Palm Bch...my brother still goes to the keys every late Aug/Sept for those little pieces of gold in the rocks there!!!! He has a place on Crooked Island for fishing too!!! (still haven't been there myself!!! )

Great pictures.. to go with the excellent narration. Thanks to your review, we can't wait for our cruise next week on the same itinerary. Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed it. I was finally able to load Jill's pictures on the computer, so here are some she took at Pompeii. They are a little on the macabre side though.

The people who died nearly two thousand years ago where covered in ash from Mount Vesuvius. Subsequent rain turned the ash into mud and as the bodies decomposed (all except the bones), they left a cavity in the mud that was basically in the shape of the people. Excavators then poured plaster into these "molds" and we have the shapes. Some are just heart wrenching - whole families huddled together and dogs still tied to their chains.

Here are a couple of the less gruesome ones:

2389163470106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2330865880106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2934097980106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Our guide told us that for the bodies that they are now recovering, they are using a clear silicone substance instead of plaster. This process will allow the bones to show. I am not sure I would want to see that, however.

On a happier note, I will post pictures of the beautifuly Amalfi coast when I can upload them.

Jack

Jack

We are Northern Italian, Naples...still make homemade pasta with the family on Holidays!!!! This year I'm jumping ON ship to escape the 8+ day prep and execution for Thanksgiving dinner ...(which by the way I ‘m 99.9999% responsible for ).. life is good!!! Oh, their complaining but I’m not listening

I'm near Helen, Ga. just up from you.(have a couple of vacation rentals on the Chattahoochee up here) My husband works at the new Loews hotel in mid town.

We rent an apt yearly on Amelia island just above Jacksonville, but I'm truly a 3rd generation of Floridian from Lake Worth by West Palm Bch...my brother still goes to the keys every late Aug/Sept for those little pieces of gold in the rocks there!!!! He has a place on Crooked Island for fishing too!!! (still haven't been there myself!!! )

Been to Helen a number of times...it is a nice drive from Alpharetta (the suburb we live in). A nice drive, that is, unless it is for Octoberfest. The traffic in terrible!:D Won't be doing that again.

Take care,

Jack

This picture was taken coming into Sorrento. It was a gorgeous seaside town and Jill now wants to move here. Howver, our guide tells us that a 120 - 130 square foot flat sells for around 300,000 Euros.

2111465220106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The town was filled with small narrow streets and lots and lots of shopping. Mind you, this is not to be taken as a reflection on our buying impulses, but after shopping here we can no longer afford to buy a flat here.

2264482660106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

It seems nearly every other store was selling Limoncello. Some stores actually had a factory set up in the back of the store where they were making it! And every one wanted you to sample their Limoncello. I am surprised we were able to later find the car. Now that I think about it, that may also account for our shopping spree!:eek:

2445947360106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

A last shot of the harbor at Sorrento as we continue our drive towards our next stop -Positano.

2534516860106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Sailor Jack -

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews. My husband always calls to ask what I am laughing at. You have a great talent for writing that is both informative and entertaining. I hope to have the opportunity of sailing with you some day.

Carolyn

I read your first review just before we left on our Baltic Cruise. It made me laugh and look forward to our trip and try to see things from your perspective - with a lot of humor and patience and good will.

Now we have just put our deposit down for the Aegean/Egyptian cruise for May 2011 which is similar to the one you just reviewed above. Once again you had me laughing!! I can't wait for the day we board the Star again. Don't know if I'll be walking like an Egyptian or hearing the Sirens call us in the dark, but I will be thinking of your review and smiling all the while. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us, if not educate us.:D

I read your first review just before we left on our Baltic Cruise. It made me laugh and look forward to our trip and try to see things from your perspective - with a lot of humor and patience and good will.

Now we have just put our deposit down for the Aegean/Egyptian cruise for May 2011 which is similar to the one you just reviewed above. Once again you had me laughing!! I can't wait for the day we board the Star again. Don't know if I'll be walking like an Egyptian or hearing the Sirens call us in the dark, but I will be thinking of your review and smiling all the while. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us, if not educate us.:D

Maybe we will pass (to paraphrase Longfellow) like two ships in the night. We are looking at doing another Med cruise in May. We don't want to duplicate the last cruise, but are looking for one that will hit slightly different ports. But who knows, we could be in the same port at some time.

Enjoy your cruise, it is a great itinerary!:)

Sailor Jack -

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews. My husband always calls to ask what I am laughing at. You have a great talent for writing that is both informative and entertaining. I hope to have the opportunity of sailing with you some day.

Carolyn

Glad you enjoyed it! Look forward to sailing with you.:)

Jack

Orchidmom, you should join our roll call over at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1171540 !

Pictures of the very picturesque seaside village of Positano on the Amalfi coast.

2230742880106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The villas and shops are built into the cliffs all the way down to the small secluded beaches.

2953608540106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This shot was taken from near the bottom of the village and looks up at the cliffs that dominate Positano.

2155783350106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Positano has a thriving art market. This is a gallery on the main street.

2226173090106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

thanks for such a great review I had to read a few lines out to my honey and he was actually paying attention and laughing considering he is watching a hockey game with the Canucks and the Leafs playing. Trust me it is hard to tear him away from a game.

We love the Star...

Vickie from Coquitlam B.C.

Thanks for the pics of Pompeii. Heart-wenching indeed.

I'm now most excited about the Amalfi Coast. We'll be taking the ship's tour which incldue the wine- and cheese-tasting. Will heed your warning re. the limoncello. :)

Where is the best place to shop in Italy - Rome or Sorrento? Cheers!

thanks for such a great review I had to read a few lines out to my honey and he was actually paying attention and laughing considering he is watching a hockey game with the Canucks and the Leafs playing. Trust me it is hard to tear him away from a game.

We love the Star...

Vickie from Coquitlam B.C.

Glad you enjoyed it! Being from Vancouver myself, I can certainly understand your husband's (honey?) reluctance to turn his attention away from the Canucks - especially when playing the terrible Maple Leafs!:eek:

Thanks for the pics of Pompeii. Heart-wenching indeed.

I'm now most excited about the Amalfi Coast. We'll be taking the ship's tour which incldue the wine- and cheese-tasting. Will heed your warning re. the limoncello. :)

Where is the best place to shop in Italy - Rome or Sorrento? Cheers!

We actually found the best shopping in Sorrento. The shops were all close together and the atmosphere was most conducive to empying out your wallet.:) There is greater variety in Rome, of course, but I guess it all depends on what you are shopping for.

We have had Limoncello here in the states, but I am sure the stuff in Sorrento was much stronger. Enjoy!:)

I have a couple more pictures from Amalfi that I will try to post later today and that will empy out by card.

Archived