Which line is best for partial transit?

Been There, Planning That

For a family celebration we're considering a partial transit from the eastern end. Which line/s would you recommend that would offer the best canal experience?

The canal experience in this case would take precedence over the choice of cruise line.

Ten days would be the absolute maximum cruise length.

I posted this question on a Princess thread about the canal but realize I might do better on this one.

Thanks experts,

Ruth

If a partial transit you need to go on the tour through the canal to get the full experience .... so any ship will probably use the same tour company.

Pick a ship that works for you the rest of the cruise

Ruth, we did the Island Princess partial tour of the Panama Canal in April. As Richard says, having a pre-transit information lecture and commentary during the transit are an important factor to consider in choosing your cruise line. (In fact, I can't believe that some cruises through the Canal don't have these!) On our cruise, Lawrence Rudner provided an excellent pre-transit lecture and was on the bridge bright and early during the transit to give commentary. It certainly added to our enjoyment of the cruise and our appreciation of the marvel that is the Panama Canal.

Have you checked Coral Princess? She has a full transit itinerary that is only 10 days. Starts or finishes in Acapulco.. and starts or finishes in Ft. Lauderdale. I can only take 10 days off of work and really want the full transit experience so we booked this for April 24th. Airfare is a bit high because it's flying to Acapulco then home from Ft. Lauderdale. But I can't take 2 weeks off work to do a full transit so this will have to do.

Lvs2Cruise2, the airfare for your suggestion would simply be too much for our family flying in from Ontario. Great that the cruise will fit your holiday allowances.

GradUT, I gather from other threads that the lectures during transit can make or break any line choice.

From what I'm reading, Princess seems to have the corner on partial transits.

Thanks,

Ruth

LHT28, given our shared geography, your advice will be checked.

Thanks for an option I hadn't considered.

Compare airline prices against the cruise lines air options sometimes it works out cheaper to use the cruise line

You can also ask about flying in a day early (deviation fee will apply)

we have the time so doing a full transit in Feb

Good luck

Lyn

Note that next season, 2011, the Princess partial is Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale, the full transit is Ft. Lauderdale to SF(?) and reverse. Acapulco seems to be off the menu.

As I think I mentioned on the Princess forum, I would first find lines that operate the itinerary in a time frame that works for you. Not all of them do a partial transit.

Right now I see only full transits on Royal, Norwegian and Holland America and Carnival (things can always change). Most of these are 14 days and longer. Celebrity has a 13 day full transit.

So, as of today, Princess is the ONLY option I can find among the mass market lines for a 10 day or less jaunt, but schedules can change.

We're LONG range planners, need to be to get four families to coordinate holidays, so time is on our side.

What months were you planning to cruise?

Looks like the short full transit is only up to April 2011 then most lines will be doing partial transits with a few 13 day + full transits

So maybe back to Plan A for you with a partial

enjoy what ever one you choose

Lyn

Lyn,

We're going to have to work around school exams, holidays and working schedules. I'm doing preliminary research at this point. I'm maintaining a cut and paste file of all the info I've gleaned.

Ruth

You have your work cut out for you :D

Hope you find a cruise that works for everyone

Lyn

Have a look at HAL's partial transit on the Zuiderdam. It's a great ship, but I have never done this cruise. 10 day round trip from Ft. Lauderdale-- October through April. It's listed under southern Caribbean rather than Panama cruises.

I would suggest checking the roll call for your cruise.

As far as the Canal itself, your only option to get off the ship in gatun Lake is a Princess tour, so check your cruise personalizer when avail.

We are booked for Coral Princess 3-15 to 3-25-2011. Any tips on tours, etc. Thanks.

Most partial transits of the Canal, including the one you are looking at out of FLL operate in this fashion. Your ship will arrive at the Atlantic entrance of the Canal about 5-5:30AM and pick up the Canal pilots. The ship will proceed down the approach channel towards Gatun Locks, usually arriving around 7:AM, this and all other times are fairly flexible. Gatun Locks is a 3 step locks that will raise your ship to the level of Gatun Lake. Once the ship has cleared the Locks, about 9:AM, it will proceed to anchor. At this point passengers who have booked tours will tender off the ship to meet their tours. Those passengers electing to stay on the ship will lock back down through Gatun Locks, sail down the approach channel and the proceed to the piers in Colon. This is where the touring passengers will rejoin the ship. Arrival in Colon is about 3-5:PM.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in the Panama experience, but if you are looking to see more of the Canal there is a great tour you can select. Different cruise lines call it different names, but it is the same tour. The tour is a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. IMO this part of the Canal has more visual appeal, not only will you get to see some of the country side on your bus ride to the Pacific side, it is also great to be able to view the Canal oprerations from a smaller vessel. Gives you a completely different perspective from that of your large Panamax ship. There are two locks on the Pacific side that you will pass thorugh and the Gaillard Cut. Gaillard Cut is where the bulk of all the excavation took place in the construction of the Canal. There are also two very impressive bridges that you will sail under and you will get an up close look at the Canal expansion program.

In the event your morning passage through Gatun Locks satisfies your Canal interests, there are a number of other historical or sightseeing tours you can take. There is also the option of staying on the ship for the return lockage through Gatun. It is a lot easier at this time to get a good vantage point to see the process. Whatever you choose, it's a great cruise!

Tony, as a retired teacher I love those Youtube presentations. What a GRAND resource for me to inflict on the wondergrands.

Last May we did a family celebration with a cruise to Alaska and believe me the children were well prepared; though at one point on the final sea day the three year old sobbed, `But I didn`t see Alaska`. Not sure what he anticipated, but it sure wasn`t what he experienced. But he`ll be older for the Panama trip and maybe better able to understand maps and distances. And those locks will provide a more tangible experience.

We have the local Rideau Canal as a beginning resource to study. Most have skated along sections but none have actually been through the locks.

Ruth

We have the local Rideau Canal as a beginning resource to study. Most have skated along sections but none have actually been through the locks.

The Panama Canal lock experience is interesting, but there are locks in canals all over the world. What makes Panama special is that it is linking the two great oceans, its history and when and how it was built, and its role in world commerce today making Panama the crossroads of the world. The experience is exciting, don't get me wrong, but it is necessary to put that experience in the context of the history and role of the Canal.

It is an amazing experience and one which you will definitely enjoy!

Regards, Richard

Ruth

If you want a good llock experience take them to Peterborough in the summer and do a day cruise. It is not like the Panama locks :D

Hope they are afraid of heights

Lyn

Archived