A few questions regarding AA VS PG!

K3nn7

Hello fellow Cunarders!

I am about to book a wb crossing next november. I sent an e-mail to my travel agency with requests for prices in AA and PG staterooms, and got a reply that lands at about a 1000USD difference (as a single traveller). Do you think this will be worth it?

I also wonder how much different PG will be to QG (was in a Q7 last year). I dont think i will miss the in-cabin bar setup too much, neither the buttler. Is there much difference in the dining room clientele? Will i still have a fridge in the stateroom?

Might have more questions as this thread (hopefully) revolves :)

I can't speak to PG, but can tell you about AA. The rooms are the same as A, but they are all located on deck 12 and I think all have unobstructed balconies. In the dining room, you eat at whatever time you wish, but always at the same table with same wait staff. The dinner menu has at least a couple more special entrees than the main dining room, and I read in another post 2 less specials than you see in PG. QG has even more dinner specials than PG. AA does not have a reserved lounge area, only a reserved restaurant.

If you aren't going to miss the butler and bar, then I think you'll be happy in the Brittania Club Dining Room. It's small and the people in the tables for 2 that are lined up together tend to chat with each other a lot. There are larger tables as well.

My experiences have been primarily on QM2. There, both AA/Britannia Club and PG are very nice, and like QG are "single seating" -- so you may go to your table for breakfast, lunch and dinner, whenever you like within the start and end times for the meal. Same dining staff throughout the trip.

PG dining is not dissimilar to QG, (the rooms are almost mirror images, with QG lamps in "gold" while PG are in "silver"), but without quite so much emphasis on special requests and nightly caviar(available). Otherwise menus are quite similar, and with a bit more variety than AA. Both these restaurants share the same smaller kitchen, so food often seems to come faster and hotter than in B or AA on 3.The PG rooms are larger than AA, QG larger than PG. PG and QG both share the same (Queens) Grill Lounge and Deck area. Neither of these is available to AA, but there are so many alternatives aboard this is not a problem. If, however, having experienced QG on your last trip, you especially liked the lounge or the special deck area, you will know best how much you would miss that.

All three (AA, PG and QG) are invited to the same welcoming cocktail party.

Hope you have a wonderful voyage, whichever you decide to choose!

Jane :)

I can only compare PG on QE2 with AA on QM2.

The only differences that I know of that have not been mentioned are the location of the restaurants and the off menu options.

In AA it is very difficult to go 'off menu'. It takes a lot of persuasion and the results are mixed. For example in PG I had a whole lobster whereas on AA I only got half a lobster. Also the Petit fours did not really exist and it took a lot of effort for the waiters to find a box of squashed After Eight mints to provide instead whereas in PG there was a large selection to choose from.

However, the views out of the windows of the AA are much bettern than in PG (and I did pop into the PG on QM2 when there was no one present). In AA with it being so small and low down in the ship you will have a good view of the sea. In PG (on QM2) it is on Deck 7 and you have the wonderful view (not) of people walking past and looking it or the struts of the secondary structure on the other side of the promanade to look through before seeing the sea. Also with the PG restaurant being that much larger there is a chance that you will be some distance from the windows. So the views will not be good from PG.

The stateroom is, of course, 2 decks higher than for PG. So the views will be better.

You mention that you are on a WB crossing, so you will probably not be that interested in the views from your stateroom balcony or even the restaurant. However, I think that AA is good value for money and that on QM2 PG is not worth the $1,000 difference. Of course, there is a chance that you will get upgraded to PG for free!

The above is unlikely to apply to QE because the Grill arrangements on the QE and QV seem to be much better than on QM2. Obviously there is no AA on QV.

I am about to book a wb crossing next november. I sent an e-mail to my travel agency with requests for prices in AA and PG staterooms, and got a reply that lands at about a 1000USD difference (as a single traveller). Do you think this will be worth it?

Absolutely. I think you would be mad to pass it up.

I also wonder how much different PG will be to QG (was in a Q7 last year). I dont think i will miss the in-cabin bar setup too much, neither the buttler. Is there much difference in the dining room clientele

If butler and in-cabin bar setup are not deal breakers for you than you will love the Princess Grill.

PG guests have access to the Queens Grill lounge, the Grill concierge and the Grills deck. So basically all the great amenities for much less. We found the PG clientele to be friendly, interesting, educated and fun.

Will i still have a fridge in the stateroom?

Yes.

Thanks for all advices! I decided to go for PG. However, my travel agent adviced me that the crossing i wanted to go on was fully booked (i guess that is in PG atleast). Waitlist, here i come :(

Thanks for all advices! I decided to go for PG. However, my travel agent adviced me that the crossing i wanted to go on was fully booked (i guess that is in PG atleast). Waitlist, here i come :(

The 10 Nov 2011 wb crossing?

PG is wide open.

Hello fellow Cunarders!

I also wonder how much different PG will be to QG (was in a Q7 last year). I dont think i will miss the in-cabin bar setup too much, neither the buttler. Is there much difference in the dining room clientele? Will i still have a fridge in the stateroom?

Might have more questions as this thread (hopefully) revolves :)

You really sure you don't want a Cat B4 midship cabin for a TA in November? Since you wrote that you won't miss the bar set-up, or the butler, why not book a lower deck midship cabin with an in-hull balcony you just might have the opportunity to use? You'll still have a fridge, AND you'll have the company of some very nice people in the Britannia dining room.

Oh wait...sorry, you are concerned about the difference in the dining room clientele between PG and QG. Interesting question. While I have nothing to offer in response, I am eagerly awaiting the responses your question generates.

Oh wait...sorry, you are concerned about the difference in the dining room clientele between PG and QG. Interesting question. While I have nothing to offer in response, I am eagerly awaiting the responses your question generates.

Cue for another rendition of Gari's poem about the wizened old crones who are said to inhabit the QG restaurant and lounge.

The OP is quite right to be concerned about the quality of the diners in Britannia as opposed to those superior beings in the rarified atmosphere of PG and QG. I have noticed that those in steerage slurp their soup, cut their rolls and talk to each other at the table. It just won't do. If you can afford it and to paraphrase a western movie line, "Head for the grills". But a note of caution using the same paraphrasing, "They're old in them there grills". :-)

Whenever I was in the Queens Grill Lounge I could not distinguish between the Princess and Queens Grill guests.

And they didn't appear to be as old as some have tried to make out! :D

I agree, the PG on our crossing certainly didn't resemble a retirement village. There was quite a broad age group from the mid-thirties up.

Maybe crossings attract a younger crowd?

I think i must clarify a few things here. First of all, reason i'm asking for the clientele difference is because i found the QG seemed a bit more into discussing financial interests than what was amusing. Even so, i felt very welcome on my table as a lonely crosser with two couples atleast double my age :) I'm not gonna bore you with my profession, but i'm a very down-to-earth man, probably not your average stereotype QG/PG traveller.

I wouldnt hesitate to travel in QG again if the price is right, neither in PG, AA or the rest of Britannia for that matter. I also prefer not to have a set dining time. One of other the things i really enjoyed with QG, was the lounge in the immediate sorroundings of the dining rooms, and thats one of the reasons i wanted to try PG too.

You guys tought there is only old people in QG/PG? I was 24 when i crossed last year :P

I think you might find that it was humour!!! :eek:

But then again, some people might see me like an old fashioned guy :P My TA had to ask for my age twice because he didnt believe me :D

The 10 Nov 2011 wb crossing?

PG is wide open.

Your'e right, i also found it weird. Could it be that it was the discounted cabins that was sold out? Is there availability in all three PG categories? How is the availability in AA? Lots of questions there, sorry ;)

I agree, the PG on our crossing certainly didn't resemble a retirement village. There was quite a broad age group from the mid-thirties up.

Maybe crossings attract a younger crowd?

The crossings would attract quite a lot of working-age people as a short trip would fit their work schedule. But the longer cruises, especially the World Cruise attract mainly retired people. On the World Cruise, the Grill passengers would not be any older than the other passengers.

Frankly, 99% of the passengers on the World Cruise are old - (but not that there is anything wrong with that).

But then again, some people might see me like an old fashioned guy :P My TA had to ask for my age twice because he didnt believe me :D

Your'e right, i also found it weird. Could it be that it was the discounted cabins that was sold out? Is there availability in all three PG categories? How is the availability in AA? Lots of questions there, sorry ;)

Availability is good if you are looking at the Nov 10, 2011 crossing.

I think the issue here is that you were miss-quoted.

Whenever I was in the Queens Grill Lounge I could not distinguish between the Princess and Queens Grill guests.

What? There must be something wrong with that system!:eek:

In Steerage, we wear a large letter designating our cabin category. Just so the A1's can steer clear of the D8's. (What bloddynonsense!)

What? There must be something wrong with that system!:eek:

In Steerage, we wear a large letter designating our cabin category. Just so the A1's can steer clear of the D8's. (What bloddynonsense!)

What??? You mean you guys actually interact? :eek: When in QG, i never interacted with anyone lower than PG... (thank god for the grills lounge :D). On another note, i sent my T.A another mail this morning asking him to recheck availability. Crossing my fingers now :)

What??? You mean you guys actually interact? :eek: When in QG, i never interacted with anyone lower than PG... (thank god for the grills lounge :D). On another note, i sent my T.A another mail this morning asking him to recheck availability. Crossing my fingers now :)

K3...Yes, those of us in steerage do interact to a semi-modest degree. Rumour has it that unabashed laughter has been heard from tables in Britannia.:eek:

Glad to hear you don't interact with anyone lower than PG.

Happy sails to you,

Salacia

Archived