Raw Deal for Aussies

Johncol

Thanks Jo. Yes I am flying into Sydney and even though I spent eons planning I didn't think about the airport layout. It was after booking that I checked out a map of the airport. I have 2 hrs. I could take the early, early flight and that would give me 6hrs (the only other option) and I really don't want to spend all that time at the airport. I was wondering if I can walk there fast or even take a cab if I can't get on the bus. Do you know exactly how far it is between terminals?

I really can't answer this question sorry. As we've always flown Qantas, we checked our bags in Perth and collected them in LA. We got off the plane at T2 and walked to the Qantas shuttle that took us to the International terminal.

I think you said you were flying United? Just ask if you can check your bags through to LA (?) when you check in for your domestic flight. That will save time waiting for your bags and having to drag them across to the International terminal. We fly Continental within the US and they check my bags from Houston - LA - Brisbane - Mackay and Qantas do it in reverse when I check in at Mackay. Unless you are on Virgin Blue or Jetstar. I'm not sure if they would do that or not. Maybe someone else might have that info.

Here is a link that might help with the transfer between terminals.

Jo

Jetstar to international on Qantas could be a huge problem as I discovered last month. Despite the relationship of the companies, their baggage agreement doesn't cover domestic to international even though it does the reverse.

I don't have to worry about bags as we are only taking carry ons. Yep, carry ons for a 12 day cruise and 5 days in Port douglas. Unless Jetstar makes us check them for some reason then we won't have to wait for bags and I just found out that the train takes 2 minutes between terminals. I am flying United. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there isn't a huge back up in security. Thank you all so much for the info.

I don't have to worry about bags as we are only taking carry ons. Yep, carry ons for a 12 day cruise and 5 days in Port douglas. Unless Jetstar makes us check them for some reason then we won't have to wait for bags and I just found out that the train takes 2 minutes between terminals. I am flying United. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there isn't a huge back up in security. Thank you all so much for the info.

Gosh you pack light! Are you aware that carry on in Australia including Jetstar is much less than USA & is limited to ONE small bag max 7kg each? I often do just carry on but never for 17 days. Wish I could be as frugal. I just bought a bigger suitcase for my upcoming cruise :(

Another problem might be if Jetstar are running late and even with no luggage to wait for you would have to be booked in for your International flight usually 90 minutes beforehand (although I couldn't be certain being United)

Gosh you pack light! Are you aware that carry on in Australia including Jetstar is much less than USA & is limited to ONE small bag max 7kg each? I often do just carry on but never for 17 days. Wish I could be as frugal. I just bought a bigger suitcase for my upcoming cruise :(

Another problem might be if Jetstar are running late and even with no luggage to wait for you would have to be booked in for your International flight usually 90 minutes beforehand (although I couldn't be certain being United)

Yes I am aware that I might have to check it in on Jetstar. I will check in on line for my flights but still thinking maybe I should change the flight to a day earlier and spend the night in sydney. I've never cut it this close before.

It's amazing what you can put in a carry on.

oh and I did read somewhere here that there are 2x cruise companies that will allow OS travellers to receive the heavily discounted prices!

Which ones are they? I'd love to know incase I get the cruising bug.

Another ex CQer here also. I travel quite often to Mackay to spoil the grandchild :)

*waves to the Cq'ers* LOL, I'll see what I can dig up, I did see it plastered on the "ask a cruise question" area a whilst ago!

Oh and to lais!!! LMAO re you and the carry on stuff! We just did NZ 8 days / 7 nights with carry on. They didn't weigh my handbag or hub's back pack (thank goodness!!) Also I had a wind breaker coat with LARGE zippered pockets, and let me tell you on the way home I felt like a shoplifter as I had all the souvenirs stuffed into them!!!! Don't know what we would have done if they'd weighted that coat on the way home :D !!!!

BUT the carry on luggage was 9.6 & 9.8 or there abouts ;) and that's what counts!

:)

Celebrity

Costa Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

MSC Cruises

Oceania Cruises

Princess

Royal Caribbean

Star Clippers

the above are the ones you can't get the discounts - so I guess if the cruise company isn't one of the above, then you should be OK :) (This is a copy n paste from a large on line TA who are very upfront about their inability to sell the discounted fares to OS clients)

They go on to to say: This is not a *name of online TA* policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines......... ...........We are able to offer the deeply discounted U.S. rates of the other cruise lines we represent to citizens of other countries, and have provided tips and guidelines to consider before you book a cruise on one of those cruise lines.

[quote name=Cruisin_on_th_net;26949186

Oh and to lais!!! LMAO re you and the carry on stuff! We just did NZ 8 days / 7 nights with carry on. They didn't weigh my handbag or hub's back pack (thank goodness!!) Also I had a wind breaker coat with LARGE zippered pockets' date=' and let me tell you on the way home I felt like a shoplifter as I had all the souvenirs stuffed into them!!!! Don't know what we would have done if they'd weighted that coat on the way home :D !!!!

BUT the carry on luggage was 9.6 & 9.8 or there abouts ;) and that's what counts!

:)[/quote]

Ha ha! Funny but what a great Idea with the large zippered pockets. Luckily I only shop for Refridgerator magnets.

What is 9.6 & 9.8?

sorry lais

9.6 & 9.8 that was the weight of the bags. both quoting kg, when they had a limit of 10kg! so 9.8kg and 9.6kg snuck in!!!!

Fridge magnets! YUP had a few of those too! Sure they looked impressive in the xray scanner!!!!

ok, 9.6kg = 21 pounds. Is that the total weight for one bag or for a carry on and a purse full of junk. (total weight of both bags)

My refridgerator is looking pretty junky with all of the magnets.

lais. sorry to not be clear. (it all makes perfect sense in MY head LOL!!!!)

those weights were for the "carry on luggage" only, my handbag and hubs' back pack were NOT weighed. *breathes another sigh of relief*

I had the lighter one and he had the heavier one. By carry on I mean those little mini suitcases with wheels and pop up handles that you wheel into the seating /o/head compartments in the cabin.

We wore our heavy shoes, and heavy clothes jeans/ tops. The layered look is very flattering you know!!! ;)

Hope that helps :)

We wore our heavy shoes, and heavy clothes jeans/ tops. The layered look is very flattering you know!!! ;)

Hope that helps :)

I don't think I'll have anything heavy as we will be there when it's 100 degrees. And, after I get off my cruise I'm going to throw away a couple of things to make room for the refridgerator magnets. My Black slacks I wear to dinner every night on the cruise have been halfway around the world (4 cruises) and Sydney will be a great resting place for them. Plus the goofy dress up shoes. Wish I could just wear my flops on dress up night.

Plus the goofy dress up shoes. Wish I could just wear my flops on dress up night.

I agree with that one :D My husband and I live in shorts and t-shirts/polo shirts and thongs (flip flops) most of the time incuding on cruises. We often just eat at the buffet so we don't have to dress for dinner.

Jo

Here is a story from Yesterdays Courier Mail on US Travel Agents and Flight Centre wanting to keep it's sales.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/money-matters/holidaymakers-who-buy-discount-cruise-tickets-online-may-be-denied-entry-says-accc/story-fn3hskur-1225961671477

Thanks for sharing. At least it's getting some publicity now.

I seriously doubt the cruiselines could stop people from boarding. They'd be begging for a lawsuit and a lot of media interest / bad publicity.

I was dismayed at the difference in Aussie cruise prices and now even more perplexed to find a $1000 priced piece of medical equipment that can only be purchased through the manufacturers web sites is twice the cost in Australia as in the US. Given the $ parity I can't see WHY we are paying through the nose for everything including cruises!!!!!!

I was dismayed at the difference in Aussie cruise prices and now even more perplexed to find a $1000 priced piece of medical equipment that can only be purchased through the manufacturers web sites is twice the cost in Australia as in the US. Given the $ parity I can't see WHY we are paying through the nose for everything including cruises!!!!!!

Its quite simple really.

The overseas companies dont want to to work with all the local agents down here, as well as all the local agents in the States, so they appoint, Representatives, Wholesalers, call them what you like,

and each one along the line

clips the ticket....

I have posted before, but we enquired about one cruise that went through 5 hands before it reached the cruise line.

Needless to say we did not accept the deal on that cruise.

I haven't seen the lines claim they would stop people boarding.

It seems to be more Chinese whispers that exaggerate the situation - even the Flight Centre rep just referred to generic "problems".

It was in the title and the first paragraph but I think it was to be attention grabbing because they don't talk about it later in the article.

Its quite simple really.

The overseas companies dont want to to work with all the local agents down here, as well as all the local agents in the States, so they appoint, Representatives, Wholesalers, call them what you like,

and each one along the line

clips the ticket....

I have posted before, but we enquired about one cruise that went through 5 hands before it reached the cruise line.

Needless to say we did not accept the deal on that cruise.

When a US agent books a cruise, on say Princess, they go to a site called One Source and using an engine called Polar book the cruise directly with Princess (same for Holland and Cunard) there is no one else involved in the transaction. I do know that there is a site for Aussie agents that is the same except for an "au" stuck in the URL. (If I were to try to sign in from an Aussie ISP that is where I would be sent-been there done that). this leads me to believe that there is no mark up middle man involved. In the US a cruiser makes payment by credit card and the charge is shown as Princess Cruise Line (or whichever) The only time the agent gets their money up front is when the client pays by cash or check(que ;))

So look at your past payments and see if the cruise line got direct payment. In that case it is as I suspect the cruise line policy that is causing you your high rates not some blood sucking middle man.

What I say holds true even though you might consider a transaction from a home based agent going through three sets of hands, Mine, my host agency and the cruise line. In truth the agent books on your behalf directly with the line. The business arrangements do not affect your transaction they only affect the payment of the commission which goes cruise line to host to agent. And yes there are cuts there but again they do not affect the cruise line passenger.

Archived