Emailing home from the Summit?

cruzaddict

If I want to email my neighbor while on the Summit,does he need to know the ship's email address,or can I just email him and have him reply to my email?Also,is there somewhere that I can find the phone number to the ship in case someone needs to contact me in an emergency?

If you can check your e-mail from any computer (such as yahoo or aol) you can just use your e-mail and log into the computers availalble on ship. You can write and read e-mail off line, then log on and send/receive for $.75/minute.

Friends or family can reach you 24 hours a day via Celebrity's Satellite Service. Before you depart for your cruise, leave the following number with anyone wanting to reach you: 877-266-1020.

Direct faxes can also be made from shore to ship by dialing one of the following numbers:

Ship Prefix Fax Number(s)

Century 011.874* 331.147.912 or 917

Constellation 011.874* 331.148.512 or 516

Galaxy 011.874* 331.122.533 or 538

Horizon 011.874* 173.5231

Infinity 011.874* 331.144.616 or 612

Mercury 011.870* 335.151.712 or 722

Millennium 011.874* 331.144.512 or 516

Summit 011.874* 331.018.416 or 412

Zenith 011.874* 173.5226

cfprunner: thank you so much for the information! So basically,I have a yahoo account here at home,so I can just log in with my yahoo name and password from the ship and send an email right? So if I send an email it will be .75 a minute to send,and I will also be charged when I get a reply from the email?

You can also use the Celebrity@Sea email account that they give you. The address will be firstnamelastname@summit.celebrityatsea.com and it costs you $2 for every message you send and receive. [if you send a message to more than one address, it's another $2 each recipient]

The advantage over Yahoo or similar is that you can read the message and compose your reply at your leisure without the minutes ticking by at $0.75/each. They also leave you a voicemail in your room whan a message comes in.

that one sounds better.......so it's a flat fee of $2.00? will that email address be given to me when I get my cruise docs?
Right, $2 per message received (up to 100 kilobytes, $1 more for each additional 100K) and $2 per address for each message you send. The same charge for +100K messages also applies.

Your address will be listed in your docs; as I said in my first reply, it will take the form yourname@summit.celebrityatsea.com

Mferranti,

Thanks for the hints!! We've always used the per minute charges in the computer lounge, and by logging into my own e-mail account can keep the SPAM at bay. Ha, ha.

But the celebrity@sea account does sound intriguing. If I'm reading you right, we can compose e-mails in the computer lounge (or stateroom if we have our own equip) and pay only the $2 per message charge. Does sound like a good deal.

We'll be off on Infinity through the Canal in 69 days. Can't wait!!

CM

Mferranti,

But the celebrity@sea account does sound intriguing. If I'm reading you right, we can compose e-mails in the computer lounge (or stateroom if we have our own equip) and pay only the $2 per message charge. Does sound like a good deal. CM

I have to tell you, the $2 per message is generally NOT the best way to go. Here is why.

1. With the .75 per minute option, you can hop on get your mail and log off while you read and reply, then hop back on and send. Estimated cost to read and send 2-10 emails: $1.50 to $3.00.

2. When you send mail via the yourname@summit.celebrityatsea.com ($2 each) you are likely to get a reply--something like: 'Glad to hear you are having a good time. Take care.' or 'thanks'. These cost $2 each. To send 2 messages (with 2 meaningless replies) you can spend $8.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a non-techy email user. In the past, I've always purchased a minutes package from the cruiseline, read, responded to, and deleted emails all while watching my minutes tick away. Now, if I'm understanding correctly, I could save a lot of those precious minutes by reading and composing my replies off-line. And I do this how?

Judy

I'm a non-techy email user. In the past, I've always purchased a minutes package from the cruiseline, read, responded to, and deleted emails all while watching my minutes tick away. Now, if I'm understanding correctly, I could save a lot of those precious minutes by reading and composing my replies off-line. And I do this how?

Judy

Hi Judy, Were you on the connie last Feb?

If I recall correctly, there is an icon for connect, disconnect. If you open your mail, then click disconnect, you can read the message. While disconnected, type a reply using any program like MS Word or even notepad. Copy the text of your message--then connect--and paste the reply, hit send the disconnect. 2 minutes, tops.

Are you guys talking about all this copying and pasting in Word or notepad on the Ship's computer? Or on your own?
You can use Word, Wordpad or Notepad while OFFLINE (no charge) on the ship's computer. Then, you log into to the "pay for play" internet area on their computer, and get to your webmail account on the internet, and paste it all into your messages quickly, send them, and log out of the online area to shut off the per-minute billing.

Even if you have a notebook with you, there are no drives on the Internet Cafe machines that would allow you to move any text you might have created from your own machine to theirs. That's why you would compose your outbound messages on the Cafe machine and not your own.

OK~ Forgive me but I just need to clarify 1 point. I have Yahoo, so if I understand you correctly, I log onto my own acct and check my email, select one to read, log off, read it, compose an answer, log back on and send, log off again? Then repeat the process with each additional email?

Thank for the info!

I have to tell you, the $2 per message is generally NOT the best way to go. Here is why.

1. With the .75 per minute option, you can hop on get your mail and log off while you read and reply, then hop back on and send. Estimated cost to read and send 2-10 emails: $1.50 to $3.00.

2. When you send mail via the yourname@summit.celebrityatsea.com ($2 each) you are likely to get a reply--something like: 'Glad to hear you are having a good time. Take care.' or 'thanks'. These cost $2 each. To send 2 messages (with 2 meaningless replies) you can spend $8.

OK~ Forgive me but I just need to clarify 1 point. I have Yahoo, so if I understand you correctly, I log onto my own acct and check my email, select one to read, log off, read it, compose an answer, log back on and send, log off again? Then repeat the process with each additional email?

Thank for the info!

No, for efficiency's sake I'd read them all in one pop (you can also copy the text from those messages and paste them to a file -- if you weren't already aware, CTRL-C copies text that you've highlighted with your mouse or keyboard from just about anywhere, and CTRL-V pastes it to an open Word or other window), log out of the "pay" area, and then compose all of your replies. Then log back into the "pay" area, get to your web mail account, and paste your replies back into new messages and send them back as fast as you can before logging out of that area again.

Canderson,

Thanks so much for the information! I get about 100 emails per day (most are for work though) and this will allow me to minimize my time on line and just pick out the ones I know I HAVE to respond to.

No, for efficiency's sake I'd read them all in one pop (you can also copy the text from those messages and paste them to a file -- if you weren't already aware, CTRL-C copies text that you've highlighted with your mouse or keyboard from just about anywhere, and CTRL-V pastes it to an open Word or other window), log out of the "pay" area, and then compose all of your replies. Then log back into the "pay" area, get to your web mail account, and paste your replies back into new messages and send them back as fast as you can before logging out of that area again.

Canderson,

Thanks so much for the information! I get about 100 emails per day (most are for work though) and this will allow me to minimize my time on line and just pick out the ones I know I HAVE to respond to.

I know there's the possibility that you're self-employed -- but if NOT, and it's all that critical to be doing business email during your cruise, I'd be presenting your employer with the bill at standard 75 cents/minute rate and not going through the extra brain damage.

Archived