Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

editor@cruisecritic

Will you cruise after Ocean Village?

We did 2 OV cruises and this is where we go the bug and yet I am to find a cabin with as good as wardrobe and drawer space as the ocean view cabins on OV. Oh and a shower that takes 2 live OV

However saying that - we have sailed: 2 RCL ships, 3 Thomsons, 4 NCL ships and Celebrity once, since and they all have different good things and bad things about them.

Thomsons come closest on atmosphere and fun - the staff work so hard on the celebration but is a smaller and older ship. NCL comes closest on experience and class and this is my favourite.

Have to share this - I contacted carnival and asked them, as they did a loyalty programme, would they be giving OV users some points to tempt them onto Carnival ships and the respondent told me that OV had never been part of carnival (they were from the USA). I copied and pasted them the carnival website with the logos on to show them I knew more about carnival than they obviously did!! Hence the answer to loyalty was no.

so we booked another NCL cruise

Yep, I think my next cruise will be a NCL one again.. May have to wait until 2013 for the breakaway ships and no single supplement! :)

Good try though Tigger :-)

We are lumbered with Ventura - beatiful ship - way too big - so not personal at all .

Awful buffet -

Good restuarants with fancy Nouvelle cuisine type foods - you need a couple of them if you were hungary though.

Dining takes nigh on most of the evening so if you want to see a show use the buffet

More seas days Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Same ports as OV - and most of other ships

Have cruised the Med out now seen it all and Carribbean - but there are still some lovely islands to see more of.

Not intestest in sailing on any non Sterling ship . Thomspons seem to have overcome its watchDog failures -- but still not a ship that i fancy :-(

Unless of course there was an OV 3 and would be on it like a shot

We did 5 OV sailings, the first was a 1 week Med, then 1 week Caribbean, then 2 week Caribbean, then east bound t/a, then a repo from Southampton following the refit, all on OV1. Truth told we'd already moved on before OV departed purely because they ran out of itineraries we wanted to go on: its such a shame that they didn't continue with Jamaica cruises because they came and went before we had a chance to book.

There are still things we look back fondly on, from the mega-friendly crew, to the big spacious staterooms, to Plantations being open 24 hours a day and with great curries.

Since OV we've sailed NCL, Royal Caribbean and Disney. Of those, Disney is our favourite although v different, NCL is ok and RCCL we didn't like at all. It's a shame that none of these offer a comparable product because there are still plenty of "people who don't do cruises" out there. Still, it was a shame to see the demise of Ship Happens too, maybe all good things must come to an end.

We loved OV.

We did the 14 night Western Med cruise twice & the 14 night Eastern Med cruise twice in consecutive years & saw different things each time even though the ports were predominantly the same.

We loved that the itinerary was repeated thoughout the season, so we could choose when to go, rather than having to go when the itinerary appealed.

We're trying Grand Princess next month but fear it won't live up to OV

We loved OV.

We did the 14 night Western Med cruise twice & the 14 night Eastern Med cruise twice in consecutive years & saw different things each time even though the ports were predominantly the same.

We loved that the itinerary was repeated thoughout the season, so we could choose when to go, rather than having to go when the itinerary appealed.

We're trying Grand Princess next month but fear it won't live up to OV

You will love the ship - nice mix of people and not too british - no kettle in your cabin but free room service - enjoy:)

The big minus point is 2 days each way cruising the english channel and bay of biscay which is often rough, dull and rainy - far better to fly out to the med and join your ship there. Plus the travelling to Southampton - took longer last year to travel from Liverpool to Southampton than travelling from here to Palma for OV:mad:

Dont let the above put you off as you will have a lovely cruise, we loved OV but now love Princess and if we are honest actually find some aspects even better than OV. Not planning a Southampton start again any time soon but we will be flying out to Venice in 5 days to join Star Princess (quicker and easier to get to than the uk's so called 'premier' cruise port!).