Reducing tip percentage.

stubbywillow

Do you get $50 or $100 a month to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week?

No, but then I am not a slave. I thought slavery had been abolished in the US. We have minimum wage laws in the UK and I believe you do too. So why should passengers have to assume the cruise line's responsibility ? :confused:

What is the proceedure if you want to either reduce your percentage tip or not pay it at all? NCL cruise line. I have heard you have to stand in a queue and be gawped at.(embarassing )

Failing to address the problem to responsible supervisors and/or penalizing all staff members who participate in the tip pool should be what embarrasses you. Once you have accepted that, why would you be concerned about having your actions known?

No, but then I am not a slave. I thought slavery had been abolished in the US. We have minimum wage laws in the UK and I believe you do too. So why should passengers have to assume the cruise line's responsibility ? :confused:

Because they have chosen to cruise with that line. The staff on cruise lines are not draftees: they sign on knowing what the compensation package is. Similarly, you book with the cruise line knowing what the staff compensation policy is. If you do not like it, perhaps you should explore other options - rather than trying to impose your conceptions on appropriate compensation plans on others.

These employees are not covered by US or UK labor laws.

It just stuns me all of the cruisers who reduce or take off their Auto service charge but still cruise knowing full well that the staff get paid very little and rely on their tips.

If you don't agree with tipping then fine that is your choice but just don't cruise on a cruiseline that let's you reduce or or take off your auto tip. I believe there are cruiselines out there that tips are included in the fare??? Well then cruise those ships. :)

LOL Too bad this certain class of people can not be forced to walk around the ship with a big flashing badge pinned to their chest stating, I am proud to be a non tipper and have or will be taking off my auto tip.

Would be interesting to see the service they get and how the other tipping cruisers treated them??? :D

it just stuns me all of the cruisers who reduce or take off their auto service charge but still cruise knowing full well that the staff get paid very little and rely on their tips.

If you don't agree with tipping then fine that is your choice but just don't cruise on a cruiseline that let's you reduce or or take off your auto tip. I believe there are cruiselines out there that tips are included in the fare??? Well then cruise those ships. :)

lol too bad this certain class of people can not be forced to walk around the ship with a big flashing badge pinned to their chest stating, i am proud to be a non tipper and have or will be taking off my auto tip.

would be interesting to see the service they get and how the other tipping cruisers treated them??? :d

bravo!!!!!!

Because they have chosen to cruise with that line. The staff on cruise lines are not draftees: they sign on knowing what the compensation package is. Similarly, you book with the cruise line knowing what the staff compensation policy is. If you do not like it, perhaps you should explore other options - rather than trying to impose your conceptions on appropriate compensation plans on others.

FYI I have just returned from a Celebrity equinox cruise where the suggested tipping was about $12.50 pp per day. this was added to the onboard account on a daily basis. I paid this without quibble because the service was very good. I am not at all trying to impose my conceptions on others. Everyone is free to do as they choose. I think it has been adequately stated above that Europeans tip for good service, not to pay wages. Perhaps the reason that ships can get away with not adequately remunerating their employees is due to the "laissez faire" attitude of Americans. If more of you complained about it instead of rolling over they would have to do something about it. Maybe increase fares, but at least it would give a true indication of the cost of a cruise without passing off their costs onto customers.

It just stuns me all of the cruisers who reduce or take off their Auto service charge but still cruise knowing full well that the staff get paid very little and rely on their tips.

LOL Too bad this certain class of people can not be forced to walk around the ship with a big flashing badge pinned to their chest stating, I am proud to be a non tipper and have or will be taking off my auto tip.

Would be interesting to see the service they get and how the other tipping cruisers treated them??? :D

I don't disagree with tipping at all. I have just paid the full suggested tip on Celebrity Equinox where the service was very good. I object to having a tip imposed on me. A tip is subjective and discretionary. Yes, by all means suggest a tipping amount, but don't dictate that this must be paid. And as to your point about which cruise line to chose, that makes no sense. Surely if I didn't agree with tipping (which as I've said is not the case) then I am more likely to chose a line which lets me reduce or remove the tip, aren't I ? I like your suggestion about the flashing badges. Perhaps it could equally be applied to people who refuse to adhere by the ships suggested dress code by not wearing tuxedos or dark suits for formal nights.

I don't disagree with tipping at all. I have just paid the full suggested tip on Celebrity Equinox where the service was very good. I object to having a tip imposed on me. A tip is subjective and discretionary. Yes, by all means suggest a tipping amount, but don't dictate that this must be paid. And as to your point about which cruise line to chose, that makes no sense. Surely if I didn't agree with tipping (which as I've said is not the case) then I am more likely to chose a line which lets me reduce or remove the tip, aren't I ? I like your suggestion about the flashing badges. Perhaps it could equally be applied to people who refuse to adhere by the ships suggested dress code by not wearing tuxedos or dark suits for formal nights.

LOL Don't even start on the tuxedos and dark suits for formal night....;)

Mr.QT had to almost hold me down one night in the Diamond Princess Savoy......all I wanted to do was go up to a man wearing a tee- shirt and baseball cap (I am sure he put it on after he gained entry) and very ladylike, innocently but on purpose knock it off his head. I could have blamed it in my oversized bag. :eek:

Honestly?? I think auto service charges should be made into mandatory auto service charges that are paid for with the final payment before the cruise sets sail that way we who want to tip over and beyond can and those who don't like tipping....welll they didn't pre-pay tipping they prepayed a mandatory service charge :)

Did you like the Celebrity Equinox?? I mean beyond the great service? That is one ship I would like to cruise one.

LOL Don't even start on the tuxedos and dark suits for formal night....;)

Mr.QT had to almost hold me down one night in the Diamond Princess Savoy......all I wanted to do was go up to a man wearing a tee- shirt and baseball cap (I am sure he put it on after he gained entry) and very ladylike, innocently but on purpose knock it off his head. I could have blamed it in my oversized bag. :eek:

Honestly?? I think auto service charges should be made into mandatory auto service charges that are paid for with the final payment before the cruise sets sail that way we who want to tip over and beyond can and those who don't like tipping....welll they didn't pre-pay tipping they prepayed a mandatory service charge :)

Did you like the Celebrity Equinox?? I mean beyond the great service? That is one ship I would like to cruise one.

In 12 cruises I would say that the Equinox is the best ship I have been on. The staterooms are well apointed, the verandah is reasonably sized and the public areas are light and airy. The food in the MDR was very good and the buffet food was unbelievably good, so much choice. They had some really interesting guest speakers on board. For a ship of that size (I think around 120,000 tonnes) the passenger limit of 2,850 meant that it didn't seem crowded. There are plenty of sunbeds on board and the real grass lawn area on the top deck was a nice addition. The only negative I would have is that they have a beautiful state of the art theatre but the entertainment is mediocre. I don't mean this as a put down but I have found that P&O (which is a British line) put on full production west end type shows most nights, whereas the American ships whilst being more glitzy, tend to use a lot of cinematic backdrops instead of scenery and have more headline performers rather than full production shows. Just my preference. Otherwise she is a beautiful ship and I would thoroughly recommend her.

FYI I have just returned from a Celebrity equinox cruise where the suggested tipping was about $12.50 pp per day. this was added to the onboard account on a daily basis. I paid this without quibble because the service was very good. I am not at all trying to impose my conceptions on others. Everyone is free to do as they choose. I think it has been adequately stated above that Europeans tip for good service, not to pay wages. Perhaps the reason that ships can get away with not adequately remunerating their employees is due to the "laissez faire" attitude of Americans. If more of you complained about it instead of rolling over they would have to do something about it. Maybe increase fares, but at least it would give a true indication of the cost of a cruise without passing off their costs onto customers.

I find it surprising that you do not understand that the cruise line passes ALL of their costs to the passengers.

That doesn't make them any different from any other business.

That's fine, but the idea that "This is how we do things and we don't care how things are done elsewhere" sounds suspiciously like a charge that Europeans seem to be constantly lobbing at the US: "You Americans think the world should do things the way you do." Isn't that exactly what you're saying here: "The world should pay wages and give gratuities the same way Europeans do."

Now what I do agree with is that they should just go ahead and add a reasonable amount to basic cruise fares and raise the base pay scale for crew members. OTOH, I think that laws (not just in the US, BTW) that allow service employees to be paid at a much lower scale than other workers because of various tipping systems should be changed.

I have to say I find this confusing:

at least it would give a true indication of the cost of a cruise without passing off their costs onto customers.

Aren't they passing on the costs to customers regardless? Either they're in the form of higher fares or they're in the form of the tip/DSC system. It's not as if the cruise lines hide the cost structure or spring the DSC on people without notice.

beachchick

I'd be keen as to wear a BIG flashing badge that says, "I'm proud to be a non-tipper 'cause I paid 100% on top of what the average US citizen paid for this EXACT same cruise, so I'm allowing my "tips" for the hard working crew to come out of my 100% extra, which is way more than the tight butted USA cruisers who only tip $10 - $15 per day on top of their fare"

LMBFAO!!!!!

Do you think I could buy me one of those off ebay??? :D

That's fine, but the idea that "This is how we do things and we don't care how things are done elsewhere" sounds suspiciously like a charge that Europeans seem to be constantly lobbing at the US: "You Americans think the world should do things the way you do." Isn't that exactly what you're saying here: "The world should pay wages and give gratuities the same way Europeans do."

Now what I do agree with is that they should just go ahead and add a reasonable amount to basic cruise fares and raise the base pay scale for crew members. OTOH, I think that laws (not just in the US, BTW) that allow service employees to be paid at a much lower scale than other workers because of various tipping systems should be changed.

Aren't they passing on the costs to customers regardless? Either they're in the form of higher fares or they're in the form of the tip/DSC system. It's not as if the cruise lines hide the cost structure or spring the DSC on people without notice.

beachchick

If I go into a store to buy a shirt for £50 I would not expect the salesperson to say "That will be £55, £50 for the shirt and £5 for me as I don't get paid enough". The point is, I have paid a certain price for the cruise which, as far as I am concerned, the cruise line are happy gives them a profit and therefore takes in to account their costs. I do not expect to have an additional charge forced upon me, it should be discretionary. If you buy a computer for say $399 that same computet will be £399 over here, thats a 50% increase at today's exchange rates. The same goes for cruises. We pay more for them than you do, so why should we be expected to pay more still ? Probably put over more succinctly by Cruisin_on_th-net above

beachchick

No. See my reply to beachchick above.

If I go into a store to buy a shirt for £50 I would not expect the salesperson to say "That will be £55, £50 for the shirt and £5 for me as I don't get paid enough". The point is, I have paid a certain price for the cruise which, as far as I am concerned, the cruise line are happy gives them a profit and therefore takes in to account their costs. I do not expect to have an additional charge forced upon me, it should be discretionary. If you buy a computer for say $399 that same computet will be £399 over here, thats a 50% increase at today's exchange rates. The same goes for cruises. We pay more for them than you do, so why should we be expected to pay more still ? Probably put over more succinctly by Cruisin_on_th-net above

If you don't like the business model any cruiseline uses, you are under no obligation to cruise on that line. Haven't you heard the phrase, "vote with your wallet"? If you don't like the fact that they charge you more than a North American for the same cruise, don't book the cruise.

If you don't like the business model any cruiseline uses, you are under no obligation to cruise on that line. Haven't you heard the phrase, "vote with your wallet"? If you don't like the fact that they charge you more than a North American for the same cruise, don't book the cruise.

Why not ? I never said I was unhappy about paying more for the cruise. Did you not understand my comment ? I said that, having paid more for the cruise, why should we be expected to pay more still ? :p

Some people simply do not like the concept of incentive pay - they will never like tipping. A service industry, such as cruising, can logically attempt to build an incentive system into their pricing structure. To lots of us, a "service charge", "autotip", or whatever you want to call it makes a great deal of sense: it makes part of the compensation of the service providers dependent upon the quality of their service -- as determined (very appropriately) by the recipients of that service. The $11 or so per day is not a huge amount, considering the number of people sharing it and the amount of service they recive - but the ability to remove or reduce it gives the recipients a means to protest poor service. Anyone who feels that any individual has provided superior service is free to (and arguably should) give a directed tip in addition.

It all boils down to a difference of opinion concerning the appropriateness of linking compensation to performance: I think it makes sense -- especially in a service industry.

People who are forced to pay higher basic fares than others because of where they live have a valid complaint -- but that is a totally different matter (unless they themselves refuse to accept the incentive compensation notion - and then they can vote with teir feet).

You might pay more though that is not ALWAYS true. Sometimes passengers who book through EU and UK agencies pay less than others on board. When we sailed in the UK with family from Scotland we were very surprised to learn that their cost was lower than what we had paid for the same type of cabin. Maybe it was an isolated case but perhaps this is yet another example of the myth and hyperbole rampant throughout this thread.

My observation is that EVERYTHING costs more in Europe compared to the same item in the US. It might be more worth your while to ask why you have to pay more for those things, than complain about the fact that others pay less. Where is that difference going?

Hint: Probably not towards corporate profits.

Why not ? I never said I was unhappy about paying more for the cruise. Did you not understand my comment ? I said that, having paid more for the cruise, why should we be expected to pay more still ? :p

My first sentence was about your not liking the business model for the cruise line and therefore not cruising on that line. That should be your primary consideration.

You just like arguing, don't you? As my late mother said, you'd argue with a stump! :eek:

Glad we stupid "yanks" have been able to entertain you this weekend.:D

You might pay more though that is not ALWAYS true. Sometimes passengers who book through EU and UK agencies pay less than others on board. When we sailed in the UK with family from Scotland we were very surprised to learn that their cost was lower than what we had paid for the same type of cabin. Maybe it was an isolated case but perhaps this is yet another example of the myth and hyperbole rampant throughout this thread.

My observation is that EVERYTHING costs more in Europe compared to the same item in the US. It might be more worth your while to ask why you have to pay more for those things, than complain about the fact that others pay less. Where is that difference going?

Hint: Probably not towards corporate profits.

I am not complaining that you pay less. I accept the price we pay is the going rate on this side of the pond. But as far as I am concerned that is the price for the cruise all in. If I want to reward service that should be up to me and not forced upon me or the amount dictated to me.

Not tipping is fundamentally stealing from the employees who served you. You are asking them to work for free.

I hope that you are completely embarrassed while removing your tips.

how do you people know exactly what the op is or has gone through with one or more crew members that makes him ask to begin with ? . i wanted very badly to remove the tips one time ( although i did not ) because i had a cabin steward who was quite a bit on the rude side and walked into my cabin while we were there 3 times without knocking and did not apologize 2 out of the three times he did it. if it werent for the rest of his crew being being fantastic i would certainly have removed his tips. i still went to the front desk and let them know about it.

I am not complaining that you pay less. I accept the price we pay is the going rate on this side of the pond. But as far as I am concerned that is the price for the cruise all in. If I want to reward service that should be up to me and not forced upon me or the amount dictated to me.

Then you are slightly mistaken in re the price of the cruise.

Archived