Suggest an itinerary for us!

lhall85917

We are looking at European river cruises for next summer. My DH says what he has pictured is cruising along looking at scenic villages tucked into the mountains. I had it narrowed down to Vantage's Castles Along the Rhine & Danube but I don't think that it meets the bill for what he is picturing (not mountainous enough). Any suggestions for a very scenic river cruise with wonderful stops?

Thanks in advance...

lots of hills, great scenery,cute towns,really one of my favorites...out of 7 so far.....more impressive than Castles on Rhine,,to me,,,at least,,,,only 1 day of really seeing any castles,,,from boat,,,and it rained...boo hoo...plus,towns were larger and not as scenic as Portugal,,,PS>>>also loved Russia,Egypt...and France.....so many to choose,,,but just think of it as FIRST one,,,others LATER....:)

We all have our favorite itineraries and cruise lines. The castles along the Rhine are lovely to watch as you slowly cruise by. Portugal was so beautiful, but too short. The Elbe is fascinating. Egypt spectacular. IMHO Once you have seen St. Petersburg, the rest of Russia is so-so. The Peruvian amazon is amazing. So no one can really decide for you. The time of year that you cruise can make all the difference. Cruising thru Holland and going to the Kuekenhof gardens is a memory that doesn't fade. Good luck finding just the right trip for you. Pat

We all have our favorite itineraries and cruise lines. The castles along the Rhine are lovely to watch as you slowly cruise by. Portugal was so beautiful, but too short. The Elbe is fascinating. Egypt spectacular. IMHO Once you have seen St. Petersburg, the rest of Russia is so-so. The Peruvian amazon is amazing. So no one can really decide for you. The time of year that you cruise can make all the difference. Cruising thru Holland and going to the Kuekenhof gardens is a memory that doesn't fade. Good luck finding just the right trip for you. Pat

Couldn't agree more. Each itinerary has its own attractions. Even the time of year changes the experience. My wife and I wouldn't agree on our "best" cruise, but we would agree that all were great.

The good news is that any cruise provides a wonderful opportunity to see another culture.

We are looking at European river cruises for next summer. My DH says what he has pictured is cruising along looking at scenic villages tucked into the mountains. I had it narrowed down to Vantage's Castles Along the Rhine & Danube but I don't think that it meets the bill for what he is picturing (not mountainous enough). Any suggestions for a very scenic river cruise with wonderful stops?

Thanks in advance...

I lived in Germany for four years, and only did a one day Rhine Cruise. The BEST way to see the Alps is not on a cruise. Visiting Southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy, etc. is best done by car or train. Switzerland has a great train ride that goes through some fantastic Alpine scenery. I cannot remember the name, something like Alpine Express. It ends at Zermatt.

I think river cruises are great, but frankly, expensive compared to land travel, if you do your own thing, and use the internet to select hotel, etc.

I lived in Germany for four years, and only did a one day Rhine Cruise. The BEST way to see the Alps is not on a cruise. Visiting Southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Northern Italy, etc. is best done by car or train. Switzerland has a great train ride that goes through some fantastic Alpine scenery. I cannot remember the name, something like Alpine Express. It ends at Zermatt.

I think river cruises are great, but frankly, expensive compared to land travel, if you do your own thing, and use the internet to select hotel, etc.

Funny that you should mention that, the more we look, the more we are leaning toward a land trip of Austria and Switzerland - 15 days, and the cost will be about $3000 less than a river cruise. The only difference in included options would be that the land cruise includes all breakfasts but only 9 dinners, but I think we can make up the price difference with that. This one doesn't include the Glacier Express which looks wonderful, it is included on a 12 day land tour that doesn't cover quite as much area. Too many decisions!!!

It is called the Glacier Express and it is fantastic.

The main attraction of river cruising for me is the ability to unpack your things and not have to think about luggage for the duration of the cruise.

For many years I did cycling trips in Europe. While I very much enjoyed that, I got really tired of having to pack up my bag virtually every day (because there were only 1 or 2 places where we spent 2 nights) and get it down to the lobby by whatever hour it was needed (which was actually later than most bus tours).

With that in mind, a cruise isn't a great way to see the Alps, which are spectacular. If you go for a land tour, just make sure that you understand the pace of the tour. This includes how early you need to be up and packed each day and what is included/optional and how much free time you will have.

Nomi

The main attraction of river cruising for me is the ability to unpack your things and not have to think about luggage for the duration of the cruise.

For many years I did cycling trips in Europe. While I very much enjoyed that, I got really tired of having to pack up my bag virtually every day (because there were only 1 or 2 places where we spent 2 nights) and get it down to the lobby by whatever hour it was needed (which was actually later than most bus tours).

With that in mind, a cruise isn't a great way to see the Alps, which are spectacular. If you go for a land tour, just make sure that you understand the pace of the tour. This includes how early you need to be up and packed each day and what is included/optional and how much free time you will have.

Nomi

I am a cyclist (120 miles per week) and would love to cycle Tuscany or Provence. Did you ship your bike or rent a bike in Europe? I know bike tours are availible, but pricey.

I am a cyclist (120 miles per week) and would love to cycle Tuscany or Provence. Did you ship your bike or rent a bike in Europe? I know bike tours are availible, but pricey.

I've never rented in Europe. I travelled with a small company that runs only a few trips a year and doesn't have stables of bikes. When you were allowed 2 pieces of luggage the bike (until recently) flew free as one piece. That isn't true any more. However, my bike is set up for me, and I know its gearing and like my seat and everything else about it. You can't duplicate that on a rental bike. (I rented a bike for 2 weeks in Tasmania a few years ago and was not as comfortable as on my own bike.)

There are more economical options than the biggies, although I can't give names here. Try googling European cycling trips.

Good Luck

Archived