Not a fan of NCL

HappyHappy1

Sorry...NOT Bogus. When I asked about putting the boys in 1 room and the adults in the other...I was told that it is against the cruise lines policy to do this that the boys were not allowed to share a room without an adult. Maybe there was an incident somewhere along the way...I dont know. Like I said...Just my view.

I guess every now and then, you get a TA who gives wrong information. When booking our 2 cabins, I listed my husband and myself first, plus 2 kids, and then tried to book the other 3 in the connecting cabin. She told me the computer wouldn't let her do it, but of course we were free to sleep wherever we wanted - lots of folks here have had the same experience.

You do realize that you need to BOOK an adult in each room, but you can sleep anywhere you like, right? Families do this all of the time, and NCL is totally okay with it. We liked the food in the main dining rooms - rarely got something bad. We didn't try the Italian restaurant (being from the NYC area, we avoid Italian restaurants when we travel, because we're usually disappointed), but Le Bistro was awesome, and we really liked the Tex Mex restaurant. The buffet was fine for me - loved the eggs benedict, omlet station, and yogurt/berry station. Lunch for me was the made to order soup, plus salad, and fruit. Your HS must have a great cafeteria!

BINGO! I live in Dallas and I find most Tex-Mex restaurants outside of my state to be inferior. The Tex Mex on NCL was actually pretty good, all things considered. And my mom loves Il Popo!

Different cruise lines for different folks. While the cruise lines are more alike than they are different, there are some differences. Appears you prefer the Carnival differences, whereas I prefer the Norwegian differences.

NCL cabins are a bit smaller than Carnivals. Since we cruise as a couple I prefer the slightly shorter width cabin because the TV is a bit closer as I wake up and go to sleep. Yes, NCL could do with an upgrade of their TVs on most of their ships in many of their cabins, but I prefer to enjoy the ship than stay couped up in a cabin.

Obviously you are impressed with high ceiling atriums, I am not...

Food is so subjective, but if you find portions small, you can order more.

Norwegian is similar to Carnival booking cabins with teenagers as well. You could have swapped key cards with your teenagers.

I also don't confuse Florida or the rest of the United States school holidays with New York area school holidays.

We're cruising on the Pearl very soon with our two boys ages 18 and 14 and booked two AD's without any issues. On our reservation my name is on one suite, my wife's on the other one. When we get on the ship my wife and I will stay in one suite, our boys in the suite next to us. Our PCC at NCL said that is absolutely no problem. It's too bad the OP had such a bad experience on the Pearl. This is our 2nd cruise on the Pearl and we can't wait to get back on her as our experience last time was perfect.

Funny, but even though it's been sometime for me on Carnival, I took my kids who were teens at the time, and Carnival's rules were kids couldn't be alone at night in their room, under the age of 21. Though I must say, Carnival seems to be more geared at a younger than myself age group now. I've toned down quite a bit. I've never been on the Pearl, and have only been on the Dawn and we loved her. My children now in their late 20's love Carnival.

We're cruising on the Pearl very soon with our two boys ages 18 and 14 and booked two AD's without any issues. On our reservation my name is on one suite, my wife's on the other one. When we get on the ship my wife and I will stay in one suite, our boys in the suite next to us. Our PCC at NCL said that is absolutely no problem. It's too bad the OP had such a bad experience on the Pearl. This is our 2nd cruise on the Pearl and we can't wait to get back on her as our experience last time was perfect.

Question... How were your KEYS coded?

Husband and I are in a cabin and our kids (18 and 16) are in adjoining cabin. Just wondering... Will they CODE OUR KEYS as we want, or will they be coded as we are "on paper"? i.e. if I'm "officially" listed for the kids room, will I be able to open the door to the room where Husband and I are sleeping? Thnks!

its to bad that you didnt enjoy NCL but as you can see there are alot of us who do and when your review starts out with disgusting food, thats when i stop reading...having been on 6 NCL cruises with 2 more booked and 2 more in the process i have never seen DISGUSTING food...perhaps your expectations of your NCL cruise were to high-stick with Carnival!

BINGO! I live in Dallas and I find most Tex-Mex restaurants outside of my state to be inferior. The Tex Mex on NCL was actually pretty good, all things considered. And my mom loves Il Popo!

Just goes to show you that it often is a matter of taste. Granted, I'm a CA central coastie, so we have Cal-Mex, which I know is different from Tex-Mex (and which I bet differs from New Mexico's hybrid too) and we have reasonably authentic Mex (you know, the kind where you'd swear you were at a little street taqueria and the Mexican grandma is pressing the tortillas-yum). But we thought the Tex-Mex on NCL was bland, boring, and not so good quality at all. I think what really clinched it for me was the obviously canned salsa (very mild, which I guess they have to do for a wide range of palates) and almost stale "chips from a bag." I don't expect gourmet, but that was really disappointing.

OTOH, we enjoyed the food on NCL overall and found the Asian fusion on our cruise to be quite good, even though it was not at all the "usual" style for us. Being from the bay area originally, we are kind of spoiled that way.

Still, had I found any uncooked shrimp on any dish, I would have been extremely unhappy and would have made it known (not in a nasty way). Any kind of food safety issue is a hot button for me. It would have, simply put, grossed me out to the point where I would have skipped the meal entirely. Then again, we tend to prefer the specialty restaurants anyway because they are smaller and more focused.

beachchick

HappyHappy...

Which ship were you on? Too bad your cruise was not to your liking. I have always loved the NCL buffets...the best at sea actually, IMHO. Action stations provide the chefs the ability to cook in front of the passengers and offer fresh hot food. It is awful that your son was served raw shrimp in the MDR. I can not imagine that. Did you ask to speak to the head waiter or maitre D about that?

its to bad that you didnt enjoy NCL but as you can see there are alot of us who do and when your review starts out with disgusting food, thats when i stop reading...having been on 6 NCL cruises with 2 more booked and 2 more in the process i have never seen DISGUSTING food...perhaps your expectations of your NCL cruise were to high-stick with Carnival!

I agree completely. In my last NCL cruise (Med cruise on the Gem, for 14 days, I encountered NO disgusting food. The food ranged between excellent to good. I have another NCL cruise on the Jade booked out of Barcelona in March. Ya hooo.

We love NCL...but that's us! NCL Freestyle Cruising fits our needs perfectly so have no desire to try another cruise line...although, Celebrity certainly would be our second choice. As for food, we have always been able to find something we like either in the MDR or in one of the pay restaurants. If you get something and you find it disgusting, just ask your server for something else. I never expect the food to be as good as our favorite restaurants at home, so I am not sure what you were expecting. As for the small TV...we only use it at night just before going to sleep or to check out the channel that shows where we are at that moment. The cabins are tight, but since I only sleep there and make use of the balcony when we are in the cabin, it really doesn't make much difference to me what the cabin is like. I'm more concerned how large the balcony is since I spend more time there than in the cabin.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience, but hopefully you will find what you like by going back to Carnival. Wow, good thing you weren't on the Splendor!

I am always amused how the Cheerleaders are soooo quick to challenge anyone who has a different or unfavorable reveiw and post their comments.

By posting your Cheerleader objections, you keep moving the thread to the top of the list which is probably what the OP desired.

I especially love the poster who said "thats when I stop reading...". Come on, if you really stopped reading, I bet you would have not bothered posting.

I for one really like reading the different reviews. It would become very boring and lack of information we would recieve if everyone only posted good reviews.

Maybe the Cheerleaders would be best advised to simple sit quietly and let us (yea me) that tend to be negative have our say as I would suggest we do with the cheerleaders. The other choice is to continue to post why the OP is wrong and keep thier topic alive.

Cheers!

I am always amused how the Cheerleaders are soooo quick to challenge anyone who has a different or unfavorable reveiw and post their comments.

By posting your Cheerleader objections, you keep moving the thread to the top of the list which is probably what the OP desired.

I especially love the poster who said "thats when I stop reading...". Come on, if you really stopped reading, I bet you would have not bothered posting.

I for one really like reading the different reviews. It would become very boring and lack of information we would recieve if everyone only posted good reviews.

Maybe the Cheerleaders would be best advised to simple sit quietly and let us (yea me) that tend to be negative have our say as I would suggest we do with the cheerleaders. The other choice is to continue to post why the OP is wrong and keep thier topic alive.

Cheers!

...and let misinformation abound? You would love that wouldn't you. :confused:

PE

...and let misinformation abound? You would love that wouldn't you. :confused:

PE

Hey PE,

So what did the OP say that was not true? I am not interested in what you did not agree with, but what was actually false. I hope your reply will include allowing him to have a different lever of expecations that are exclusively his own and not yours or mine.

I also found his willingness to honestly follow the no minors alone in a cabin refreshing vs. the cheerleaders sharing how to ignore the rules or get around them.

Thanks for helping me illustrate my point by being the first to reply.

Actually I found most of the usual cheerleaders who like to chase out any naysayers bit their tongues on this one. Reading through this thread, most people had a sympathetic tone towards the OP's issues with the cruise. I think the OP's post was fair and balanced overall (and explicitly made clear it was personal opinion, not hard fact). The "cheerleaders" merely pointed out where they see it differently in this case. We see the biggest problems when people from both camps start going on about subjective things like food quality and quality of activities as hard facts.

I personally believe some of the issues the OP had are not characteristic of an average NCL cruise (just bad luck, and a series of unfortunate circumstances). I think some people just wanted to stress that although there is nothing wrong with OP deciding to stick with Carnival, their different experience could provide enough hope to give NCL another shot (with the new information).

The very first cruise my family went on (RCCL's Majesty of the Seas), there were a lot off issues similar to OP's... 4 people crammed in a tiny ocean-view, no connecting beds (despite being promised this by TA), disappointing activities, terrible bathroom (IMHO of course), lots of ship wear & tear, etc... but you know what? My parents booked another RCCL cruise on board, for just 2 months later. They learned from what they didn't like about the Majesty and booked/planned a much better trip in a balcony cabin on the new (at the time) Serenade of the Seas. Now my parents are hooked on cruising, and do at least 2 per year, so it is all about giving it a second chance after not loving every aspect of the cruise.

Hey PE,

So what did the OP say that was not true? I am not interested in what you did not agree with, but what was actually false. .

1. The decor is not "plain", but ANY stretch of the imagination. The OP might not have liked it, but it's certainly far from 'plain'. That is a fact.

2. The staterooms are larger than a walk-in closet. Fact.

3. Staterooms are not 9' x 11' (which is 99 sq ft). They are 161 sq ft, or 62.6% larger than claimed.

4. I agree that Fox News is a joke, but MSNBC? No, the BBC at least is relatively serious.;)

5. The jumbo TV is the atrium is not used "mostly" for jewellery sales. Between Wii, and Movies, and nature photos, and art sales, the jewellery sales occupy at most, less than "most" of the time.

These are all factually incorrect claims in the OP's post.

Question... How were your KEYS coded?

Husband and I are in a cabin and our kids (18 and 16) are in adjoining cabin. Just wondering... Will they CODE OUR KEYS as we want, or will they be coded as we are "on paper"? i.e. if I'm "officially" listed for the kids room, will I be able to open the door to the room where Husband and I are sleeping? Thnks!

I wanted to get my card coded to work on both cabins, but they can't do that. They're happy to give out extra cards, but I haven't tried to code them differently than is on the booking. It's all fine for us as we're in adjoining cabins next week, but it would be super convenient if they could figure out a way to get one card to open two cabins. Sounded more policy than technology preventing it.

Since I am an old fogey, the idea of teenagers alone in the cabin next to mine gives me nightmares. Next door to the parents? OK. But not on some other part of the ship. I guess what is bothering me is that NCL (or any other cruise line) knows that this is going to happen by allowing the obvious booking of one parent/one teenager per cabin and then facilitates the move by changing the key cards.

We just got off of our first NCL cruise and were not impressed. Our previous cruises have all been on Carnival.

The food in the main dining rooms was disgusting. My son ordered an appeitizer of Jumbo shrimp and yukon gold potatos. There were two raw baby shrimp on mashed potatos. The shrimp were actually still gray. Gross! We tried the main dining rooms twice then gave in and went to the Italian restaurant. The food was ok at best. Much of the food on the Italian for a fee restaurant appeared on the main dining room menu at one point or another during the cruise. The Mozzarella, tomato, & bazil consisted of 3 slices of a roma tomato (about 1/2 of a tomato in total) and 3 chunks (about 1/4" in thickness) of mozarella cheese that you would get from a deli counter...not fresh buffalo mozz. The cheese was hard as if it had been sitting out all day. YUCK! The buffet remined me of a high school cafeteria. We did enjoy the Teppenyaki and Mambos.

The staterooms are so small. It was about the size of a large walk in closet. We had an ocean view stateroom.

NCL does not allow teenagers to have their own room. They must share with their parents. We have two teenage boys. 4 people in a stateroom that is about 9' x 11'. There is only one bunk. There are two lower beds and a trundle bed. When the trundle is up, there is one giant bed that stretches from wall to wall. Weird! You have to get out of bed by crawling out the foot of the bed. And if you are the unlucky one who is sleeping under the bunk (which is only 22" over the bed) you need to crawl over the person in the middle then down to the foot of the bed due to the low bunk and ladder.:confused:

The Television...well...I don't think they could find a smaller one if they tried. Also the TV stations are a joke. We had MSNBC, BBC, Fox News, ESPN, and E!. Oh yeah...and a station that played the Karate Kid 24/7.

There are very few teens on the ship...so there weren't any activities happening. Not very family friendly if you have kids older than 6 or 7 years old.

When I asked at the reception desk about the staterooms not being suitable for families, I was told that I could have booked a suite or a Garden Villa. Costing an extra $3,000 to $15,000 more.

The jumbo TV in the center of the ship is used mostly for Jewelery sales and other semenars to get you to purchase stuff. It is in that area that Carnival would consider the Atrium...not fancy or anything...very plain...boring.

The CD had a Volleyball tourney in the kids pool. The problem with this is that there were only men playing and the kids couldn't swim. A few kids went over to the adult pool to use it during the volleyball game (since they couldn't use the family pool) and the kids were chased out.

We will never do another NCL Cruise.:(

My rating out of 5 stars:

Food: 2 overall

Main dining rooms: 1 star

Italian for a fee restaurant: 1 1/2 star

Lotus Garden for a fee restaurant: 1 star

Buffet: 1 star

Mombos for a fee restaurant: 3 stars

Blue Lagoon restaurant: 3 stars

Teppenyaki for a fee restaurant: 4 stars

Staterooms size: 1 star

Stateroom stewards: 4 stars (they were awesome!)

Family friendly ship: 2 stars

Decor: 2 stars because it is so plain

Cleanliness: 3 stars

Activities: 3 stars

Not worth the money we spent. On the 5th day into our 7 day cruise the boys wanted to go home. This was our 3rd cruise in a year so we are not strangers to cruising.

Just my opinion...so I thought I would share.

There is a reason for so many cruise lines, what line works for one will not for someone else. And yes, Carnival cabins are larger than NCL cabins. This is something that most people know prior to cruising or should if they did any research or were working with a travel agent. Four people (2 teens) in an NCL cabin would be very crowded. I will add, I book kids in their own cabins all the time. You just book 1 adult and 1 child per cabin. Heck our granddaughters, when they were 10 and 13 had their own cabin. This is the same on all cruise lines. Princess has relaxed their policy, as long as the cabins are adjacent they can actually book kids separately with no adult in a cabin.

I am a bit shocked at some of what you say: I have a copy of some of the Pearl menues and nowhere do I see jumbo shrimp listed as an appitizer except in the specailty dining rooms. Shrimp yes, but not jumbo shrimp. You liked Teppanyaka's, I have never thought it was worth the money but we enjoyed the Italian restaurant on the Pearl. There were 10 of us and we all were happy. This does show how subjective food can be.

I am truely sorry you didn't enjoy the Pearl as it gets outstanding ratings 95% of the time, but again, what is right for one isn't for someone else.

After reading some of your other posts I think the lack of kids on the cruise and the weather conditions might have played a role in your overall experience.

Obviously Carnival is a better match for you and your boys.

Nita

I was under the impression that you could book two adjoining/connecting OV rooms and your sons could have stayed in one of them... even if they couldn't officially be booked in one alone, you and your husband/wife could have been booked one in each but let the boys stay in the room alone.

you are right they can stay in cabins separate from parents and anyone who says the cabins are 9X11 needs to check the sq footage. They are small but not quite that small.

Nita

Cheers!

I am not sure where you are getting the idea us cheerleaders as you like to call us are giving the OP a rough time? Yes, when someone starts out by saying the food was disgusting it is going to signal a red flag for many.

As for what she said that was doubtful; 1- the Jumbo shrimp comment, most of us have discussed this before, the MDR doesn't offer jumbo shrimp cocktails and the information about 2 kids in a cabin. Most of us know all lines follow this policy, she is indicating Carnival did allow her to book the boys in a seaparate cabn, this is not allowed.

Most of us have stated NCL isn't the right line for her. Food is subjective, that is fine, she didn't like the buffet, most people rave about NCLs buffets but again. this doesn't mean it is to everyone's liking.

We all have a right to our opinions. You are not a fan of NCLs and take every opportunity to let us know. That is your choice, but some of us are fans and we are going to correct misgivings. This is how new CC readers can learn about the various lines.

Nita

Actually I found most of the usual cheerleaders who like to chase out any naysayers bit their tongues on this one. Reading through this thread, most people had a sympathetic tone towards the OP's issues with the cruise. I think the OP's post was fair and balanced overall (and explicitly made clear it was personal opinion, not hard fact). The "cheerleaders" merely pointed out where they see it differently in this case. We see the biggest problems when people from both camps start going on about subjective things like food quality and quality of activities as hard facts.

I personally believe some of the issues the OP had are not characteristic of an average NCL cruise (just bad luck, and a series of unfortunate circumstances). I think some people just wanted to stress that although there is nothing wrong with OP deciding to stick with Carnival, their different experience could provide enough hope to give NCL another shot (with the new information).

The very first cruise my family went on (RCCL's Majesty of the Seas), there were a lot off issues similar to OP's... 4 people crammed in a tiny ocean-view, no connecting beds (despite being promised this by TA), disappointing activities, terrible bathroom (IMHO of course), lots of ship wear & tear, etc... but you know what? My parents booked another RCCL cruise on board, for just 2 months later. They learned from what they didn't like about the Majesty and booked/planned a much better trip in a balcony cabin on the new (at the time) Serenade of the Seas. Now my parents are hooked on cruising, and do at least 2 per year, so it is all about giving it a second chance after not loving every aspect of the cruise.

I had the exact same take on this thread. OP gave both positives and negatives of their cruise, and did state that more research on their part could have made a difference. Seems fair to me. Maybe NCL isn't for the OPs family and that's totally fine. To each their own.

Thanks, OP, for sharing your experience. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you'd hoped. Best of luck with your next cruise, whatever line it may be on :)

Most of us know all lines follow this policy, she is indicating Carnival did allow her to book the boys in a seaparate cabn, this is not allowed.

Nita

this rule has changed recently. You CAN book kids in their own cabin BUT that cabin must be next door or across the hall. To get around that-- if a family of 4 books 1 parent in each cabin and book guaranty cabins those cabins could be on other decks away from each other.

I for one know what its like to have a bad cruise- thank God most of the people here who posts never had that experience.

So even me-- someone who posts for many many years-- better not have anything negative to say about the cruise.

Reading CruiseCritic a person needs to wear rose colored glasses because the negatives are not being posted by a lot of people

Just goes to show you that it often is a matter of taste. Granted, I'm a CA central coastie, so we have Cal-Mex, which I know is different from Tex-Mex (and which I bet differs from New Mexico's hybrid too) and we have reasonably authentic Mex (you know, the kind where you'd swear you were at a little street taqueria and the Mexican grandma is pressing the tortillas-yum). But we thought the Tex-Mex on NCL was bland, boring, and not so good quality at all. I think what really clinched it for me was the obviously canned salsa (very mild, which I guess they have to do for a wide range of palates) and almost stale "chips from a bag." I don't expect gourmet, but that was really disappointing.

OTOH, we enjoyed the food on NCL overall and found the Asian fusion on our cruise to be quite good, even though it was not at all the "usual" style for us. Being from the bay area originally, we are kind of spoiled that way.

Still, had I found any uncooked shrimp on any dish, I would have been extremely unhappy and would have made it known (not in a nasty way). Any kind of food safety issue is a hot button for me. It would have, simply put, grossed me out to the point where I would have skipped the meal entirely. Then again, we tend to prefer the specialty restaurants anyway because they are smaller and more focused.

I am right there with you on the uncooked shrimp. I freak out when ANYTHING is not up to par. I have a culinary educational background and my family calls me "the sanitation police", it's really funny.

beachchick

I agree with you. I am a Native Californian (born in Burbank) and I had Cal-Tex (Olivera Street tacos in LA) until I was twelve and moved to Texas and got introduced to Tex-Mex. On NCL I found the rice, beans, chips, salsa (I hate Pace Picante) and guacamole were all weak. But Il Popo was good, so was the Tortillas Soup. In fact it reminded me of Dean Fearing's from the Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, which is pretty famous nationally. (He also INVENTED the lobster taco.)

Also, I loved the berry dessert and my mother loved the other one, it was chocolate I think. The Il Popo was VERY good. It was like Fajitas, just hanging on a little rack. We had it on both the Jewel and the Dawn. We just made meals of that, the soup and the dessert... oh and quesadillas I think too. Obviously they weren't as memorable... but Quesadillas are pretty standard.

One time I ordered enclilads with red sauce in Mexico on vacation and they actually served me enchiladas with marinara sauce on top. Now that was pretty awful! Haha.

Cheers!

Hey, Gig... I consider myself a cheerleader and you will notice I replied to someone else on the ethnic food and not the OP, but I would like to say that I find it is not just a matter of someone being wrong, but things that they complain about that really ends up being more or less their own fault due to not doing research. It's no secret the square footage of the stateooms. They could have easily compared it to the square footage of what they had on Carnival and seen it was smaller. Just to come on here and say the stateroom was too small implies that they made a bad choice maybe? I am so glad I am a lifetime member of the wonderful site out there in the web that let's me really make an informed decision before I book a cabin or suite.

I know food is subjective. I did not care for the food on Carny, especially the eggs benedict. But I did not see where my going on the Carny board and telling Carny fans this was really a good thing to do. I certainly would not use words like disgusting, but that's just me. I did not like the food in Pacific Heights on the Sun, but I just chalked it up to different tastes. One of my friends tried three different dishes and didn't like any, but she just shrugged it off. What good is there in saying it's disgusting. If everything on the ship is disgusting to someone I might think it has more to do with them than the ship and their food. My mom used to give me this analogy when I was small. A lady was watching a parade and she turned to the guy next to her and replied "Look! Everyone is out of step but my son!"

I have also learned something since finding CC. My experience on Carny wasn't great. But I have learned from friends at CC that one week on one ship in one cabin with that week's crew and pax is representative of that line in every way. I just might give them another try sometime. Who knows!

Archived