Anyone ever gotten compensation for norovirus

WVTEX

Had a recent diasterous cruise on Carnival Glory. Had major embarkations and debarkation issues and THEN the Norovirus struck. Per CDC, 3.76 % of passengers and 1.71% or crew REPORTED illness. I wrote a nice letter to Carnival explaining our issues and the fact we already had another cruise booked and paid for with Carnival in 2011 - expecting some onboard credit or SOMETHING. All I got was a letter saying they were looking into the em/debarkation issues and they proceeded to tell me every ship has some illness and there was no indication it was from food or water. The CDC says norovirus is more likely to be from contaiminated food and water than from contract transfer. So basically they are not willing to do anything. Anybody have experience with getting the cruise line to do anything for the problems????

• 2 months later...

Hahahaha.... I'm still laughing at that one. Had a near death experience due to Norovirus on Carnival Glory. Wrote them a nice letter. Explained that my husband & I were quarentined in our room for four days, missed two ports, and felt like we would die, due to a virus that the CDC and FDA both agree is transmitted through contaminated food or water. Got a nice letter back from Carnival saying sorry and hope you'll cruise with us in the future. NOT A CHANCE, CARNIVAL!

Yep...In Jan. 08 my partner came down with "something" on the ship, ( not sure if it was noro, or not), and both of us were confined to the cabin for the last 2 days of the cruise...We were compensated aprox. half of our cruise cost back for a future cruise...However, this was on RC.

3% of 3200 is what 100 pax said they got sick out of that many .. and probably not all had noro.

Iv gotten sick on my first two B2Bs on Carnival. .. both of them. I guessed from another pax and I touched what they touched .. who knows. It didnt occur to me to ask for compensation, luck of the draw.

Unfortunately, you (or someone in your party) could have contracted Noro and brought it on the ship yourselves. (NOT saying this is what happened)

I am just explaining why Carnival would not compensate for something they have no way of knowing how you got it.

Oldest son had a wonderful bout of it from his college campus about 4 months ago.....he wasn't compensated either....;)

Had a recent diasterous cruise on Carnival Glory. Had major embarkations and debarkation issues and THEN the Norovirus struck. Per CDC, 3.76 % of passengers and 1.71% or crew REPORTED illness. I wrote a nice letter to Carnival explaining our issues and the fact we already had another cruise booked and paid for with Carnival in 2011 - expecting some onboard credit or SOMETHING. All I got was a letter saying they were looking into the em/debarkation issues and they proceeded to tell me every ship has some illness and there was no indication it was from food or water. The CDC says norovirus is more likely to be from contaiminated food and water than from contract transfer. So basically they are not willing to do anything. Anybody have experience with getting the cruise line to do anything for the problems????

Compensation from whom? The person you caught it from?

Good luck with that one.

Next will be posts about colds and flu. The ship is not a carrier of these either. It's us damn humans.

I got norovirus from my grandma on christmas eve... spent christmas day in the hospital. Maybe i should ask her for some compensation.

On a serious note... norovirus can happen anywhere, anytime. It doesn't just happen on cruise ships. Good luck getting compensation.

I got norovirus from my grandma on christmas eve... spent christmas day in the hospital. Maybe i should ask her for some compensation.

On a serious note... norovirus can happen anywhere, anytime. It doesn't just happen on cruise ships. Good luck getting compensation.

You sure it wasn't the green bean casserole?:eek:

Now, THIS is funny.

Just when you think you've heard it all...

Being compensated for getting the stomach flu....

Being compensated because embarkation and disembarkation was "a mess"....whatever that was.....

Travel much?

This link from CDC specifically addresses norovirus on cruise ships. It does not state that the cause is MORE likely to be from contaminated food and water. Cruise ships struggle with norovirus due to the close quarters of the passengers, i.e. person to person contact is a big issue.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/Norovirus.htm

Stuff happens. I wouldn't ask for, nor expect the cruise line to do anything...except allow me to stay in my cabin and not throw me off the ship!

Noro happens everywhere where there are people in close quarters -- schools, nursing homes, institutions of all kinds. You were just unfortunate to have contracted it (or did you? your post wasn't clear..did you get it, or just others on board?)

I was sick as a junk yard dog for a week after my last cruise. Maybe I had the noro or maybe it was the quart of green chili sauce I ate in Cozumel. It was so good I am going to have plenty of it again in two weeks. If I get sick again, can I sue Carnival twice for being personally stupid and not learning a lesson the first time?

Someone on that ship knows who started the virus spread. Round them all up and waterboard them until someone blurts out their identity. Then get a good, high profile, flashy attorney and clean their plow for your just compensation; even make it a class action suit so all 100 victims can reap the rewards. The more plaintiffs, the more the attorney makes.

In the meantime, wash your hands after you have touched railings, door handles, elevator buttons, wash room faucets, etc. and keep your hands and fingers out of your nose and mouth. That should decrease your chances of contaminationa and future bouts of the plague about 80%.

As far as the embarkation and debarkation, we've cruised between 25 and 30 times on varied lines. A few times we've had horrendous delays and still can't figure out how to keep it from happening. Once we do, we will share it with the cruise lines, the port and the ICE officials (for a price). In the meantime, we'll just remain thankful that we have the means and time to cruise.

Yep...In Jan. 08 my partner came down with "something" on the ship, ( not sure if it was noro, or not), and both of us were confined to the cabin for the last 2 days of the cruise...We were compensated aprox. half of our cruise cost back for a future cruise...However, this was on RC.

I just came back to read other responses on the thread and didn't realize being comp'd was unusual...I guess we got lucky...We never asked to be, ( and weren't expecting it)...They rang us up on the evening of our first day quarantined and said we'd be receiving an envelope before departing the ship explaining how to use the credit on a future cruise...Obviously we were pleased, but then began to think it must be standard practice as we'd not approached them about it...Now I know I guess.

We've pretty much been sailing Carnival the last couple of times feeling we've been priced out of RC...And I think Carnival provides a similar experience and have been happy...But, I guess I'd have to give the nod to RC on this situation.

I'm wearing a surgical mask and gloves during my next cruise. Damn to hell if I'll let germs ruin my vacation.

I got a cold once during a long weekender Carnival cruise to Nassau. The person behind me on the airplane coughed and coughed during the entire flight to Maimi. That idiot really put a damper on my weekend. (true)

Archived