Body scanners, More likely not to fly to cruise?

derf5585

I wish that they could have two queues at the airport; one for those who almost never fly and one for those who have flown often. let the people who know what they are doing get through security quickly by being prepared, and the people who take 10 minutes to get their shoes off and put everything on the belt can go to the other lines.

I agree....this would really speed things up when going through security. I can't believe how many people are unprepared when just having their documentation ready for the initial directions to the security lines! :rolleyes:

Our world has changed whether we like it or not. I'm treating this like a visit to my doctor.....it's a job that has to be taken care of. I don't care for it while I'm there, but I prefer to be safe.

It doesn't bother me at all if I travel with somebody. But it does bother me if I travel solo. They "nicely invite" you to go through Body Scanner or for pat down if you "fail" regular security test. But... your wallet, documents, carry-on bag already "passed" security, and will stay unattended for 3-5 or may be even 10 minutes. Are you gonna tell me that thieves don't travel/fly?:rolleyes:

Of course the TSA is reactionary. It is a reactionary result of a reactionary war. And now it has to deal with people who seem to forget that we are still in the middle of that war. Nevertheless, when did a terror event last occur on a flight originating from a US airport? And what is so exceptional about the Israeli security methods? Are you seriously suggesting that the US profile, involve the army, dogs, interrogation, and physical searches before you go through the scanner? I don't like the extra scrutiny, either, but it's just a sad fact of life during wartime.

I have been watching TV a lot this week and there are so many reporters and talking heads who keep throwing up the Israeli security at the airports and its effectiveness. No one wants to say thought that they deal with 40 flights a day and we deal with 2400 a day. If you don't fly a lot, just go through the scanners. I do feel for pilots and workers who have to do this all the time, not sure about the health risks to that but it should be looked at.

As someone involved in airline security, I can say that profiling is indeed the best way to prevent terrorism.

Terrorism is not something new, and was FAR MORE COMMON in the seventies and eighties than it is now. We are not at war with terrorism (whoever invented that saying should be shot in a real war:mad:) but vigilance is as always extremely important.

That said, I go through the body scanners on a regular basis and have no problem with them. Radiation at 37000 ft. is higher than what the scanners emit.

Would rather be body scanned or patted down than be hijacked.

When I fly, I dress in that which is easiest to take off. Everyone knows what must come off to go through scans so why wear shoes and jackets that take so much time to remove? I have my cosmetics and meds in the appropriate size baggies and electronics ready to put in the boxes provided for those things. I really hate while people figure out they must remove shoes, jackets, electronics, cosmetics and meds. That is the line I don't want to be in.

It doesn't bother me at all if I travel with somebody. But it does bother me if I travel solo. They "nicely invite" you to go through Body Scanner or for pat down if you "fail" regular security test. But... your wallet, documents, carry-on bag already "passed" security, and will stay unattended for 3-5 or may be even 10 minutes. Are you gonna tell me that thieves don't travel/fly?:rolleyes:

I travel weekly and anytime I am selected for additional screening, all of my carryon items are put in my view before the screening begins. Thought that was standard everywhere.

OK, I'll offer an alternative view. The new scanners have definitley impacted my plans for future cruises. I'm not saying I won't go, but it is certainly making me think about land based trips closer to home. I don't want the radiation form the scanners and I don't look forward to having everything on display whether it is anonymous or not. My friend said her internal birth control device was visible on the screen!!! As for the pat down, I won't even get a massage because I don't like strangers touching me. I'm not going to say they shouldn't do increased scans or pat downs, I understand the risk. But to answer the OP's question....yes, it will impact my future plans.

Unneccessary obtrusive intrusions on my right to fly. And yes I have a right to fly. Look it up. If they were so wonderful, the Israelis would be using them. Our problem is we are looking for weapons and not a people.

When this happen at shopping malls or even before you get onto the airport maybe more will complain. This does nothing to make us safer but only to enhance the pockets of Chertoff. Security Theatre.

Want to know what stopped the panty bomber? People on the plane. Same with shoe bomber. What stopped toner cartridge bombs? Human intel!!!

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's tough airline security methods — pistol-packing in-flight guards, grilling of passengers, rifling through luggage, — have helped thwart terrorist attacks in the past. Israeli experts said Wednesday that, had they been used in the United States, they might have prevented Tuesday's horrific airborne attacks in New York and Washington. But some would have proved difficult to implement in the United States, and others — like profiling — would not meet the test of the U.S. Constitution.

from

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2001/09/12/israelisecurity.htm

Security Issues

For obvious reasons security measures are especially stringent on flights to Israel. For this reason it is advised to arrive well before your flight as your luggage must be checked through airline security. You may be questioned as to your luggage, destination and purpose of visit to Israel. It is recommended as on all international flights not to bring sharp or weapon-like items as these aren’t allowed aboard the plane, other than in the checked luggage. Security measures taken by Israeli airlines, El-Al and Israir, have made them recognized as the safest airlines in the world.

from

http://www.israirairlines.com/guide.asp?id=229&menu_id=227

When approaching an Israeli airport, you are questioned in your vehicle outside the airport perimeter. Then you get three other screenings once inside the airport, and the amount of screening is dependent on many things such as residency (Israeli citizens get less screening), issuing country of passport, destination of flight (you're really going to get it if the flight goes to an "enemy" country. They don't have the problem that the US has with all this "profiling" crap. Yes, Israel profiles and good for them. But here in the US, the ACLU types won't stand for profiling. Too darned bad. If you're part of a group that is known for crimes or terrorist activities, maybe profiling at airports is what's needed. But we all know that only Israel is smart enough to be able to use this method without it's citizens getting all up in arms over it.

BTW, if you have nothing to hide from the Israeli security teams, you can get through all of this and to your gate in 30 minutes. Not bad considering that you can be in those idiotic lines for TSA screening for an hour.

CoachT, flying is NOT a right, it's a privilege. There's nothing in the Constitution nor in any law that says flying in an airplane is a right. Just like driving is not a right, but a privilege. No one says you MUST fly, you choose to do so. And if you make that choice, you follow the rules or you drive. I guess that means anyone who refused to go through the scanner, or have a pat down, has to wait for them to build a bridge to get to Europe. You obviously have not traveled much internationally, because if you had, you'd realize that security measures in foreign airports can be even more invasive. In Japan, you have to get out of your vehicle, with your bags, and stand outside while they check the vehicle and bring dogs to sniff your luggage. You go through even more checks once inside the terminal. In Israel, you are questioned outside the perimeter of the airport, in your vehicle and your vehicle is checked. And don't even start with what you go through in Arab countries.

Body scanners...Knock yourself out. If somebody can get their jollies by checking out this old body of mine - go for it! (It's not a pretty sight!)

In all seriousness, however, it's one more tool to at least try to keep a half step ahead of those who would do harm. As far as the railing by all those folks about how intrusive body scanners and pat downs are....I bet they'd be the first to b**ch that not enough was being done if something happened on their flight.

When approaching an Israeli airport, you are questioned in your vehicle outside the airport perimeter. Then you get three other screenings once inside the airport, and the amount of screening is dependent on many things such as residency (Israeli citizens get less screening), issuing country of passport, destination of flight (you're really going to get it if the flight goes to an "enemy" country. They don't have the problem that the US has with all this "profiling" crap. Yes, Israel profiles and good for them. But here in the US, the ACLU types won't stand for profiling. Too darned bad. If you're part of a group that is known for crimes or terrorist activities, maybe profiling at airports is what's needed. But we all know that only Israel is smart enough to be able to use this method without it's citizens getting all up in arms over it.

BTW, if you have nothing to hide from the Israeli security teams, you can get through all of this and to your gate in 30 minutes. Not bad considering that you can be in those idiotic lines for TSA screening for an hour.

CoachT, flying is NOT a right, it's a privilege. There's nothing in the Constitution nor in any law that says flying in an airplane is a right. Just like driving is not a right, but a privilege. No one says you MUST fly, you choose to do so. And if you make that choice, you follow the rules or you drive. I guess that means anyone who refused to go through the scanner, or have a pat down, has to wait for them to build a bridge to get to Europe. You obviously have not traveled much internationally, because if you had, you'd realize that security measures in foreign airports can be even more invasive. In Japan, you have to get out of your vehicle, with your bags, and stand outside while they check the vehicle and bring dogs to sniff your luggage. You go through even more checks once inside the terminal. In Israel, you are questioned outside the perimeter of the airport, in your vehicle and your vehicle is checked. And don't even start with what you go through in Arab countries.

They have 40 flights a day, we have 2400, totally unworkable in the US....They have I believe two airports, we have 400..We need a hybrid that will work in the US with the number of flights and definitely need profiling but the ACLU types would never allow it.

As far as I know as you stated, flying is not a right, just like driving...

In a perfect world, we would just walk on to the plane. Unfortunately, in the world we live in today, security measures which inconvenience many because of the horrific acts of a few, are a fact of life. Personally, I would rather be "felt up" than blown up.

You may want to Check out New Zealand. When I was there and taking a domestic flight, we didn't even go through Metal detectors. It was the strangest experience as I am used to so much security.

There was normal security for International flights, but not for the domestic flight

CoachT, flying is NOT a right, it's a privilege. There's nothing in the Constitution nor in any law that says flying in an airplane is a right. Just like driving is not a right, but a privilege.

This is where you and so many others are wrong.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00040103----000-.html

A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.
If we put as much money into profiling and doing security as the Israelis do, it certainly would scale. Anything else is security theatre. Think about it, there has not been an attack since 9/11. What was working before November 1st was working, now why the change. The Theatre Security Agency inconsistently applies the rules in every airport in America. It is not the same. I am so glad that there are airports that have given notice that they are going to OPT OUT of security screening by the TSA as the law allows. I hope more airports will follow. When will you people scream ENOUGH?

Let us see how you feel when you have to be groped and exposed to unnecessary radiation when going into Wal-mart. How about into the library or the shopping mall? Will you be ok with it then?

Do you think ships will start doing body scans?

Interesting thought -- but I don't know what would be accomplished by it. :confused:

Once onboard, cruise pax (unlike air travelers) are quickly reunited with their checked baggage. That's where the boarding security screening needs to be focused. And lets face it, most of the pre-boarding screening of pax and their carry-ons is focused on catching people trying to smuggle booze, not weapons! :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by kitty9

CoachT, flying is NOT a right, it's a privilege. There's nothing in the Constitution nor in any law that says flying in an airplane is a right. Just like driving is not a right, but a privilege.

Or as Christine O'Donnell famiously said, Where is the Constitution is "Flying is a right"

This is where you and so many others are wrong.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode49/usc_sec_49_00040103----000-.html

If we put as much money into profiling and doing security as the Israelis do, it certainly would scale. Anything else is security theatre. Think about it, there has not been an attack since 9/11. What was working before November 1st was working, now why the change. The Theatre Security Agency inconsistently applies the rules in every airport in America. It is not the same. I am so glad that there are airports that have given notice that they are going to OPT OUT of security screening by the TSA as the law allows. I hope more airports will follow. When will you people scream ENOUGH?

Let us see how you feel when you have to be groped and exposed to unnecessary radiation when going into Wal-mart. How about into the library or the shopping mall? Will you be ok with it then?

I think if you read that section fully, this pertains to those individuals with physical limitations. It specifically states in part two that this pertains to the right of disabled individuals to access public transportation, including airlines.

Hey, if it's determined that terrorists will target Walmart, KMart, malls or any other public place, have at it. Heck, I and every other patron attending a Pittsburgh Penguin hockey game is patted down before entering the Consol Energy Center. You're patted down before being allowed to enter for the Super Bowl, Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and most other high profile sporting events. I was checked before being allowed to enter Churchill Downs, the Master's, the US Open, and security for the Olympics was total and complete. Lines for entering the events at the Utah Winter Olympics were very long, but no one cared. They were very careful, and checked everyone before being allowed to enter the events at the Sydney Games. It's a way of life and if you don't like it, stay home. No one forces you to fly, cruise, attend a sporting event or shop in a mall.

Body scanners...Knock yourself out. If somebody can get their jollies by checking out this old body of mine - go for it! (It's not a pretty sight!)

In all seriousness, however, it's one more tool to at least try to keep a half step ahead of those who would do harm. As far as the railing by all those folks about how intrusive body scanners and pat downs are....I bet they'd be the first to b**ch that not enough was being done if something happened on their flight.

AMEN to that! I have been through several body scanners in the past 2 months and it is really a big nothing. I would be thrilled if someone wanted to look at this bod! I am just happy to feel a little safer!

And as far as the pat-down.....once a woman has given birth, especially in a teaching hospital, there is no more modesty! Every body part has been viewed, touched, poked, felt, examined, and discussed by just about every person who walks down the hospital hallway.....one can only hope they are all in the medical field! :D:D Come on in....we're having a baby!!!! :o

And as far as the pat-down.....once a woman has given birth, especially in a teaching hospital, there is no more modesty! Every body part has been viewed, touched, poked, felt, and discussed by just about every person who walks down the hospital hallway.....one can only hope they are all in the medical field! :D:D Come on in....we're having a baby!!!! :o

Delaware crime: Fake doctor fondles women at Christiana Hospital

from

http://www.sparkweekly.com/article/20101113/NEWS01/11130349/-1/Category=traffic

I had cancer and suspect dental x-ray as the cause. No amount of radiation exposure is a benefit to you.

The technology is very flawed it can not see into the body cavity(s) which since the introduction of these new scan machines is the new terrorist explosive hiding spot. :mad:

Delaware crime: Fake doctor fondles women at Christiana Hospital

from

http://www.sparkweekly.com/article/20101113/NEWS01/11130349/-1/Category=traffic

Glad my babies were born in Texas.....but who knows....heck, it was a teaching hospital, so no telling who all those people were. They all had on white coats and rubber gloves....and I was in no position to argue! I don't think I'm any the worse for wear.....but that may be in question, too.....

You may want to Check out New Zealand. When I was there and taking a domestic flight, we didn't even go through Metal detectors. It was the strangest experience as I am used to so much security.

There was normal security for International flights, but not for the domestic flight

They are a lot tougher when coming into their country though, especially customs. I was pretty shocked as I had never encountered as many questions in any of my European travels.

I thought it was really strange when I flew Qantas from New Zealand to Australia and I was *selected* when we deplaned to be patted down. I was staying right within the terminal to board a flight for LAX and had already been through security and had not left the airport. They had these little cubicles set up that you went into with an officer of the same sex and they checked your items and patted you down. No complaining from me, however I did think it was strange.

They don't bother me at all! I'd much rather be safe in the sky, and if this is what it takes so be it.
Your post says it all, and we totally agree. The complainers would be the first to scream saying they were not protected if something bad happened.:eek:

Archived