RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

The use of a specialty restaurant for GS and above guests for breakfast and lunch after getting WJ food is for Voyager and Freedom class ships. I do not know about Oasis, but this is not available on Radiance class as the specialty restaurants are not anywhere near the WJ. They are down on deck 6 I believe.

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs..

Actually, we've become quite accustomed to it! :D

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

So our solution is to invite you to sit with us.....we met an Aussie couple who will be friends forever, by doing just that. Would you sit with us?

Edited by J & G

Let's not turn this into a "who has best manners?" war, quite frankly although it's not the done thing here in Blighty, I can see the advantages of the American, find a table way of doing things and as I see this as an American cruise I'm more than happy to adopt your way of doing things, it's not rude it's just different. What is rude is someone criticising you for having a different way of doing things. Plus I'll happily share my table with anyone who wants to walk around with their full plate of rapidly getting cold food.

By the way this is a great thread and I've picked up some very handy tips for my first cruise. Thanks everyone.

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

I've learned something new, and will take note of my behavior on our future cruise. Thank you.

Only in America...Oh how wrong you are! Travel in Europe or Asia - lines don't exist. Try lining up and you instantly find other more agressive people in front of you. I learned when traveling in European Airports if you aren't somewhat agressive - you are going to miss your flight.

Well I can assure you that in the majority of cases, here in the UK, lines do exist. If all of your fellow citzens took your approach, it is no wonder that some American people are portrayed by some as boorish, rude and loud. I can assure you that queue jumping is certainly frowned upon here in the UK.

Furthermore, it is perhaps not a wise action to be 'aggressive' in some parts of Europe.

Certainly on my many trips to the US, I have noted that the concept of queuing does not exist for many Americans, but please note, I am not criticising, it is just an observation.

If I had a dislike for the Americans and the country, I would not visit as frequently as I do, - love the country and their people. Certainly I would not show a dislike for US citizens just because they jump a line now and again - we have enough a**holes in our own country to worry about other nationalities minor indiscretions!

Someone jumping in front of a queue may be deemed rude in other countries, but by being 'aggressive' and jumping a queue will only compound the anger of the people who are in an orderly line behind.

Only last month while waiting for the check in desk to open at LAX, there were about 20 people waiting to enter the line once the tape had been raised, however, despite the obvious waiting queue, an American couple decided to do a 'limbo dance' under the tape in an attempt to get to the front.

Rude or just clever because by taking this course of action, they would get checked in first? You decide - I will keep my own counsel on that one.

Some may say the end justified the means!

As an aside, rather than be 'aggressive' to avoid missing a flight, many would suggest arriving at the airport in time would be a preferable option rather than annoy your fellow travellers.

Edited by dickydonkin

I agree with several of the people who stated its a cultural difference. Most likely brought on by the fact that buffet style restaurants in most of the USA (I've lived in Miami and Cleveland, and visited places all over) you're seated first by the restaurant host/hostess or instructed to find your table, then either you are provided plates to start or pickup plates at the food stations. This naturally carries over to the ship especially since there are no 'given' rules other than the obvious don't fight.

Rule of thumb is simply, the departure port will determine 90% of the time what the overwhelming population of the pax on the ship will be. Be prepared to follow the traditions and culture for those people.

I know the original poster didn't mean to offend, however it's quite difficult to not come off as offensive (especially in our ridiculously PC world) when you make any comment that includes the words 'quite rude' and a specific nationality.

Only last month while waiting for the check in desk to open at LAX, there were about 20 people waiting to enter the line once the tape had been raised, however, despite the obvious waiting queue, an American couple decided to do a 'limbo dance' under the tape in an attempt to get to the front.

Rude or just clever because by taking this course of action, they would get checked in first? You decide - I will keep my own counsel on that one.

Some may say the end justified the means!

Just have to say - I am American, and I consider the situation described by dickydonkin very rude. To me, it doesn't matter what country you are in - treat other people the way you would like to be treated, and most will appreciate it! Just my two cents....:)

Just have to say - I am American, and I consider the situation described by dickydonkin very rude. To me, it doesn't matter what country you are in - treat other people the way you would like to be treated, and most will appreciate it! Just my two cents....:)

I agree, I will treat you as I would like to be treated.

When describing something like the LAX situation, I'd say thats more unusual than not. And personally I would have said something to dumber and dumber who snuck under the ropes.

Where I'm from people tend to get worked up about jacka**es like this.

Unfortunately this thread has gone from helpful hints to lessons on manners.

One tip I might give, especially for new cruisers, is if you find a ship you enjoy but would like to try new routes, look for the same class of ship on another route. Having experienced a ship before puts you lightyears ahead of the newbies who stop to look at the ships maps, those who wander the ship, and those with applications.

Edited by The C
Lets get back on topic

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

Don't know if it's a cultural thing, but it's something I wouldn't do, especially since it's just the two of us. Maybe the the people who are saving tables are doing so for older cruisers and or/kids?

On to the subject a hand. The purser's desk will be happy to punch a hole in your Seapass card if you wish to keep it on a lanyard.

I have to give credit to my youngest daughter. When first getting on ship go to main dinng room and check out where you are sitting E.G. near door to kitchen (last cruise) , too near waiter station (always getting bumped into) in the corner etc.. Go to maitre d and get changed.

I would love to have the RCCL or shipmate app but I have a blackberry and nothing of this nature seems to be available to us. I have searched under RCCL and shipmate but with not luck. Anyone else have a blackberry and been able to find a good app?

Thanks so much for all the helpful tips guys. I have been copying and pasting like crazy to my cruise folder. Love It!!!

Where I was raised, it was called cutting in line. On our last RCI cruise, in the Salad bar in the MDR, a lady from the table where were were sitting actually cut in line. She started behind me, but all of a sudden she was in front of me. I guess she managed to convince the waiter to swap bowls. She was on the outside of the table, but dithering so I ended up ahead of her in line, but returning to the table, I had to scramble behind her to get to my seat. The whole situation was probably embarrassing to the waiter and to me.

That was day two of being tied to the dock, and people were edgier than usual. Never saw her again, so I hope she was one of the eight hundred to jump ship that night.

Edited by knittinggirl

What do you do when you only want one thing in say a salad line. Do you excuse yourself and reach and get it? or stand in line and wait until the line gets to the one thing you want? Say a radish. Or a roll, or some butter?

I tend to excuse myself and reach, but don't know if this is correct either.

I agree with several of the people who stated its a cultural difference. Most likely brought on by the fact that buffet style restaurants in most of the USA (I've lived in Miami and Cleveland, and visited places all over) you're seated first by the restaurant host/hostess or instructed to find your table, then either you are provided plates to start or pickup plates at the food stations. This naturally carries over to the ship especially since there are no 'given' rules other than the obvious don't fight.

Rule of thumb is simply, the departure port will determine 90% of the time what the overwhelming population of the pax on the ship will be. Be prepared to follow the traditions and culture for those people.

I know the original poster didn't mean to offend, however it's quite difficult to not come off as offensive (especially in our ridiculously PC world) when you make any comment that includes the words 'quite rude' and a specific nationality.

Great post The C

The norm in the uk is that you join a queque and wait your turn whilst bearing a stiff upper lip. Unfortunately some do queque jump wherever you happen to be. But all you have say is "excuse me there's a queque and you are at the back of it" as I've done on a number of occasions. Most become sheepish and walk away. Those that don't, are shown up as arrogant tw!!s. Except if getting on a busy train or bus of course, when it's a total free for all.

If the WJ is busy, either me or Mrs Wasser will find a table first, same as the locals do, so what's the problem?

I am British and we definitely grab a table before going up to the buffet. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. It simply isn't practical not to find somewhere to sit first so that the adults can go and get the kids' food first. Actually having sailed on a British cruise line (P&O), I would say the majority of people find themselves a table then take it in turns to go up to the buffet (incuding couples), when it is busy at least. I don't think this is a cultural British vs American situation. Having been on AoS earlier in the year I have to say RCI were good at turning tables and getting people to sit together. The fact they were quick to serve people with drinks at their table at breakfast helped to seep things up, and is something other lines could learn from.

Will I cut a queue if the person in front of me is dithering and can't decide what they want and is spending an age reading the label and poking at the food - yes I will! A polite 'excuse me' will usually suffice. It is not about pushing in but more about common sense and keeping things moving when it is necessary at busy times.

This thread started out as a quest for secrets to maximize your enjoyment as a novice cruiser and 5 pages later it is something different, as most blogs tend to do.

Here is a tip from a frequent cruiser, but also a citizen of an island visited by many cruisers.

You are only on the ship for around 168 hours with folks from all over the world and in todays times, with many different circumstances. Realizing this we have decided to focus on maximizing our time by moving into Caribbean Time Mode.

We are forced into this mode from Nov to June every year as many ships descend on our small island making normal movement back and forth to work grueling at 5:00pm when all the taxis head back to Havensight.

Caribbean Time Mode means moving with the flow but in own zone. We refuse to be moved to the dark side because of other folks actions.

Make the 168 hours memorable.

OK OK so we must all remember... We're on vacation! Relax & enjoy. If all I want is a roll, I squeeze in between and ask politely if I can just grab a roll, always remembering to say please, thank you & smile.

As for hints!!!

1. Pack a surge protector for all your gadgets that need charging.

2. If traveling w/ kids pack a nightlight.

3. Bring a travel alarm clock. I've tried to use my iPhone alarm but can get tricky w/ time zone changes.

4. I bring a portable water bottle rather than drinking 4 cups in the WJ.

5. Portofino &/or Chops is available for platinum members+ for dining in the WJ on freedom class & voyager class. Have not sailed on oasis yet.

6. YES Carpet is different colors on port & starboard sides of the ship. For instance. If you are standing in the forward elevator bank/staircase & look left the Hallway carpet may be navy & when you look right it's light green. When you are in the aft bank the hallways may be pink & light green. CAREFUL don't get confused because one of the colors will repeat itself. It WILL however be diagonal. I.e... The green may be forward port & then aft starboard. It does help!!!!

Will send more hints tomorrow!

I had to bring up the topic of grabbing a table at the buffet during our family Thanksgiving dinner. We all had no idea that getting a table before going to the buffet would be offensive to anyone. We all agreed that if we went to any eating establishment and were not guaranteed a place to sit, that we would leave and go somewhere else. But it is interesting to learn of the cultural differences. I remember my first time eating in a London restaurant back in 1980 - my mother and I were seated and shortly after, they seated two more people at our table. We were flabbergasted to have to share our table. It was during the lunch hour rush. Talk about culture shock :eek: Oh well, as they say, "When in Rome". :D

1. If you are on the promenade on a voyager class ship & see the promenade room on deck six that a has a view of the Ben & Jerrys cabooses (your stateroom gets free ice cream daily!) Not sure which cabin # exactly.

2. If you like the grand marnier souffles ( which are no longer on the menu) ask your head waiter if your table can have them on a particular day i.e. (Someone celebrating) they will do it!

3. Bring a laundry bag, extra ziplock bags. Things like sunblock & batteries should be brought from home. They are costly on board.

4. Sit in the rear of the theatre, you will be one of the first ones out & don't get stuck bottlenecking. OR After shows, muster drill& ice skating go outside for a walk elevators are hard to come by.

5. Don't hog poolside loungers!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sign up for crown & anchor if you havent already. Book your appts with the crown & anchor desks early. They fill up quickly towards the end of the sailing.

7. When strolling to breakfast peek in other types of cabins if housekeeping has propped their doors open to see what they look like.

8. Do as much or as little as you want. Its your vacation.

9. If someone made an impact on our cruise or went out of their way to help you, acknowledge them. They work so hard.

10. Lastly.... Sometimes the quickest way to get on a elevator going up is to go down..... And vice versa!

ENJOY!

Only in America...Oh how wrong you are! Travel in Europe or Asia - lines don't exist. Try lining up and you instantly find other more agressive people in front of you. I learned when traveling in European Airports if you aren't somewhat agressive - you are going to miss your flight.

ITA. I've met more rude people in Europe than in the US. Same thing happened to us at the Frankfort airport plus we were on a Mediterranean cruise and the Europeans on the ship would not respect the lines at all. They were constantly cutting in front of people to get on the elevators or to disembark at a port.