Opt Out Day Fizzles

paul929207

A classic example of how the "media" latch onto something put out on the Internet by some self-appointed guru who may have no real following, and turn it into 24/7 headlines for a few days. Next week it will be on to some other lunatic with absolutely no credibility.

Local news is saying that ONE person opted out at DFW.

Although I am far from happy about the various details of going through TSA security, I put up with it and don't complain.

It is like Texas summers: happens and there is nothing you can do about it.

It appears that all the people wanting to Opt Out are not flying today.

That is not totally true. I wanted to opt out but I was not "randomly" selected. In fact, I saw a very small number of people "randomly" selected to go through the scanner where I departed from. So it means either:

a. those who wanted to opt out didn't have a chance (like me)

or

b. the TSA greatly reduced the number of those selected to go through the scanner, thus avoiding any chaos and laying the groundwork for statements like yours

or

c. there were not as many people who opted out as some thought.

I honestly think it is a combination of all three. I will continue to opt out if I am selected.

:D

I'm not opting out. In fact looking forward to it. With my body type, I WANT to see the TSA people get grossed out. :p Serves em right.

Actually, thinking back on it, I should feel sorry for them. They're just trying to do their jobs and feed their families like everyone else. They don't make the day to day decisions. :(

I'm not opting out. In fact looking forward to it. With my body type, I WANT to see the TSA people get grossed out. Serves em right.

Please let us know if you see them getting grossed out at your Nude-O-Scope picture. You shouldn't because they are supposed to be in a separate room where no one else sees them (not even you).

Please let us know if you see them getting grossed out at your Nude-O-Scope picture. You shouldn't because they are supposed to be in a separate room where no one else sees them (not even you).

I was being facetious on the part about that.

Not being facetious about taking your ( not literally yours (frugal) but the traveling public) frustrations out on the people working the security lanes.

Do we really think that the TSA workers look forward to doing an enhanced pat down on 98% of the traveling public? :eek:

I was being facetious on the part about that.

Not being facetious about taking your ( not literally yours (frugal) but the traveling public) frustrations out on the people working the security lanes.

Do we really think that the TSA workers look forward to doing an enhanced pat down on 98% of the traveling public? :eek:

Nothing to do with taking out frustrations. I am not for virtual strip searches, period. No need for enhanced patdowns for 98% of the traveling public. Opting out is voluntary (at least for now). My guess is that this is just a first step toward BOTH virtual strip searches AND patdowns. Remember what Ronald Reagan said, "I am from the government and I am here to help you." Yeah, right!

That is not totally true. I wanted to opt out but I was not "randomly" selected. In fact, I saw a very small number of people "randomly" selected to go through the scanner where I departed from. So it means either:

a. those who wanted to opt out didn't have a chance (like me)

or

b. the TSA greatly reduced the number of those selected to go through the scanner, thus avoiding any chaos and laying the groundwork for statements like yours

or

c. there were not as many people who opted out as some thought.

I honestly think it is a combination of all three. I will continue to opt out if I am selected.

You will opt out and miss your flight? Bet you don't!!

People did not opt out because they don't want to lose the air fare, cruise, or other planned vacations.

Big talk little action.

People did not opt out because they don't want to lose the air fare, cruise, or other planned vacations.

Big talk little action.

I agree. It was just a lot of hot air from people who weren't even flying.

Big talk little action.

Huh? I never mentioned missing a flight. I am always at the airport early so very little chance of me missing a flight. And it takes 3-4 minutes for a patdown vs. 1 minute for the nude-o-scope. Means 2-3 minutes less waiting at the gate :D

And the bet is on. I wouldn't mind missing a flight if it came to that. What are you betting and how do I contact you to collect on your bet?

So many machines at so many airports shut the machines off. One week from now, it will be as bad as before. machines will be up and running and invasive patdowns will be in full force. It was a smart move on TSA's part, to milk the numbers going through with no trouble. Don't think for a moment it won't be as bad as before. I guess they think we are all stupid.

So many machines at so many airports shut the machines off. One week from now, it will be as bad as before. machines will be up and running and invasive patdowns will be in full force. It was a smart move on TSA's part, to milk the numbers going through with no trouble. Don't think for a moment it won't be as bad as before.

What I alluded to in point B in my first post above.

I guess they think we are all stupid.

They and some on this thread :D

Would you rather have the security they use in Israel?

What we have now and what El Al uses are fortunately not the only two options.

Have you gone through Israeli security? I have. No nude-o-scopes and no groping. One thing they use is behavior profiling. Unfortunately the US is too "politically correct" to use something so ingenious as that!

What we have now and what El Al uses are fortunately not the only two options.

Have you gone through Israeli security? I have. No nude-o-scopes and no groping. One thing they use is behavior profiling. Unfortunately the US is too "politically correct" to use something so ingenious as that!

The reality is that the USA carries a signfiicantly greater number of passengers each and every day compared to Israel. Yes, there are always lessons to be learned and Israel security is certainly one to learn from but we are also talking about a major difference in the volume of passengers.

I am not sure what the concern is over added security. I may be in the minority on this but I am quite willing to do whatever is necessary if this will ensure a safe flight. And if I am not, I will not fly.

When we left London a few years ago at around the time there was significantly heightened security we were searched at two different check points. And at one of them a person gave me and many others a complete body check. Yes, it was the most evasive check we had ever had. Not something that I was thrilled about but at the same time I would rather they do this and prevent a catastrophic event than not be thorough and a countless number of lives will be lost.

Keith

As I commented in another thread, TSA needs to follow the lead of credit bureaus. They take your historic and current credit patterns and compare them against a behavior template to create a risk assessment. They do this on millions of people performing billions of transactions every day- far larger numbers than air travelers. And, race never factors into credit scores (they would be in severe trouble if they ever did so).

So, when you make a reservation TSA should use your historic and upcoming travel and assign a risk rating (just like a FICO score). The appropriate actions are taken at the security checkpoint. Low-risk goes though an express lane (no shoe removal, patdowns, etc). High risk gets the "works". There should be some randomness...a "green flag" pax should occasionally be red-flagged.

The current model assigns equal risk to a terrorist, Grandma, and everyone walking up to the airport checkpoint; risk should be known before they leave home for the airport.

There, my novice 2c worth..:)

Related note, Smartertravel.com posted an article yesterday where they interviewed 5 private terrorism/security experts. They all said the current TSA model is folly. Several said that sooner or later a body cavity bomber will be successful and that will be the wake-up call to shift to some form of behavioral profiling.

As I commented in another thread, TSA needs to follow the lead of credit bureaus. They take your historic and current credit patterns and compare them against a behavior template to create a risk assessment. They do this on millions of people performing billions of transactions every day- far larger numbers than air travelers. And, race never factors into credit scores (they would be in severe trouble if they ever did so).

So, when you make a reservation TSA should use your historic and upcoming travel and assign a risk rating (just like a FICO score). The appropriate actions are taken at the security checkpoint. Low-risk goes though an express lane (no shoe removal, patdowns, etc). High risk gets the "works". There should be some randomness...a "green flag" pax should occasionally be red-flagged.

The current model assigns equal risk to a terrorist, Grandma, and everyone walking up to the airport checkpoint; risk should be known before they leave home for the airport.

There, my novice 2c worth..:)

Related note, Smartertravel.com posted an article yesterday where they interviewed 5 private terrorism/security experts. They all said the current TSA model is folly. Several said that sooner or later a body cavity bomber will be successful and that will be the wake-up call to shift to some form of behavioral profiling.

So how would they know it was a body cavity bomber after the fact?

A classic example of how the "media" latch onto something put out on the Internet by some self-appointed guru who may have no real following, and turn it into 24/7 headlines for a few days. Next week it will be on to some other lunatic with absolutely no credibility.

I saw on the news the other day, an interview with that guru/organizer. I wasn't a bit surprised to learn that he already had plans to drive to his Thanksgiving destination. How committed was he to want to gum up the works on a day when he knew he wouldn't be impacted anyhow??? :(

One word comes to mind 'DWEEB'

The reality is that the USA carries a signfiicantly greater number of passengers each and every day compared to Israel. Yes, there are always lessons to be learned and Israel security is certainly one to learn from but we are also talking about a major difference in the volume of passengers.

Guess you read too fast, since I never suggested or even hinted that we should adopt the Israeli system.

I am not sure what the concern is over added security. I may be in the minority on this but I am quite willing to do whatever is necessary if this will ensure a safe flight. And if I am not, I will not fly.

I assume you fly rarely if at all nowadays then. As another poster stated above, many of the antics employed today by the US really are not all that effective. And NOTHING, repeat nothing, will 100% absolutely ensure a safe flight.

When we left London a few years ago at around the time there was significantly heightened security we were searched at two different check points. And at one of them a person gave me and many others a complete body check. Yes, it was the most evasive check we had ever had. Not something that I was thrilled about but at the same time I would rather they do this and prevent a catastrophic event than not be thorough and a countless number of lives will be lost.

LOL. Evasive? You wouldn't have been able to fly. I think you mean invasive :D

Archived