Opinion Wanted... Lanai Room on Rotterdam

mikjr

we've booked a cruise on the Rotterdam in one of the Lanai rooms. They look great... opening up on to the promenade deck.

Yes, I realize there is foot traffic, but I'd be interested to hear opinions and thoughts from anyone who has had the Lanai rooms on a cruise.

thanks

we've booked a cruise on the Rotterdam in one of the Lanai rooms. They look great... opening up on to the promenade deck.

Yes, I realize there is foot traffic, but I'd be interested to hear opinions and thoughts from anyone who has had the Lanai rooms on a cruise.

thanks

There is a review of these staterooms, with photos of them here from September 2010 given by Trophy_23: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/index.html

Joanie

I haven't stayed in one, but visited in a lanai cabin on the Veendam, and am familiar with the layout.

First, the room is smaller than other outside cabins, which makes room for the promenade outside. I believe it has one less closet than the other outsides; it has the same number as the insides.

Next, since there is now a sliding door, the bed is lined up against the inside wall, which cuts down on available space. The desk itself is quite small, and has little room on top. In addition, it has no drawers in it. The inside cabin across the passageway has three large drawers in the desk.

It's a tight fit between the foot of the bed and the sliding door, but it is manageable.

The "up" side is that you get lots of light, as well as easy access to outdoors. You have two reserved deck chairs for your own use.

There is a review of these staterooms, with photos of them here from September 2010 given by Trophy_23: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Rotterdam/index.html

Joanie

Thanks Joanie, but just a slight correction. We were in a DD on the Lower Promenade and really loved it. We did however see a couple Lanai cabins and spoke with many people that had Lanai's and they all had great things to say! I did post some pictures and a review of our DD, and I think there are some pictures of a Lanai on Joanie's site. We loved the ability to just get right out on deck, even though we had to go down the hall 2 cabins and out it was still very convenient.

First, the room is smaller than other outside cabins, which makes room for the promenade outside.

Actually, from what I read on the HAL site, the Lanai rooms are 197 sq ft, same as other outside cabins:

Ocean view - 197 sq ft

Interior - 182 sq ft

The only rooms larger are the Veranda Suites at 292 sq ft

Actually, from what I read on the HAL site, the Lanai rooms are 197 sq ft, same as other outside cabins:

I won't dispute that you read that; I'm certain you did. However, that is not the case. There are a few instances of the HAL website not listing the correct cabin size for a few unusual cabin categories.

The lanai cabins are not a great deal smaller, but they are smaller than other outside cabins. That was true before they were converted to lanai. It feels moreso now, with the reconfiguration of the furniture.

Well, I am happy to report that I have stayed in one and loved, loved, loved it. Have no idea what others are talking about here about it being smaller and so forth; not to worry, it is a dream!!!!

Fantastic opportunity. Take it if you can.:)

I won't dispute that you read that; I'm certain you did. However, that is not the case. There are a few instances of the HAL website not listing the correct cabin size for a few unusual cabin categories.

The lanai cabins are not a great deal smaller, but they are smaller than other outside cabins. That was true before they were converted to lanai. It feels moreso now, with the reconfiguration of the furniture.

Well Ruth... with 20,000+ posts, I have a feeling you are correct. I know from experience that the websites are not always correct!

mike

Well, I am happy to report that I have stayed in one and loved, loved, loved it. Have no idea what others are talking about here about it being smaller and so forth; not to worry, it is a dream!!!!

Fantastic opportunity. Take it if you can.:)

Suse... thanks for the feedback. I was hoping someone that actually stayed in one would comment. It's one thing to see it, but another to actually stay in one and experience a cabin for yourself.

I'm sure they are not for everyone, given the fact of the exposure and foot traffic.

We did go ahead and book a 30 day to Panama and South America... so after that period of time, we'll either love it or hate it :D

Well Ruth... with 20,000+ posts, I have a feeling you are correct. I know from experience that the websites are not always correct!

My post count doesn't count on this. My many times spent in inside cabins across the passageway from the outsides (which became lanais), my time in an outside on that deck, and my times in outsides on Main Deck, however, do count. I've been there.

On Veendam disembarkation day in October I wandered over to the lanai across the passageway, and checked it out pretty well. I examined the bathroom, counted the closets, and was amazed at the small desk with no drawers.

Now, don't get me wrong---it's a nice enough cabin. It's just that, as with many cabins, there are pros and cons. If the pros outweigh the cons for you, then it's a good choice. If not, then it isn't. Simple as that.

Now, don't get me wrong---it's a nice enough cabin. It's just that, as with many cabins, there are pros and cons. If the pros outweigh the cons for you, then it's a good choice. If not, then it isn't. Simple as that.

As they say Ruth... only time will tell. We have a year and a few months to think about it, and then after that, we'll know for sure.

A few cruises back we had a window room on the promenade and didn't mind the foot traffic. If I ever caught anyone looking in, I'd just "flash" them :eek:

We had a lanai cabin on one of the first ships to have them. We enjoyed the location as well as the cabin but it did seem smaller than any OV cabin. I think it is the arrangement as well as the actual footage. To my way of thinking, I have never had a cabin that I did not like. Just bring them on!!

We were on the Veendam for the 28 day Rio to FLL Amazon River cruise in March and had Lanai stateroom 322. We loved it and found it to be a very good substitute for the much higher priced veranda staterooms. As has been pointed out, it is smaller than the verandah but we hrdly noticed it after we got used to the mini-couch. Here is how IU reported on it in a previous post:

What we liked most about the lanai was the quick access to the lower promenade deck and the view from inside. The view is better than with a verandah because the partitions on the verandah limits the view width. Also, it is a great cabin for people watching either from inside or outside! During daylight you can't see into the lanai’s at all. And it is great for visiting with fellow cruisers. After a few days we had no difficulty using the chairs assigned to us. We turned the ends up to display the sign saying the chairs were reserved and they were always vacant. I did a small survey to gage the impact of the reserved chairs. On the port side there were 85 lounge chairs and 18 lanai cabins. So 49 loungers were available for others.

Dan

918937833_1.Room322.JPG.05d97eed01de5b59c131d600af3cfe73.JPG

182401214_2.Room322.JPG.816646cbfbd436a495d42de896174de0.JPG

33214403_3.Viewfrom322.JPG.6e597dbea683874305e871837e57a0aa.JPG

328202788_4.Ourloungers.JPG.819ac94dbfed6664f4a7ed316d1f3594.JPG

933008412_5.Happycruisers!.JPG.96120ed8c2b0e4d7e66053c6674b1381.JPG

My aunt and uncle had a lanai cabin on our August 21st Alaska sailing this year on the Rotterdam. Worked well if you spend time outside your cabin - otherwise it is a bit tight (compared to a standard outside cabin). The easy access to the Promendae Deck was great - we had a great time viewing the glaciers while in the comfort (and heat!) of their room while having lunch. I think it does offer a great price/value when compared to a true verandah cabin. If you don't want to spend on a verandah, this is a good alternative!

Archived