July 2 and/or July 9, 2011 - Star Clipper

LTCOP

We are booked for both of these cruises and am hoping there are other CCers going along:-) This will be our first Star Clipper cruise, but we have been on many Princess and HAL cruises. We are really excited to try this experience and can't wait to go!!! By the way - does anyone know if Star Clippers allows you to bring wine on board that you buy in port?

Pam

• 2 months later...

Hi Meldreth!

Hopefully, we'll find someone for our cruises:-)

I finally got our air to Athens booked. We have always used Delta for our European flights, but for some reason they are so expensive this year! So we are using U.S. Air and got a decent price. We will have to connect twice before we leave the U.S., but we have good times. We have decided to fly in a day early and stay a day later in Athens than we had planned also. This way we won't have any worries about making a late morning flight. Darn it - I hate to have to eat another in Athens looking up at the Acropolis:-)!!!

Meldreth,

Now I just have to book our flights to and from Santorini. We are staying there for 4 days before. There are only 2 airlines to choose from, but I keep watching for a good price:-) I think I like stressing myself out about watching for prices:-) I did book our hotel in Athens for a day at the beginning and a day at the end, so one more thing done.

We are in the middle of a blizzard here. It is huge and engulfing 30 states! We were sent home from school early today and I do not think we will be going anywhere tomorrow. The wind is blowing and the snow is flying. A great day to be planning for a warm weather cruise!

Pam

Meldreth,

I think you are right!:-) Too bad we are not on the same ship!

We have mostly recovered from the blizzard. We ended up with 2 1/2 days off of school. (I teach high school special education), so we will have to make up the days in May, but I must admit that it was wonderful being home for a few days! We are flying on Friday for 4 days in Key West, Florida. We have Friday off from school and I am taking 2 of my personal days for this very short trip. We have been there twice as a cruise stop, but never stayed there, so looking forward to spending time there. I just hope the weather cooperates, so we can get out of Iowa and that it is warm there. They have had some cool weather in Florida this year.

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Meldreth!

I feel like I have not been on here for such a long time!!! My mom has been very sick with a virus that caused fluid to build around her heart and then we had our 4-day trip to Key West. Mom is home and doing better now, but it was stressful for a while. Key West was just wonderful! We stayed in a lovely place, ate way too much delicious food and had sun for 2 of our 4 days:-)

Maybe you are off for your trip???

Pam

Hi Meldreth!

I feel like I have not been on here for such a long time!!! My mom has been very sick with a virus that caused fluid to build around her heart and then we had our 4-day trip to Key West. Mom is home and doing better now, but it was stressful for a while. Key West was just wonderful! We stayed in a lovely place, ate way too much delicious food and had sun for 2 of our 4 days:-)

Maybe you are off for your trip???

Pam

Hi, yes we go this week - yipeee! It is cold and grey here in UK and seems to have been like this for days :( I've got the log burner blazing away to keep us warm and the central heating on. Off to be beautified for our trip tomorrow and then to finish packing........ can't wait to see some sunshine. It's 25 C in Lanzarote today!

I know just how you feel about the winter!!! Boy has it been a long one! And the sun has been in short supply around here too:-)

Have a safe and on-time flight and I can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back!

Pam

Thanks for your best wishes! The flight takes us 4 hours, we have to be at Stansted at 06.40 am, so an early start....... :rolleyes: Will report back when we return and give you an update. By that time we may have found some additional passengers for our cruise!!

We just booked the July 2 Star Clipper out of Athens! Returning to this wonderful line for the first time since our honeymoon in '94 (did a Cannes itinerary then) and going to be adventurous -- taking our 7 and 10 year old children! Would love to hear if any other kids will happen to be on board.

Welcome to the roll call letsgomets! Glad to have someone else on the roll call! Isn't this a great itinerary?!!! It's our first time on Star Clippers, although we've cruised quite a bit on other lines.

We have 5 kids, but the oldest is 21, so won't be bringing them with us:-)

Are you staying in Athens pre-cruise?

Pam

Well i'm back ltcop and I see you've found a new shipmate!! We left Lanzarote yesterday in 25 degrees C, and got back to England 3 degrees - it was a bit of a shock!!

Maybe we'll find some other cruisers joining either the Clipper or the Flyer same time a us?!!

Welcome to the roll call letsgomets! Glad to have someone else on the roll call! Isn't this a great itinerary?!!! It's our first time on Star Clippers, although we've cruised quite a bit on other lines.

We have 5 kids, but the oldest is 21, so won't be bringing them with us:-)

Are you staying in Athens pre-cruise?

Pam

We agree that it is an excellent itinerary -- we actually rearranged our summer to do this one. Still figuring out our specific plans, but I think we're likely going to spend a few days on an island pre-cruise (perhaps Crete) and then a few days in Athens after the cruise.

Welcome back Meldreth!

That trip sure went fast - even for me! What a temperature shock coming home!:-) At least it is March and it has to be close to improving for both of us - right? Although it was snowing her today, but at least it did not stick!

So how was the place that you stayed? How was the food? I'm guessing Lanzarote has wonderful fish? Did you mostly relax on the beach or do some touring?

Pam

Hi Letsgomets! (I'm guessing your are a Mets fan:-)

Crete looks like a great place to spend a few days! We have not gotten to visit that island yet, but hope to!!! Do you have flights booked yet?

We are going to do one night in Athens and then go to Santorini for 4 days - before the cruise. We've been there twice for cruise stops, but never gotten to stay there. I'm so excited!!! It is gorgeous!!! So we are flying out on June 26. We also have a night in Athens after the 2 cruises. We've have spent a few days in Athens a few years ago, but of course, only scratched the surface. We won't have a lot of time, but are certainly hoping to see the new Acropolis Museum that was not open on our previous trip.

Pam

We haven't locked in any plans yet. Going to be in Europe before and after the cruise - a nice long summer vacation. We have our transatlantic plane tix already but nothing yet locally. Hoping to within the next week or so. So we might tinker with our plans a day or two here or there, but I think Crete before the cruise then Athens and the environs afterwards is looking more and more likely.

And good guess regarding my baseball affiliations! I think this will be a good summer to be away from watching the team.

Hi Letsgomets!

I have not purchased our flights for Santorini yet either. I've had the hotel booked for a long time, but the flights cost more than I hoped they would and kept hoping they might drop. But with fuel prices, I'm guessing that's not too likely to happen. Why does it always seem that the day and time you want to fly, is also the day and time that cost the most?:-)

Pam

LTCOP, it's the same whenever you run out of heating oil..... it's always when oil prices are high! We just had to buy some 58.5p per litre, that's a lot of money to fill up our 1200 litre tank - oh the joys of living in the back of beyond!!!

Hi Meldreth!

Do you live in the country? Since you said about living in the back of beyond:-) We do. Mike farms - corn and beans. And we also have to fill that tank - but here in the midwest - it's liquid propane or natural gas. No heating oil, although I think it's used on the east coast.

Pam

Archived