Waverunner, hard to use?

pennywaltz

So I am going on NCL and we're stopping at Great Stirrup Cay. I read the excursion for the waverunner. I don't know how to swim.. and never been on a waverunner. are waverunners hard to use? It mentioned that I will have a lifejacket and wetsuit.

Anyone have any experience or insight?

So I am going on NCL and we're stopping at Great Stirrup Cay. I read the excursion for the waverunner. I don't know how to swim.. and never been on a waverunner. are waverunners hard to use? It mentioned that I will have a lifejacket and wetsuit.

Anyone have any experience or insight?

If you don't know how to ride a waverunner I suggest you don't start learning in these waters. Waverunners are not toys, and there are serious accidents all the time....even fatal.

Please don't use these busy waters as a training ground.

I don't think they are hard to handle, but if the waters are a bit choppy or rough, it can be a little disconcerting. DH doesn't know how to swim and had never been on one before. The first time he did it, he nervously started out slow and stayed as close as he could to shore. He enjoyed it so much that we did it again at the next port. He got on it and rode it like he had been doing it for years. And here I am a really good swimmer, scared to death. LOL!

With that being said, I do agree that it is not a toy and you must be careful. Ask a lot of questions of the operator and don't feel like you have go really fast and do tricks. Go at your own pace and enjoy. You must also have a bit of adventure in you to even get out there and try it. If my DH can do it, you can too.

We did the waverunner tour in Grand Cayman 2 weeks ago, and I must admit, it was much more physically demanding than I thought it would be, and I was the PASSENGER!

We are in our mid-forties, and have ridden snowmobiles and motorcycles all of our lives. This was the first time on waverunners.

The sea was somewhat choppy once we got away from land, and the guide that we had was really booking along quite fast!

My husband said that he really needed to keep up the speed, or else the waverunner would get tipped over by the waves.

It was fun, and I'm glad we did it once, but it was also scarey enough that I wouldn't do it again. Also, the four of us were all sore the next day, and we had "road rash" on our legs from the salt water. (we did not have wet suits to wear!)

It's up to you, but I think you need to be in decent physical shape to do this type of activity.

If you don't know how to ride a waverunner I suggest you don't start learning in these waters. Waverunners are not toys, and there are serious accidents all the time....even fatal.

Please don't use these busy waters as a training ground.

I really do have to agree....

Archived