Catalina Island Pictures

AngelKappie

Hi Everyone!!!!

I thought you might enjoy pictures from the island! I LOVE when CC members post pictures of ports I will be going to! So I thought I would for you all who are interested!

LOVED this island! BEAUTIUFUL!!!!!!!

If your ship is not tendering there and you do the excursion to go over to the island than I recommend you take your own drinks and food off the ship cheaper this way and you know you have safe water and drink! Unless you hear more about info on this from someone else on here. The ship does not serve food or drinks on this island if you take tender to the island from La Romana

here they are: :D

154839_1723044476474_1249200719_1935455_2768256_n.jpg

155693_1723044876484_1249200719_1935456_877371_n.jpg

155872_1723053436698_1249200719_1935480_2335667_n.jpg

77110_1723054436723_1249200719_1935484_204602_n.jpg

That was a beautiful day. Nice pictures! You almost got my family in your pics. We were just a bit to the left.:) It's funny, my photos have many of the same people in them. I wish we had met that day.

Thanks!

WOW funny!!! That would of been nice!!!! to bad!!!

LOVED that beach!!!

Thanks for posting, we are going to be there in January on the Miracle and there is so little information.

What ship were you on??

Nice to see your photos!

Jan

We were on the Miracle!!! We docked in La Romana, DR and took the ferry over to Catalina Island, it was $69pp through Carnival, BUT worth it! Beautiful place! Sounds like you are tendering there? IF so you will not have to pay to get there! You are LUCKY! You might even get served food from Carnival off the island for free! Don't know this for sure though! You will have to check this out! This island is owned by Holland Cruise lines!!!

Have a great time there! We sure did! Even though we only got to spend 3 hours there, it was GREAT! :D

We were on the Miracle!!! We docked in La Romana, DR and took the ferry over to Catalina Island, it was $69pp through Carnival, BUT worth it! Beautiful place! Sounds like you are tendering there? IF so you will not have to pay to get there! You are LUCKY! You might even get served food from Carnival off the island for free! Don't know this for sure though! You will have to check this out! This island is owned by Holland Cruise lines!!!

Have a great time there! We sure did! Even though we only got to spend 3 hours there, it was GREAT! :D

we were there 2 weeks ago on Costa Atlantica. looks like Carnival and Costa share facilities if you notice the color of the umbrellas. Costa uses it as a private island it seems, and anchors off the coast and tenders. they brought 1/2 their gally staff and served a (free) hamberger/hotdog buffet plus had full bars set up. there was not free activities like you would get at an all-inclusive but some local guys were offering p4p boat rides. snorkling gear was available for rent and a dj was playing and people were dancing in an area. we really enjoyed relaxing on catalina

Was there food and drinks available for purchase. I am assuming so since you mentioned saving money by bringing your own to the island. Must have been pricey huh?

Jan

There was a buffet meal being served. Consisted of grilled meat (?jerk chicken and pork), pasta salad, yucca (very good), peas and rice, fresh fruit and veggies. We were first quoted $25 per person. We walked away from that. Another man came after us and lowered it to $15 each. This did not include a drink. We paid the $15 and did enjoy the food though it was still expensive. There was also fresh grilled lobster for an additional $18.

Thanks for all the info. You have no idea how helpful it is....Its been hard "planning" this port since we had no information from Carnival cruisers really, only the Costa cruisers who are enjoying this as a private island retreat including food. As a crazed "planner" I have been struggling with this lack of info!!!

We still do not know if Carnival will be offering food or what. We are tendering in so that's nice...listed as Catalina Island as the port of call not La Romana so I am hopeful it will be like a Costa private island day.

Totally outside my norm, but I'm going to challenge myself and "wing it" (really you laugh, but this is really, really tough for us planner type people!) at and have a great beach day no matter what happens! Oy!

Jan

Okay zukeeper...you must promise....from one planner to another....to let us know what Carnival does at Catalina Island!

I'm a big time planner too, and this is making me a bit crazy! We don't sail til February 23, so if you could come back to this forum and let us know what happens, it will be appreciated!

Susan

Totally outside my norm, but I'm going to challenge myself and "wing it" (really you laugh, but this is really, really tough for us planner type people!) at and have a great beach day no matter what happens! Oy!

Jan

It will be a GREAT beach day. Plus either way the locals will have plenty of junk to buy if you need so DR stuff for the collection.

• 2 weeks later...

We still do not know if Carnival will be offering food or what. We are tendering in so that's nice...listed as Catalina Island as the port of call not La Romana so I am hopeful it will be like a Costa private island day.

I contacted Carnival regarding this a few weeks ago, as I was curious as well (due to very little info out there w/regard to Carnival). Here is what I asked:

I am curious as to what Carnival does at the Catalina Island stop. Is it like Half Moon Cay, where there is a full lunch set up on the island? It is pretty much just a beach stop... right? Can you use your S&S card there for drinks, or are there simply private vendors?

Here was the reply (channeled from Malcolm Burn, the Miracle cruise director):

Yes,

It’s a Half-moon Island Set up. Private and S&S used when we stop there.

... so, it would appear that they serve FOOD! :)

Tom

thanks Tom - we too like so many are starving for info on this stop. this is good news:)

I just hope it's correct! :eek:

It would be nice to hear a report from people who have had that as their primary stop on the Miracle.

See you in FOUR weeks!! (were you planning on coming to the Meet-n-Greet?)

Tom

Okay zukeeper...you must promise....from one planner to another....to let us know what Carnival does at Catalina Island!

I'm a big time planner too, and this is making me a bit crazy! We don't sail til February 23, so if you could come back to this forum and let us know what happens, it will be appreciated!

Susan

I promise!! I was encouraged by reading Tom's post! I was hoping it would be a private island day - nice!

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Back from another fabulous cruise!!!!

I am still getting unpacked and haven't even started to get my review together BUT...promised a few of you I would report back right away on Catalina Island.

As you recall this was as scheduled stop on this Miracle itinerary, not a scheduled stop in La Romana with excursions to Catalina Island.

Our itinerary clearly states Catalina Island as a port/stop.

And YIPEEE it was a private island day!!

Tender over, ride is short...ship is anchored just off shore. The beach area is very nice as pictured above. Started out with only a few people but later in the day it was packed once the excursions returned.

There were vendors along the beach in a straw market type area selling the typical island stuff. Cash. They did not and were not allowed to roam the beach and drive you nuts to buy things. Did not speak very good english and some were struggling with communication. I used a blend of spanish and english...worked for me! I love a good deal in any language, dickering is fun!

A few vendors that were doing banana boat rides and water skiing for extra cost. Again, cash. And they also negotiated price.

There were hair braiders in a certain area you had to go to them.

A very nice no charge buffet lunch including the usual burgers and dogs, but also this to die for jerk chicken! Assorted salads and sides, desert, tea, water, lemonade.

Our favorite ship bartender (Agus - make friends with this guy and he will take very good care of you:D) found us on the beach and took very good care of us there...you can use your sail card for beverages.

It was a great day....the only thing that bugged me is that when I was running/joggin on the beach security stopped me after a short run and told me I could not pass beyond his little umbrella and chair area. He could barely speak English and I could not understand WHY I couldn't go beyond that point, but oh well....it would have been a great run! Instead I had another drink :p Yea, Agus!!

Enjoy your visit to Catalina Island!!

Jan

A very nice no charge buffet lunch including the usual burgers and dogs, but also this to die for jerk chicken! Assorted salads and sides, desert, tea, water, lemonade.

Enjoy your visit to Catalina Island!!

Jan

Yep - sounds like the same deal as HMC, the Jerk Chicken there was VERY good too. Looking forward to it!! :D

Thanks,

Tom

We got robbed!!! We were on the Miracle's Christmas cruise and they stuck us in LaRomana as our port. It was filthy, scary and I never want to go back! Ya'll were lucky they charged us to be tendered to Catalina Island as an excursion and I believe the cost was 79.95 and did not include any food. I am still pissed with Carnival for stopping in this port, I would have rather skipped it altogether and had another sea day!

• 1 month later...

We are getting stuck with this port on our January Freedom cruise also. Somehow St Thomas downgraded to La Romana doesn't seem fair!! I know cruise lines have the right to change ports, but at least make it a fair exchange, not a "10" down to a "1". If I could cancel and change to a different cruise I sure would!

Archived