Queen Victoria Questions... from a First Timer

mikjr

Sorry for all the questions, this is our first on Cunard. I have searched Cunard's website and the boards, and really can't find an answers.

I understand the dining room situation... we have a Britannia Balcony, so we eat in the Britannia dining room. The question is... I've read about other restaurants on board the QV:

Todd English Restaurant

Grills Courtyard

Cafe Carinthia

Winter Garden Cafe

Queen's Grill (i'm assuming queen's suites only on this one)

Golden Lion Pub

Are we allowed in these other restaurants? and is there an up charge for dining in certain restaurants? and how much?

I'm sure the tea is great on the QV... but how's the coffee?? most of the time on Princess, because the coffee is from a syrup base, we purchase a "Coffee Card" so we can get brewed coffee or Latte's. Is there a Coffee Bar on the QV?

Besides the spa and Internet areas, are there other areas that have an extra charge?

One last item... what is the nightlife like on the QV. On many of the other cruises we've taken (Princess, HAL)... the Disco is dead at night. What can we expect on the QV.

Any thing else you can add about the QV would be nice.

Thanks in advance

Sorry for all the questions, this is our first on Cunard. I have searched Cunard's website and the boards, and really can't find an answers.

I understand the dining room situation... we have a Britannia Balcony, so we eat in the Britannia dining room. The question is... I've read about other restaurants on board the QV:

Todd English Restaurant

Supplementary charge but anyone can eat there.Requires booking though.

Grills Courtyard

Grill class passenegers only

Cafe Carinthia

Winter Garden Cafe

Above two open to anyone. Speciality coffees etc incur an extra charge though I think (not drunk them !)

You are right.

Golden Lion Pub

UK pub type food such as steak and ale pie, fish and chips, included in fare and open to everyone.

Are we allowed in these other restaurants? and is there an up charge for dining in certain restaurants? and how much?

I'm sure the tea is great on the QV... but how's the coffee?? most of the time on Princess, because the coffee is from a syrup base, we purchase a "Coffee Card" so we can get brewed coffee or Latte's. Is there a Coffee Bar on the QV?

Besides the spa and Internet areas, are there other areas that have an extra charge?

One last item... what is the nightlife like on the QV. On many of the other cruises we've taken (Princess, HAL)... the Disco is dead at night. What can we expect on the QV.

Any thing else you can add about the QV would be nice.

Thanks in advance

Hope this helps. Have a lovely time. She's a beautiful ship. I have some photos here....

http://picasaweb.google.com/sharonp40/CruiseShipsQueenVictoria#

Hi mikjr

Sorry for all the questions, this is our first on Cunard. I have searched Cunard's website and the boards, and really can't find an answers. I understand the dining room situation... we have a Britannia Balcony, so we eat in the Britannia dining room. The question is... I've read about other restaurants on board the QV:

Todd English Restaurant
Open to all, Cover charge applies, I think $20 lunch $30 dinner.
Grills Courtyard
Grills only.
Cafe Carinthia
Open to all, Coffee shop, you pay for the coffee not for the pastries/cakes.
Winter Garden Cafe
Open to all, you pay for drinks.
You're correct, Grills only.
Golden Lion Pub
Open to all, you pay for drinks not for lunchtime food (get there early).

Are we allowed in these other restaurants? and is there an up charge for dining in certain restaurants? and how much? I'm sure the tea is great on the QV... but how's the coffee?? most of the time on Princess, because the coffee is from a syrup base, we purchase a "Coffee Card" so we can get brewed coffee or Latte's. Is there a Coffee Bar on the QV?

The basic stuff is free 24/7 in the Lido. For decent stuff you have to pay in one of the bars/lounges. The "paid" coffee was fine I thought, others may disagree.

You can spend as little or as much on board as you wish. Most daily attractions and activities are free, esp sitting on deck watching the sea go past. Although it is on the increase on Cunard ships, I get the impression that you won't be "nickel and dimed" as much as on others. You can sit in a bar or lounge and NOT have to buy a drink, you will be approached once by a steward and then left alone if you so wish.

One last item... what is the nightlife like on the QV. On many of the other cruises we've taken (Princess, HAL)... the Disco is dead at night. What can we expect on the QV. Any thing else you can add about the QV would be nice.

In my experience the Commodore Club and Hemispheres (close to each other, people seem to commute between the two) have great night life until the small hours.

There are many, many photos of QV's interiors via the link below, hope you find them useful.

Please ask more questions if you wish, there are a lot of experienced and friendly people here. Have a great time and Bon Voyage!

Hi mikjr

In my experience the Commodore Club and Hemispheres (close to each other, people seem to commute between the two) have great night life until the small hours.

quote]

I've only been on board 3 times, but found the night life differs by the night.

There is normally an "ABBA Night" and that's always busy. However, I've also been to Haemorrhoids around half past midnight and seen only 4 people there. A bit of a lottery really.

Stewart

The only thing I would add is that The Golden Lion Pub seemed to be closed a lot. Then jammed on other days (sea days). In two weeks never could get a table when they were serving.

We adored the Commodore Club thought it was the most elegant and sophisticated venue that we have seen on a ship. We were there every night before or after dinner for a cocktail and piano music.

Thanks Mike for starting this thread. We are booked on the 4 day cruise just before your Hawaii cruise. We are taking advantage of what seems to be a fairly rare opportunity to take a "sampler" cruise on a Cunard ship on the West Coast. I am enjoying reading the responses and looking at the photos in the links that have been posted.

The only thing I would add is that The Golden Lion Pub seemed to be closed a lot. Then jammed on other days (sea days). In two weeks never could get a table when they were serving.

We adored the Commodore Club thought it was the most elegant and sophisticated venue that we have seen on a ship. We were there every night before or after dinner for a cocktail and piano music.

It is only open for food on sea days. The other eating place is dck 10 aft there is a burger bar and you can eat outside, weather permitting

Mike, Jr, I didn't see this mentioned directly, but you can dine breakfast, lunch and Dinner in the Lido restaurant on 9 deck. At breakfast and lunch it is mostly self serve, I am not sure about dinner. Can others who have dined in it tell us if there is a sit down dinner service in the Lido in the evenings as there is in the Kings Court on QM2

Cheers Mike

The fish, (and chips), in the Golden Lion is superb, as are the other dishes on offer.

We don't usually go for fish and chips but, after seeing it served to other diners, could not resist. It did not disappoint.

However, many others experiences on QV were less favourable than expected although overall we enjoyed our cruise. We would not hurry back to Cunard. Just a personal opinion after many other cruises.

It is only open for food on sea days. The other eating place is dck 10 aft there is a burger bar and you can eat outside, weather permitting

Is this new?

Both times we've been on Queen Victoria (November 2009 & May 2010) we ate in the Golden Lion on most days including port days - it was a pleasant change to QE2 where it was only open sea days, which made it very difficult to try it due to the number of people who wanted to use it on sea days.

The only restriction (IIRC) was that there was no 'special' on port days.

We never 'found' the burger bar :D

Mike, Jr, I didn't see this mentioned directly, but you can dine breakfast, lunch and Dinner in the Lido restaurant on 9 deck. At breakfast and lunch it is mostly self serve, I am not sure about dinner. Can others who have dined in it tell us if there is a sit down dinner service in the Lido in the evenings as there is in the Kings Court on QM2

Cheers Mike

Yes there is. We were on a 7 day cruise on the QV in July and there were waiter-served Indian nights on nights 3,4, 5 & 6.

Times: 6.30pm to 9.00pm

Dress code: Elegant Casual each night

This area will presumably carry a charge next year.

Breakfast and lunch is all self-serve in the Lido and evening meals are self-serve apart from the above-mentioned.

Burger Bar? very nice!! I really hate to ask this, but being Italian was just wondering... do they have a Pizza bar?

we've cruised Princess several times, and since they have an Italian Capt and officers, they have very good Italian food, including a pizza bar located by the burger grill.

There is a Pasta and Pizza bar/area in the Lido which has different pasta and pizza specials each day which are cooked to order. Its open from about 11.30am till 4pm and then again in the evening from about 6pm till 11pm.

If the QV is anything like QM2 then do not expect much in the way of night-club nightlife. I can only speak from experience regarding the QM2 and I can report that the night-club was disappointing due to the low level of the music, the music itself and the Caribbean band 'Vibes' which ruined many a night for us.

We're are considering bringing our own music and headphones. I realise this is extreme however we're paying a lot of money for this cruise and I want to be able to dance at night.

The Queens Room is excellent for traditional dancing and the Commodore Club has a 'cool' lounge vibe. Both are fine venues (on the QM2) and met with our expectation in relation to atmosphere etc.

I can only speak from experience regarding the QM2 and I can report that the night-club was disappointing due to the low level of the music, the music itself and the Caribbean band 'Vibes' which ruined many a night for us.

Whilst I agree that the G32 is foul, part of that foulness is the fact that the "music" (sic) is painfully loud. How anyone could complain it was not loud enough is something I simply cannot comprehend.

WD

Whilst I agree that the G32 is foul, part of that foulness is the fact that the "music" (sic) is painfully loud. How anyone could complain it was not loud enough is something I simply cannot comprehend.

WD

My experience was the same - I actually had to leave because it was hurting my ears ! QE was great though. Loved it, although the marble mosaic in the middle of the wooden dance floor was a bit odd !

There is a Pasta and Pizza bar/area in the Lido which has different pasta and pizza specials each day which are cooked to order. Its open from about 11.30am till 4pm and then again in the evening from about 6pm till 11pm.

WOW... I will be in heaven!! thanks for the great news.

It's easy to comprehend. How old are you? Maybe your age and the generation you belong to influences your opinion. If you're older than me (34) you probably have a different outlook on music at nightclubs in general.

My experience was the same - I actually had to leave because it was hurting my ears !

Obviously we've frequented dramatically different nightclubs on shore.

It's easy to comprehend. How old are you? Maybe your age and the generation you belong to influences your opinion. If you're older than me (34) you probably have a different outlook on music at nightclubs in general.

I always figured it was the job of the DJ to play the music that relates to MOST of those in attendance. I find most on a cruise are in their 50s/60s... with some fringe on both ends... a few in their 30s and a few folks in their 70s.

we're from the Disco 70s generation, so we like to hear Earth/Wind/Fire, BeeGees, ABBA, etc. but don't mind some 50s/60s rock too, especially Motown, Four Tops, Jacksons, etc...

But what gets me is that the DJ will have everyone dancing, and then slip some weird song in there and clear the floor. you'd think he'd see the song isn't working, and move on!

A Disco is supposed to be LOUD... that's why the ship features other venues with other types of music... Big Band, Piano Bar, etc.

One point I havn't seen mentioned, if you are seated in a drinks service area and do not want a drink, make sure you have a serviette on the table in front of you, this is the waiters signal that you have been attended to and you won't be bothered again.

There is plenty to do in the evening, theatre (2 shows nightly), quiz in the Golden Lion, dancing or balls, midnight feast in the lido, disco till 2(although not as good as QE2), or just sitting chatting, or even do the jigsaw.

Archived