Cruise Air/Price Increase

14 months and counting

We usually handle our own airfare when booking a cruise, but Holland America has a great rate for our 2012 Austraila/New Zealand cruise. The small print states " airfare prices are not guaranteed until the final payment is made." We have not yet booked the cruise and are trying to decide what to do about airfare. Has anyone booked airfare through Holland America and then had the price increased? Thanks for your help.

If another poster did or did not have an increase in cruise air has no relevance what will happen to you. If someone posts, "No, my airfare did not increase", it doesn't mean your airfare won't.

Suggest you read the sticky at the top of the forum that explains cruise air:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

I don't know how you or they will figure 2012 airfare out now. The furthest forward looking reservation system I know allows booking 355 days in advance which needlessly to say doesn't touch 2012.

That's unless Holland America have started options style trading investment arm for airline fares :p

Some of the cruise lines (particularly those with "self booked" cruise air-like Princess EZ Air and Choice Air) have a couple of options.

1. Book AND PAY for the tickets IMMEDIATELY, just like with the airline. Non refundable, change fees applicable and consolidator class.

2. Then there is the "book it now" type of ticket but you DON'T pay for it immediately. Those are all subject to price increases.

As has been pointed out, no one knows what airline ticket prices will be in 2012. What you see on any cruise line website now for 2012 is pure speculation and IS subject to final pricing by the cruise line when the ticket prices (and cruise line contracts) have been established. So if you see $1500 NOW, that is NOT a FIRM price and subject to increase (or decrease). Plan you cruise accordingly. Enjoy!!!

I am asking advice for flights for next year. I am doing a sort-of Back-to-Back and the cruiselines cannot do but one way. Home airport is LAX or BUR or Long Beach.

I sail on the Crown Princess on 28 August 2011 from Southampton to NYC. I am flexible on my Outbound flight, as I would like to see some of London and or Southampton day tours.

Sunday 14 September, the Crown Princess docks in NYC. This is my only firm date (or I could overnight in NYC, but prefer not to). I need a flight from NYC > BCN. (one pax only).

The Epic docks in MIA on Saturday 5 November. This one is pretty much a no-brainer as I saw rates for $252 (including taxes) on Southwest.

Greatam (or any other smart flyer):

Air New Zealand has quoted me $752 for one way on first leg: LAX > London (non-stop).

My biggest problem is NYC > BCN on 14 September. Which airlines and or websites should I look at?

Thank you very much for your help.

:D:D:cool::D:D

Thanks for your help.

On Airfare.com, I just bought one leg. EWR > BCN on 14 September for $418.82, including taxes and insurance on U.S. Airways.

It is still too early for the Southwest $252.40 (with one stop) from MIA > LAX. Any other suggestions to get home from Florida?

I still need LAX > London on or about 23 August.

Thanks for your help.

On Airfare.com, I just bought one leg. EWR > BCN on 14 September for $418.82, including taxes and insurance on U.S. Airways.

It is still too early for the Southwest $252.40 (with one stop) from MIA > LAX. Any other suggestions to get home from Florida?

I still need LAX > London on or about 23 August.

Add another $60+ or so for the transfer from the Port of NY to EWR (unless you take public transport or get to Penn Station and take the airport bus which will still cost you $25-35 and you get to schlepp your luggage through Penn Station).

AA has "flagship" service (LARGE plane from MIA with 3 classes of service) nonstop to LAX. Only one flight per day-generally too early debarking a cruise but you could Priceline a hotel and spend the night. BUT there are 6 more flights after the large plane-757 or 738 service. The price is usually comparable to WN. In fact, you can book TODAY through October 29 for $260.72. Why hassle a multi stop WN flight??? AND you will have to make your way from MIA to FLL as WN doesn't fly from MIA which costs even more.

BOOK the Air New Zealand flight. That is a very good price nonstop from LAX.

Sounds like a spectacular trip. I want to go.

Archived