Princess comapred with Royal Carribean

mainecruzr

My partner and I just returned from RCI Monarch of the Seas. We have heard friends be very loyal to one or the other cruise line. We have been on Princess twice (sapphire and carribean). This thread serves as my comparison of the cruise lines.

RCI Pros: Free lemonade and unsweetened iced tea

Promenade deck walk is one one level without stairs (deck 7)

Sound of Music theater had comfortable seating

RCI Cons: Many obvious attempts at up charges

No safe in our room (deck 6)

Chaos in windjamer. No clear pattern of line, entrance or exit.

Frozen pizza at Sorrentos

Anytime dining: Prepay gratuities & make resers each night.

Room service menu on TV station only (found on last day)

Princess Pros: Can bring bottled water on board

Can bring one bottle of wine per person (big money saver)

Fresh floral arrangements everywhere on the boat

Upkeep of boat. (crew members cleaning painting, washing, or cleaning the boat everywhere.

Pizza and ice cream are far superior to RCI.

Grill station has turkey burgers, onion rings (more selection)

Princess Cons: Reverse RCI Pros.

This is just my opinion. I would like to see this thread continue and have other peoples perspectives.

Pam

FYI - Princess now has free lemonade in the Horizon Court. It has been there for at least a year, maybe a tad longer.

They have had tea from what I can remember but I don't drink tea so am not familiar with the type.

FYI - Princess now has free lemonade in the Horizon Court. It has been there for at least a year, maybe a tad longer.

They have had tea from what I can remember but I don't drink tea so am not familiar with the type.

when I asked for lemonade, they looked at me like they didn't know about it.....it took forever to get it....had to ask several times.....

when I asked for lemonade, they looked at me like they didn't know about it.....it took forever to get it....had to ask several times.....

I didn't have any problems on the Crown. It was available after a certain time (10 am or 11 am). I would often go there to get lemonade and then go elsewhere to drink it (as Horizon Court was way too crowded). Some ships have lemonade on the drink spigots (sp?).

As far as lemonade and un-sweeetened iced tea, I like the fact that they are served buffet style (get it yourself) in RCL (or RCCL). For us, the buffet (or cafe) is not where we spend much time in. So, we like the fact that they are available and we just get it ourselves.
The ice tea on Princess can be self serve as well. They have servers that come around to serve it, but you can also go up to the drink machines located along the wall in the Horizon Court and get it yourself. The only difference is that you have to dispense it from the machine. On RCCL the drinks are pre-poured and you just grab the glass.

I totally agree with you about the theater seating. The Princess Theatre always seems small and cramped. The main showrooms on RCCL are much larger and more comfortable.

First, it's a ship, not a boat ;)

Royal is actually my favorite. I think some things are important to one, may not be for another. Is nice that one can look at the pro's and con's and decide what' important for themselves.

I think Royal has a nice balance of everything. I think their cabins have a much nicer layout. Seems they are much larger. They have a nice area with a couch instead of a huge walk in closet on Princess. Larger bathrooms on Royal. Love their adult only areas. I think I read that the sancuary on Princess you have to pay for? Adult only area.

Princess has less kids..a plus for me! They do seem to control what issues they may have with them quickly.

Princess has an older crowd. Less problems.

Princess has nice itineraries.

For me, the drinks isn't important. Frozen pizza? So much food, I don't need to eat it.

All that said, I'm going on my second Princess cruise next month :D

Great deal for a nice winter get away.

We tried out the Mariner of the Seas last March. I would say that overall we prefer Princess, but it was nice to try something different.

Pros for RCCL: There was much more of a "happening" vibe on the Mariner OTS. Our kids certainly enjoyed the rock climbing wall and skating rink, although these were actually open a lot less than I expected. We also liked the convenience of being able to quickly walk to the Cafe Promenade for coffee in the morning. Even if you have the coffee card, Princess makes it more of a hassle to get coffee IMHO. We liked the Windjammer Buffet and thought it was better than Horizon Court. Service in the MDR was excellent and very comparable to Princess.

Cons for RCCL: Definitely missed the poolside pizza and grill that we enjoy on Princess. Also missed the self serve laundry. I wasn't a big fan of the Royal Promenade -- too much like a shopping mall at sea. And the biggest drawback: we felt that the food in the MDR was definitely inferior to Princess.

My partner and I just returned from RCI Monarch of the Seas. We have heard friends be very loyal to one or the other cruise line. We have been on Princess twice (sapphire and carribean). This thread serves as my comparison of the cruise lines.

RCI Cons: Many obvious attempts at up charges

No safe in our room (deck 6)

Chaos in windjamer. No clear pattern of line, entrance or exit.

Frozen pizza at Sorrentos

Anytime dining: Prepay gratuities & make resers each night.

Room service menu on TV station only (found on last day)

Princess Pros: Can bring bottled water on board

Can bring one bottle of wine per person (big money saver)

Fresh floral arrangements everywhere on the boat

Upkeep of boat. (crew members cleaning painting, washing, or cleaning the boat everywhere.

Pizza and ice cream are far superior to RCI.

Grill station has turkey burgers, onion rings (more selection)

Princess Cons: Reverse RCI Pros.

This is just my opinion. I would like to see this thread continue and have other peoples perspectives.

Pam

I also like RCCL.but I am doing a cruise on Crown Princess May 2011 and am looking forward to it

We do take bottled water and diet soda with us on RC, was hopeing to be able to do the same on Princess as I don't drink coffee or tea and their lemon has so much sugar in it I try and stay away from it.

The crew are also cleaning and painting all the time. I think that normal on all cruise ships.

I will have to admit their pizza is not very good. But there is always plenty of other foods.

The ice tea on Princess can be self serve as well. They have servers that come around to serve it, but you can also go up to the drink machines located along the wall in the Horizon Court and get it yourself. The only difference is that you have to dispense it from the machine. On RCCL the drinks are pre-poured and you just grab the glass.

We did do it on a couple of occasions. Still, I only found ice and water. Also we really didn't know if we were suppose to do it or not. On RCL, it was obvious, just get it and go.

Just did the TA on the Navigator of the Seas. Boy, could I have used the Princess laundry facilities.

Royal has the edge on coffee, Seattle's Best. The cabins have more storage, a sofa, shower door, etc. Great cabin.

You can have the ice show, rock wall, promenade parades, they didn't impress me.

They have a nice breakfast room service menu.

The spa and gym were very nice on RCL, two levels with a giant hot tub indoors.

Princess past passenger perks can not be beat. Free internet and laundry are fantastic.

You can bring wine onboard Princess. We were in Italy, France and Spain and could not bring wine onboard to drink, even to pay a corkage fee in the dining room. Unbelievable.

The venue might be more comfortable on RCL for shows, but having the Explorer Lounge and another show room as well as the Princess theater gives you more options for shows.

I like the Café' Caribe on the Princess ships. If you are a buffet person at all, the dinners there are very good. Me, I like to be served, but will go to Café' Caribe.

We did do it on a couple of occasions. Still, I only found ice and water. Also we really didn't know if we were suppose to do it or not. On RCL, it was obvious, just get it and go.
If I recall correctly, the big machine just dispenses ice and water. But there are smaller ones next to it that have the ice tea. And it's not just reserved for the servers. There are always passengers there serving themselves. I agree that RCCL is easier to get. There's a large sign that says Drinks, and you just grab a glass and go.

We just returned from our first Princess cruise, and have been on 2 RCCL.

Pros Princess vs RCCL:

-bringing wine onboard

-objective port lectures vs shopping sales pitches on RCCL, even to the point of mentioning DIY options instead of ships tours

-quietly sitting somewhere without being nagged to buy drinks

-24 hours buffet vs lousy hamburgers at the pool until 2.30 am

-almost everybody dressing up for formal night

RCCL vs Princess:

-better entertainment: better quality and on till late

-better mix in nationalities (both passengers and crew)

-lemonade and ice-tea easier to get, coffee much better

Great thread.. thanks! I have been loyal to Royal for years. Been on 7 cruises with them. I have not cruised another cruise line. In April I have Coral Princess booked for the Panama Canal. Princess sounds like it has so much to offer. I loved the Panama itinerary with Princess better because Royal no longer does partial transits. After reading all the positives for Princess gets me more excited! Thanks!

I had posted this same intro thread on Royal C as well. I am very surprised in the differences in responses. Its seems as though the Royal thread felt it was an attack against them. Princess thread reads as though it was talking points. Take a look at it, see what you think.

I am not for either. I am price oriented and will go with the better deal. Be it princess or Royal or another line, I will be cruising again in the near future and will have a great time.

Pam

We haven't sailed on RCI since our first Princess cruise in 2001. We sailed on three RCI cruises in the 1990s. My brother and his wife discovered cruising a year ago. They've taken three RCI ones in the past year and have another booked for next month. They just got off the Allure.

When I'm looking at cruises, I generally look at the itineraries offered by Princess, Celebrity, and HAL. But I'm open to booking another RCI cruise on one of their smaller ships. I don't want to sail on one of their large ones.

I love both lines equally and always choose the price and itinerary I like best. Recently, Princess has simply been giving me better prices.

Princess does have to redesign their theatre for their new ships. They are definitely the most crowded out of Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. It seems Princess keeps adding more passenger decks without changing the style and seating of their theatre. Hopefully, they'll address the problem in the future.

I do have to give it to Royal Caribbean for having spectacular dining rooms, and I love their Promanade area.

All the rest: service, food, entertainment, and quality I find equal.

I totally agree with you about the theater seating. The Princess Theatre always seems small and cramped. The main showrooms on RCCL are much larger and more comfortable.

Wow, that surprises me that you feel that way. I've never sailed RCI, but I've been on Princess many times and I can't ever remember feeling that the theater was "cramped". Sure it can be packed when a show is popular, but I never felt cramped.

RCI charges MORE per day for their tips! (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

Seriously, I always enjoy the RCI SMALL ships, but really don't like the mega ships at all. Even though many of the Princess ships are nearly as big, they have much better crowd control it seems to me. I've always found that the BIG RCI ships are congested so badly, that it's nearly impossible to get from one activity in the evening, to the next. Seems to me that everyone is going the same place, at the same time aboard RCI. I've never felt that way on Princess.

"SKY"

We have done 19 cruises, half on Princess...half on RCCL here is our pro's and cons:

RCCL cabins are much bigger than on Princess, an inside has a full couch plus coffee table.

RCCL dining is much more elegant than on Princess with a bigger spaces.

PRINCESS has two show theatres, compared to only one on RCCL, so you can choose where you go..we really enjoy this... !!

PRINCESS allows you to bring a bottle of wine per person on board.RCCL won't even allow a bottle of water !!!.

I like having self laundry board, Princess has this...RCCL does not...& travel irons are a NO NO....

RCCL does have free pour, so you really get a good bang for your buck on your booze.

I find the entertainment..equal on both lines........a biggie for us....!!!

RCCL has the Seaview Cafe....a little treasure on board for eating.....

When we have checked cruise air, RCCL is much more expensive than Princess.

So in turn, we like both lines, somethings more about one than the other, but it all equals out in the end.....I think it really depends on the ship and the crew , much more than it does the cruise line. I must say we just got off the "Grand Princess", and she is looking a little tired and worn....first ship in the fleet we have found this. We did the Radiance of the Seas in the spring...and she was in tip top shape !!! ???

For what it's worth..???

B.J.

Wow, that surprises me that you feel that way. I've never sailed RCI, but I've been on Princess many times and I can't ever remember feeling that the theater was "cramped". Sure it can be packed when a show is popular, but I never felt cramped.
The theater seats are wider and more comfortable on RCCL. Plus, on most of the RCCL ships, the theater is tiered with a balcony section. They just seem much more spacious than the Princess Theatre. Here's a shot of the Savoy Theater on the Mariner of the Seas:

4234126105_bb8f389524_z.jpg

And here's a shot of the Princess Theatre of the Star. The ceiling is much lower, and it just has a more closed in feel to me. I find the production shows are similar on both Princess and RCCL, though.

2782421873_c727d93415_z.jpg?zz=1

Archived