Horrible Timing

hamfiveo

I was playing hockey tonight and took a puck right in the face... Had to get stitches to close up the wound...

Now for the great news... I'm leaving for the Valor next Sunday!!!!! Worst timing ever!!! I can't get the stitches wet, so there goes my snorkeling.

I'm so disappointed.

That sucks!! I went on my first cruise ever just 5 days after having LASIK. I couldn't swim, sweat, put product on face (sunscreen, makeup, etc.), and had to wear my night goggles the whole time. It wasn't great but we made the most of it! Even though you can't snorkel I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!

Another option (and I apologize I didn't read the replies before making my response) is to go to your Dr. on Friday and have him remove the stitches and replace them with steristrips. You may be healed enough by then to do that. Then just bring extras with you to replace them when you're done. I had my finger tip severed off and then reattached using just steristrips since my insurance wouldn't cover stitches and I couldn't afford it. My finger healed just fine and there's barely even a scar!

He is a hockey player from Ontario, Canada. No worries, eh!:D

I would do it for someone. My DH had to decide if a woman on a plane coming back from Florida who had just been in the hospital, who fainted on the plane before take off was ok to stay on the plane. He had 150 sets of eyeballs on him when the flight attendant asked him that question. We also helped aid a person having a seizure in the airport and nearly missed our flight. We figure if it were us we would hope a Dr. or nurse would help us out.

Big difference between assisting in an emergency and removing someone's stitches on a cruise just so they could go in the water.

My GF already told me she would remove them for me... I have an appointment Friday, so hopefully they'll be good to go. The other thing is now I have to decide how I am going to shave... or not shave now...

Stupid Question... Has anyone ever used Nair or a similar product on their face? Does anyone know if it would be safe to use over stitches? I will lose my mind if I must have a full beard.

My GF already told me she would remove them for me... I have an appointment Friday, so hopefully they'll be good to go. The other thing is now I have to decide how I am going to shave... or not shave now...

Stupid Question... Has anyone ever used Nair or a similar product on their face? Does anyone know if it would be safe to use over stitches? I will lose my mind if I must have a full beard.

Don't do it - area too sensitive and if you have a reaction to it you really will be toast. I wouldn't shave, nothing nicer looking than a man with a scar and a little bit of growth - unless of course you are wolfman.

Don't use nair! will burn your face and beard hair is too corse to remove this way. And Nair is an acid! don't want that in a wound. just shave close then use one of those small battery operated trimmers (for eyebrows, nose hair) to get close to stiches. you can find the trimmers in the electric razor section for under $10.

Dunno about Nair but the wife tried the wax strip on the back of my head once... :eek: NEVER. AGAIN. NEVER.

You can purchase a waterproof patch to put over your stitchs at any drug store. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but if you put a small piece of gauze over the stitches then this transparent patch over that you should be able to swim with no problems.

why??? Why oh why would you even attempt that???

that was my thought - owwwwww. Tried to talk my husband into doing his chest - I will not tell you what he said as this thread would go poof in record time. He did say no by the way.

NAIR!!! :eek: Only if you want your stitches to feel as if they are on fire!!!

I would ask your dr. Salt water can actually be very healing. After my husband's motor cycle accident, our dr. told us not to cancel our vacation to the ocean because the salt water can be beneficial to healing. Still, ask your dr.

Have a great cruise either way and let us know how it worked out.

Waterproof clear dressings, opsite, tegaderm - great in theory when they work. I can attest to the number of patients (who snuck into the shower before we could properly seal their arm in saran wrap, tape, garbage bag etc) I've seen who went into the shower with a great working iv & come out with iv fallen out on the floor - that the waterproof capability is tenuous at best.

Waterproof clear dressings, opsite, tegaderm - great in theory when they work. I can attest to the number of patients (who snuck into the shower before we could properly seal their arm in saran wrap, tape, garbage bag etc) I've seen who went into the shower with a great working iv & come out with iv fallen out on the floor - that the waterproof capability is tenuous at best.

Ironically my doctor said the same thing... he said you can try, but he doesn't recommend it. It's just bad timing, but hey... I just have to make the best out of a bad situation. I look at the Splendor situation and think to myself, it could be worse.

I took a nosedive into a sidewalk four days before leaving on an Alaskan cruise two years ago and had ten stitches above my eyebrow, not to mention a black eye that went all the way to my cheekbones. My husband took out the stitches mid-cruise and it was no big deal; he used the kit we got from the doctor. But I wore sunglasses in all the photos and in the dining room because my eye looked hideous. Also my DH was sure that everyone who saw me thought he'd done it!

Archived