December 14 - 21, 2010 - SeaDream II

mimito4

Ugh. Rain all day with short intermittent gray sky (no blue I'm afraid). We did take the tender into Cruz Bay, intending to do a nice long private hike before lunch, but about all we got accomplished was buying some of the to-die-for St. John Spice Cruz Bay Grill Rub. . .while dashing between sidewalk umbrellas or overhangs.

Oh well, it's not snow.

I'm still on my 3G signal so if SD is blocking they're akin to my mostly beloved Bengals. Pretty inept. ;)

Wes, there are no pictures posted yet, but not for lack of effort. I've uploaded to my iPad and have attempted to upload to my photo bucket, after figuring out that I had to first download the photo bucket app, rather than use the browser like normal. No go. . .must be because I'm not on wireless and files too large.

I know, more than you all wanted to know. I'm a geek.

Random small world moment: there's a cute little Argentinean waiter by the name of Nicholas serving us who looked so familiar (perhaps you recent Crossers know him--I believe he said that was his first voyage with SD). Well, turns out he made a few drinks for us on our Crystal Symphony 2008 transpacific crossing. Keith, since you were also there, you'll want to know he even got excited and said, "remember the double rainbow over Diamond Head in Hawaii?"

Did I ever?! (if I could post pictures, I'd show you all).

And a few more favorite things and one not so favorite:

We like the mussels they had for lunch today. Of course, with enough garlic, butter and cream probably most anything would taste good. Seriously, they were spectacular, though had I realized how rich they were, I would have asked for an appetizer portion. I felt wasteful leaving so much.

I like the soups. Yum. Particularly loved the tomato with basil today, and last night's lentil was great, too. I remembered FT (you even spell your name without the h!) had talked of the soups, and I so agree now, even though it's way early in the trip.

I like the service precedence Roland established when I asked if I could have some kind of Chardonnay rather than the Sauvignon blanc that was being poured at the TOY bar. He made a point of digging around to find a bottle to open. I like that!

I did NOT like that we stayed overnight at the dock in St. Thomas. I'm not the best sleeper as it is, and since we're on only deck 2 and since we weren't looking out at the water, all I could see was concrete. I felt like I was sleeping in a parking lot. It sure would have been nice to be anchored out at sea.

Ugh. Rain all day with short intermittent gray sky (no blue I'm afraid). We did take the tender into Cruz Bay, intending to do a nice long private hike before lunch, but about all we got accomplished was buying some of the to-die-for St. John Spice Cruz Bay Grill Rub. . .while dashing between sidewalk umbrellas or overhangs.

Oh well, it's not snow.

I'm still on my 3G signal so if SD is blocking they're akin to my mostly beloved Bengals. Pretty inept. ;)

Wes, there are no pictures posted yet, but not for lack of effort. I've uploaded to my iPad and have attempted to upload to my photo bucket, after figuring out that I had to first download the photo bucket app, rather than use the browser like normal. No go. . .must be because I'm not on wireless and files too large.

I know, more than you all wanted to know. I'm a geek.

Random small world moment: there's a cute little Argentinean waiter by the name of Nicholas serving us who looked so familiar (perhaps you recent Crossers know him--I believe he said that was his first voyage with SD). Well, turns out he made a few drinks for us on our Crystal Symphony 2008 transpacific crossing. Keith, since you were also there, you'll want to know he even got excited and said, "remember the double rainbow over Diamond Head in Hawaii?"

Did I ever?! (if I could post pictures, I'd show you all).

I just love the St. John Spice Store. As a matter of fact I bought a USVI oval/sticker thingy for my car and a lovely set of coasters featuring the sailing maps of St. John for our kitchen.

I fondly remember Nicholas from the crossing! He was always smiling and happy! He assisted Enes several times when we dined al fresco.:D

Sending some pixie dust ~*~*~*~ your way that the skies clear and the seas stay calm!!

Thanks for checking in!

CDreamer - my recollection is the same as ctbjr's in term of Captain Terje's return and Christophe as HotMan.

Hmmm.... ctbjr, we're on the same cruise as Vandrefalk and several other CCers out of St Martin (Jan 7).

A few days ago my contact in Miami said Capt. Terje would be our Captain this time, so I hope she's right. :confused: Also 2 of the CCers here said they thought Christophe would also be on this cruise. Can anyone here verify this?

T., sorry about the rain - unfortunately weather's the one thing that's hard to predict (accurately anyway! :rolleyes:). Good thing is SD tries to avoid rough seas whenever possible, even if it means altering the route a bit or just staying put overnight.

Hmmm.... ctbjr, we're on the same cruise as Vandrefalk and several other CCers out of St Martin (Jan 7).

A few days ago my contact in Miami said Capt. Terje would be our Captain this time, so I hope she's right. :confused: Also 2 of the CCers here said they thought Christophe would also be on this cruise. Can anyone here verify this?

I recall very clearly that Terje said he is cutting his vacation time short for various reasons. He's making a trip to South America to preview the upcoming Amazon itinerary for a few days in mid-January and then planning to join SD2 on Jan. 22. Based on that conversation, I'd be very surprised to learn that he is to be on board on Jan. 7.

As for Christophe, I don't know his schedule but I do know that he's planning to be on SD2 on Jan. 22 and that we're looking forward to seeing him again.

I recall very clearly that Terje said he is cutting his vacation time short for various reasons. He's making a trip to South America to preview the upcoming Amazon itinerary for a few days in mid-January and then planning to join SD2 on Jan. 22. Based on that conversation, I'd be very surprised to learn that he is to be on board on Jan. 7.

As for Christophe, I don't know his schedule but I do know that he's planning to be on SD2 on Jan. 22 and that we're looking forward to seeing him again.

Well, sounds like Miami may have given me some wrong info then. That's too bad - was looking forward to seeing him again.

That Amazon itiniterary really sounds great. Who knows, maybe if we don't see him this time around we'll see him then?

The weather continues to be less than delightful (aka sucky for we less than prim & proper types).

I finally broke down & bought wireless connection from SD since there seems to be no AT&T 3 G signal anywhere sound St. Barts. Still either not enough bandwidth or something is wrong because I still cannot upload photos to my photobucket account.

So, you shall have to gear up your imagination until I can return and post pictures.

Being 2 Ketle One martinis in and "T, we have put aside the Kenwood chardonnay for us", (smooches Roland & Sean) you left behinds will have to cut me some slack. . .

Things I like:

I like the coffee with REAL cream. Honestly on other cruise lines, mass, and even Crystal, unless you get coffee from the Starbucks style shop, all other coffee sucks. This is awesome. SeaDream wins, hands down.

I like, no, I love Nicholas ( my own personal mini-me, even gets the pinky in the corner mouth joke).

I like, no, like I said earlier, I love Roland & Sean.

I like Silvio (sp?). I delivered messages and he says, " ah yes, the other

Teresa (FT) and Jennifer (mrs. So & so, aka DisneyJen). Loves you guys.

I like Jeff Drew. Shhhhh, Jeff Drew, senior V P. Of sales & marketing for

Oceania is on this ship for his own vacation (both Regent & Oceania ships are booked right now). He's charming and with no prompt when we told him of our future booked Regent cruise, he said to email him with the dates and he'd "let them know to take extra good care of us.

I like Matthew & Louis from San Francisco. They're dedicated SDreamers, but only lurk on CruiseCritic. They're on a B2B and this is their 5th SD.

I like the fois gras, escargot, and cream of mushroom soup (there is a fancier name, bit Ketle One won't let me recall).

And Paula, Barry and Don & I finally found Courtney & Nate. They look very young, but not haggard. Of course, why should I be surprised--young and haggard doesn't go together, does it?

Speaking of, I like the diversity of age on this voyage. Oldsters, youngsters,

etc. Children are well behaved and only 2 that I've seen.

I like that Michael, the C.D., told us last night to prepare for rough seas.

Badge of Courage unwrapped and applied, thank goodness.

FYI of the Day: word has it that SeaDream II is chartered for 20 weeks in

2011. Wow. Good luck on finding a voyage that works for you.

Summary: I like that all of SeaDream appears to have gone to charm school. . .an accredited one, at that. ;)

The weather continues to be less than delightful (aka sucky for we less than prim & proper types).

I finally broke down & bought wireless connection from SD since there seems to be no AT&T 3 G signal anywhere sound St. Barts. Still either not enough bandwidth or something is wrong because I still cannot upload photos to my photobucket account.

So, you shall have to gear up your imagination until I can return and post pictures.

Being 2 Ketle One martinis in and "T, we have put aside the Kenwood chardonnay for us", (smooches Roland & Sean) you left behinds will have to cut me some slack. . .

Things I like:

I like the coffee with REAL cream. Honestly on other cruise lines, mass, and even Crystal, unless you get coffee from the Starbucks style shop, all other coffee sucks. This is awesome. SeaDream wins, hands down.

I like, no, I love Nicholas ( my own personal mini-me, even gets the pinky in the corner mouth joke).

I like, no, like I said earlier, I love Roland & Sean.

I like Silvio (sp?). I delivered messages and he says, " ah yes, the other

Teresa (FT) and Jennifer (mrs. So & so, aka DisneyJen). Loves you guys.

I like Jeff Drew. Shhhhh, Jeff Drew, senior V P. Of sales & marketing for

Oceania is on this ship for his own vacation (both Regent & Oceania ships are booked right now). He's charming and with no prompt when we told him of our future booked Regent cruise, he said to email him with the dates and he'd "let them know to take extra good care of us.

I like Matthew & Louis from San Francisco. They're dedicated SDreamers, but only lurk on CruiseCritic. They're on a B2B and this is their 5th SD.

I like the fois gras, escargot, and cream of mushroom soup (there is a fancier name, bit Ketle One won't let me recall).

And Paula, Barry and Don & I finally found Courtney & Nate. They look very young, but not haggard. Of course, why should I be surprised--young and haggard doesn't go together, does it?

Speaking of, I like the diversity of age on this voyage. Oldsters, youngsters,

etc. Children are well behaved and only 2 that I've seen.

I like that Michael, the C.D., told us last night to prepare for rough seas.

Badge of Courage unwrapped and applied, thank goodness.

FYI of the Day: word has it that SeaDream II is chartered for 20 weeks in

2011. Wow. Good luck on finding a voyage that works for you.

Summary: I like that all of SeaDream appears to have gone to charm school. . .an accredited one, at that. ;)

Edited to say that while I do like Silvio very much, in this case I meant to say Zoltan.

So you can confirm that the wireless is up and running! That is good news:D

Thanks for delivering the messages!

One of the many things that we really enjoy about SeaDreaming is getting to know the staff and being able to enjoy their senses of humor.

Quite an amazing statistic on '11:eek:

If you are a soup person I suspect you will enjoy all the soups that are offered this week! Chef Erwin and his team are outstanding!

A rainy day on SD is way better than a fog/icy/gray day here in NC!;)

Teresa, great reporting!

DH has a question: when you purchase the SD wireless service are you given a specific password to get into the system?

Also, if you get a chance, will you ask Zoltan if he will be on board for the SDII Jan 7 cruise?

Thanks, and keep those great lists of yours coming! ;)

Teresa, great reporting!

DH has a question: when you purchase the SD wireless service are you given a specific password to get into the system?

Also, if you get a chance, will you ask Zoltan if he will be on board for the SDII Jan 7 cruise?

Thanks, and keep those great lists of yours coming! ;)

Yes Zoltan will be on board January 7.

Teresa, great reporting!

Yes, you are given a password. The cost is $35 per 24 hours. I'm not sure, but I believe a new password is issued for each additional 24 hour period. I better check that out because I don't necessarily want it all the time.

Today the weather has been glorious, and so we took the tender in and rented a car through the people at the Sunset Hotel. One of you veterans shared that tip, but I can't recall who it was. Still, I want to thank you.

It was only $78 USD for 24 hours, compared to $149 via the ship's excursion

for 6 hours We went directly to the hotel (right where we tendered) yesterday and he gave us the price, and when we told him that we didn't want to rent it until today, he just said come back in the morning, didn't even ask for a deposit. So we did just that and his wife came from the airport within 5 minutes to get us. We returned the car back to her at the airport and she brought us back into the tender area. Easy.

Gossip of the day: Apparently, a group partied on St. Barts last night until late, and then continued on once on the yacht, skinny dipping and all at like 4 a.m. :eek: I believe they were asked by security to refrain from their festivities.

Don's mad he missed it. ;)Too busy sleeping.

Things I like:

I like that they made a boxed lunch for us to take with us today. So much fun having a picnic on the beach. Note to self: ask for only 1 lunch to share. Each one could have fed a family of 4. We ran into Courtney & Nate who didn't know about getting the lunch and so we gave the rest to them. Like I said, a family of 4!

I like the cheese platter for a late afternoon snack in the stateroom. Another note to self: ask for enough for only 1 person.

I like that Zoltan, after seeing me frame and take a picture of the drink and my toes from the Bali bed, brought another drink that was decorated more elaborately, and "made with fresh pineapple for my tastes and my picture."

He had not made the first one (and that one was perfectly fine). Too cute.

Yes, you are given a password. The cost is $35 per 24 hours. I'm not sure, but I believe a new password is issued for each additional 24 hour period. I better check that out because I don't necessarily want it all the time.

Today the weather has been glorious, and so we took the tender in and rented a car through the people at the Sunset Hotel. One of you veterans shared that tip, but I can't recall who it was. Still, I want to thank you.

for 6 hours We went directly to the hotel (right where we tendered) yesterday and he gave us the price, and when we told him that we didn't want to rent it until today, he just said come back in the morning, didn't even ask for a deposit. So we did just that and his wife came from the airport within 5 minutes to get us. We returned the car back to her at the airport and she brought us back into the tender area. Easy.

Gossip of the day: Apparently, a group partied on St. Barts last night until late, and then continued on once on the yacht, skinny dipping and all at like 4 a.m. :eek: I believe they were asked by security to refrain from their festivities.

Things I like:

I like that they made a boxed lunch for us to take with us today. So much fun having a picnic on the beach. Note to self: ask for only 1 lunch to share. Each one could have fed a family of 4. We ran into Courtney & Nate who didn't know about getting the lunch and so we gave the rest to them. Like I said, a family of 4!

I like the cheese platter for a late afternoon snack in the stateroom. Another note to self: ask for enough for only 1 person.

I like that Zoltan, after seeing me frame and take a picture of the drink and my toes from the Bali bed, brought another drink that was decorated more elaborately, and "made with fresh pineapple for my tastes and my picture."

He had not made the first one (and that one was perfectly fine). Too cute.

Glad to hear that the weather cooperated today! Sounds like a lovely day all around.

I scaled our daily cheese tray request back to "just for one person please" and we still had some left overs. The picnic lunch is always such a treat!

That's our Zoltie:p Can't wait to see the photos!

I have to say we have seen folks come close to skinny dipping (the Belgians on our first trip with the ctbjrs and TOYBars a few years ago). Can't say that I have ever heard of anyone before this trip swimming on the yacht au naturel:eek:

Sounds like another wonderful day on SD2!

Thanks so much for the reports!!

Aren't the folks at the Sunset Hotel wonderful - we always use them. Can't beat the cost or the service (still can't believe the Swedes traded Gustavia to the French for Gothenburg . . . :rolleyes:)

As for your skinny dippers at 4 am, last Christmas (or technically the week before, we had a couple of women reportedly start shedding clothes or at least tops pool side just before cocktail hour, I missed it - was already down stairs and a dancer in the piano lounge at 2:00 am reportedly lose her clothes . . .but I too slept through it all! Can't imagine all that SD staff and crew see. Thank goodness what happens on SD stays on SD unless a CC poster sees it!

But seriously, some poor crew member/bartender has to stay up awfully late if a group is partying until 4:00 a.m. Makes for a long next day.

FT

We had to laugh. Apparently birthday suits do not fall under the category "yacht casual". :p

Matthew & Louis (the CC lurkers) have graciously asked us to dine with them tonight, so we're off to meet them.

I shall keep you poor left-behinds posted as I can.

I LIKE Teresa's Dream drink, courtesy of Zoltan ( me thinks it is named after FT rather than yours truly. Still. . .)

Regardless of your name, order it, but only one. One is 1/2 too many.

And another thought, don't you think it says a great deal about SD, that Oceania Jeff is on board??

And another thing, blackjack is a losing proposition 20 out of 21 times, and perhaps even more after 2 "Teresa's Dreams".

Just saying'. Watch yourself.

I LIKE Teresa's Dream drink, courtesy of Zoltan ( me thinks it is named after FT rather than yours truly. Still. . .)

Regardless of your name, order it, but only one. One is 1/2 too many.

And another thought, don't you think it says a great deal about SD, that Oceania Jeff is on board??

And another thing, blackjack is a losing proposition 20 out of 21 times, and perhaps even more after 2 "Teresa's Dreams".

Just saying'. Watch yourself.

I'm impressed ... I don't have my own drink:p I guess that means I have to spend some more time with Zoltan:D Singing a song ... just saying:eek: Bum, Bum, Bum:cool:

DJ's DH is still working on stuffing those olives with blue cheese to go in the Ketel One which is shaken and stirred just the way it is supposed to be at sunset in a chilled glass:p

Me thinks Teresa aka Mimito4 is feeling the SD vibe!:)

This one is truly your namesake. I have never ordered a drink with a pineapple in it (as least that I can remember;) on SD. . . but there is always a first time!

Please Keep up the postings and the lists .. . truly enjoying.

FT

This one is truly your namesake. I have never ordered a drink with a pineapple in it (as least that I can remember;) on SD. . . but there is always a first time!FT

No, no, this isn't the afternoon pineapple fou- fou one. This is something else entirely. It was an after dinner "a bunch of little of this and little of thats," made with a big mischievous grin as Zoltan said that. Oh, and he added, "I won't make it too strong" as he was holding the 4th bottle.

We decided to sleep in and get room service breakfast today. Ummmmm, wonder if Zoltan had anything to do with that? Waiting for that much needed first cup of Joe.

No, no, this isn't the afternoon pineapple fou- fou one. This is something else entirely. It was an after dinner "a bunch of little of this and little of thats," made with a big mischievous grin as Zoltan said that. Oh, and he added, "I won't make it too strong" as he was holding the 4th bottle.

We decided to sleep in and get room service breakfast today. Ummmmm, wonder if Zoltan had anything to do with that? Waiting for that much needed first cup of Joe.

Was it served up in FT's glass (the HUGE one!)?

I do love room service breakfast. I usually save it for the last day as I am too depressed to have my last meal anywhere other than in my stateroom.:eek:

Looking forward to more reports ... after that first cup of coffee of course:p

Archived