December 14 - 21, 2010 - SeaDream II

mimito4

FT, we can't go over the actual Christmas holiday. Our kids and grandkids would have a fit, but Don and I are thinking of the week before like this one for next year. Which week for you? How much fun it would be to meet you guys! We reserved an open booking. Here I am thinking about our next SD, and we already have two Regent cruises booked--Alaskan for August 31, 2011, and a spring crossing 2012.

Call me nuts.

When I insisted on doing the opening booking, I got some eye-rolling, and a good-natured ribbing that perhaps I needed to come out of retirement and get back to work.

That Don is a rascal.

Huummmm, though perhaps he has a point. I was an Organization Development/HR consultant for years. Anybody know of a few companies who need some advice, some bossing around? I'm good. Seriously. I work like a dog. . .just need lots of time off in between. :p

Sorry, too much talk. More pictures courtesy of Donna now. . .

CaptainandMichaelbyDonna.jpg

Captain Torbjorn Lund and Club Director Michael at Foxy's following our hike. SD is so inclusive that they even buy your post-hike beers at Foxy's.

DonnaandFoxybyDonna.jpg

Donna with THE Foxy.

And now, I've postponed long enough, because I knew that if I showed these first, you wouldn't look at mine (or Donna's). I'm a brat like that. These are courtesy of Jerry H., a fun guy with a fabulous camera and a dead-on eye for the picture. Only in my dreams could I imagine capturing these.

Are you ready? As in grab the phone and get the toll-free SD number or your travel agent's number. You'll need to after this. . .

SeaDreamIIbyJerryheld.jpg

ShellBeachatStBartsbyJerryheld.jpg

Shell Beach, St. Barts

TheBananabyJerryHeld.jpg

CD Michael with Jeff and Donna

ToyingaroundbyJerryHeld.jpg

A few more Jerry H. photos. . .

TheBathsbyJerryHeld.jpg

The Baths at Virgin Gorda

DonnaTandDonatBathsbyJerryHeld.jpg

Don surrounded with some favs. . .Donna and me. Hey Jerry, he wants permission to blow this up poster size. . .oh, wait, maybe he meant the one of the topless gorgeous on the rock next to us??

FoxybyJerryHeld.jpg

Foxy. 'nuff said.

EricClaptonyachtatNormanIslandbyJerryHeld.jpg

I believe this was Clapton's yacht. Correct me if I'm wrong Jerry. Everyone seemed to keep it from me until it was night. Probably afraid I'd jump ship and try to swim to it. ;)

JostVanDykefromourhikebyJerryHeld-1.jpg

from the hike on Jost Van Dyke

Jerry H. continued. . .

StBartsatnightbyJerryHeld.jpg

My personal favorite of Jerry's collection. Night shot at St. Barts. Post-card perfect, wouldn't you say?

DonnaandJeffatVirginGordabyJerryHeld-1.jpg

I hope they got permission from Jerry to use this for their holiday cards. Perfect! View is from the little restaurant/bar/shopping area/parking top of the Baths at Virgin Gorda.

And finally, a couple from the Splash. . .

ThesplashbyJerryHeld.jpg

TandDonnaatSplashbyDonna.jpg

and I end with two of mine from the Splash. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010131.jpg

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010126.jpg

I love Silvio. The end.

FT, we can't go over the actual Christmas holiday. Our kids and grandkids would have a fit, but Don and I are thinking of the week before like this one for next year. Which week for you? How much fun it would be to meet you guys! We reserved an open booking. Here I am thinking about our next SD, and we already have two Regent cruises booked--Alaskan for August 31, 2011, and a spring crossing 2012.

Call me nuts.

:p

We share not only a name, but a philosophy on life . . . I work to afford travel :D

we are booking actual Christmas week on SD II (unless I've pushed Adrienne in Miami over the edge with my changes - I'm waiting to get confirmation from him). I like the stops (and the price) the week before much better (who knows, you'll likely be sailing with DisneyJen on that week) but with teachers in the family and the way the semester goes . . . we'll be spending Christmas on SD II:D:D:D

We've been looking at Regent for Alaska, just don't know if I can bring myself to get on such a large ship and the PG for Tahiti too . . . .but now off to credit committee . . .

FT

We share not only a name, but a philosophy on life . . . I work to afford travel :D

we are booking actual Christmas week on SD II (unless I've pushed Adrienne in Miami over the edge with my changes - I'm waiting to get confirmation from him). I like the stops (and the price) the week before much better (who knows, you'll likely be sailing with DisneyJen on that week) but with teachers in the family and the way the semester goes . . . we'll be spending Christmas on SD II:D:D:D

We've been looking at Regent for Alaska, just don't know if I can bring myself to get on such a large ship and the PG for Tahiti too . . . .but now off to credit committee . . .

FT

FT

We'll see you there Christmas 2011! We've already booked. YAY! I'm thinking about adding on either the week before or the week after but no firm decision yet. And now the countdown to SD1 begins in earnest for us - we head out on Saturday. Hopefully work will be fairly quiet this week, my DH doesn't need to go to the office at all - lucky him. Only a few meetings, need to get our house sitter/ cat companion up to speed then pack (my DH will have plenty of time to do that and will hopefully remember his pants this time - though I do wonder if forgeting them last year was just a good excuse to shop in St. B). I don't think I'm going to bring my computer so unlikely I'll be posting anything from the ship but will do a brief something when I get back - as you know I'm nowhere near the efficient travel reporter as you and many of the other folks on this Board. Have a great New Year all of the faithful SeaDreamers out there!

O

we are booking actual Christmas week on SD II. I like the stops (and the price) the week before much better but with teachers in the family and the way the semester goes . . . we'll be spending Christmas on SD II:D:D:DFT

FT, I assume by your comment above that you've accepted the fact that Jost isn't on the itinerary that week???

FT, I assume by your comment above that you've accepted the fact that Jost isn't on the itinerary that week???

Yep, since Virgin Gorda is, I "assumed" the Splash will be on Prickly Pear. I've never been to a Splash there but I hear its great. Still haven't received a confirmation back . . . so I'm not counting my chickens yet, hopefully Miami is just on holiday or overworked (as opposed to overwurked who is packing!). Since both adult children will also be going on that trip, I'm going to be using as leverage with the entire family for the next few months until final payment is made:D

Overwurked . . . family can't do a BtB due to academic calendar -- but I could - wonder how much discount would offset single supplement? Great idea -- umm, have to investigate.

Not to completely hijack thread, but Mimi -- we are so envious that you actually met the real Foxxy -- that's so rare now days. Fantastic.

Happy New Year to all.

FT

We've been looking at Regent for Alaska, just don't know if I can bring myself to get on such a large ship and the PG for Tahiti too . . . .but now off to credit committee . . . FT

Our August 31 Alaskan cruise will be on the Navigator, and it is pretty small, at full capacity only 490 passengers. We've never done Alaska, or Regent for that matter. I investigated pretty thoroughly, factoring in all prices, gimmicks (on pricing), desires to have a somewhat smaller ship and less formal (than say Crystal) and arrived at the Navigator.

The Regent board is dedicated and loyal to the brand as are most other boards, but they do complain a lot, which leaves me a bit cold, but I always remind myself that of the total cruisers out there, only a small % is represented by CC. We're celebrating our 30th anniversary while on that voyage, so I know it will be grand regardless. We're pretty easy and for the most part see advantages in various lines.

Not to completely hijack thread, but Mimi -- we are so envious that you actually met the real Foxxy -- that's so rare now days. Fantastic.

FT

Funny story goes with this. If you've met him, you know that Foxy is outrageous and very non-politically correct, so when he "holds courts" you almost find yourself spraying beer all over him from the gasps and laughs he brings on.

Anyway, not knowing that this character was Foxy, as we were getting ready to leave I ask Michael where the "guy's" tip jar was. He looked at me and said very dryly, "didn't you just shop quite a bit in the store?" To which I replied, "yes, of course." "Well, you just tipped him. That, dear lady IS Foxy."

I also want to thank you all for your kind words and compliments to my entries and pictures (again note, that I cannot take credit for all, just the posting credit).

As you know feedback is the gift for going to the trouble to "report," to post pictures and so on, and you didn't disappoint.

Most importantly I want to thank you all who so kindly answered my questions, gave me tips and encouraged me in the planning. I've found this SeaDream board to be a very upbeat, yet balanced community; meaning you loved SeaDream, you're helpful and not snarky, but you give balanced reporting. . .meaning every single thing is not glowing (how could it be?).

Point is (and are you listening SD in Miami?), you guys are the reason we booked our first trip, and now we're hooked.

Too much talk again. How about a couple of odds and ends pictures?

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010002.jpg

. . .what you don't want to sail on, after experiencing SeaDream. Ha! This was taken from the Marriott in St. Thomas before embarkation.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010018.jpg

The pouring rain in St. John, our first stop, had us sad and worried. Even the SeaDream II looks sad and forlorn with those gray clouds as a back drop.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010021.jpg

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010034.jpg

Too cute in St. Barts. , but don't let the tacky little decorations fool you. The shops below had prices as though they were housed on the Champs Elysees.

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010102.jpg

and one more Roland pictures (and sadly, not sure of the other crew member's name.)

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010063.jpg

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010065.jpg

Don and I are probably the least churchified people around, but we always find ourselves in churches whenever we travel (what is that about?:eek:). This was a very old one in St. Barts that we discovered on our drive, with the cemetery below the church, and the gorgeous Caribbean across the street. . . Now this might be enough to make me even go to confession again. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010067.jpg

Your descriptions and pictures have made me so excited for our March cruise! Thank you so much!

Oh, and we aren't at all religious either, yet we also find ourselves in cathedrals, churches, and their burial grounds wherever we go. Something about the history in those places that seems to linger...

Teresa, sorry I've been MIA...again. What with the in-law's staying with us (ugh, glad that's over!), Christmas, and my newly developed morning sickness (is it a coincidence it started the day I left SeaDream?), I haven't had too much time on here. Please feel free to post any pictures of me and Nate. I forgot to give you my email address...I'll send you a private note.

I'll leave my likes (well, actually loves):

I loved ALL the crew as well. It's hard to pick favorites because they were all amazing, but some that stuck out (or at least, those whose names I remember) were Nicholas, Silvio, Mario, Louie, Jerry, Roland, Zoltan, Christophe, the concierge ladies (who took care of everything), etc.

I loved that Louie remembered my last name from when I sailed with him five years ago (although it has changed since then).

I loved that we told Jerry how much we loved the gouda on the very first day and every single time after (both breakfast and lunch), he had a plate of gouda waiting for us.

I loved that Roland, although he gave us a hard time about not drinking alcohol, brought us these lovely drinks (in the largest glasses...ever!) down to dinner for us the last night (again, because I told him it was my favorite). I had to take it back to my cabin to finish it because the glass was so huge! ** Apparently I don't know how to post pictures. Trust me, these glasses were ridiculous.

I loved our stewardess (I think her name was Tess). She was a champ for having to clean our room twice a day, since we repeatedly trashed it.

I loved that the sommelier (ugh, wish I could remember his name) found some non-alcoholic wine for us on the first night because we told him we didn't drink.

I loved how nice the other guests were. Nobody seemed bothered by our age (although we did get a lot of...oh is this your honeymoon?). We are kind of the "stick to ourselves" type, mostly because Nate is very shy, but people didn't hesitate to come sit next to us or share the hot tub with us or give us the rest of their lunch (thanks, Teresa!). Nobody was too loud or obnoxious. There were a couple of kids, but they were so incredibly well behaved.

I loved loved loved the champagne and caviar splash. And the beach bbq? A-maz-ing! In fact, all the food was delicious! I only had one thing that was a little off-tasting...and that was more of a personal preference (I may be the only person alive who doesn't like lobster, no matter how hard I try). And Nate, the pickiest, weirdest eater in the world, loved everything. He even tried the caviar!

I did have one small complaint about the balinese beds. We reserved the front bed on the first night (St. Thomas port isn't the best view, but that's besides the point), and we were woken up every 20 minutes by the nearby bathroom door being slammed by the Top of the Yacht-goers. Actually, I was able to sleep through it but I wasn't able to sleep through Nate nudging me and saying, "Did you hear that door slam?" Maybe I needed to pick another bed-mate.

There were so many other loves. It was definitely a rude awakening to leave the yacht, spend six hours in the freezing cold San Juan airport (half of which was spent in the bathroom...boo!), take a three hour flight home where there was a charge for everything, drive an hour and a half (which is always fun when you are nauseous), and discover that your house has been completely destroyed by your in-laws. Bringing my own dinner plate to the table felt extra annoying. Cleaning my own room is no fun. Long story short, I miss SeaDream!

Teresa, sorry I've been MIA...again. What with the in-law's staying with us (ugh, glad that's over!), Christmas, and my newly developed morning sickness (is it a coincidence it started the day I left SeaDream?), I haven't had too much time on here. Please feel free to post any pictures of me and Nate.

Ha-ha! When you told me of your pregnancy, I wondered how long that great feeling would last, Courtney. Sorry. . .hope the yechies pass soon. Here are a couple of picture of you and Nate. Such a lovely and very nice couple. . .may you be blessed with a safe delivery and healthy brother or sister for your little one!

Here you go, cutie. . .

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010059.jpg

SeaDreamCaribbeanCruise12-2010058-1.jpg

I loved that the sommelier (ugh, wish I could remember his name) found some non-alcoholic wine for us on the first night because we told him we didn't drink.

Hurray! SD does know how to please everyone. . .even tee-totalers. Of course, they should. . .they're making a lot more $ off you. ;)

I loved how nice the other guests were. Nobody seemed bothered by our age (although we did get a lot of...oh is this your honeymoon?). We are kind of the "stick to ourselves" type, mostly because Nate is very shy, but people didn't hesitate to come sit next to us or share the hot tub with us or give us the rest of their lunch (thanks, Teresa!). Nobody was too loud or obnoxious. There were a couple of kids, but they were so incredibly well behaved.

Agreed. Totally.

Actually, I was able to sleep through it but I wasn't able to sleep through Nate nudging me and saying, "Did you hear that door slam?" Maybe I needed to pick another bed-mate.

:D :p :D

• 5 weeks later...

Teresa thanks so much for all of the pictures and updates from the cruise! Barry and I had so much fun and loved meeting everyone! I am ready to go back next year too! We have been slammed every since we came back with the holidays and then work and poor Barry had to have surgery on his foot 2 weeks ago! ouch! I will try to post some pics too! I have some awesome videos from the dolphin swim with Jeff and Donna! I don't know if I can post those or not! Totally agree with all of yours and Courtney's comments about the crew and SD! No one does it better that I have seen in the Caribbean! I was having champagne withdraws for a week after we returned!:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paula! So sorry to hear about poor Barry. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

I resurrected this thread because just today I received a sweet e-mail with several gorgeous pictures attached. These are courtesy of Osvaldo, a dear young Puerto Rican journalist (writes for a lifestyle San Juan magazine). Those of you on the trip will remember him with his new camera always proudly around his neck. Well, now we know why. . .

I'm sure all SeaDreamers will appreciate these gorgeous shots, particularly those of you suffering through cold and snow during this hard winter. . .

DSCN0098.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

Bello! Many thanks, Osvaldo!

Archived