What to do in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

newtocruise11

First, the port area is cute with a little bar outside Elvis is still in the house here, it's retro fun, like the whole town:)

IMG_2263.jpg

Great pic! The stool that Elvis appears to be pointing to is where I sat when bought my son his first beer! He was 18 at the time, so he couldn't drink in the US or on the cruise ship. :cool:

Although Progreso isn't my favorite place in the world, we managed to have a good time there. When we first got there, we took the double decker bus tour and I really enjoyed it, we were the only people on the bus!! After that we walked around town and went to the beach for about and hour or so. The beach was nice, but people were constantly trying to sell stuff and that did get on my nerves! After that we went on a tour of the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins, which we booked through Auto Progreso and saved a lot of money that way! The ruins were amazing and I would love to tour them again one day when I have more time. Progreso can be a fun place, you just have to do a little planning! :D Enjoy your cruise!

Does anyone know if there is a place to buy sand toys (pails, shovels)? We have 4 kids with us and they would love some and we would love to give them away at the end of the day.

The shuttle drops you off at the craft market (used to, at least), but I don't recall seeing sand toys there. Progreso does have a small town area, but you may have to look around. Be prepared if you walk past the butcher shop carnage.

I enjoyed Progresso on our cruise that docked there on December 13th. We hired a private guide I found from this board by the name of "Pablo." He took us to see Uxmal, among other places. His prices were reasonable, and he was very knowledgeable! This is his info rabbit777mx@yahoo.com. His website is below... Message me if you have questions. We three ladies really enjoyed him!

Don't forget to Visit Pablo's Chicxulub Crater Home page, it's new and improved...

http://members.tripod.com/~rabbit777/

Also visit Pablo´s Chicxulub Crater Tours web site at

http://rabbit777.tripod.com/pablo/ It´s Bigger and better!!!

Does anyone know if there is a place to buy sand toys (pails, shovels)? We have 4 kids with us and they would love some and we would love to give them away at the end of the day.

I think I might have seen them on the ship for sale--pricey, though. We just pack our own from home. Our daughter liked playing with them in the cabin's shower, too. We live close to the port, so luggage space isn't an issue.

I was there a couple of years ago with husband & 2 teenage boys. We were with a group - we started out at the beach, had drinks and a snack - it was pleasant but we got bored. We went to the local bus station and with a little bit of spanish and a few pasos, we took local transporation to Merida for a day of shopping & sight seeing. They boys preferred the Cozumel version of Mexico which I explained was more American than most of Houston! Progresso is more authentic Mexico - not so Americanized.

• 1 month later...

When I visited Progesso the first time I fell in love with it! I am taking this next cruise just because of Progresso! I didnt care for Cozumel the 1st time around, but I am going to give it another try. I dont snorkle or dive so I want History, art and shopping when I go. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Also I think this time I might venture to Merida on the $20 trip, just wanted to know if anyone else has used this and had a good exprience. How long do they allow you and where all do you go?

When I visited Progesso the first time I fell in love with it! I am taking this next cruise just because of Progresso! I didnt care for Cozumel the 1st time around, but I am going to give it another try. I dont snorkle or dive so I want History, art and shopping when I go. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Also I think this time I might venture to Merida on the $20 trip, just wanted to know if anyone else has used this and had a good exprience. How long do they allow you and where all do you go?

We did a Merida, $25 tour, last week with autoprogresso. This took us to a cathedral, government building, town square, and general guide history. They offer several tours.

you can do the same thing, on your own for $3.00 round trip.....You will be on the same auto progresso bus as what the tour is.....it will drop you at the bus station in Merida...walk a couple blocks down to the square and start your own tour....Everything is right there....the cathedral, the governor's mansion.....when you've seen everything, walk back over to the bus station and catch the next bus back to Progresso....Me, my sis and my dad did this last October and had a blast....

Here's a few pics:

Cathedral des Americas

ry%3D400

Governor's mansion

ry%3D400

Inside the Great Hall

ry%3D400

Courting Chairs in the Plaza

ry%3D400

Plaza.....

ry%3D480

Merida shopping

ry%3D400

Hope this helps!

There are some shops & a couple of bars as you get off the ship.

Auto Progreso provides free shuttles to go down the 5 mile pier into Progreso. After we got off the shuttle, we went over to a relatively new beach resort called Silcer beach Club that is also a marina that is geared towards cruise ship passengers & is only about 10 minutes away. It was $15 each for transportation to & from there & the use of the facilities.

We were impressed. For the $15 each we paid we got roundtrip transportation with vans leaving every 30 minutes, nice beach chairs, pool, VERY clean nice restrooms & showers, & the use of ocean kayaks.

They had an all-inclusive liquor package for $25 each or food & liquor for $35. We did not plan to stay that long so we just paid as we went. We saw one family that was really getting their monies worth though! Beer was $3 each. We also ordered chips & salsa that was very good. The salsa had lime in it giving it a different flavor. The service was EXCELLENT. The family that did the AI had a waiter almost at their beck & call.

The beach was nice (it is not Barbados nice but much nicer than at the Reef or what we saw of the beach close to the pier (the seaweed was horrible the day we were there). We had a view of the ship from the beach.

My DH & I took a long walk down the beach & met some really nice people that were wintering in Progreso in condos. We watched some locals out fishing & pulling their cart with their catch down the beach. It was really very quaint & not crowded at all! If you like to collect shells we saw TONS of beautiful shells on the beach while we were walking.

Massages were available & there was only one vendor there selling his wares & he only approached us once!

The man that told us about Silcer Beach Club, Cristobal Figueroa (he said everybody calls him Cris) showed up to make sure we were having a good time. I told him I wanted to post about the Silcer Beach Club on CC when I got back so he gave me a card. If anyone is interested his e-mail is criss.tours@live.com or his website is www.crisstours.webs.com

Progreso is very quaint & the people there are so friendly.

Juli

Thanks Sharon. We'll be in Progreso in a couple of weeks and I was just going to come and ask if you can get off the double-decker bus (try doing a search for that!) and walk around Merida, and then catch another bus to get back to the port. Looking forward to Progreso even more now!!

• 2 weeks later...

Went there a couple of times in 2007 and while not my favorite place it was ok. Had great weather considering I went in Jan and Feb. In Jan my best friend and I took the Dzibilchaltun Mayan ruins thru Carnival. It was very interesting but a long day. The second time in Feb I went with DH and our three kids. We got off the ship early and went to the beach for about 45mins. Many vendors and stray dogs came up to us. We walked back into town where autoprogresso runs tours and hoped on one to Merida. While we were waiting for bus to fill up bought some stuff from little flea market. The tour was good but wish we had just a little more time there.

AH!! I couldn't wait to get home from work and find my Progreso pics!! Now I am WAY homesick to get back there!!

This is from our trip in Feb 2009 with the bloggers

First, the port area is cute with a little bar outside and some shopping inside the port building...there are buses that run back and forth to town, it's unbelievable how long that pier is, I will show you from town in a bit...

The little outside bar and there's a little pool too!!

Elvis is still in the house here, it's retro fun, like the whole town:)

IMG_2263.jpg

I knew I could count on a great review from you Floatie. You tell it like it is. That's pretty cook about your son's 1st drink.....

you can do the same thing, on your own for $3.00 round trip.....You will be on the same auto progresso bus as what the tour is.....it will drop you at the bus station in Merida...walk a couple blocks down to the square and start your own tour....Everything is right there....the cathedral, the governor's mansion.....when you've seen everything, walk back over to the bus station and catch the next bus back to Progresso....Me, my sis and my dad did this last October and had a blast....

Here's a few pics:

Cathedral des Americas

Governor's mansion

Inside the Great Hall

Courting Chairs in the Plaza

Plaza.....

Merida shopping

Hope this helps!

My brother and all of his kids and grandkids are going for their 40 wedding anniversary cruise. This helps so very much...:)

There is no Progresso without an excursion, the cruise ship dock is at a man made island with a few shops and a parking lot at the end of an about 4 mile long causeway before getting to the security gate and the town of Progresso. (it is not much of a town).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Progreso,+Yucat%C3%A1n,+Mexico&sll=30.828194,-93.240814&sspn=0.535382,1.234589&ie=UTF8&geocode=FQC1RAEdkL6n-g&split=0&hq=&hnear=Progreso,+Yucat%C3%A1n,+Mexico&ll=21.316723,-89.674873&spn=0.072602,0.154324&t=h&z=13

Ike

p.s. the cruise ship terminal is on the smaller of the 2 man made islands in the google map link

wow i just pulled this pic up.. this is going to sound crazy for someone going on a cruise but i am terrified of bridges over the water! Is that bridge not as scary as it looks??

wow i just pulled this pic up.. this is going to sound crazy for someone going on a cruise but i am terrified of bridges over the water! Is that bridge not as scary as it looks??

Don't think of it as a bridge. They built a very long, wide jetty and then paved the top of it.