MSC questions

buckirj1

I'm considering a future Canada/NE cruise on MSC. I have some questions, and I'd like to ask them all at once. I haven't found answers (or found conflicting answers).

1. Open or fixed seating at dinner?

2. Evening buffet (found conflicting answers on this...bear in mind I'm doing a North American cruise, not a European one)

3. Self-serve laundry?

4. Dimensions of shower/shower size? Please compare MSC shower size to that of other cruise lines if you can.

5. General bathroom setup; i.e., where the sink is placed, where the toilet is placed, etc.

6. plain unsweetened iced tea available anytime?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm considering a future Canada/NE cruise on MSC. I have some questions, and I'd like to ask them all at once. I haven't found answers (or found conflicting answers).

1. Open or fixed seating at dinner? Fixed

2. Evening buffet (found conflicting answers on this...bear in mind I'm doing a North American cruise, not a European one)Yes but not on Gala nights

3. Self-serve laundry?No

4. Dimensions of shower/shower size? Please compare MSC shower size to that of other cruise lines if you can.No idea, but on the small side

5. General bathroom setup; i.e., where the sink is placed, where the toilet is placed, etc.Shower on the left as you enter, sink on the right, toilet on the left after the shower cubicle. Sometimes layout can be in reverse depending on the cabin

6. plain unsweetened iced tea available anytime?I believe so, but can't say for sure as I never drink it

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I've answered the questions that I can for you.

AmoMondo, thank you very much for the answers, which are very helpful in determining whether or not MSC will be a good match for me and the way I like to cruise.

Are Gala nights the same as formal nights on other cruiselines?

Showers seemed to me to be about the same size as on other lines, cabin was good sized and well laid out, don't believe iced tea was available either way, we drink water, but I do remember some type lemonade? available, along with hot tea and coffee.

Gala is same as formal night

Yes unsweetened iced tea is available with all meals except breakfast.

If you're eating in the MDR, if you ask for it at your first dinner, your waiter will automatically bring it at every meal.:)

Thanks to everyone for the additional information. MSC seems deficient in a few things I consider important, but if the prices drop like they did last year I might be able to overlook them.

One more question: does the room service menu include hot foods? I know there's a charge, and I'm mostly okay with that.

They have strong ice tea. We asked for it each night and he brought it to us as soon as we sat down. He did not leave it on the table as it was set so it would not be watered down if we were a bit late....NOW that is service!

LOL!:rolleyes:

Last time we got that was at Waffle House!:eek:

You seriously consider bringing you your drinks after you sit down as excellent service?:confused:

It is to laugh!:p

LOL!:rolleyes:

Last time we got that was at Waffle House!:eek:

You seriously consider bringing you your drinks after you sit down as excellent service?:confused:

It is to laugh!:p

Yes I would consider it excellent service...

If you come late for lunch,and it's been waiting, you get a jug of melted ice!

Do waiters pour your drinks before you arrive!!??:confused:

... You seriously consider bringing you your drinks after you sit down as excellent service? ...

Our waiter on Poesia always brought our iced water after we sat down ... about 30 minutes after we sat down if we were lucky and we asked nicely. :rolleyes:

Yes I would consider it excellent service...

If you come late for lunch,and it's been waiting, you get a jug of melted ice!

Do waiters pour your drinks before you arrive!!??:confused:

Have you noticed that all the negative posters always receive bad service?

Hmm , Makes you wonder....

On our cruises our wait staff poured/brought our drinks immediately.

Our wait staff did a great job in the MDR. Always smiling and ready to assist, took care of our kids wants and exceptions with a smile.

Hmm , Makes you wonder....

On our cruises our wait staff poured/brought our drinks immediately.

Our wait staff did a great job in the MDR. Always smiling and ready to assist, took care of our kids wants and exceptions with a smile.

You high rollers miss the point, serving drinks BEFORE you sit down is a breach of serving etiquette, serving them AFTER you are seated is correct, I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

The point being, the post commenting that drinks were served AFTER they were seated is considered EXCELLENT service is ridiculous, but it appears you all are impressed with that.

In the civilized world, drinks are NEVER served before you are seated, but on Poesia it's considered EXCELLENT service if they are not?!?

Emily Post rolls in her grave.

Keep posting, the belly laughs don't stop!

:D:D:D

Have you noticed that all the negative posters always receive bad service ...

Have you noticed how the unrealistically positive posters always default to making it personal by suggesting that issues with MSC are the "fault" of the passengers involved?

In our case none of the people at our table had any sort of "attitude" and none of us complained. In fact we all had sympathy for our waiter because it appeared to us that he was simply overwhelmed and needed some help.

I don't know if he was relatively new or inexperienced but while he constantly looked busy, he was clearly unable to cope. It seemed to us that he had just been given too many tables to serve.

This was why our water was never delivered until well after we sat down ... and we usually had to specifically ask for it. This was why it took forever for our orders to be taken. This was why our food was hardly ever delivered hot.

You've completely missed the point of Zambini's post. It isn't "EXCELLENT" service ... it's merely NORMAL ... and what would be expected on every cruiseline.

Your experience may have been different ... a different waiter perhaps, on a different cruise and maybe a different ship. Just learn to accept that not everyone shared your particular experience. Learn to accept that a negative experience is no less valid than your positive one and doesn't need to be rudely challenged each and every time.

Hmm , Makes you wonder.....

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

And just why would someone write a negative post about excellent service?

Unless I'm missing the point, duh!!!

Once again, always twisting words. WE mean excellent service by this: When the wait staff saw us coming they came over to us,pulled out our chairs, and went to get fresh ICE TEA. When I told them they can just have it there for us each night without running back as each couple got to the table, they said they wanted it FRESH for us, without the ice melting. SO they wanted to give US EXCELLENT service. If this is the correct way, then it was an EXCELLENT way. On other cruise lines I have asked and the tea is just there sitting there. They probably just put it out close to the dining hour. ON MSC he made sure it was FRESH!!

This was why our water was never delivered until well after we sat down ... and we usually had to specifically ask for it. This was why it took forever for our orders to be taken. This was why our food was hardly ever delivered hot.

You've completely missed the point of Zambini's post. It isn't "EXCELLENT" service ... it's merely NORMAL ... and what would be expected on every cruiseline.

Your experience may have been different ... a different waiter perhaps, on a different cruise and maybe a different ship.

I am beginning to think that the Australian experiment truly was or is different than what we have experienced, maybe the line did or is going through some adapting in this market...with that said, Zambini's constant put downs are rarely questioned, yet anyone who dare debate/discuss points is challenged to the end.

My point was that some people are never happy (..and I am not implying that your points are not valid)...I get what you are saying, and your griefs may be valid to you, but not to everybody

Have a good one...

By the way MTL, have a great holiday! Happy New Year too! Thanks for adding to the posts and inputting your experiences. Thanks for standing up too! It is appreciated. Did you click on the post where cruise radio was on board POESIA and did you hear their broadcast...wonderful review for POESIA. Everyone should catch that thread and the broadcast is linked.

You high rollers miss the point, serving drinks BEFORE you sit down is a breach of serving etiquette, serving them AFTER you are seated is correct, I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.:rolleyes:

Had you put the the correct smiley, (on your original reply)...we probably would have caught it.

:rolleyes: = sarchasm

:confused:= confused

Had you put the the correct smiley, (on your original reply)...we probably would have caught it.

:rolleyes: = sarchasm

:confused:= confused

It seems those that are well refined caught it, those of you that didn't well,it says a lot about what you consider fine dining and EXCELLENT service.

The point remains, serving FRESH drinks, (including HOT TEA with FREE honey!) after you are seated is considered standard, expected service even in such restaurants as Waffle House and Chic fil A.

The attempts to justify and defend MSC on these points is laughable and ridiculous, and it's really sad, ( but funny!) to watch it.

Even the waitstaff knew the proper way to serve beverages and had to tell Cam, no, we won't pre-serve the beverages, which was interpreted as EXCELLENT service by the "Rabid" MSC defenders, LOL!

Stick with posting about the truly good points of MSC, the beauty, cleanliness of the ship and free fruit baskets for pool monitors:rolleyes:

One more question: does the room service menu include hot foods? I know there's a charge, and I'm mostly okay with that.

Hi there,

your questions seem to have been lost in the "debate" between those who like MSC and those that don't.

The only hot food on room service is food. It really is more for snacks rather than as a substitute for dinner.

As for your other question, yes Gala night is the same as a formal night.

Thanks to everyone for the additional information. MSC seems deficient in a few things I consider important, but if the prices drop like they did last year I might be able to overlook them.

Just curious, and without starting a battle with others, I'm curious to know what the OP finds deficient when looking at MSC.

It seems those that are well refined caught it, those of you that didn't well,it says a lot about what you consider fine dining and EXCELLENT service.

The point remains, serving FRESH drinks, (including HOT TEA with FREE honey!) after you are seated is considered standard, expected service even in such restaurants as Waffle House and Chic fil A.

...Ah yes WAFFLE HOUSE and CHICK FIL A ...Now it is clear why you are not a fan of MSC, I guess you are not accustomed to authentic, well made food.

...I am sure others have grown tired of these one liners and put downs (mine included)

Enjoy!

Just curious, and without starting a battle with others, I'm curious to know what the OP finds deficient when looking at MSC.

I'm the OP. I didn't mean deficient in a bad sense. Perhaps it might have been better if I'd written that MSC doesn't seem to offer certain things important to me on a cruise. For example, I loathe assigned seating. If I can't have open seating, then I'd prefer an evening buffet...especially on gala/formal nights. I like having a self service laundry onboard, even if I never use it.For comfort's sake, I need a shower of reasonably generous proportions (i.e. Carnival/Cunard/NCL size as opposed to RCI, Celebrity, Princess)as I am also of generous proportions:p.

Other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance. I'd still consider MSC if the price dropped low enough.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

And just why would someone write a negative post about excellent service?

Unless I'm missing the point, duh!!!

Have you noticed how the unrealistically positive posters always default to making it personal by suggesting that issues with MSC are the "fault" of the passengers involved?

In our case none of the people at our table had any sort of "attitude" and none of us complained. In fact we all had sympathy for our waiter because it appeared to us that he was simply overwhelmed and needed some help.

I don't know if he was relatively new or inexperienced but while he constantly looked busy, he was clearly unable to cope. It seemed to us that he had just been given too many tables to serve.

Your experience may have been different ... a different waiter perhaps, on a different cruise and maybe a different ship. Just learn to accept that not everyone shared your particular experience. Learn to accept that a negative experience is no less valid than your positive one and doesn't need to be rudely challenged each and every time.

Poor Guy just can't comprehend the conversation, thanks for explaining it to him.

By the way MTL, have a great holiday! Happy New Year too! Thanks for adding to the posts and inputting your experiences. Thanks for standing up too! It is appreciated. Did you click on the post where cruise radio was on board POESIA and did you hear their broadcast...wonderful review for POESIA. Everyone should catch that thread and the broadcast is linked.

Thank you, Yes I did hear the Cruise Radio broadcast and the others on their site...made it one of my favorites.

Have a great week end...in whatever you do.

Archived