'Class' and 'Cruising'

Rum Rat

Oh you mean breeding, know your place and that stuff. It don't bother me much, I am happy to mix with those who have an inside cabin, even eat with them if I have to.

No no no we could never associate with any one not in a superior cabin.

It would lower the whole tone.

Happy cruising

Dai

Class is something you cannot buy or pretend to have, no matter how hard you try and you can usually spot someone with real class a short while after meeting them. I've seen people on ships dressed immaculately, well-spoken and well educated, but there's always some little thing that lets them down. There was a woman in the village where I grew up, who had a large family and wasn't well off. She worked hard and never, ever spoke ill of anyone, always found some good in every person and nobody ever had a bad word to say about her. Now that's what I call class.

I have to admit, I do my best but would fail when it comes to class

Now that is class! Have a great time.

You can always tell a man with real class, he has a hankie for his head and a seperate one for his nose :D

Read Anthony Minghella's "Two Planks and a Passion" :D:D

Mike AKA Thomas Zachary :).

:D

So first question do you associate a "class" to a certain "SEG" (Social Economic Group). Someone who has been "brought up" in a deprived inner-city suburb is always going to have a different opinion from someone who lives on a country estate and got bought a horse for their 13th Birthday!

The question of class in the cruising industry has always been like the Titanic era, where the 1st class dressed for dinner whilst those in 3rd/steerage below decks were drinking, dancing and having fun..

The problem you have is when people use "class" as a way of defining a persons social behaviour or likeability.. Because they don't move their soup spoon away from them, use the wrong knife for a meal course..

The world becomes a better place where class is removed and people look beyond what someone wears, how they eat, who they worship..

So maybe on the extremes you are unlikely to get a Lord doing a cruise on Easycruise or a minimum wage shop assistant on a cruise on Cunard.

On the mainstream cruise lines, which I now include P&O, Carnival and RCI you will get a mixture of "classes" some arrogant snobs, some loud-mouthed tattooed drunk.

During my recent RCI cruise it was interesting to note that on formal nights outside the main dining area it was about 50/50 in the theatre/lounges with people in Jeans sitting next to those still in the Tuxes but there was never a bad comment or avoidance of conversations etc between the groups.

So in summary class and cruising is only something if you make it something..

Class is something you cannot buy or pretend to have, no matter how hard you try and you can usually spot someone with real class a short while after meeting them. I've seen people on ships dressed immaculately, well-spoken and well educated, but there's always some little thing that lets them down. There was a woman in the village where I grew up, who had a large family and wasn't well off. She worked hard and never, ever spoke ill of anyone, always found some good in every person and nobody ever had a bad word to say about her. Now that's what I call class.

I have to admit, I do my best but would fail when it comes to class

Great Answer.

Hope you enjoy your Christmas and New Year!

Carl

So first question do you associate a "class" to a certain "SEG" (Social Economic Group). Someone who has been "brought up" in a deprived inner-city suburb is always going to have a different opinion from someone who lives on a country estate and got bought a horse for their 13th Birthday!

The question of class in the cruising industry has always been like the Titanic era, where the 1st class dressed for dinner whilst those in 3rd/steerage below decks were drinking, dancing and having fun..

The problem you have is when people use "class" as a way of defining a persons social behaviour or likeability.. Because they don't move their soup spoon away from them, use the wrong knife for a meal course..

The world becomes a better place where class is removed and people look beyond what someone wears, how they eat, who they worship..

So maybe on the extremes you are unlikely to get a Lord doing a cruise on Easycruise or a minimum wage shop assistant on a cruise on Cunard.

On the mainstream cruise lines, which I now include P&O, Carnival and RCI you will get a mixture of "classes" some arrogant snobs, some loud-mouthed tattooed drunk.

During my recent RCI cruise it was interesting to note that on formal nights outside the main dining area it was about 50/50 in the theatre/lounges with people in Jeans sitting next to those still in the Tuxes but there was never a bad comment or avoidance of conversations etc between the groups.

So in summary class and cruising is only something if you make it something..

Thanks for expressing so eloquently the response I have been trying to think of this morning lol! :)

Actually although I agree with the above, when I was a stewardess, I met quite a few real aristocrats, Lords and Ladies and they were totally delightful, easy to chat to - in short they had real class. I also met some nouveau riche who had come into money from some means or another and they talked to you like you were a piece of mud or a servant.

Manners maketh man in my book. Manners come from your parents. Mine had no money, but they were a classy pair :-)

You will need a third one :rolleyes:

Thomas Zachary

Anne ‘Richard show him your wipe’

Oxford ‘What’s this?’

Richard ‘My wipe’

Oxford ‘I’m lost’

Richard produces a large handkerchief and blows his nose

‘Ha!’

Richard hands it to Anne who blows her nose

Richard ‘Robert’

Robert blows his nose. He laughs. ‘It saves the sleeve, eh?’

Oxford ‘Whose invention is this?’

Anne ‘Richards’

Oxford ‘Tis very strange’

Richard ‘How strange! ‘Tis very wonderous! I have many and use them variously: one for the nose; one for the arse; one for the brow’

Anne ‘An he mix them up’

“Two Planks and a Passion” Anthony Minghella Act 1 Scene 2 Set in 1392

Thus you need three :rolleyes:

Class means nothing these days.

Give me someone with good manners any day of the week and they will rise above anyone, no matter what supposed class they are meant or claiming to be.

It is good manners which is need, nothing else.

YOu know you've got class when you can say the 'f' word and still sound posh...

Class is about a confidence about who you are and where you come from - so there is no need to put others down...

Until I had children, I tended to frequent more high class establishments than cruise liners, (I'm a great fan of the the Four Seasons and Sofitel hotels and like to Safari in style)... Does this mean I have class - not necessarily - just money.

I went to public school and am a doctor (of medicine) and am a paid member of the Judiciary... does this mean I have class? I doubt it.

I grew up in the country and could ride horses by the age of 2 and keep my horses at home... does this mean I have class? Not necessarily (just mucky finger nails)

Upper class / middle class / working class is not something you earn and not something you learn... it is something you are and it is very difficult but not impossible to move between classes... It is about the way you treat and act towards other people...

The cruises I have been on have (P&O, Cunard and princess) all have a mixture of classes all I would think would class themselves as 'middle class'... All I know is if you have to make anyone feel inferior to make yourself feel superior you have no class at all.

Blitz

Archived