Where to go? Tropicante?

DawnCt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1156265&highlight=dream+attempt+at+a+review&page=5

We were here last year. If you scroll to post 88 you will see an older couple in chairs there. If you keep scrolling you will see a plastic table and chairs behind the loungers. Those are at Tropicante. Some other photos I shot looking left and right...so don't assume all of them are from Tropicante. I'm sure the loungers would be fine. I never find those regular plastic chairs with tables comfortable but they did the job!

I may have missed it.. Anyone know how much it is to rent the chairs? I think this is the place to go.. Comparing that all inclusive to this.. this seems to be the one to go to.

thank you in advance for your input

We arrived early (about 11am) and it looked like we were the first ones to arrive at the Tropicante. Jorge set up the lounge chairs and umbrellas for us and there was no pressure to buy anything...he just left a menu with us. We didn't have reservations, but there were only two cruise ships in port. It would probably be a good idea to make reservations when there are more ships in port. We just ordered drinks, snacks, and lunch and ran a tab. When we were ready to leave about 3 1/2 hours later, Jorge just brought a bill and gave us some handmade necklaces that he made. Didn't take advantage of the massages, but they were available just a few feet away. Hope this helps.

GO PACKERS! Thanks for the info. Thinking this is the route we will go. Will try to arrive early too and will definitely set things up before hand. Seems to be a cheaper alternative for 4 of us. Thanks for all the help. What did you do in Roatan if I may ask?

We didn't stop in Roatan. Our ship stopped in Costa Maya and Cozumel. We didn't book any excursions in Cozumel and decided to do some shopping and took a nice walk back to the International Pier.

I checked and there will be 2 ships in port when we are at Costa Maya. Do u still think we don t need ressies?

If you get there early, it shouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't hurt to make a reservation in advance. We arrived around 11am and were the only ones there. I was amazed that most people never ventured beyond the pre-fab mall at the pier!

We were at the Tropicante last week during our cruise on the NCL Pearl. I had emailed Steve at the Tropicante about two week prior to our arrival and made reservations for two loungers. Both my wife and I were very pleased. It was easy to get to a $3 per person cab ride from the port. Upon arrival we met Steve an American from Texas who welcomed us and introduced us to his staff including two excellent servers Jorge and Ricardo who were very nice with good English skills. They set us up with loungers and an umbrella at no charge, checked on us often. Costs for drinks including buckets of beer were very reasonable as were the prices for Margarittas. Later when we were ready for lunch they set up a table for us and watched our loungers while we ate. My wife had the Arroz Con Pollo which she thought was excellent and the portions were very nice size alot of food. If you are interested in other services Steve's staff is very well versed with the local vendors for such things as messages etc. Steve circulated around the beach to ensure that we were enjoying our visit and just for general conversation. They ran a tab for us for the day, we settled up and getting back to the port was very easy. There was a taxi stand next to the Tropicante and the return trip to the port was $2 per person. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would highly go ther again on our next visit to Costa Maya.

Gary

Thank you- can't beat the price.. =) looking forward to this.. Can't wait for this SNOW to stop and I am on that plane to sunshine.

If you go tell him you read a good review from Gary in Ohio. Plus tell Jorge he is an internet star he will get a charge out of it! They are very nice people and by the way the shop owner next door was offerring us good discounts clothing and other items and they were not pushy which my wife really appreciated.

I may have missed it.. Anyone know how much it is to rent the chairs? I think this is the place to go.. Comparing that all inclusive to this.. this seems to be the one to go to.

thank you in advance for your input

Just back from the radiance today and we went to the tropicante.. Very nice spot ,, you can see the ships in port and the view is breathtaking... the water is so pretty and the reefs out in the water break the waves so its nice to go out and take a dip..

First the taxi seemed to not know where this place was so they called dispatch and then off we went... for 2 dollars for each of us (2ppl) and a fast and somewhat crazy ride to the beach... 5 to 10 ride.

We didn't have reservations but with only two ships in port not a problem... We were the first ones there. Yes people will walk the beach to ask you to buy but they will leave if you just say no thanks...

We were told to go to the chairs (they dusted them off) and we sat, no charge for the chairs or umbrella and then they said to let them know when we were ready for beers... 6 beers in a bucket with lots of ice for $10.00 you can mix beers for variety like we did. They were all mexican beers very good.

We did have a message for 30$ pp and YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY this was the best message I have ever had. they take you to a upstairs area so its semi-private then having them on the beach which I appreciated.

Steve the owner whom is american will make sure your happy and not pressured into buying things you don't want... I will certianly come back again ... and can't wait until.... Thanks Steve and to all the staff. Oh and yes they have a clean bathroom.

(Steve hope the super glue came off your hands) he was fixing a pan and had a glue issue...) Thanks for the necklesses... We wish you a very good 2011...

After reading posts, decided to book a lounge chair at Tropicante when the Epic is there Prez week---already booked. But, everything everyone said is true--Steve has written back twice is is totally accomodating. So, I'll read in an adirondack chair when I'm not in the water....that assumes I can get out of NY, snow capital of the world!!!:p

were heading to tropicante on the 22nd on the spirit. we are very excited from what we have read and just have one small question.

Is there any snorkeling at tropicante? or is this just a relaxing beach?

we would love to go snorkeling and hope this is the place.

thanks

sesasheep

We enjoyed the Tropicante even though the weather was not very cooperative. Easy to get to (bus is just outside of the port area) and safe! Steve, the owner, sat with us and gave us alot of info about the island, etc. Really fun day at the beach with some fabulous folks! And cheap.. beer is 6 for $10!

were heading to tropicante on the 22nd on the spirit. we are very excited from what we have read and just have one small question.

Is there any snorkeling at tropicante? or is this just a relaxing beach?

we would love to go snorkeling and hope this is the place.

thanks

sesasheep

Been to CM a few times and don't think there's good snorkeling anywhere. It's mostly a sandy bottom with no coral for fish to hang around. You will see some people snorkeling but they aren't seeing too much of anything.

Also, we've been to the Tropicante and would definitely return. We took the bus and got off at the 2nd stop. We weren't sure which way to go and also wanted to walk around on the Malecon. When I asked for directions to the Tropicante, I was told numerous things...it's closed, it's a dump, never heard of the place, etc. When I made reservations, Steve had told me that the other vendors would say those things. We kept walking and found it ourselves.

Because of the situation in Belize, can a couple just "show-up" at Tropicante for the day?

We are unsure what is going to happen with our cruise on 3-27-11 and researching. Looks like a wonderful place, but everything is totally up in the air as of now.

Thanks for any info!

Lisa

We were at the Tropicante last week during our cruise on the NCL Pearl. I had emailed Steve at the Tropicante about two week prior to our arrival and made reservations for two loungers. Both my wife and I were very pleased. It was easy to get to a $3 per person cab ride from the port. Upon arrival we met Steve an American from Texas who welcomed us and introduced us to his staff including two excellent servers Jorge and Ricardo who were very nice with good English skills. They set us up with loungers and an umbrella at no charge, checked on us often. Costs for drinks including buckets of beer were very reasonable as were the prices for Margarittas. Later when we were ready for lunch they set up a table for us and watched our loungers while we ate. My wife had the Arroz Con Pollo which she thought was excellent and the portions were very nice size alot of food. If you are interested in other services Steve's staff is very well versed with the local vendors for such things as messages etc. Steve circulated around the beach to ensure that we were enjoying our visit and just for general conversation. They ran a tab for us for the day, we settled up and getting back to the port was very easy. There was a taxi stand next to the Tropicante and the return trip to the port was $2 per person. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would highly go ther again on our next visit to Costa Maya.

Gary

It was a pleasure to talk to you and your wife that day on the beach. We had a great day at Tropicante and Jorge was great...so were the cheap buckets of beer and the complimentary chips and salsa. I'm sorry that I never met Steve. Maybe next time. ;)

Tammy

Because of the situation in Belize, can a couple just "show-up" at Tropicante for the day?

We are unsure what is going to happen with our cruise on 3-27-11 and researching. Looks like a wonderful place, but everything is totally up in the air as of now.

Thanks for any info!

Lisa

We were there a couple of weeks ago and just showed up without reservations. We had a table, umbrella and lounge chairs. There were two ships in port that day...The Allure and the Pearl.

It was a pleasure to talk to you and your wife that day on the beach. We had a great day at Tropicante and Jorge was great...so were the cheap buckets of beer and the complimentary chips and salsa. I'm sorry that I never met Steve. Maybe next time. ;)

Tammy

It was great meeting you and your family also. Now I guess we are back to reality fighting the ice and snow!

Recently returned from a day at Tropicante. Had a wonderful day. Steve, the owner is great and Jorge, the waiter took care of us all day. They know where to direct you for any activities you may want. Their prices and service cannot be beat. Can't wait to return.

I'm so glad i found this thread. My parents and I were looking for something to do in Costa Maya and weren't sure what to do. This seems like the perfect place for us. I looked at the menu a second ago and my mouth is watering! Everything seems amazing and reasonably priced. Thank you for all of y'all's excellent input.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'm in the minority but we weren't all that impressed with Tropicante. The facilities were fine, and our waiter was attentive, but the food was mediocre (and therefore overpriced) in my opinion. My DH had fish tacos and I ordered steak enchiladas, which were supposed to be in a spicy chipotle sauce. Very Americanized, even though I told the waiter I wanted spicy - it basically tasted like Old El Paso canned enchilada sauce. Also, beware of anything that's offered "on the house" - we were offered chips and a shot of tequila, which we accepted, but were ultimately charged for. I would have argued but we were hot, tired and ready to get back to the ship, and I figured they probably needed the $7 a lot more than I do.

The beach in front of Tropicante is nicer than at some other places on the strip, with less sea grass, which is what really attracted us. However, next time we'll head to Nohoch Key or somewhere else for food, then find a place to swim.

Archived