First-timer questions

LTCOP

Good Morning Meldreth!

We have some cruise friends from England who always talk about Tenerife and love to spend time there:-) All those islands look so lovely! Is it a direct flight for you from London to the Canaries then? How do you connect to the various islands once you get there?

How wonderful about your vacation house!!! Do you get to spend much time there? We have been to the south of France twice, as part of a cruise, of course:-) One time tendered at Cannes, but did a ship excursion to Nice and Monaco. Last summer, we tendered at Monaco, but we had set up a private tour with others on the cruise. It was wonderful. We visited Valbonne, Gourdon, Tourettes-sur-Loup, St. Paul de Vence, and La Turbie. We were well away from the big tour groups (until St. Paul:-). Is your place near any of these places? We loved Tourettes - not so crowded and like walking around a fairy-tale place:-) Our favorite souvenir was bringing back a bag of herbes de provence, which we have been putting to delicious use:-) Having a house there must be wonderful!!!

Pam

Helllo, I'm a new member to cruisecritics, this question is for cluso, you mentioned a gift form to purchase wine, I cannot find this form on the Star Clipper web site, can you help me out, We will be sailing on January 29th on the Star Clipper from Balboa to St Maarten. Thanks Lynne

Lynne and Pam,

We book our SC trips through Boat US and they always send the form. Whoever you book through should be able to get it for you. I gave the info to a CC friend on our last trip and he had no problem getting it. Call SC if you can't get it through your TA. It can all be done online. Do it at least 7 days before sailing because there will be a short notice fee added after that. Since we were on a long TA, it worked out well. Also, we paid upfront in US dollars, so no conversion fees. The house wine on the ship is OK, @ 14 euros a bottle. Other wines start @ 20 euros on up. All the tips and taxes are already included in the prices of wine on the ship.

Lynne, We will be getting off the Clipper from the westbound Barbados to Panama leg, the same day you get on! :p

LTCOP, yes we fly from London Stansted to whichever island we are going to, there are ferries interconnecting the island once you are there, but we always stay on whichever island we started from.

Yes, we are very fortunate having a holiday house in S.France. We can be in Barcelona in 3hrs (driving) Andorra (for skiing) 2 hrs and it only takes 1.5hrs from uk by air. In summer we go for 1 month (with our dog who has a passport!) and it is 10 hours driving from Calais. We go through the tunnel from England and usually stop overnight on route. When we go for less than 2 weeks we fly and hire a car when we get there. We try and go every couple of months.

Ordering some wine ahead sounds like a very smart thing to do. Being able to pay in U.S. Dollars would save a good amount of money. I'll be anxious to see the list and am glad to hear their house wines are good! I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for all the stuff that comes with final payment:-)

Pam

Hi Meldreth!

The location of your house gives you such marvelous vacation options!!! I just think that sounds like the most wonderful thing!!! Do they really give your dog a passport? I guess I've never traveled with an animal, so have never thought about that:-)

This week has gone so fast and Monday will be back to school for me! Not sure I'm ready for that:-) Planning for cruises gets me through those long days:-)

Wishing you a Happy New Year - which you will be enjoying a few hours before me!:-)

Pam

Happy New Year to all of the first-time Clippers cruisers and to all of the Clippers experienced cruisers who have been so helpful! (I'm sure we'll have lots more questions for you as the year goes on:-)

Pam

Thank you for the information, ordering wine prior to the cruise and paying in us dollars is great(especially since I'm a wine lover). This is our 2nd cruise with Star Clipper, we sail 2 years ago on the Royal for 2 weeks and could have stayed for another 2. Kim enjoy your cruise, maybe one day we will cruise together. Happy New Year to all Cruise Critic members!!!

LTCOP, we have to have a pet passport in the UK otherwise the dog has to go into quaranteen for 6 months when you bring it back. They have to be vaccinated for rabies and have a microchip which. The document has to be stamped by a vet 24-48 hrs before you are allowed back in UK.

Happy New Year to you to!

I seem to be missing something here folks - can you help me out - why would you want to pre-order wine? Is there a limited stock or something? Is this wine to take home as a gift or wine to drink with you meals?

Am I just having a 'blonde moment' here!

What is the currency used on board?

Technically, you are not allowed to bring wine/alcohol on the ship. We preordered wine because we had very few stops on the Transatlantic, and wanted to have some in our cabin and on the deck. The cost for us Yankees for SOME of the wines is a better deal because it is in US dollars if we prepay. All on ship charges are in Euros, so that can add to the cost (depending on the exchange rate), and many charge cards have an added fee for international transactions. That being said, the house wine @14 E is OK, and the wine list starts around 20 E. Prices include tips. We always bought wine for dinner in the dining room. No, I haven't seen them run out of wine! :p

Meldreth,

That is really interesting about traveling with a pet! I guess I never thought about what it would entail!

Somehow, now that it is 2011, the cruise seems closer:-) But it is back to reality tomorrow for me, with school starting back up. Took one of my sons to the airport early this morning to fly back to his Army base in New York. I guess the holidays are really over:-)

And we appear to be between all the nasty snow and rain storms that have been slowing travel over the country so much the last week or so. I know you have had a nasty winter in England too. He landed early!!! I am hoping to get our air figured out for ths cruise in the next week or so. It's appearing to be more challenging than usual with less choices from where we live.

Pam

Hi Meldreth!

That must have been a lovely honeymoon! I'm guessing they were in New York City? Sam's base is way up north in New York near the Canadian border. I think it is about a 5-6 hour drive to get to New York City - so he's never visited there yet. He wants to do that though:-)

It was back to school day, but no kids (I teach high school special education). It was a work day and I was able to get a lot done!

We are one day closer now:-)

Pam

I know it's so funny - New York is actually a large state! I had to learn that myself when he got stationed there:-)

We need to see more of England too:-) We've been to London twice for a very short time. One time we were on a cruise and docked in Harwich and did a ship excursion into London. Another time we flew into Gatwick, stayed the night in London, went to Southhampton for the cruise and stayed in London a night after the cruise. We have barely scratched the surface of London, let alone the rest of the country!!!

Where did you go in Florida? Was it for a cruise?

Pam

Hi Meldreth!

The Disney trip is such a good time - especially with kids! There is so much to do and see in that area! I could use some of that nice Florida weather right now:-) We leave for Key West in 5 weeks. Not that I'm counting or anything:-) However, Florida has had some record cold weather this winter, so hope that is gone when we get there!

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

First timer question:

We leave for our Treasure Island trip in a little over a month. We paid in full over a month ago. We haven't received any other info other than confirmation of payment. Don't they send any documents or specific info beforehandL? Thanks for any info.

First timer question:

We leave for our Treasure Island trip in a little over a month. We paid in full over a month ago. We haven't received any other info other than confirmation of payment. Don't they send any documents or specific info beforehandL? Thanks for any info.

My understanding is that you get a packet via mail about 3 weeks prior to sailing.

Pvmeistral,

I'm glad you asked that question. I wish the website had more info:-) I will not go crazy wondering where my stuff is now, knowing not to expect it until 3 weeks before. I wish it came earlier though, as I love looking through that stuff:-) At least your cruise is close!!! Have a great time!!!

Pam

Archived