First-timer questions

LTCOP

It's a weird situation...

We won't know which cruise we're going on until 30-days before the departure (we won it in a raffle -- amazing!). It will either be... The Royal Clipper to the Grenadines, the Star Flyer from Panama to Costa Rica, or the Star Clipper to the Leeward Islands. All late-November departures -- it's planned to be our honeymoon. They'll place us according to where they have space, I guess.

It's so exciting!

Jan. 8-15, 2011 - first time with Star Clipper, but have done many other cruise lines.

YOU WILL LOVE IT! Captain Brunon and the crew are great. The ship is beautiful/fabulous lines/polished interior...and when the sails go up as it departs the port and the "Conquest of Paradise" begins to play - it is breath taking. We had good weather, but the ship does make one 'rock n roll' with the waves. Food and presentation excellent - good variety....nice bar service....everyone gets enough exercise going up and down the many steps and on and off tenders that the fitness room is rarely used.

A nice mix of international passengers and crew....we were a group of 20, but mingled with all.

I would be happy to try to answer any questions as best I can. I will try to check back to the boards. We do not have any future cruise plans right now!

Hi Siren741!

How fun is that?!!! Like any one of those choices would not be spectacular! And I think it'd be fun to see which one you get! The only problem being not able to book air until late. Or is air included with your win? And that will be a nice time of year to get away from Boston (or Iowa!)!!!

Pam

Alys,

Glad to hear you had a great time! Did you do ship excursions or just do ports on your own? Did you find the ship docked according to schedule or was there a schedule? I'd also be interested on details about dinner.

Thanks,

Pam

They were right on schedule the whole time....we had great weather - no problems with tendering/docking.

Did the ship's excursion for the snorkeling in Dominica. We had been to the most of the ports before, so had already done private tours in years past.

Most of our group did the ship's Railway tour in St. Kitts....we enjoyed the sailing of the ship to the next tendering spot.

Iles de Saintes is a "cute area" - fun just to walk around

Martinique - grab a taxi for a short tour....the town is not too good

We went more for the ship experience - rather than all the tours

In Antigua - walked to Nelson Dockyard....toured ourselves - taxi to the beach barbecue.

I have posted on the Star Clipper FB page a picture.....and will posting a few more.

Breakfast and Lunch are buffets....good choices/omelet station too....and lunches have different themes.

Dinner - served - 7:30 to 10

We went at 7:30.....2 appetizers, soup, 4 entrees (fish, meat, veg...and always steak and FF)...cheese....and desserts.

We all thought they were delicious.

The menu is posted early in the piano bar plus they bring the entrees on display for viewing too.

Bar prices reasonable...and the house wines are "just fine!"

Hi Siren741!

How fun is that?!!! Like any one of those choices would not be spectacular! And I think it'd be fun to see which one you get! The only problem being not able to book air until late. Or is air included with your win? And that will be a nice time of year to get away from Boston (or Iowa!)!!!

Pam

I'm 90% sure air isn't included, but I don't think I'll have much trouble booking something. :)

And I'm already reading up on all the destinations... as we're about to get 8 more inches of snow in Boston! :eek:

Siren 741,

I'm really getting tired of winter! It seems like it snows here every day now, but I know you have had so much more on the East coast, so I should not complain:-) We have had so much awful cold this week, but my son, who is stationed at Fr. Drum, NY, has a forecast of -27 for tomororow night! Makes cruise talk so much better:-)

I'm trying to book air for our cruise now, but it is so expensive!!! And we are now trying to figure out if we should try for a 11:45 a.m flight or stay an extra day in Athens. Star Clippers says to not take a flight before noon, but 11:45 is so close to noon. So what to do??? Not like an extra day in Athens would be bad, but just cost more:-)

Pam

Alys,

The food sounds like it is wonderful!!! I will love the omelette station station in the morning (or will hate when I try to avoid it, when I have ate too much the night before:-)

Glad to hear things ran on schedule. I will check out your pictures!!! It sounds like you had a great cruise!!!

Pam

I'm trying to book air for our cruise now, but it is so expensive!!! And we are now trying to figure out if we should try for a 11:45 a.m flight or stay an extra day in Athens. Star Clippers says to not take a flight before noon, but 11:45 is so close to noon. So what to do??? Not like an extra day in Athens would be bad, but just cost more:-)

Pam

We're probably going to try to do an extra day wherever we start, but that will be because I don't like rushing. :)

Archived