Newbies Need Recommendation for Travel Ins.

Wannaknow

We have not cruised for quite a while. Can anyone with current cruise insurance experience recommend any good ones to use?

We just booked about 10 days ago. Do we have to get insurance immediately? What are things to look out for.

Would appreciate any help we can get.

You need to book your travel insurance soon or you will miss out on cancel for any reason and pre-exsisting conditions. the time frame depends on the insurance policy. Could be that you must buy by 15 days after trip deposit or 20 or 30. Two will allow pre-exsisting conditions if purchased within 24 hours of final payment.

Google travel insurance and you will find several trip insurance companies where you can compare policies from different companies.

Like insure my trip dot com ( take out the spaces and add a .

Tina

We always use Trip Insurance Store and have been very, very satisfied. I would suggest calling them as they are very knowledgeable and helpful and will give recommendations for your particular needs. You can visit their website for further information.

Happy cruising!!

We've used Travelex for the past few years. Once had a 200.00 visit to the ships doctor, they reimbursed us quick with no questions asked. Their coverage is PRIMARY medical coverage - I'd look for that with whatever policy you buy. Lot easier than having to go home and deal with your insurer first.:) I think their requirement on pre-existing conditions is to buy the insurance withing 21 days of trip deposit.

We just booked about 10 days ago. Do we have to get insurance immediately?

Yes, if you want to be covered for any pre-existing conditions. We always purchase through Travelguard, and to have a pre-existing condition waiver, you must purchase a policy within 15 days of the date you made the initial deposit for your trip.

6rugrats - you certainly have a lot of travel experience. When we last cruised (6 - 7 yrs. ago?), we used Travelguard. No claims - no problems.

But I have since heard that AIG, of which Travelguard is an affiliate, is undergoing reorganization. This bothers us.

We are cruising on Oceania & on that board, I also posed this question. There were several very bad reviews of Travelguard and several good ones. It is really hard to know which company to choose.

6rugrats - you certainly have a lot of travel experience. When we last cruised (6 - 7 yrs. ago?), we used Travelguard. No claims - no problems.

But I have since heard that AIG, of which Travelguard is an affiliate, is undergoing reorganization. This bothers us.

We are cruising on Oceania & on that board, I also posed this question. There were several very bad reviews of Travelguard and several good ones. It is really hard to know which company to choose.

I've filed multiple claims with TravelGuard and had no issues. The vast majority of complaints with Travel Insurance companies have to do with either the insurance not covering something the policyholder wishes it would or with insufficient documentation being sent in for a claim. The claim may be for something that was not the policyholder's fault, but if something isn't covered, it isn't covered. EVERY insurance company out there will have positive and negative reviews.

I wouldn't worry about TravelGuard being a subsidiary of AIG. If AIG was going to go under, it would have already... and TG itself was already re-org'd some time ago to go under the Chartis subsidiary.

Archived